Two Questions: A/C and Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Questions: A/C and Clear Bra

Alright...just grabbed my TSX today...

It is sitting in my driveway and there is a ton of fluid underneath, I believe from the A/C b/c it is clear and does not smell. Any worries there? And when I say a ton...like enough to cause a mark on the driveway nearly as wide as the car and dribbles all the way down past the rear bumper.

Clear bra: Did anybody else get this? I got the 3M version and it does not wrap around the entire front bumper. It also does not cover all of the areas as cleanly as I hoped. Not sure how to explain it but say that you can see the line of the bra ending right before where the body part ends. I must admit...I'm a little (just a wee bit) disappointed with how noticeable the bra is. Now, it does not jump out at you, but if you look for it...you can see it. On a SSM. Still, I'm glad that I got it...I'm sure that I'll be even happier in a few years! Any other owners of clear bra-3M or not- have any insight?

TIA!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Instructor

I have a black TSX. The line of the Clear Bra is pretty noticeable.

but ... this is best we can get, right?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:36 PM
2005 TL 6MT Aspec

The liquid is just water. Mine does the same thing.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by hbux
I have a black TSX. The line of the Clear Bra is pretty noticeable.

but ... this is best we can get, right?
So, I've been told! Do you have the same "fit" issues that I have?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

The clear bra fit ok.

The only porblem is the invisible bra is not really invisible. Any little bubble, scratch on the film show. If you put the film on the other color of the car, there is no problem at all.

Black is nice... but not on the next car.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Everyday Joe

I'm going to be taking my car back to the 3m place b/c there was a bubble that popped on the front bumper. I'm still a bit underwhelmed by the fit of the bra. I'm just not happy with how the bra stops just short of every bit of the car. That makes for two lines...clear bra and the actual car.
I suppose that it still is better than having rock chips
Old 08-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Racer

why dont you just get the Leather Bra for $117.....i know i am going to get it and use it for 6th months (cleveland winter)...in the summer....i'll just take it off
Old 08-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgillette
why dont you just get the Leather Bra for $117.....i know i am going to get it and use it for 6th months (cleveland winter)...in the summer....i'll just take it off

I've never owned a bra (car or otherwise!) but friends of mine that did would always remove it in the winter (so salt etc. didn't just get held against the finish, I guess). Sounds like you're planning on the reverse? I agree, your idea seems to make more sense, but I can't help but wonder if my friends were right too...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Racer

no....as long as you take it off every so often (i do once a week) and clean under it...make sure there is always a good coat of wax on the paint its covering....

i've never had a problem...
Old 08-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by bgillette
Thanks for the suggestion but the leather bra is just not for me.
I suppose that I do sound overly negative on the clear bra....I do like it and am glad that I did it. I probably just had too high of expectations for it. That with the smallest of issues with the one bubble has made me sound like a whiny crab!
I'm still glad that I did it...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
hey kegger...you got any pics of your TSX with the clear bra? I only had a small piece put on mine to see how it looks..but I ended up not getting it cause I allready got chips on my hood and the bra magnified those chips... Your installer didn't mention it won't stretch over your entire bumper? That was the first thing my installer mentioned to me. But for my next car, I'm going look to get one installed before any rock chips get on it
I did get the headlights and fog lights kit through
Old 08-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

I agree. I believe pics will certainly do justice. Please kindly post them once you have them available.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Everyday Joe

Guys...I sure will. If they don't get up by tonight, they won't for a week or so b/c we're moving tom. and I'm losing internet service for a week or so. But, I will get them up!
Should have done that a while ago...
Stupid me
Old 08-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by keg1997
Alright...just grabbed my TSX today...

Clear bra: Did anybody else get this? I got the 3M version and it does not wrap around the entire front bumper. It also does not cover all of the areas as cleanly as I hoped. Not sure how to explain it but say that you can see the line of the bra ending right before where the body part ends. I must admit...I'm a little (just a wee bit) disappointed with how noticeable the bra is. Now, it does not jump out at you, but if you look for it...you can see it. On a SSM. Still, I'm glad that I got it...I'm sure that I'll be even happier in a few years! Any other owners of clear bra-3M or not- have any insight?

TIA!
Kegger,

What you are experiencing is caused by one or both of these issues. One the design of the kit was not made to cover all the way to edge. It can depend on who designed it or if it was hand cut on the car. What brand did you get?

The other thing can be the installer. Sometimes the installer doesnt quit understand that the material needs to be stretched a bit to make sure that the product meets the edges of the body panels to give it a better fit and look smoother on the car.

Darker color cars should not have a factor of the clear bra except when dirty or you are standing right on top of it. The film sya on a bugundy car will look better than on Silver. Burgundy has a deeper look to it and it allows the film to hide better.

For darker color cars you need to watch out for waxing and making sure you wash the often this will help the film and your expectations a lot.

If you have any other questions let me know. Be glad to help.

Chad
Old 08-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
Kegger,

What you are experiencing is caused by one or both of these issues. One the design of the kit was not made to cover all the way to edge. It can depend on who designed it or if it was hand cut on the car. What brand did you get?

The other thing can be the installer. Sometimes the installer doesnt quit understand that the material needs to be stretched a bit to make sure that the product meets the edges of the body panels to give it a better fit and look smoother on the car.

Darker color cars should not have a factor of the clear bra except when dirty or you are standing right on top of it. The film sya on a bugundy car will look better than on Silver. Burgundy has a deeper look to it and it allows the film to hide better.

For darker color cars you need to watch out for waxing and making sure you wash the often this will help the film and your expectations a lot.

If you have any other questions let me know. Be glad to help.

Chad
Chad,
Thanks so much for your help. I need my installer to redo some parts of it (it has bubbled or just does not look good) so I'll bring this to his attention.
Also...it was 3M brand installed by ultrashield (a national chain it seems)
Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Chad,
Thanks so much for your help. I need my installer to redo some parts of it (it has bubbled or just does not look good) so I'll bring this to his attention.
Thanks again!
who did you have do it? Im looking for an installer in MD / DC area
Old 08-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned

Chad,
Thanks again!
Yes, I am aware of them. Glad I could help you out.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by smock9
who did you have do it? Im looking for an installer in MD / DC area
I used Ultrashield. I found them through the 3M website under listed installers. I would suggest to try that approach and see who pops up for your area. Obviously I cannot wholeheartily recommend my installer. I have yet to call him to discuss my concerns so obviously I'm too concerned-other things (new house/new baby (not car) have been calling!

Ultrashield is a franchise sorta deal so they probably have one up near you.
Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Everyday Joe

Yes, I am aware of them. Glad I could help you out.
Hmmmm...sounds like you don't think too highly of them. Care to share? If I'm reading too much into your comment...then I apologize!
Thanks again...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
hey kegger...you got any pics of your TSX with the clear bra? I only had a small piece put on mine to see how it looks..but I ended up not getting it cause I allready got chips on my hood and the bra magnified those chips... Your installer didn't mention it won't stretch over your entire bumper? That was the first thing my installer mentioned to me. But for my next car, I'm going look to get one installed before any rock chips get on it
I did get the headlights and fog lights kit through

R'US, are you saying that your exsiting hood chips were magnified even more after the clear bra was put on top?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
R'US, are you saying that your exsiting hood chips were magnified even more after the clear bra was put on top?
Obviously, you'd have to do touch up painting before putting the clear bra on if you have stone chips.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
This is why the chips bother me so much. I touch up every one and they end up being very noticeable. Maybe I'm doing a bad job of it but I'd rather touch em up then have them rust.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You will have to add paint a few times to fill in the chips. One layer isn't going to suffice. Add one everytime you wash the car. After 3 or 4 layers it should be good enough that the clear bra is going to adhere.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Banned

Hmmmm...sounds like you don't think too highly of them. Care to share? If I'm reading too much into your comment...then I apologize!
Thanks again...
Nope you are just reading too much into things there. I know the owner pretty well.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Everyday Joe

Nope you are just reading too much into things there. I know the owner pretty well.
Glad to hear!.
Thanks...