Used TSX with 800 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used TSX with 800 miles...

I stopped by the dealer last night just to see what was on the lot, and they had a used Meteor Silver 6sp. It only had 800 miles on it. Apparently, some couple bought it and then decided they didn't want it, couldn't afford it, whatever, and returned it a month later. So, now it's an Acura certified used car, with a 5 year, 62,000 mile warranty.

I figured that even though it only had 800 miles on it, it was still a used car, so I offered $25,000 for it. After a couple of go-arounds, they didn't budge at $26,500, and I walked out. I mean, I can buy a brand new one for $500 more. The dealer was emphasizing that the 6speeds are still hard to find, and that the extra warranty basically offset any "use" the car had.

Now I'm actually considering going back and getting it. Of course, the lure is that I could be driving it tonight. MS is my first choice in color, and I haven't seen one around with the 6 sp, and the extra warranty is kinda nice.

If I'm being foolish, please talk some sense into me!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course you're not being foolish. Just keep playing the game with them and you'll get them to come down. 6MT isn't as rare as they claim it to be. I'm sure you can go to one of the local dealers to get $500 off a new car, so that dealership is smoking crack. That car wasn't at Courtesy was it?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro

It actually doesn't seem like a bad deal. It is certified, but depending how they drove it for the first 800 miles could determine how durable it will be. their warranty is only 1 more year/12k miles more than the factory. If you don't mind buying a barely used TSX, you should check out the SSM on eBay.

You should ask yourself, do you really care if the car has been used a little? Do you want a virgin car? Shop around, I'm sure some dealer will be willing to sell you a brand new car for $500 less than MSRP. And of course..... you'll have to wait. Best things comes to those who wait. If you rush into the car, you might regret it later.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
How much does that extra warranty cost if you were to buy it? 800 miles is nothing IMO, try and talk him down another few hundred and then pick it up. Also try and get more info on why it was returned??
Old 08-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Listen... people have been dealing on these cars much lower than the price of this used one. Here would be my point to them.. I'd deal on the used or order the new. Even better, find another dealer to bid against them. Don't let the lure make you pay more for a used car... its still used, nice, but used and you'd be willing to help them out by not having it sit on their lot any longer.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
More On

Originally posted by domn
.....800 miles is nothing IMO, try and talk him down another few hundred and then pick it up. Also try and get more info on why it was returned??
IMHO, don't spend much time or energy trying to get more info. No offense to salesmen, it's just human nature -- they couldn't be expected to tell anything resembling the truth. Maybe it would be, maybe it wouldn't -- you'd never know. Ask if you want, but don't go by it very much no matter what it is.

Seems most of you agree with Dom about 800 miles not being any big deal. But I always heard, "As soon as you drive a new car off the lot, it depreciates [X amount of money]" -- in this case, I'd say, a couple thou.

But even if that is so, the thing is still just supply/demand. By rights, I do think the price should be expected to be at least 2K off MSRP. If you can't get it for that, IMO it means TSX is hotter than most of us think, and just about as hot as I expected it would become.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

The warranty that is on the car is part of Acura's Certified Pre-Owned benefits package. You get 1 additional year and 12000 miles added onto the existing factory warranty's remaining days/miles. That's just part of the car if it qualifies to be certified (which in this case it does). Don't let them tell you that they're throwing it in or using it as some sort of negotiating point. It's free for all intents and purposes. The other thing to consider is that the car is TITLED, and has now made itself depreciate. If the car was technically new (never titled) and was just a car that had miles from test drives, it would be worth more than the car that has been titled. In other words, the price is way too high at $26,500 for it and it to be titled. You can get a new one for that that has no miles and has not been titled (and has not depreciated at all either). What this comes down to is: just buy a NEW one. You don't want to have a car that has its second owner in 1 month and pay too much for it. Listen to me on this one. I'm not saying this because I'm a salesperson. I'm saying it because I offer fair, well-informed advice.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

listen to kurt!

anyway, the dealer probably have already ripped off the couples for thousands of dollars, now they are try to sell it as a new car!?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Racer

I agree with Kurt and rzee.

Sure the wait is tough, but you should be able to get a brand new TSX for a few hundred LESS than they want for this USED one. The TSX is hot, but they're out there on the lots -- 4 of them at my local dealer yesterday. Don't let car buyer's fever push you into throwing money away
Old 08-07-2003, 10:59 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I agree with the rest. I bought a "new" Arctic Blue AT demo with 1900 miles on it for 25,250, including splash guards, wheel locks, and trunk tray. When I picked it up, it had a few small rock chips in the hood paint and grille, so they replaced the grille and touched up the paint.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the advice. I knew I was being a little too emotional and "spur of the moment" about it all. The sad thing is, I have no doubt someone will walk into that dealership (it's Mile High by the way) and buy that car for their price. I mean, after all, they let me walk out, right?

I've been driving my wife's 4Runner for the last couple of months, just trying to decide on what car to replace it with (as I've posted in another thread, we traded in my Passat to get her an MDX). As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's hard driving that 4Runner, no matter how reliable it may be, when I love driving cars.

I actually came pretty close to buying a Mazda6 recently, but thought I'd give the TSX another drive. Man, sitting in the TSX again reminded me of where that extra few grand goes. I think the 6 is a good car and fun to drive, but the interior is just a little too cheap feeling for me. My Passat may have been unreliable, but the interior was nice. The TSX is definitely on par with that, and perhaps nicer in some ways.

I was set on the TSX a few months ago, but the wife thought it was a little small (one baby, and one more planned). So, we thought we'd go for the new TL this fall. But, I've decided it just doesn't make sense to spend that much on a car right now, after dropping $40k on the MDX, and having new baby-related costs. And there are so many nice cars in the sub-$30k range.

That and the fact that we've realized, with the MDX, we don't need a large second car, has brought the TSX back into the picture. The only thing that's holding me back now is potentially waiting 'til next year for the new Subaru Legacy Turbo. I just don't know if I can last!

So, sorry for the long rant. I'm just excited to be back in the TSX mix! I really appreciate the replies. Since I don't need a car right now, I certainly have the luxury of waiting for a new TSX for the same "deal" as this used one.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by beldredge
Thanks for all the advice. I knew I was being a little too emotional and "spur of the moment" about it all. The sad thing is, I have no doubt someone will walk into that dealership (it's Mile High by the way) and buy that car for their price. I mean, after all, they let me walk out, right?

I've been driving my wife's 4Runner for the last couple of months, just trying to decide on what car to replace it with (as I've posted in another thread, we traded in my Passat to get her an MDX). As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's hard driving that 4Runner, no matter how reliable it may be, when I love driving cars.

I actually came pretty close to buying a Mazda6 recently, but thought I'd give the TSX another drive. Man, sitting in the TSX again reminded me of where that extra few grand goes. I think the 6 is a good car and fun to drive, but the interior is just a little too cheap feeling for me. My Passat may have been unreliable, but the interior was nice. The TSX is definitely on par with that, and perhaps nicer in some ways.

I was set on the TSX a few months ago, but the wife thought it was a little small (one baby, and one more planned). So, we thought we'd go for the new TL this fall. But, I've decided it just doesn't make sense to spend that much on a car right now, after dropping $40k on the MDX, and having new baby-related costs. And there are so many nice cars in the sub-$30k range.

That and the fact that we've realized, with the MDX, we don't need a large second car, has brought the TSX back into the picture. The only thing that's holding me back now is potentially waiting 'til next year for the new Subaru Legacy Turbo. I just don't know if I can last!

So, sorry for the long rant. I'm just excited to be back in the TSX mix! I really appreciate the replies. Since I don't need a car right now, I certainly have the luxury of waiting for a new TSX for the same "deal" as this used one.
If you are still interested in the car, it doesn't hurt to make them a final offer over the phone. Personally, I say $25,000 and no more. You have absolutely nothing to lose if they turn down your offer.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Advanced

I think that's too much for a used car. I got mine 10 days ago PWP/AT/Non-Navi for $25,200 ($1790 bleow MSRP). That's for a brand new car that had 25 miles on the odo. The dealer first offer by email was $25,500 and he then agreed on $300 less. No junk fees added. Only the $50 Texas mandated documentation fees. I didn't add or get any add-ons.

Actually, the same dealer sold a new black one to another forum member for $25,500 two weeks ago.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

I am just saying that there is room for negotiation. I understand that market conditions vary between different parts in the US. Just make sure you don't get emotionally attached.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Maybe it would be worth it to pay the transport fees to get one from Texas, huh?

Well, for kicks, I did call the dealership back to make sure they knew I was still interested if there was any more room to lower the $26,500 price. They claimed there was not. It is the only 6 speed they have right now and I suppose they feel someone will come to the plate and pay a new car price for it. As I said before, I'm sure they will.

I also called all the dealerships in the Denver area and, FWIW, they all claim to still demand full MSRP for the TSX, and most of them include the Acura "Protection Package" for another $500 or so, which they pass along fully to the buyer as well.

Is Denver just a tough market for the buyer? Or has anyone had luck in this area?
Old 08-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

KURT! You offer incorrect advice. I work at your big brother store in Plano. It does infact cost the dealer money to certify pre-owned Acuras. In fact, if you are certified on all of your required test, you would know exactly how the Acura Certified program works. And a six speed MS colored tsx is rare. Let a salesguy make a commish. Geez...
Old 08-07-2003, 10:29 PM
More On

Originally posted by beldredge
......I did call the dealership back to make sure they knew I was still interested if there was any more room to lower the $26,500 price. They claimed there was not.....I suppose they feel someone will....pay a new car price for it. As I said before, I'm sure they will......
There's no reason to be so sure. If someone does pay that much, it means the TSX is even hotter than most of us thought.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Like It Smooth!

Originally posted by AlexTheMan
I think that's too much for a used car. I got mine 10 days ago PWP/AT/Non-Navi for $25,200 ($1790 bleow MSRP). That's for a brand new car that had 25 miles on the odo.
Now that's a really great deal you got there buddy!
Does your uncle own the dealership?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by AdamC
Now that's a really great deal you got there buddy!
Does your uncle own the dealership?
Yeah..If he did, I would have had him throw a navigation system for free..
Old 08-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by sdog 959
KURT! You offer incorrect advice. I work at your big brother store in Plano. It does infact cost the dealer money to certify pre-owned Acuras. In fact, if you are certified on all of your required test, you would know exactly how the Acura Certified program works. And a six speed MS colored tsx is rare. Let a salesguy make a commish. Geez...
Catfight!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Instructor

I'd pass on that offer. I was offered $1200 below MSRP for a ABP/6MT/Non-Navi TSX back in late April. $26,500 for a previously titled car with 800 miles on the meter is a horrible deal.

Oh, and you are *NOT* getting even a $500 discount on the car, because that was the freight charge, which the original owner had to pay. You are being charged the full new MSRP for the car.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 AM

that is a horrible deal, the minute a "new" car is purchased and driven off the lot it usually loses value at that very second! granted the tsx is new and in high demand but that doesn't mean the dealer should sell a used tsx at $26,500. that's just insane, most likely they're just waiting for someone to come in and purchase it in the 'spur of the moment'. personally, i would just pre-order a "new" tsx and drive the 4runner for a few more months.

also, that "protection package" is a rip-off, at the dealer i got my txs from, it cost $500 and only consists of wheel locks and splash guards. these accesories only cost $49 and $89 respectively if you purchase it from the parts department. the problem is the protection package is automatically added when the dealer preps the car for sale. but if the car is preordered or has not been prepped for sale, you can tell them not to tack on the "protection package". if you really want wheel locks/splash guards just purchase them from parts dept and install them yourself after.