Uncomfortable driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uncomfortable driver seat

When driving for an hour or more, I start to have pains in the back of my right leg. Tend to be very stiff when I get out of the car. I have tried to adjust the seat in many different configurations, but nothing seems to help. Can anybody help?I drive an 06 TSX.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's possible that the seat isn't the problem, you might have a medical condition
Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you adjusted the lumbar support too?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It took me a long time to get the seat set just right. Is the pain in your hamstring, the back of your knee, or your calf? All I can suggest is that you keep fiddling with it.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

It took me about a week to get my seat in a position that was the most comfortable so it might take a while to find a good seat adjustment.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I have the same problems when I travel more than an hour with the cruise control on. The questions I would ask are (without sounding like I’m hitting on you):
- How you tall are you or how long are your legs?
- Are you wearing heels when you drive?
- Are your legs straight when you drive or slightly bent and hitting the center console?
- Do you have the seat all the way back?

I bet it feels like a big knot in top right portion of your right hamstring right below your butt cheek. I usually take my right shoe off when traveling to straighten my leg out as much as I can. It’s never a problem around town because of the constant gas/brake action exercising my leg. Extra seat travel would be my wish of the 08 TSX.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MORE seat travel?

wow, i'm 6'4" and the seat isn't moved all the way back i still have another inch maybe...

ya it might be just the way you are... perhaps moving around every now and then, and experimenting with different positions of the seat...
Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
mrgold35

I have long legs and arms for being only 6'3" (315lbs, 20 inch neck, 38 length in arms, 38 inseam). Just too damn big for the real world.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by cibs
MORE seat travel?

wow, i'm 6'4" and the seat isn't moved all the way back i still have another inch maybe...

ya it might be just the way you are... perhaps moving around every now and then, and experimenting with different positions of the seat...
How in the world do you fit? Im 6'5 and most of that is in my legs and there is no way in the world i even came close to fitting in the TSX. they gave me one as a loaner once and i couldnt fit at all, so they ended up giving me a TL they used for demo driving
Old 08-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Race Director

Another reason why I envy the 06 TSX owners with their memory seats because when I go to Acura for maintenance they put the car seat all the way back and it takes awhile to adjust the seat back to a comfortable position.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Another reason why I envy the 06 TSX owners with their memory seats because when I go to Acura for maintenance they put the car seat all the way back and it takes awhile to adjust the seat back to a comfortable position.
I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'11", memory seats is the main reason I waited for the 06 TSX.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
How in the world do you fit? Im 6'5 and most of that is in my legs and there is no way in the world i even came close to fitting in the TSX. they gave me one as a loaner once and i couldnt fit at all, so they ended up giving me a TL they used for demo driving

well i have to have the back of the seat tilted back, not quite like a young thug kid, but more than the avg person only because otherwise my head would hit the ceiling... i'm like a 36-37 inch inseam... i donno how i do it... i just fit...

my first car was a 93 civic hatchback... then a 98 civic coupe and now the tsx... after fitting in all those other cars i guess it's just my perception that i have room to spare...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Racer

I had the same problem but once the seat got broken in its fine now.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Have you had the seat taken out for the squeaking problem? The first time they pulled mine out, they didn't put it back in correctly, and it seemed like it was lopsided and uncomfortable. The second time they took it out and reinstalled it with the new rail, it was fine.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ladydrive
When driving for an hour or more, I start to have pains in the back of my right leg. Tend to be very stiff when I get out of the car. I have tried to adjust the seat in many different configurations, but nothing seems to help. Can anybody help?I drive an 06 TSX.
This '06 TSX seat is the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden in. I always have low back pain from it. I think you will need some external device to feel better. Of course, do your best to adjust it . I am soooo dissappointed with the seats. I took the car out for a 45 min. test drive when I was investigating it but I so so amped from the sportiness of the car I did not really notice the seat comfort problem. : (
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by silverback
This '06 TSX seat is the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden in. I always have low back pain from it. I think you will need some external device to feel better. Of course, do your best to adjust it . I am soooo dissappointed with the seats. I took the car out for a 45 min. test drive when I was investigating it but I so so amped from the sportiness of the car I did not really notice the seat comfort problem. : (
Have you adjusted the lumbar support?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I have the same problem at times. I just take my wallet out of my pants. Works like a charm.............
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Advanced

I had a hard time with the TSX seats the first week I owned the car. I'm not sure what it was, but my back never felt comfortable in them that first week.

I've gotten used to it though, and now i'm fine with them.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
my acura sanctuary

sorry to hear you folks are having probs with seat. I am not a doc but I would agree with what other said on medical condition. there are lots of aids but maybe this http://www.sitincomfort.com/bumefococu.html could help. individual body shapes and weights vary so everyone will not have the same experience with the seats

I drove 700 miles each way to portland and my back was fine-and I do have a slight back issue. I am 5'-9" and 185lbs. My accord coupe seats are a little more comfortable because of the larger side bolsters but the TSX seats are decent, in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I'm kinda wondering about body types and dimensions of, as well the time to adjust the seats put in by, the people who are saying they find the TSX seat uncomfortable.

I'm of slightly taller than average height, average weight, and medium build and I lot the TSX seats. They fit like a glove. I've done 7 hours straight (no stopping for anything) in them and climb out of the car totally refreshed so I know that it's entirely possible for someone of my dimensions, or around my dimensions, to get comfortable.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:15 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I'm the opposite of you guys, I'm slightly shorter than average height, 5"5 and 135lbs. Under normal driving condition, the seat is totally fine. But I guess my small body is not big enough to fit "into" the seat, so while cornering, my body does move a bit.

I was thinking about to retrofit the RSX-S leather bucket seat to my TSX, while it looks different, it's still had the same leather so it should match perfectly. The only problem is I will lose Power Seat setting options and Heated Seat option, so..... anyone thinks it's not worth it? or I should get some aftermarket bucket seat? I haven't check how much the RSX-S's seat is, but I guess won't be cheap.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I'm kinda wondering about body types and dimensions of, as well the time to adjust the seats put in by, the people who are saying they find the TSX seat uncomfortable.

I'm of slightly taller than average height, average weight, and medium build and I lot the TSX seats. They fit like a glove. I've done 7 hours straight (no stopping for anything) in them and climb out of the car totally refreshed so I know that it's entirely possible for someone of my dimensions, or around my dimensions, to get comfortable.
I find the TSX seats more comfortable than any car I've ever owned. I can drive hours in it without getting sore, and I have chronic back and cervical problems. I have 50,000 miles on my car now and I'm starting to think about upgrading to the new G35 when it comes out. BUT, my hesitation is that I don't want to give up high level of comfort I feel in the TSX.

I'm 5'10", with short arms and short legs. Most of my height is in the torso.

I guess it all comes down to invidual body type.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro

Search is your friend. There are many good comments as to what you can do to adjust the seat to fit your own needs and do take your wallet out, if needed, to even-out you hip alignment.

Now, about the seats. They are, like most German cars, very hard when new. It's kinda like sitting on a park bench. But they will "break in" to more-or-less conform to your body. Give it a little time. A soft seat will give you more problems (back pain) on longer trips and many seat-time hours than a firm seat. As to the lumbar function - some like it and some don't.

Hang in there, they will come around after some seat time.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

I have an '05, but when I service it the dealer throws me into an '06 all the time. I actually find that the angle and the ride height has increased in the new. I suspect that it has something to do with the new memory function. Try to raise the back all the way up and set the front all the way down. Then adjust to a more reclined postition. I find that helps when i drive the '06. Try to mess about with the lumber as well. It's pretty comfortable with the lumber completely off. Give it time friend!!!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Have you adjusted the lumbar support?
what lumbar support are you guys talking about??
Old 09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by feelgood13
It's that little handle on the right side of the driver's side seat back.

Have fun!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 AM
8th Gear

Hi, I had the same experience with my TSX seats. I work at Johnson Controls designing complete seats. We design and build for most Manufacturers. I brought a couple engineers out to look over my seat and they all felt what I felt. The inside bolster is extremely firm. I am not wide by any means so it is just a design issue. Eventually you will get used to it and find a comfortable position to drive in.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Instructor

I really like the seats, but they are a little too small. I feel as thought you have to be short, like around 5'10" and weigh 165-170 lbs to fit in them perfectly. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs, and my shoulders and my lats rest on the side bolsters, but my back doesn't really rest against the seat that well. I am not a body builder by any means, but I wish the bolsters on the back part and side part were movable so that you could adjust them and then tighten them so they don't move. One of my parents cars had that (you could move the bottom out further, and the angle of the side bolsters).

Other than that and the little noises coming from my right side A and C pillars, I love everything about my car.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Advanced

I don't like that my right knee always hits the center console. I feel like my right knee only has a small amount of room between the steering column and the center column and it makes my leg stiff after a while in the car.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by feelgood13
on the driver seat only, theres a little handle on the right side of the seat. You can move it up or down and it will move this little bump in the lowerback of the seat in and out.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Atleast you guys didn't drive the first hour in your car with the seat elevated all the way up. I didn't realize the seat was able to go down until I was 15 minutes away from my house. My back was aching until then. Unfortunately, this is the first car I've had with leather so the comfort I find is pretty good (I'm 5'11") but my back sweats...even with peforated leather. My former car a 4runner....had pretty uncomfortable seats...
Old 07-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Racer

i have come to the conclusion after owning the TSX for 2 years...that there is simply no comfortable position for me to sit in... there is just something about the seat in the TSX... the 6-way adjustable just doesn't help.... i have tried NUMEROUS positions, upright, slouch back, higher knees... it just doesn't feel right.

i'm sorry to say, my old 96 civic and my momy's 2000 camry with no power seats and a 2-way adjustable seat is more comfortable on my knees, thighs and back....
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ladydrive
the seat should be at about a 120 degree angle.. solved this problem for me. the downside is that your head is way far from the headrest, so if you get rear ended it won't be pretty, but what are you gonna do? also, seats are difficult to adjust just right, i remember it took me a few seconds to do it on my maxima before, but these suckers take time..
gl
Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Drifting

^^ yeah the non-adjustable headrests are definitely one of my few beefs with the TSX, if you have a good angle for your back your head is far away from the headrest... what are you gonna do tho? ...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Advanced

^^ yeah the non-adjustable headrests are definitely one of my few beefs with the TSX, if you have a good angle for your back your head is far away from the headrest... what are you gonna do tho? ...
i dont think making headrests adj would fix the issue - the seats are not well designed in that respect. that is if it curves along your lower back, the upper back is way off or you need to seat at the 90 degree angle, which is only good for some short distance driving.. i like my tsx, but they did not do a good job on the seats....
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
still plays with cars

If you ever run a track event with a helmet you'll be thankful for the headrest clearance.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by greendestiny
i have come to the conclusion after owning the TSX for 2 years...that there is simply no comfortable position for me to sit in... there is just something about the seat in the TSX... the 6-way adjustable just doesn't help.... i have tried NUMEROUS positions, upright, slouch back, higher knees... it just doesn't feel right
I agree - I've also had the car for 2+ years and I am tolerably comfortable at best (never actually comfortable) - even an hour in the car and I really feel the need to get out and stretch my back.

Car = 04 TSX AT
Me = 5'8" 165lbs, don't know arm length, but inseam on jeans is 30 inches

Don't forget to play with the telescoping steering wheel in combination with the seat adjustments.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

I find the car comfortable, and the wife does not.

Of course - I am coming out of an S2000 and am enjoying all the room, and she's pregnant, so I guess we are not a good sample for opinion.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:03 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was never 100% comfy in my '05 TSX either. i'm not that big (5'8", 150 lbs) and for some reason, the angle of the seat never jived with my back. driving from DC to rochester, i would find some weird pains in my lower back and my right leg midway through the trip.

my new S2000 fits me like a glove
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frescagod
i was never 100% comfy in my '05 TSX either. i'm not that big (5'8", 150 lbs) and for some reason, the angle of the seat never jived with my back. driving from DC to rochester, i would find some weird pains in my lower back and my right leg midway through the trip.

my new S2000 fits me like a glove
the S2000 seats are nice - never had a problem with them. Its just now the TSX seems like it has so much room and storage. Its nice not to have a drink cup change your entire driving approach.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable driver seat