Two things I'm not happy in my new TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things I'm not happy in my new TSX

I had a 04 TSX that was totaled in a crash recently. Last week I replaced it with an 06 model (5AT/Nav).

The 06 TSX is very much improved. The ride is a lot better (very amazing, considering that I liked the ride in th 04 model). The seats are more comfortable, and the new features are a lot of fun.

But (so far) there's 2 things I'm not pleased with. Maybe they can be adjusted, but I cant find anything about it.

1. The big "Cruise Control" sign that takes up half of the MID. The information in the MID is important enough to me that I don't want to lose half of it when CC is on (which I use a lot).

2. The XM song title gets cut off. This is on the Navi screen, where I expected that it would have much more control over the display. Other XM radios have a feature where text will scroll like a marquee if the title can't be seen all at once.

Anyone know how to change either of these settings?
Old 11-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

as far as the cruise control thing goes, it always starts out as saying cruise control, but if you hit the info button a couple of times you can get it to say what it normally does
Old 11-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Have camera, will travel

The ride is better? I thought nothing had changed in that regard from '04 to '06.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Well I would assume that the ride is better in the 2006 as well, and after driving Jmatthew's car, man, I loved my 2006 feeling better. (Don't kill me Jason )

And about the MID, yeah when you switch on cruise control, just press the info. button a couple times to get the information that you need. Yeah, it's annoying but it gets the job done.

As for the XM radio, I was never really into listening to the XM free service that I got for the first three months, but during the third month, It was actually really cool and I got into it. But knowing that the title was cut off and that I couldnt scroll the song names and what not, I got a bit disappointed with the XM set up. So yeah, I don't use it anymore, considering that my service was cancelled, but that the few things that I nitpick at when using the XM service in my TSX. Plus, I use my IPOD allllllll the time
Old 11-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Go Dutch !

I can say the same for the 06 EuroAccord comming from an 03 EuroAccord... Ride is improved a lot. The 06 is specially much more quite. Wind and engine noises have been reduced segnificantly....
Old 11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mokijoki
I can say the same for the 06 EuroAccord comming from an 03 EuroAccord... Ride is improved a lot. The 06 is specially much more quite. Wind and engine noises have been reduced segnificantly....
That's my take on the 06 TSX too. Much quieter, smoother ride. The 04 was more stiff and bumpy. I used to joke that if I ran over a dime, I could tell if it was heads or tails.

I eventually replaced the tires on my 04 with Bridgstone Turanzas. They made a lot of difference in the bumpiness of the ride. I'll be in the market soon to replace the OEM Michelin's. Maybe the Turanzas again, maybe something else that comes highly recommended.

BTW, thanks all for the hint about the Cruise Control message. I'm still getting used to all the new buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you get it to go back to no information? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I"m thinking that you can't. I normally ride around with the MID "off" I find that it distracts me and that I watch it more than the road. the big cruise control display at night really drives me crazy because that's all I can concentrate on.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by EuRTSX

And about the MID, yeah when you switch on cruise control, just press the info. button a couple times to get the information that you need. Yeah, it's annoying but it gets the job done.
Thanks for the advice... i've been annoyed with that huge Cruise Control display. When I'm cruising on the highway, I'd like to be able to see my instant fuel economy, and the average fuel econ. Of course, I'm looking for the numbers to go down, since I'm in Canada, and we measure in liters/100km instead of mpg.

Last trip I took down to Toronto, I averaged 7.4 l/100km, which equates to 31.7mpg... at an average speed of 125km/hr, or 77mph...
Old 11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
as far as the cruise control thing goes, it always starts out as saying cruise control, but if you hit the info button a couple of times you can get it to say what it normally does
I still cannot get this to work. I press both the Info and Set buttons over and over. The information does scroll in the lower part of the MID, but the top part still shouts "CRUSE CONTROL". I wish it was connected to a dummy light, like the main CC on/off switch is.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
One of the 06 improvements listed was reduced NVH.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by tirebiter
I still cannot get this to work. I press both the Info and Set buttons over and over. The information does scroll in the lower part of the MID, but the top part still shouts "CRUSE CONTROL". I wish it was connected to a dummy light, like the main CC on/off switch is.
Tried that today, and it doesn't work. i kept pressing on the info button and couldn't make that "CRUISE CONTROL" go away. the bottom part of the HID (Display 2) kept going through each screen, but the top part wouldn't change... this sucks!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The seats are more comfortable, and the new features are a lot of fun.
The seats changed from '04 to '06?
Maybe your 04 was just broken in and losing support?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
One of the 06 improvements listed was reduced NVH.
Was that an improvement officially published for the '06s?
Meaning alongside the BT, upgraded nav, standard fogs upgrades.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by psteng19
The seats changed from '04 to '06?
Maybe your 04 was just broken in and losing support?
No, the seats were in good shape. I just think the 06 has more supple leather, and the seat seems to be shaped more comfortably. Could be my imagination. I originally had quartz and now it's ebony. I don't know if that makes a difference. As to reduced NVH, I definitely feel this is the case.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Go Dutch !

No, the seats were in good shape. I just think the 06 has more supple leather, and the seat seems to be shaped more comfortably. Could be my imagination. I originally had quartz and now it's ebony. I don't know if that makes a difference. As to reduced NVH, I definitely feel this is the case.

In the Euro 06 the leather was improved. Seats look the same shape, but feel better.. but that may be because the car is new
Old 11-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro

i jus don't like the way our tsx closes our door (especially front doors) and makes this hollow metal sound "tong!" when it closes.

yea we do have 5 star side crashing rate.

but still, that sounds annoys me at times... i don't even close the door hard....
Old 11-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jaehshim
i jus don't like the way our tsx closes our door (especially front doors) and makes this hollow metal sound "tong!" when it closes.

but still, that sounds annoys me at times... i don't even close the door hard....

Really? I actually enjoy the hollow door noise. I come from a loud *SLAM* Volvo 850, that sounded terrible whenever you closed the door.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by psteng19
Was that an improvement officially published for the '06s?
Meaning alongside the BT, upgraded nav, standard fogs upgrades.
Yes, I can't find the press release anymore, but it was listed.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 06 has different rubber material used for the door seals. I compared between an 04 and 06. The 06 rubber feels less dense.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by aaronng
The 06 has different rubber material used for the door seals. I compared between an 04 and 06. The 06 rubber feels less dense.
This is probably because on the 04, when all the windows are up and the other 3 doors are closed, you have to slam the 4th door harder because of the air pressure difference. I noticed the 06 doesn't require as much force.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

04->06 = same seats and suspension.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Yes, it sounds cheap. Like a tin can. Audi's have the best door closing sound. Its a deep THUD. Apparently the TSX doors were engineered to sound like this as well, but I think they need to go back to the drawing board on that one.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Driver/Detailer

This is probably because on the 04, when all the windows are up and the other 3 doors are closed, you have to slam the 4th door harder because of the air pressure difference. I noticed the 06 doesn't require as much force.
But all TSX have a vent located on the side rear (you see it after you remove the rear bumper). So pressure in the cabin when closing the 4th door is not an issue.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Go Dutch !

Not the case for the TSX, but for me having a 2L EuroAccord it felt like the engine had better pull (more torque). I did some searching on the internet and came across a nice article about the improvements of the K20Z over the K20A engine (my 03 Euro had the K20A6 and my new Euro has the new K20Z2). The article confirms not only the 12NM increase, but also the smoother and more quite ride. Funny that in Asia they put the exact same engines in the 8th gen Civic2.0s as they put in the 2L EuroAccord in europe. Article describes exactly my situation engine wise, except for the fact I have MT.
The article may be interresting for you TSXers also, as the K20Z engines seem to be the evolution of the K20A, from which one would assume there might be a K24Z as well...

Improvements K20Z over K20A :

1. New Intake Manifold with Resonator
The K20Z features a new intake manifold design that features a 'torque-up' resonator (resonance chamber) that delivers improvements in low and mid-range torque. This resonator is what is mainly responsible for the nice peak in torque in the midrange of the new K20Z engine.

2. New Camshafts
In addition to the new intake mainfold, the K20Z features new camshafts with profiles that are specifically designed to complement the resonator in the intake manifold. These two combines together to deliver the high-rpm power output and torque improvements that we see in the power/torque chart above.

3. New exhaust manifold
The exhaust manifold is a new 'even runner length' design that features a high (exhaust gas) flow rate. Even runner length means that the individual runners of the manifold are all equal in length. An even runner length exhaust manifolds features convoluted runners which twists and turns. This ensures that all 4 runners are of equal length. The new exhaust manifold design helps to deliver high power and torque.

4. Drive-by-Wire (DBW)
The K20Z features a new Drive By Wire (DBW) system that features an electronically controlled throttle body. DBW means that the throttle (gas) pedal is no longer directly connected to the throttle body via a throttle cable. Rather there is an electronic sensor that detects the throttle pedal position. This sensor feeds the position into the ECU which then electronically sets the throttle opening using logic and parameters built into the PGM-Fi program. Honda says that their reason for choosing DBW is the flexibility that it offers, especially in letting them create 'acceleration feeling', i.e. smoothness and linearity in pickup.

5. Additional MAF (Air-Flow) Meter
Finally the K20Z features additional MAF sensors or air-flow sensors in addition to the standard MAP sensors. Used together, they offer more accurate A/F control that can be afforded by just the use of a MAP sensor. Thus the air-fuel ratio in the engine and combustion efficiency can be more accurately maintained and this allows a smaller cat to be used - thus less precious metal required which to Honda represents an important 'cost-down' - lower manufacturing costs

link to article
Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

The K20 European Accord was always a bit wimpy by comparison to the 2.4 (as used in the TSX also), hence why I opted for it rather than a 2L with cheaper insurance costs. That and 6 speed box.
Whilst I'm not saying the 2.4 can't be better, I think the above were done to make the distinction between the two, less. Since a lot of the Accords are company fleet or employee opt-outs, then the tax break makes the 2L the preferred option, but not preferred against Audi/VW/BMW/Merc.
So I imagine Honda have just been addressing an issue that needed doing sooner.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Advanced

But all TSX have a vent located on the side rear (you see it after you remove the rear bumper). So pressure in the cabin when closing the 4th door is not an issue.
Maybe, but I thought it was so noticeable on my 04, that I brought it back to the dealer the next day, and showed them that the driver's door had to nearly be slamed shut. They showed me several other TSXs that behaved the same way. The 06 model isn't as bad. Maybe they've improved the vent.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Go Dutch !

Originally Posted by PJS
The K20 European Accord was always a bit wimpy by comparison to the 2.4 (as used in the TSX also), hence why I opted for it rather than a 2L with cheaper insurance costs. That and 6 speed box.
Whilst I'm not saying the 2.4 can't be better, I think the above were done to make the distinction between the two, less. Since a lot of the Accords are company fleet or employee opt-outs, then the tax break makes the 2L the preferred option, but not preferred against Audi/VW/BMW/Merc.
So I imagine Honda have just been addressing an issue that needed doing sooner.
Wouldn't call the old K20A whimpy... I could still keep up or even beet most company fleet BMW's (318i), VW's and Merc's (C180) with it... On the highway the difference with the K24 wasn't even that much (230km/h top easy). The main difference was the pull (torque) which they definatly seem to have adressed with the new K20Z.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Pro

Which side of the car is this vent on? I can hear it "flap" like a flue when I close my rear doors, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Driver/Detailer

Maybe, but I thought it was so noticeable on my 04, that I brought it back to the dealer the next day, and showed them that the driver's door had to nearly be slamed shut. They showed me several other TSXs that behaved the same way. The 06 model isn't as bad. Maybe they've improved the vent.
Might be a misaligned door? All the 04's in Australia don't have to be slammed to get the door closed....
Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
Which side of the car is this vent on? I can hear it "flap" like a flue when I close my rear doors, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it.
On our RHD models, the vent is on the rear left, behind the rear left wheel when you remove the bumper.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Summer is Coming

On our RHD models, the vent is on the rear left, behind the rear left wheel when you remove the bumper.
This may be it... this is the driver's side rear wheel well behind the trunk trim.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:03 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mokijoki
Wouldn't call the old K20A whimpy... I could still keep up or even beet most company fleet BMW's (318i), VW's and Merc's (C180) with it... On the highway the difference with the K24 wasn't even that much (230km/h top easy). The main difference was the pull (torque) which they definatly seem to have adressed with the new K20Z.
It was the torque I was referring to - sorry for being more clear.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Might be a misaligned door? All the 04's in Australia don't have to be slammed to get the door closed....
That's what I thought at the time, but the dealer showed me 2-3 other TSXs that behaved the same way. Plus I later determined that it didn't matter which door was being closed, if the other doors/windows were closed, the 4th door had to be closed much harder, or else it would be ajar.