Ugly woodgrain trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004 | 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Ugly woodgrain trim

Has anyone seen a kit to replace the woodgrain trim? Almost anything would be better. I like the red TSX but the trim would have to go.
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:43 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

yes, there is a silver trim replacement like the ones found in quartz/ebony interiors, check out any online acura parts dealer
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:44 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

it's so funny that everyone doesn't like it. i think it looks nice, esp with the tan interior, which i also like. i think it compliments my white car nicely, but yea it's pretty ugly with red haha

they make carbon fiber kits, but i don't know who or how much. do a search for carbon diber dash, i do believe someone has it already
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dzuy
it's so funny that everyone doesn't like it. i think it looks nice, esp with the tan interior, which i also like. i think it compliments my white car nicely,
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:56 PM
bleh...

I still don't really like the fake wood trim. The aluminum trim looks better IMO.
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:57 PM
ric
Safety Car

well, it's either fake wood or fake "titanium". I decided the fake titanium was less fake. I couldn't install the fake wood after looking at it as a set of mastic-adhered decals. Sorry.........
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:41 PM
Teh ?

take a look at the plood that they use for the new Legacy's and Outbacks... tell me about tacky fakes.

Junkster, who prefers no fake anything
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:54 PM
Advanced

That crap they insist on calling wood has no place in a modern car! Red with the black interior would be nice!!

As for the Subie, AWD, and a turbo makes up for a lot!
Old 07-08-2004 | 04:06 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

guess dzuy and I will stand alone, PWP/Parch is da bomb. All you other guys can burn yourselves on the dark leather in the summer sun. Only thing I hope for is that the 2005 has a wood option for the steering wheel radio controls, I hate the non-matching silver.
Old 07-08-2004 | 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xizor
guess dzuy and I will stand alone, PWP/Parch is da bomb. All you other guys can burn yourselves on the dark leather in the summer sun. Only thing I hope for is that the 2005 has a wood option for the steering wheel radio controls, I hate the non-matching silver.
Make it dzuy, xizor, and jlukja. I love my PWP/Parch.
Old 07-08-2004 | 04:30 PM

the woodgrain trim is what turned me off about the PWP...the PWP/Ebony is a diff story tho
Old 07-08-2004 | 05:27 PM
Ohhh yeah!

I only wanted the parch interior... I hated the metal-look trim and dark leather. I had a greyish leather in my old car and I was sick of it. Woulda gotten CG/Parch if they had offered it... ended up with NBP/Parch, which I really like and I see a lot of on the road when I do see a TSX.
Old 07-08-2004 | 05:36 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

OK... now let's make it dzuy, xizor, jlukja, and McGriddle. PWP with Parchment is just too awesome. I (and my fiancee) love the plood trim. It adds a nice, classy touch and matches the parchment interior perfectly.
Old 07-08-2004 | 06:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by npence
Woulda gotten CG/Parch if they had offered it...
That's the combo I would have liked to have seen. I think what you ended up with is the best, but I can't deal with another black car again, think the white looks good but for some reason won't go that route, so I'm going with the red, more or less by process of elimination.
Old 07-08-2004 | 06:40 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

Don't you guys find the parchment interior incredibly difficult to keep clean?

That's the only reason I'm not considering the Red.
Old 07-08-2004 | 06:47 PM
UK Spec

too bad u can't replace the wood around the climate control..
other wise i'd done it the day i picked up my car...
Old 07-08-2004 | 08:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

I've always hammered at the TSX's wood interior, but at the car show, some of the real wood on more expensive cars looked even worse!
Old 07-08-2004 | 08:51 PM
Drifting

oh, my, god. the wood trim is everything but ugly. i mean, the bright hazlenut...the deep burgundies...the bold mahogany highlights...oh, and that gloss! there could be only one way to describe those faux wood accents.......fabulous! :ghey:

j/k dzuy, jlukja, xizor, npence, and mcgriddle. i think the wood trim is decent, but limited to parchment interiors. it just seems that parchment wouldn't look as good with the titanium. however, if you still want to get it, the oem trim kit would be a good way to go. you can try getting it from ebay, dealer sites, or other aem sites ( :search: it).
Old 07-08-2004 | 09:00 PM
UK Spec

Originally Posted by sleeper
oh, my, god. the wood trim is everything but ugly. i mean, the bright hazlenut...the deep burgundies...the bold mahogany highlights...oh, and that gloss! there could be only one way to describe those faux wood accents.......fabulous! :ghey:

j/k dzuy, jlukja, xizor, and mcgriddle. i think the wood trim is decent, but limited to parchment interiors. it just seems that parchment wouldn't look as good with the titanium. however, if you still want to get it, the oem trim kit would be a good way to go. you can try getting it from ebay, dealer sites, or other aem sites ( :search: it).

i won't say wood is "ugly"

but i would say it's not ment for the Gen Y....

23, Male, Gf....

just the ebony interior fits better with the testosterone level
Old 07-08-2004 | 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

cmon, wood in a red sporty car?? It should have a holster for a cane too then. Seriously the dealer says some of those alum pieces are hundreds and the total to replace the "wood" is somewhere in 15 hun range. They shoulda had more options in these cars, red with black and alum would of been sweet. I think I might settle for the white and black and steer clear of the wood altogether.
Old 07-08-2004 | 11:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

The NSX has black chrome on the inside...I don't know if that's an expensive thing, but I think it looks cool and sporty. I think that would look cool with the parchment interior.
Old 07-08-2004 | 11:16 PM
Team Owner

I think the Milano Red is best with an ebony interior. Reminds me of the color scheme of my Integra...oh how I miss that car from time to time.
Old 07-09-2004 | 02:50 AM
Drifting

i agree with all of you. but it's too bad the tsx doesn't come with more int/ext combos. the red with ebony would look nice. and any tsx with an ebony int would look better with the metal trim instead of the wood.
Old 07-12-2004 | 02:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xizor
No You are not alone.. I am in Houston where it really gets hot.. Regardless, when buying the car, I test drove a SSM/Gray and the dealer had few other colors in stock. At that time, I decided that the Parchment really looked the best!!! Red was my first option and white was my second and I would accept the black with parchment. The fake wood is acceptable. I ended up getting the PWP/Parch which, I second, is da bomb..
Old 07-12-2004 | 04:47 PM
Drifting

The wood would be great if it wasn't fake or orange. The leather would be great if it wasn't yellow. The TSX only looks good in ebony or quartz. Sorry guys. I'm still shocked Acura doesn't offer a real wood trim option. I'd pay up to $1000 to have it.
Old 07-12-2004 | 08:19 PM
Drifting

The fake wood trim was what put me off getting the Milano Red, which I happen to think to be one of the best colors! If it were done like the TL, with some better look faux wood and in combination with some metal too, that would have looked much better.

The aluminum trim in my ebony interior is so sporty - I love it! I'd rather have sporty than faux luxury...
Old 07-12-2004 | 08:32 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by phile
I've always hammered at the TSX's wood interior, but at the car show, some of the real wood on more expensive cars looked even worse!
They're putting so much gloss on real wood, that it too is looking fake. I personally like the look of the plood. I like it's unique orange color. The plaluminum is pretty fake looking to me. At least when you touch the plood, it feels like the real stuff. The plaluminum feels like colored plastic (which it is).

Just my
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:15 AM
Racer

I love the TSX in white or red, and the only thing that's turning me from these colors is the wood. So right now I'm secretly hoping that they'll have the parchment/metal combination in the 2005 model.
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:55 AM
Go Dutch !

Originally Posted by dzuy
they make carbon fiber kits, but i don't know who or how much. do a search for carbon diber dash, i do believe someone has it already
I got a carbon fiber dash, but it was standard ("sport" and "type-s" models in Holland have carbon dash, "comfort" has silver, "executive" has 'wood'). If you like to change the kits are available though. Might differ a bit from the TSX. Took some pics of mine (sorry, bit unsharp) :

Old 07-13-2004 | 11:36 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Mokijoki
I got a carbon fiber dash, but it was standard...
Hey...looks like the TL quasi-carbon
Old 07-13-2004 | 12:26 PM

nice, i really like the center console piece
Old 07-13-2004 | 01:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
They're putting so much gloss on real wood, that it too is looking fake. I personally like the look of the plood. I like it's unique orange color. The plaluminum is pretty fake looking to me. At least when you touch the plood, it feels like the real stuff. The plaluminum feels like colored plastic (which it is).

Just my
I totally agree about the plaluminum. As a side note, I really like the authentic aluminum in the TL's interior, it has tiny etched patterns on it. Much cooler looking than plain aluminum.
Old 07-13-2004 | 03:27 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by phile
I totally agree about the plaluminum. As a side note, I really like the authentic aluminum in the TL's interior, it has tiny etched patterns on it. Much cooler looking than plain aluminum.
Exactly...and it's cool to the touch--the way it's supposed to be! Come on, how expensive is real aluminum? They make soda cans out of it, for goodness sake
Old 07-13-2004 | 03:43 PM
Drifting

I was initially skeeved out by the wood trim (I have the Milano Red), but you get used to it. I don't think it's half-bad, really.
Old 07-14-2004 | 02:39 AM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by Jason
The wood would be great if it wasn't fake or orange. The leather would be great if it wasn't yellow. The TSX only looks good in ebony or quartz. Sorry guys. I'm still shocked Acura doesn't offer a real wood trim option. I'd pay up to $1000 to have it.
Yes and no.

My stepson has a TL Type S, black on black, all tricked out with Comptech/Mugen/the works. Really nice. He spends about 6 hours a week cleaning it (and trying to keep swirls out of the paint).

So when he drives in our PWP/parchment with added "plood" pieces, it's a very different experience for him. And he got over the plood revulsion pretty quick -- it's just a surface treatment, after all.

Yes, the plood is fake. Who wants splinters? Who wants to have to treat a veneer wood with oils or special waxes?

Before I got the 9-pc Acura OEM set, we'd tried to order from "exoticwooddash.com", which is same as B&G (and a few other names you'll see in tuner shops). THAT stuff -- soft polyurethane stick-ons -- feels gross.

But the big difference, and the reason why we couldn't stay with the non-Acura, is the way their plood reacts to night/artificial light. The Acura plood has titanium dioxide, and fluoresces evenly. The "exoticwooddash" polyurethane has a substrate of zinc oxide. Under artificial light, it turns a turgid, muddy brown many shades different (from the orange-ish OEM stuff).
Old 07-14-2004 | 10:32 AM
Pinky all stinky

That's one advantage of plood. My friend has a used Lexus SC400 and the wood veneer in it has not aged well. The gloss finish has pretty much disappeared, the wood is now dull and has that dark "wet wood" look to it at all times, even though it's not wet.

I just think it would've been better if the plood looked a little more realistic (ie not ORANGE!!). When I finally purchase one, I hope Acura changes that.
Old 07-14-2004 | 02:40 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by jginnane
...Yes, the plood is fake. Who wants splinters? Who wants to have to treat a veneer wood with oils or special waxes?...
Real automotive wood, believe it or not, is nothing like that. The way they treat it nowadays requires no maintenance, whatsoever, besides periodically dusting it. Wood in cars (now, at least) have thick finishes on them that are durable and VERY protective. No maintenance required.
Old 07-14-2004 | 05:15 PM
! deadmau5 !

Real automotive wood, believe it or not, is nothing like that. The way they treat it nowadays requires no maintenance, whatsoever, besides periodically dusting it. Wood in cars (now, at least) have thick finishes on them that are durable and VERY protective. No maintenance required.
"Titanium" -- which is probably just etched/embossed aluminum ... "Carbon fiber cloth" -- which is probably this polyurethane glop -- versus good old Detroit-ish "plood".

Having said that, there's a world of difference between 2004 Lexus "real wood" and the wood used in Jaguar XKE's when Emma Peel drove the land.

Spud's good point above is that we really don't _want_ the real stuff in our cars. Too maintenance-intensive. Or the possibility of a safety-related issue.

Having thereby set the stage, I earnestly look forward to ever-more creative internal finishing treatments. I've been dying for years to get a bamboo wood treatment. (They make a parquet floor tile out of bamboo which is just ugly enough to be impractical, but it shows what can be done.)
Old 07-14-2004 | 05:48 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by jginnane
...Spud's good point above is that we really don't _want_ the real stuff in our cars. Too maintenance-intensive. Or the possibility of a safety-related issue...
But that's not what I'm saying...what I'm saying is that when they use REAL wood in cars, it's finished so that it's maintenance free. I do like real wood...even if it is just to say that you have real wood. That's what a luxury is...
Old 07-14-2004 | 05:54 PM
Teh ?

But that's not what I'm saying...what I'm saying is that when they use REAL wood in cars, it's finished so that it's maintenance free. I do like real wood...even if it is just to say that you have real wood. That's what a luxury is...
Right, and splinter?! Most companies now have safety grooves on the backside of the wood panels, so that in cases of accidents, they break into pre-destined pieces.

And wood care nowadays is almost non-existent... the varnish and other UV treatments have made real wood care basically the same as taking care of leather... ooh, real leather, now try maintaining that...

Junkster, who loves real wood in cars

Quick Reply: Ugly woodgrain trim