Virginia Bumper Height Laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia Bumper Height Laws

I'm moving from Michigan to Virginia in 2 weeks, and was reviewing the VA inspection requirements (Michigan has NO vehicle inspections) specifically the bumper height laws. This is how the law reads:

What are the bumper height laws in the state of Virginia?
Section 46.2-1063 states:

Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail. -- No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

I measured both of my cars (2001 Miata and 2004 TSX) The Miata is 13" from the ground to the bottom of the main bumper support, and the TSX is 13.5". Is the 14" measurement a MUST to pass the state inspection?

I've searched and was unable to find much on the subject - or I searched using the wrong terms Any help anyone? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Racer

here's what VA checks for inspections:

Brakes, headlights, signal lights, other lights, steering, suspension, exhaust system, fuel system, tires, hood latch, emisson control, windshield, wipers, other glass, mirror, doors, seat, seat belts, floor pan, defroster, and horn.

I doubt any dealers or gas stations are checking for the height of your bumper. As an FYI, gas stations are much more forgiving than dealers. That reminds me, I need to do mine before the end of this month.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They wont check the height on a regular inspection. The only time you should have a problem with that is if an officer pulls you over and decides he wants to be an ass that day. I've known a few people to get citations for either being too high or low.

-Shaun
Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Switch
I'm moving from Michigan to Virginia in 2 weeks, and was reviewing the VA inspection requirements (Michigan has NO vehicle inspections) specifically the bumper height laws. This is how the law reads:

What are the bumper height laws in the state of Virginia?
Section 46.2-1063 states:

Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail. -- No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

I measured both of my cars (2001 Miata and 2004 TSX) The Miata is 13" from the ground to the bottom of the main bumper support, and the TSX is 13.5". Is the 14" measurement a MUST to pass the state inspection?

I've searched and was unable to find much on the subject - or I searched using the wrong terms Any help anyone? Thanks!
Matt...also note the phrase "horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards".

As I understand this, it means the metal bar that your bumper cover, for lack of a better word, covers. You'll find the botton of this rail is a few inches higher than the bottom of the painted vehicle body work.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Matt...also note the phrase "horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards".

As I understand this, it means the metal bar that your bumper cover, for lack of a better word, covers. You'll find the botton of this rail is a few inches higher than the bottom of the painted vehicle body work.
Lol, so I'm even lower than I should be!

Thanks for the help guys - just wanted to make sure it wasn't something regularly checked...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, many VA gas stations can perform the state inspection and certify it and get you the necessary sticker. (You WILL get pulled over without a valid sticker).

They tend to be very lenient on anything not safety related, aka suspension. Just make sure you don't have any lightbulbs out.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Brooks
here's what VA checks for inspections:

Brakes, headlights, signal lights, other lights, steering, suspension, exhaust system, fuel system, tires, hood latch, emisson control, windshield, wipers, other glass, mirror, doors, seat, seat belts, floor pan, defroster, and horn.

I doubt any dealers or gas stations are checking for the height of your bumper. As an FYI, gas stations are much more forgiving than dealers. That reminds me, I need to do mine before the end of this month.
My beater accord dropp on Tein SS was rejected by a local gas station for being too low, but my slammed TSX passed every time no problem at Radley Acura. Take it to Radley
Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xizor
My beater accord dropp on Tein SS was rejected by a local gas station for being too low, but my slammed TSX passed every time no problem at Radley Acura. Take it to Radley
Awesome - thanks for the advice! I'm going to need a good dealer in the area.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reach
Yes, many VA gas stations can perform the state inspection and certify it and get you the necessary sticker. (You WILL get pulled over without a valid sticker).

They tend to be very lenient on anything not safety related, aka suspension. Just make sure you don't have any lightbulbs out.
Thank God the Virginia authorities are cracking down on all those bumper-terrorists, instead of wasting their time worrying about keeping guns out of the hands of known wack-jobs on college campuses.