U.S. TSX vs. Australian Accord Euro Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004 | 08:38 AM
Former Audio Mod

U.S. TSX vs. Australian Accord Euro Luxury

Chatting with our very own euro77 and visiting the Honda Australia website, I now see that there are quite a few differences between the cars. I thought you would be interested, since I did a search and saw no mention of anything like this:
  • The biggie advantage of the AUS version in my book: Rain-sensing wipers. I would love these and if anyone knows if it is possible to get the parts and do this, let me know. I assume it's too tough.
  • Power 4-way passenger seat (I don't ride in the TSX's passenger seat, but I'm pretty sure it's manual).
  • Heat absorbing windows(?) Perhaps these are the same, I just don't recall this as a feature.
  • Front and rear ashtrays (I'm glad that mine does not have either).
  • No Nav option, like my friends to the North
  • Lacks heated seats (bummer) EDIT: Apparently the lux model does have them
  • No rear door speakers (why would they do that?) They have grills for them though.
Here are the specifications for the interior and the interior features. Also, they have two different versions of the Accord Euro (the std. and luxury). It looks like the Lux version comes with the fog lights so many of us have added. As for accessories, it looks like they offer gold emblem sets, bumper & trunk lip protector(?), towbar, hood protector(?), headlight protectors(?), and roof rack plus the main stuff in the U.S. They also offer a black woodgrain panel & silver panel set, in addition to the brown woodgrain set. Finally, it appears that there are other colors options as well, mainly including a different darker red and a blue that appears to be basically purple.

Too bad they don't offer the Canadian TSX in the U.S. with Australia's rain-sensing wipers and Japan's power rear sunshade, that would be a decked out car.
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Re: U.S. TSX vs. Australian Accord Euro Luxury

Originally posted by schalliol
Finally, it appears that there are other color options as well, mainly including a different darker red and a blue that appears to be basically purple.
The site shows it as Artic Blue Pearl. Its definently not like my Indigo Blue. That Red is nice, "Royal Ruby Read Pearl" very classy.

Check out the price.

Accord Euro
6-speed manual $34,250
5-speed automatic $36,250

Accord Euro Luxury
6-speed manual $40,800
5-speed automatic $42,800

Converting 34800.00 Canadian Dollars to
Australian Dollars will yield
32870.50 Australian Dollars.
(Derived rate = 0.9446)

Australians are paying alot for the car. We pay $34,800. Their paying $42,800 for a similar car, granted with a few more options. I wonder what the competitions pricing is in Australia?.

Any idea if the wheels are 16's or 17's? Can't find that info, I'm guessing 16's.
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:07 AM
Former Audio Mod

That is a big price difference. I think it's interesting that they have MDX and NSX, yet Accord Euro. I also noted that the basic regular Accord is the same price as the non Lux Accord Euro. While it's not for everyone, I love my Milano Red. The Ruby Red seems like a more like a pretty version of my old Camry, which was fine, but certainly leans toward lux instead of sport. Perhaps Euro77 will reply with the wheel info, I did send the link via PM.
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:13 AM

Re: U.S. TSX vs. Australian Accord Euro Luxury

Originally posted by schalliol
...Heat absorbing windows(?) Perhaps these are the same, I just don't recall this as a feature...
nice info, the acura site lists this feature as "Heat-rejecting green-tinted glass"...didnt know the TSX had that
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:15 AM
Instructor

well seeing dat im from australia......
hek i will answer
the wheels are 16's and we also get the heated side mirrors.........
anythign else u guys wanna know just hit me...
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Is that the "Acura" MDX and NSX or "Honda" MDX and NSX in Aus?

I would love to visit Australia, maybe visit Steve Irwin
What do you guys think of Steve down under smap?

He's a laugh a minute up here.
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:44 AM
Former Audio Mod

Wow, odd, no heated seats, but heated mirrors. Generally it is colder in the U.S. than Australia, so it's unusual to me that they thought we wouldn't want them, especially since we're so gadget-centric here.
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:50 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by domn
I would love to visit Australia, maybe visit Steve Irwin
What do you guys think of Steve down under smap?
Hehe. I visited Australia for vacation a few years ago and love it. If I had to pick another country to live outside North America, it would certainly be Australia. People just seem a lot, well, "cooler" there. Lower stress and nice folks. Not to mention the English language is a plus. I went to Herron Island (took a helicopter out there ) and did some diving out there and checked out the rainforest too. Very cool.

As for Steve, my cousin's wife is Australian and her take is that he's dangerous to kids because there really are dangerous animals out there and it's not smart to just stick your arm down their throats, etc. I guess he maybe is better than Dundee
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:59 AM
Instructor

oh yeh sorry we get heated seats too in the luxury model not the standard one though............ and yeh domn all the cars are branded Honda here theres never been anything branded or called Acura down here......
well i guess his more entertaining towards pplz outside of australia i guess coz everyones probably thinking Hey! is every Aussie like him?? dam his funny but yeh his funny with his accent and all but to a degree his just a crocodile hunter.....i would say if you imagine him without his accent and renowned "crikey! what was that" line then he wouldnt be as funny as he is with it....
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:02 AM
Instructor

oh and Herron island i wouldnt know where that is......
ive never been there sounds like its near Queensland or something...............
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:08 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by smap
oh and Herron island i wouldnt know where that is......
ive never been there sounds like its near Queensland or something...............
Here's a link. It was pretty great. We got to watch sea turtles come to lay eggs. The place is mostly a nature preserve, which makes it a nice place to be.
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:28 AM
Instructor

ahahahhaha cool what a guess it is off Queensland!! yeh it looks really nice there i might go there one day if i get the chance.
well Australia is a good place to live if u like the sun and the beaches........
but i rather a cooler climate like Canada........ i wouldnt mind living there the Maple leaves i think? they look cool it gives off a peaceful feeling..........i rather be there tommorow or today coz its hitting up towards 45 degrees celcius@!@! arGggGh how i like winter!
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:34 AM
Former Audio Mod

...and they thought you would want the heated mirrors when it still gets down to 40°F in Silicon Valley every night and the 30's pretty often and people think it's one of the nicer places to live in the country. I'd really want it for parking outside at work in Indiana when we move though.
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:40 AM
Instructor

dats what i like about North America
u guys get snow everywhere our snowfall in winter is only isolated in some areas and i mean some areas.........!!
It would be nice one day to be able to walk out my front door and see my driveway covered in snow.....how i can only wish...!!
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

dats what i like about North America
u guys get snow everywhere our snowfall in winter is only isolated in some areas and i mean some areas.........!!
It would be nice one day to be able to walk out my front door and see my driveway covered in snow.....how i can only wish...!!
Trust me you would change that tune quickly living in Canada or the Northern US. Snow is'nt that bad (except shoveling it). Its the cold that makes me want to move south somewhere. It can be so damn cold up here for long periods of time that it just wears on you. I'm certain I'll be retiring in a warmer climate as my body simply can't handle these temperatures.

Having said that its a downright balmy 3C (37.4F) today which is great for this time of year. Better than the -30C (-22F) nights we had a few weeks ago.

And smap don't forget about the salt they throw on on roads to clear snow and ice that is just killing my TSX
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:54 AM
Instructor

wow! -30C OMG! dat is so cold although i wouldnt mind experiencing that though! Man our winters must look wimpy compared to those temperatures!! our average winter temps id guess from my experiences would be in the ranges of 8-15C ahahahahah nothing crazy like compared to -30C!! although i wouldnt know how cold that would be until i experience it!!
Canada here i come!
ahahaha
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:57 AM
Former Audio Mod

Having lived in San Diego, Indiana and Silicon Valley, I have to say that I like snow, but I don't need it all year. Indiana is about perfect for me because it gets a bit of snow every year, and when it does snow there can be a fair amount. However, it doesn't last more than about a couple of months in total, with probaly only 30 days with much snow. Here in the Valley, it can get fairly cold, and I can drive 3 hrs to Tahoe and see a lot more. That's nice, but I'd prefer about what you get in Indiana, though the ice and sand is NOT good.
Old 02-19-2004 | 11:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

wow! -30C OMG! dat is so cold although i wouldnt mind experiencing that though! Man our winters must look wimpy compared to those temperatures!! our average winter temps id guess from my experiences would be in the ranges of 8-15C ahahahahah nothing crazy like compared to -30C!! although i wouldnt know how cold that would be until i experience it!!
Canada here i come!
ahahaha
And thats just in Toronto which is located as far South as possible (Practically) than any other Canadian city. The other provinces can reach -40 or worse on a regular basis and for an extended period of time. Here in Toronto it may hit -30 but only for a day or two and never for more than a month (on average) It does typically remain at at least -10 to -15 for the better part of Dec, Jan and Feb.

Australia here I come !
Old 02-19-2004 | 11:25 AM
Stokeless

i love austrailia!!!! been there 4 times. its great. I think i love the lil asian women with the ausy accent muahahaa soo freakin sexy.
i met this lil filipina girl in sydney...char...that gurl was soo dayam fine!!!!
Old 02-19-2004 | 11:38 AM
Former Audio Mod

Hahahahha....ok any other TSX comparisons out there? How do you guys like the rain-sensing wipers?
Old 02-19-2004 | 12:47 PM
bleh...

I don't really have a need for rain sensing wipers. I can always flip the switch to turn on the wipers anyways. Also, I have a friend who lives in New Zealand, he is in the process of getting me a bunch of NZ car sales brochures. I asked him to get me a copy of the Accord Euro cuz I own its sister car an Acura TSX.

I want to move to Toronto some day, such a beautiful and diverse city. Its a place that would make me feel more at home. Plus half of my relatives live there, I have family and friends in SoCal too.

As I grew up, my family moved around a lot I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, Indianapolis, Indiana, Overland Park, Kansas and currently residing in Missouri and Illinois. I have a house in both Chicago and St. Louis.

As for another unique Honda check out the Honda MR-V sold in the Middle East. Its essentially a Honda Pilot.

www.hondauae.com
Old 02-19-2004 | 01:07 PM
Former Audio Mod

Fun stuff! As for the wipers, I really like the rain sensing ones, true not 100% needed though. My parent's 540i & E55 AMG both have them and they're great whenever I visit (though the cars are "ok" w/o the wipers ).
Old 02-19-2004 | 01:12 PM
Pro

Do the Euro or Aussie TSX models (Accords) come with headlamp washers? - that's what we need in the North - rid ourselves of the filthy film of salt that reduces nightime visibility....
Old 02-19-2004 | 01:19 PM
6MT Snob

You know speaking of missing features, I think its kinda lame that the TSX doesnt have auto headlights when even the crappy ass chevy malibu rental car I had last week had them.
Old 02-19-2004 | 01:20 PM
bleh...

Originally posted by crisco
Do the Euro or Aussie TSX models (Accords) come with headlamp washers? - that's what we need in the North - rid ourselves of the filthy film of salt that reduces nightime visibility....
I know the Accords sold in Europe have this feature, but I think the NZ Accord Euro Luxury models have it too.
Old 02-19-2004 | 02:03 PM
Racer

our N A TSX do have Heat-rejecting green-tinted glass. i would like to have a Rain-sensing wipers in my car and power rear sunshade as upgrades. japan accord (TSX) have more and good toys. Smart card, HIDS (not HID light), parking sensor, auto on HID when is low light. and upgrades like rear parking camera like RX330..........
Old 02-19-2004 | 02:30 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by tsxer.ca
our N A TSX do have Heat-rejecting green-tinted glass. i would like to have a Rain-sensing wipers in my car and power rear sunshade as upgrades. japan accord (TSX) have more and good toys. Smart card, HIDS (not HID light), parking sensor, auto on HID when is low light. and upgrades like rear parking camera like RX330..........
I knew that the Japanese version had some of that and I started a thread to try to get a rear sunshade, but to no avail. I didn't realize it had so many features, can we get some of those? What are the smart cards for?
Old 02-19-2004 | 03:54 PM
Racer

well... if you have friends in NZ or japan, you can ask them to buy it for you and ship them to you. only question is the price, and how to install. The Dealer in N A are not trained for these toys and i don;t think them will install them. what is a smart card.. do research in the forums.
Old 02-19-2004 | 04:24 PM
Former Audio Mod

Is there anyone on the board from there that could look at this?
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:48 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
I don't really have a need for rain sensing wipers. I can always flip the switch to turn on the wipers anyways.
I think the rain-sensing wipers measure the amount of water on the windshield and set the wiper speed accordingly, so you don't need to fiddle with the intermittents in changing conditions.
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:05 PM
6MT Snob

I used to have a Cadillac Seville STS that had the rainsensing wipers.. it basically uses an electric eye to calculate the amount of distortion the water is causing on the window and tries to keep it clean
Old 02-19-2004 | 11:13 PM
Former Audio Mod

Exactly right, it's very nice and you realize it only when you don't have to modulate the controls....so unless you can get these, don't try one
Old 02-19-2004 | 11:56 PM
Intermediate

I used to have rain sensing wipers on my old car (BMW)... i really liked it. Wish i could have it on the tsx too.
Old 10-01-2004 | 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smap
well seeing dat im from australia......
hek i will answer
the wheels are 16's and we also get the heated side mirrors.........
anythign else u guys wanna know just hit me...
What the?
My Accord Euro Luxury certainly doesn't have heated mirror.
Maybe you are not from Australia?
or am I missing something here. I'm very sure it doesn't have a heated mirror.
Old 10-01-2004 | 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crisco
Australia do get the headlight washer on the Luxury model.
By law in Australia, you need both automatic height adjuster for the headlight and washer for HID to be fitted to cars legally.
When you pull on the column stalk this thing pops out of front bumper and cleans the headlamp.
Old 10-01-2004 | 09:25 PM
Boy Genius

Originally Posted by keejoonc
Australia do get the headlight washer on the Luxury model.
By law in Australia, you need both automatic height adjuster for the headlight and washer for HID to be fitted to cars legally.
When you pull on the column stalk this thing pops out of front bumper and cleans the headlamp.
Yes, you can see it clearly in this picture:

Question for the Aussies here: where are the Australian Accord Euro and MDX built?

P.S. I love Australia too except for the taxes, and not every place in Canada gets to -40C (Vancouverites chime in here).
Old 10-02-2004 | 12:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lokman
Question for the Aussies here: where are the Australian Accord Euro and MDX built?
I don't know about MDX but Australian Accord Euro is built in Japan. I thought all Accord Euro's are built in Japan?
Old 10-02-2004 | 01:34 AM
Boy Genius

Thanks keejoonc. Quite likely that the Australian Accord Euros are from Japan, I just wasn't sure if the European Accords are built in Europe or Japan.

North American MDXs are built in Canada, but I wasn't aware of MDXs being sold in any other markets except Australia, so I'm curious as to where they're built because they're right-hand drive.
Old 10-02-2004 | 03:36 AM
bleh...

Originally Posted by lokman
Thanks keejoonc. Quite likely that the Australian Accord Euros are from Japan, I just wasn't sure if the European Accords are built in Europe or Japan.

North American MDXs are built in Canada, but I wasn't aware of MDXs being sold in any other markets except Australia, so I'm curious as to where they're built because they're right-hand drive.
They sell the Honda Pilot in the Middle East as the Honda MR-V as I pointed out on the previous page of this old thread. I am assuming its built in Canada and exported to the UAE. How about the Aussie Accord V6 Luxury? Where are those built these days? I remember the 98-02 Accords sold in Australia were built in either the US or Thailand. They might have changed it now....not sure.
Old 10-02-2004 | 06:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Agent_Chen
How about the Aussie Accord V6 Luxury? Where are those built these days?
Big, Accord V6's are built in Thailand and hence their lower build quality compared to Accord Euro's.

Quick Reply: U.S. TSX vs. Australian Accord Euro Luxury