Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 AM
kai!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWM Performance Shift Knob - AWESOME!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

TWM Performance Weighted Shift Knob: M1 Abrams
http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...hiftknobs.html

I wanted to get a nice, heavy shift knob, but I also wanted a completely round one. The Maven and Skunk2 seems like very nice, high quality knobs, but they didn't seem like the ones that suited what I wanted. I was searching online and this website came up. They have a lot of other cool knobs on the site also, but all of them except this one and another had the TWM logo on it, so it didn't seem as appealing as the two ball ones that don't have the logo. So, I finally gave in and did that damn thang, and bought it. I got the Stainless Steel version, but I was tempted to get the Gun Blue finish (if someone gets it, take pictures!).

I bought mine for $93.70 shipped after using a coupon code they sent me after scanning and sending in my UT-Dallas ID card for proof of college enrollment for a discount. I believe they also offer military discounts...check out the website, they've been having good sales. Also had decent shipping with UPS - got it in a week from the date of order.

Stats from website:
Features:
- adjustable height
- precision machined spherical finish
- currently available in stainless steel, satin finish, gun metal, and flat black!

Dimensions:
- 2" (51mm) in diameter

Weight:
- approx. 460 grams
This baby is HEAVY! A nice 1lb knob makes shifting soo much easier and smoother.

And now for my pictures...

All things you think look like scratches are actually my finger prints from holding it, I made sure by looking at it after polishing it with a microfiber cloth).

Yes fellas that's right, it sits so low on the shifter that you don't even need a spacer to hold the shift boot up. I was worried I'd have to pull that damn console back up to do it because I knew it was a royal PITA when I installed my Comptech short shifter - so glad I didn't have to. The boot ring doesn't have any play with the knob threaded all the way down. Comparison to stock shifter:

Slightly wider, but perfect size, for my hand at least.

Red lines indicate the approximate point of end of threading (where the shift lever will sit). Green box is the extra height from the stock knob.

Look at the depth!

There's the nylon thread on the right that we use for our specific make and model of car. Just thread it onto the stock shift lever, then thread the knob on and tighten. If you want to make the knob sit higher, use the metal spacer on the left and the tool it came with to thread it inside the knob:

No spacer for me though, so I took it out and installed it without the spacer (with the nylon thread though of course).

Nylon thread installed (picture above shows the other end of it without the inner threading for shift lever). Notice the groove for the tool to remove the thread.

All in all, best shifter I could find and I'm happy with it. Extremely high quality product, recommend it to everyone! Shifting is so much smoother with it. No more feeling like you're going through gates at every gear, no more grinding, and no more granny shifting. Works awesome with my Comptech short shifter installed. I may do the bushing later. We'll see how Texas heat will affect my hand tomorrow during the day.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sooo about that stock shift knob. we can trade then you can sell mine... =)
Old 07-17-2007, 03:24 AM
kai!

or ill just sell mine haha
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 AM
2006 ASM tsx

why aren't you just on aim.. geeze anyhow really consider
.. gimem the shift knob.. cmon it could be an "aw man im sorry u got into a wreck." gift.. lmao.... =P
Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Driver/Detailer

Wow that's pricey. But that thread adapter is smart.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about a pic of it in the car so we can see how low it sits?

Nice looking knob. I prefer the shape of the Maven myself so I run one of those, but I can see why some would prefer spherical.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM
kai!

Originally Posted by Audioserf
How about a pic of it in the car so we can see how low it sits?

Nice looking knob. I prefer the shape of the Maven myself so I run one of those, but I can see why some would prefer spherical.
I took one earlier with the rest of the pictures but it came out blurry. I'll have to do it again tomorrow when I get a chance...got an exam tomorrow but, I can say driving with it is so much better. snick, snick-ing
Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by n1ke5h
Red lines indicate the approximate point of end of threading (where the shift lever will sit). Green box is the extra height from the stock knob.

[IMG]http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9450/pictures031marksew3.jpg[IMG]
hahah. nice pics...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
...and no more granny shifting.
Good lord...did you just quote Vin Diesel?

Any pics of the knob installed in the car? Also, any updates on how the aluminum knob fairs in hot weather? This looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for, provided I wouldn't burn the crap out of my hand after this thing bakes in the sun for a few hours...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 PM
kai!

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Good lord...did you just quote Vin Diesel?

Any pics of the knob installed in the car? Also, any updates on how the aluminum knob fairs in hot weather? This looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for, provided I wouldn't burn the crap out of my hand after this thing bakes in the sun for a few hours...
Yep...Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like I should...

Surprisingly, the Texas heat and direct sunlight has yet to burn my hand. It gets warm, but definitely not enough that I can't hold the knob continuously...and I always end up parking in sunlight.

Here's some more pictures...sorry my interior is kinda dusty :

Neutral...

3rd...

Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That actually looks really good.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
kai!

Thanks! This is my new favorite toy. I makes driving so much better. Snick-Snick!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

TWM Performance Weighted Shift Knob: M1 Abrams
http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...hiftknobs.html

I wanted to get a nice, heavy shift knob, but I also wanted a completely round one. The Maven and Skunk2 seems like very nice, high quality knobs, but they didn't seem like the ones that suited what I wanted. I was searching online and this website came up. They have a lot of other cool knobs on the site also, but all of them except this one and another had the TWM logo on it, so it didn't seem as appealing as the two ball ones that don't have the logo. So, I finally gave in and did that damn thang, and bought it. I got the Stainless Steel version, but I was tempted to get the Gun Blue finish (if someone gets it, take pictures!).

I bought mine for $93.70 shipped after using a coupon code they sent me after scanning and sending in my UT-Dallas ID card for proof of college enrollment for a discount. I believe they also offer military discounts...check out the website, they've been having good sales. Also had decent shipping with UPS - got it in a week from the date of order.

Stats from website:
Features:
- adjustable height
- precision machined spherical finish
- currently available in stainless steel, satin finish, gun metal, and flat black!

Dimensions:
- 2" (51mm) in diameter

Weight:
- approx. 460 grams
This baby is HEAVY! A nice 1lb knob makes shifting soo much easier and smoother.
Hi n1ke5h,

Thanks for the great review of our M1 Abrams shift knob! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Kevin
TWM Performance