UPGRADING from TSX to TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UPGRADING from TSX to TL?

First of all, I’d like to say that I have search tsxclub and acurzine threads for this topic. But I am still quite a bit confused. Ive had the 04 TSX(100k miles now, corolla before the tsx:P) for about a year now, it was quite a bad investment as the engine was burning 1L of oil/1000km, and the dreaded timing chain check engine light came on(temporarily fixed for now with new sensors fro $500, did not replace the chains which i fear I will need to do if I continue to drive it). I do not feel like spending money on the engine to fix the burning oil issue is worth it as I got the car for only $7k. 04 TSX was a pretty bad year in terms of reliability, thus I am selling the car in the spring, and buying a TL or 06-08 TSX in the fall as spring is the car selling season.

I have heard that 04-05 TL have transmission issues, so im trying to stay away from those unless they are MT.

My maximum budget is about $12000. And of course, the less the better. Right now the current prices in Toronto for a 06 TL is around $11000, and an 07 TL is about $14000, and 06 TSX is about 11000. And those prices are for cars around 75k miles or 120k km.

I feel like the 06 TL suits my budget the best; however, the 07+ TL just look more updated, and if I were to do a bumper to bumper conversion it would be at least 2.5k not including any electronics or the interior updates. I am concerned with the fact that the transmission with the 06 might fail, and costing me thousands of dollars to replace, and its is very rare to see a MT TL for sale. Should I get the 06 TL in the fall or just get an later model TSX, or wait till next year till I have enough for the 07 TL. Any advice would be appreciated. I am currently 19 going 20, in second year university studying mechanical engineering. I do have internship every year so I have the money to do regular maintenance on the car, and from what Ive been hearing the TL’s maintenance isn't much more than the TSX.

TBH i feel really under powered while driving the TSX especially at highway speed..and my mechanic suggested that Honda's 2.4L are not very good as their V6s. I drive about 10k km a year, so buying a switching from a 160k km tsx to a 120k tl will last me at least a few years.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jst17
First of all, I’d like to say that I have search tsxclub and acurzine threads for this topic. But I am still quite a bit confused. Ive had the 04 TSX(100k miles now, corolla before the tsx:P) for about a year now, it was quite a bad investment as the engine was burning 1L of oil/1000km, and the dreaded timing chain check engine light came on(temporarily fixed for now with new sensors fro $500, did not replace the chains which i fear I will need to do if I continue to drive it). I do not feel like spending money on the engine to fix the burning oil issue is worth it as I got the car for only $7k. 04 TSX was a pretty bad year in terms of reliability, thus I am selling the car in the spring, and buying a TL or 06-08 TSX in the fall as spring is the car selling season.

I have heard that 04-05 TL have transmission issues, so im trying to stay away from those unless they are MT.

My maximum budget is about $12000. And of course, the less the better. Right now the current prices in Toronto for a 06 TL is around $11000, and an 07 TL is about $14000, and 06 TSX is about 11000. And those prices are for cars around 75k miles or 120k km.

I feel like the 06 TL suits my budget the best; however, the 07+ TL just look more updated, and if I were to do a bumper to bumper conversion it would be at least 2.5k not including any electronics or the interior updates. I am concerned with the fact that the transmission with the 06 might fail, and costing me thousands of dollars to replace, and its is very rare to see a MT TL for sale. Should I get the 06 TL in the fall or just get an later model TSX, or wait till next year till I have enough for the 07 TL. Any advice would be appreciated. I am currently 19 going 20, in second year university studying mechanical engineering. I do have internship every year so I have the money to do regular maintenance on the car, and from what Ive been hearing the TL’s maintenance isn't much more than the TSX.

TBH i feel really under powered while driving the TSX especially at highway speed..and my mechanic suggested that Honda's 2.4L are not very good as their V6s. I drive about 10k km a year, so buying a switching from a 160k km tsx to a 120k tl will last me at least a few years.
Have you driven the TL? If not, you may find that driving one would make the decision for you. I think the only extra maintenance item the TL requires is the replacement of the timing belt. You got a bad apple in your 04 TSX. Many seem to be have been trouble prone (04's), and the Canadian models in particular (the oil burning issue seems to effect mainly Canadian cars). Other than those, the TSX's are all pretty bullet proof. I'm curious about the comment your mechanic made, as it seems that the Honda 2.4 is one of the best engines Honda has ever built. I'll admit that I've never driven a TL, so I'm not qualified to comment on your actual choice, but from what I've read here over the years, the TSX seems to be the better driver's car. I'm sure having the V-6 is an occasional hoot, but overall, I think I'd stick with (and did) the TSX (though maybe a V-6 TSX would give you the best of both worlds. I stayed with the 4 because of the miles I was driving and resale). But . . . you're the one who will live with the car, so it's really up to you.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
the TL is an entry level luxury car with entry level luxury prices for maintenance.
i make a decent living, butt, cringe every time i buy tires.
and especially with a higher mileage car, you'll have to take care of it more often, as things start to break.

there is a 105,000 mile service on the TL. that's 169000km. which involves the timing belt and spark plugs. US dealers charge $1200 for this service. might be more in Canada, unless you can do it yourself.

and, yes, I would stay away from an automatic TL unless it has a perfect service history, which includes transmission maintenance
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Simba's advice is terrific. Just drive the TL to see what you think.

Also, if you look anywhere, the TSX's 2.4 liter engine is highly praised for performance and reliability. (Your mechanic's opinion is in the extreme minority.)

I have driven the TL...both the 3G (2004-2008) and the 4G, (2009-2014)...as loaner vehicles, for several days each. I honestly could not wait to get my TSX back. While there was some more straight line acceleration, there was a great deal more heft and weight. Handling and turns were like driving a small load of bricks...you could feel your body swaying sideways into every turn. With that big V6, it is also a front-heavy car, making the turns feel like you were plowing through them, steering effort is different, too.

The only exception to this would be the SH-AWD model, which counters the handling issues a bit...but those are rare and hard to find. And still, they are heavy cars...not nimble, like the TSX.

I would drive one...and also drive a newer TSX. As Simba said, the 2005-08 models are bulletproof. Also, the 2006-08 models have an extra 13 horsepower.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
there is a 105,000 mile service on the TL.
charge $1200 for this service.
I would stay away from an automatic TL unless it has a perfect service history, which includes transmission maintenance
$1200 doesn't sound bad, considering its for a one time scheduled maint. Ill be sure to put away a grand or so of $$ annually for the car.

But I thought they tweaked the 06 tranny, and started using the RL transmission for 07+, I mean, its very rare to find MT TLs especially with low mileage in Toronto.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Simba91102
You got a bad apple in your 04 TSX. Many seem to be have been trouble prone (04's), and the Canadian models in particular (the oil burning issue seems to effect mainly Canadian cars). Other than those, the TSX's are all pretty bullet proof.I'm sure having the V-6 is an occasional hoot, but overall, I think I'd stick with (and did) the TSX (though maybe a V-6 TSX would give you the best of both worlds. I stayed with the 4 because of the miles I was driving and resale). But . . . you're the one who will live with the car, so it's really up to you.
Exactly, but the V6 are selling for about $20k these days, which is well above my budget. Maybe the Accord V6 will do?

P.S. the current line up of Acuras' design killed me appetite with that big "nose".
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jst17
Exactly, but the V6 are selling for about $20k these days, which is well above my budget. Maybe the Accord V6 will do?

P.S. the current line up of Acuras' design killed me appetite with that big "nose".
I wasn't really serious about that suggestion, as I think the extra weight of the V-6 takes a toll on the driving dynamics of the car. The first gen TSX (as well as the 2nd gen car), was a European Honda Accord with lipstick and a fancy dress. It was designed with 4 cylinder power in mind, with the V-6 added later (with no MT) to . . . I have no idea what. It never sold well, and attracted (and attracts) a small audience (one reason I always felt resale was a concern). I can't speak for Canada, but they (used V-6 models) don't (or should I say can't) demand that much of a premium here.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 PM
7th Gear

i would stick to a tsx
Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks you all for the responses. Some good news about budgets.

Over the last 2 months, I have increased my budget to $18,000, and I have decided to purchase a 06-08 Lexus is 350 with 90-110k km instead.=)