TSX vs TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSX vs TL

Well, I have had my TL for about three weeks now. I had my 2004 TSX for about a year before the dealer ruined it and bought it back, so I think it is time I give some perspective on the differences between the two cars.

I am not sure if anybody has written something like this before, so I am going to do my best to shed some light – although this will not be a long review.

We all know the major differences, the size difference, and the engine difference. 4 Cyl vs 6 Cyl.

The large engine was enough to get me to jump to the TL for this car. The TSX was defiantly powerful enough for most drivers, including myself, but the extra power is so much more fun.

The TSX has better gas mileage, this I to be expected though. From what I remember I was getting about 25MPG with the TSX and with the TL I have been getting 20MPG. So this is a big advantage to the TSX (especially with current gas prices)

Technology – the differences are generally minimal. The TL has its advantages over the TSX – the handsfreelink Bluetooth system I happen to love in my TL. I am almost positive the 06’ TSX will have it built in. The DVD-audio has amazing sound quality, however, there are so few dvd-a discs available that its not a huge advantage (IMO). The only other advantage that I can think of is the XM radio, but the 05’ TSX has this built in now.

I do need to point out that having the memory seats in the TL is a huge advantage, at least for me.

The TSX has the turn signals built in the side mirrors, I happen to like this feature, and I wish the TL had it.

I think the real difference is the ride and handling differences between the TSX and the TL. The TSX is a sports luxury sedan. The TL is a luxury sports sedan. The TSX is much more nimble and handles much better. You can take it through turns with ease and change lanes quickly. You feel like you are driving a small easy to maneuver car whereas with the TL it feels bulkier (and it is) and without the a-spec suspension is not much of a competitor to the TSX in terms of handling. Sure, for straight line acceleration, the TL will beat the TSX – but if you are looking for a car to really compete in true handling, the TSX wins.

So, which car to get – the TSX or the TL? With the $5,000 difference many people often wonder which one to get. Personally, I still say TL, but it is up to you. If you want to save the money and you do not want the extra fast car, get the TSX, you won’t be disappointed. It has excellent acceleration for being a 4 CYL. If you want cooler technology and more of a luxury car over a sports car, get the TL. Either way, you will get an excellent car. They are both luxury enough for most people and they are both sporty enough for most people. I personally think the extra money was worth it for the TL, especially after I spent a few more thousand and added the a-spec package.

Oh, also the TL is more susceptible to rattles and dropping headliners. Fortunately I only have on rattle, and the headliner is no longer falling on my head.

My favorite features in the TL: Blue ambient lighting (and gauges) and the handsfreelink. My favorite features in the TSX: hands down the handling of the car

Again, hopefully this review will be helpful to some potential TSX/TL shoppers.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up !
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Advanced

I too, like nearly everyone (right?) cross-shopped the TSX and the TL. Your write-up is top notch! I chose the TSX for a coupla reasons, folding rear seats, price, size, and, being 20, the TSX just seemed more me, maybe someday I could move up to a TL. I do envy that Bluetooth though!!!!

On a related note, and to inadvertently hijack the thread, is there a good bluetooth kit for the TSX?

Thanks,

Steven
Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 AM
bleh...

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Good write up !
Old 12-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by a_TSX_4_Me
I too, like nearly everyone (right?) cross-shopped the TSX and the TL. Your write-up is top notch! I chose the TSX for a coupla reasons, folding rear seats, price, size, and, being 20, the TSX just seemed more me, maybe someday I could move up to a TL. I do envy that Bluetooth though!!!!

On a related note, and to inadvertently hijack the thread, is there a good bluetooth kit for the TSX?

Thanks,

Steven
Ahh yes, the rear folding seats really need to be in the TL as well. I surely miss them.

The bluetooth kit - yes. The best one I have used is the Parrot CK3100. But, the problem is, they designed it to be used with german cars, so to use it in the TSX you have to use an external speaker, and you would have to mute the radio yourself. I still like it a lot.

I have my setup from my TSX which I am trying to sell. I already modified it to use the external speaker (which I would give also) PM me if you are interested.

If you want a brand new one and want to mod it yourself for an external speaker you can get it at www.expansys-usa.com

That BT kit includes a display (for caller ID and such), if you do not want a display, sony-ericcson's bluetooth kit is excellent.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Nice comparison! If I hit it big in Atlantic City next month a trade-up may be in order!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Advanced

I was also looking at the TL vs. TSX before I chose the TSX. My take is this:

The TL is obviously a more luxurious car but also feels like a BIG car @ 300lbs heavier. At that price bracket, i'd probably lean towards a G35 because of the ride eventhough the interior has much to be desired. The TL is FWD because it is based on the U.S. Accord platform thus Honda can keep costs down as opposed to reengineering a new RWD platform.

One must realize that a type of car must be purchased in context. The TL is geared more towards married folks over 35yrs old. Did anyone see what kind of buyers were looking at the TL vs. TSX at the dealerships? For ppl in their early 30s to mid-late 20s the TSX fits that demographic. As you all know, the RSX caters primarily to the "rice-rocket" generation. I think the TSX provides the best comproimse between the TL and RSX. Oddly enough, Acura's demographic for the TSX was up-and coming males in their 30s earning 80k + a year.

I thought it would be odd as a single guy buying a TL and driving it around work and at my apt. In the end, it was the image rather than the price that steered me to the TSX vs. the TL. The money saved is good too!

Well, that's my

Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Vik...glad you've got your headliner fixed...
Old 12-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Advanced

I find it amazing that Honda has these quality issues with the TL and TSX. The rattles and headliner falling down? I know someone who just bought a top of the line Pilot and the entire headliner fell down. As a Honda loyalist I find it troubling but perhaps its just the internet that makes us all aware of this stuff. As it is, I am really bothered with the various TSX issues. Convincing myself (and my wife who loves Nissans) to buy another Honda product (CRV or RDX?) to replace her Accord down the road is going to be interesting. I wonder if there are issues like this with the RL, which I have sat in and believe to be one of the finest vehicles on the road today for the price....
Old 12-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
I find it amazing that Honda has these quality issues with the TL and TSX. The rattles and headliner falling down? I know someone who just bought a top of the line Pilot and the entire headliner fell down. As a Honda loyalist I find it troubling but perhaps its just the internet that makes us all aware of this stuff. As it is, I am really bothered with the various TSX issues. Convincing myself (and my wife who loves Nissans) to buy another Honda product (CRV or RDX?) to replace her Accord down the road is going to be interesting. I wonder if there are issues like this with the RL, which I have sat in and believe to be one of the finest vehicles on the road today for the price....

It is sad, but the TSX problems - there are only a couple minor ones. Infact, I had one rattle in my TSX (which I owned for a year) and the dealer had fixed it. No other problems - except ones that I caused (aftermarket parts)

The TL is terrible with problems, but I am hopefuly it is going to be ok.

The RL will of course have its share of problems, especially seeing as how it is the first year model. But, I think Acura will jump on fixing any problems in its flagship model.

I am a Nissan hater - ask TSX R US about it... damn Infiniti leaking sunroofs and other problems. Aside from my problems with Nissan/Infiniti, I was reading the other day that the nissan minivan has a glass roof option (not sunroof) that has been imploding onto the passangers (mainly little kids sitting in the back). Now, I would MUCH rather have a loose headliner and rattles opposed to glass flying and hitting myself or people in my car.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
It is sad, but the TSX problems - there are only a couple minor ones. Infact, I had one rattle in my TSX (which I owned for a year) and the dealer had fixed it. No other problems - except ones that I caused (aftermarket parts)

The TL is terrible with problems, but I am hopefuly it is going to be ok.

The RL will of course have its share of problems, especially seeing as how it is the first year model. But, I think Acura will jump on fixing any problems in its flagship model.

I am a Nissan hater - ask TSX R US about it... damn Infiniti leaking sunroofs and other problems. Aside from my problems with Nissan/Infiniti, I was reading the other day that the nissan minivan has a glass roof option (not sunroof) that has been imploding onto the passangers (mainly little kids sitting in the back). Now, I would MUCH rather have a loose headliner and rattles opposed to glass flying and hitting myself or people in my car.

I agree with you 100% in terms of Nissan. The new Maxima is ugly (it too has that glass roof option) and I just am not a fan. I like to keep my cars a long time (had the Civic 12 years) and the rattles and stuff with the TSX never came up with that car. My wife's Accord had the infamous auto tranny problem but they gave me a new tranny with the extended warranty. This at least show the firm's willingness to stand behind its products. I guess I just hold Honda to higher standard and this kind of stuff (rattles etc.) probably bothers me more than some. Plus, the service I receive at my dealer is average at best, especially when compared to Lexus. As is it is, I am still a huge Honda fan....but I expected a more issue free (even if they are relatively minor) car when I bought my TSX in April.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Foolish Pleasure
I agree with you 100% in terms of Nissan. The new Maxima is ugly (it too has that glass roof option) and I just am not a fan. I like to keep my cars a long time (had the Civic 12 years) and the rattles and stuff with the TSX never came up with that car. My wife's Accord had the infamous auto tranny problem but they gave me a new tranny with the extended warranty. This at least show the firm's willingness to stand behind its products. I guess I just hold Honda to higher standard and this kind of stuff (rattles etc.) probably bothers me more than some. Plus, the service I receive at my dealer is average at best, especially when compared to Lexus. As is it is, I am still a huge Honda fan....but I expected a more issue free (even if they are relatively minor) car when I bought my TSX in April.

Yes, I understand how you would be 'picky' about problems with these cars. I am also, but after weighing all the options and prices, I decided to go with the TL. I agree, the service you rcv at a Lexus dealer is far above what we will get at any Honda/Acura dealer; however, they are Lexus. If I was willing to wait a few months and spend an extra ten thousand, I would have bought the 2006 Lexus GS (which has EVERYTHING I wanted in a car, including the "intelligent key" and push button start) but I was not willing to wait, and most deffinately did not want to spend the extra money. I am, however, satisfied with my TL thusfar. The dealer that ruined my TSX treats me like a king, almost like the lexus dealer, without somebody sitting waiting to spoon feed me! lol
Old 12-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Not an Ashtray

I have 20,000 on my TSX and it has been reasonably trouble free. I had a few minor annoyances, the most serious of which was the infamous lights going dim in the center of the dash. I also had that speaker buzz that many have complained about, as well as the sliding seat. All these problems were quickly addressed by the dealer, and I'm OK with the end result. I feel confident that this car will be extremely reliable over the long haul.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by darth62
I have 20,000 on my TSX and it has been reasonably trouble free. I had a few minor annoyances, the most serious of which was the infamous lights going dim in the center of the dash. I also had that speaker buzz that many have complained about, as well as the sliding seat. All these problems were quickly addressed by the dealer, and I'm OK with the end result. I feel confident that this car will be extremely reliable over the long haul.
Well, the question with the rattles is do they come back after dealer repair? The dealer fixed a rattle once by the left door, which has come back. If they can permanently silence the rattles, then I’m ok with that, but if not
Old 12-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by wsklar
Well, the question with the rattles is do they come back after dealer repair? The dealer fixed a rattle once by the left door, which has come back. If they can permanently silence the rattles, then I’m ok with that, but if not
I've also found that most rattles can be solved by just keeping the gaskets around the doors and sunroofs clean and slick (by using a good vinyl protectant on them).
Old 12-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Instructor

The only problem I've had with my TSX is the passenger side rear wheel bearing going out. I've been extremely happy with my car. No rattles, no problems at all. Absolutely love it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I've just recently picked up the annoying windshield creak (it's been very cold this week) but, other than that, have had no problems at all.....
Old 12-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

You know, if it wernt for the internet we probably would never think twice about these little problems. I never did until I joined the boards! lol. But, still, it is great to have the forums to know what to look out for and what to get fixed!
Old 12-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Advanced

mafin ssj eric: My car is in the shop for the windshield creak right now. The service consultant (or some other highfalutin term used by the dealer ;-) ) said that it is fairly common in the 2004 TSX to have a bad seal on the front windshield, and it was being replaced immediately! I think this is good, seeing that even Acura realizes that this is a common problem.

~ Steve
Old 12-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Go Giants

mafin ssj eric: My car is in the shop for the windshield creak right now. The service consultant (or some other highfalutin term used by the dealer ;-) ) said that it is fairly common in the 2004 TSX to have a bad seal on the front windshield, and it was being replaced immediately! I think this is good, seeing that even Acura realizes that this is a common problem.

~ Steve
Mine is there right now. I am the first person at my dealership getting the fix done for the creak.....

By the way, they moved the TSX out of the showroom at my dealer because of space . Also, I sat in a RL, sweet!!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Instructor

One disadvantage with the TL is that I see about 4-5 everyday around my city. Not a function disadvantage but still.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

~ Steve
Thanks for the info. How long does the repair take? Did you get a loaner car?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

i will always take a good handling car over a good fast car.

the TL is good, but i'll wait to honda adds sh-awd
Old 12-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mg7726
i will always take a good handling car over a good fast car.

the TL is good, but i'll wait to honda adds sh-awd
!!!!

Great write up...
What the TSX lacks in straight-line performance makes up for it in the curves...
No FWD car currently sold can put a smile on my face like the TSX can around the twisties.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Advanced

majin: The repair has taken 2 full days, and I'll probably get the car back tomorrow around noon. They had to rush a part (The seal i'm sure), and they said it might be ready tonite, but no dice :-(

They did give me a loaner, its an 05 RSX (Woohoo), I've written about it in another thread that I've started, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Bottom line, its peppy, and the seat is really uncomfortable (that's just me, and I'm not a big guy, 5'8", 140lbs.)

~ Steven
Old 12-28-2004, 06:58 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by jojo77
One disadvantage with the TL is that I see about 4-5 everyday around my city. Not a function disadvantage but still.
Same here....Pittsburgh is TL city, and you can't get a good deal on one as a result. Only seen a few TSX's.

As for the G35, if you live in a winter weather climate, you may want to pay extra for the four wheel drive version. A friend at work has a RWD G35, and although loves it, says that it has very poor handling in the wintertime, even with good tires.

I would also add that, if you look up just about any car on Edmunds (or whatever site you use) and look at reviewer comments, you will find plenty of problems over at Lexus (or any other make). For example, the ES has been plagued by tranny problems. My own personal op is that anytime you add more features to a car (power doors, NAV systems, heated seats, real time AWD, etc.), the higher the liklihood of something going wrong. Honda originally built their rep on rather simple cars with few "bells and whistles", and thus less could go wrong. That has changed, and I think the slipping in reliability has to do more with Honda starting to put more gizmo's into their cars than anything else.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:03 PM
HOWARD911S

TSX vs CL-S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

recently saw a TL vs TSX post.thought i might put in my own experience..
i have had Integra. 2.2 CL. 3.0 CL. and most recently. a 2001 3.2CL type S. .currently with 04 TSX.
differenes? CL-S has much more power. and is especially fast toward high end. but around city driving and off the line...TSX is much more agile and get off the line faster during city driving. Gotta give straight line acceleration to CL type S no doubt. However....during cornering and that sunday drive on the twisty country road.. or just cruising... TSX is wayyyyyyy more agile and handle much much better..
Quality? TSX is the hands down winner compare to CL-S. I love the BMW/AUDI like XENON light on TSX...the interior lighting... that aluminum color dash. fit and finish on the TSX far surpass those dull and plasticky feeling CL-S gave.

Sound system? CL-S 's hundred watt BOse audio is clean and nice...but comes with that dull base..and much less base than the 360watts TSX. TSX wins again!

Gas price aint even a discussion here.. i have a lead foot...i constantly get 16-18 MPG on CL-S. whereas i get 21-23 on TSX... used to have to gas up the CL every 5 days.. TSX give me solid 2 more days of driving time...gas saving will pay off eventually!

TSX just gives that feeling you are wrapped around just right. not big. not small.. just like a designer suit that wraps around you. giveyou a secure feeling and come on... it just look sbetter. that wheelbase with the wheels position toward outer 4 corner of the car...there has been more than once where i pull into a car shop. or other places where people mistaken me as bimmer 3 series at a glance....not to bash TSX...but bimmer does look nice (with a considerable jump in price tag)

CL is big. comfy...but for los angeles traffic.. especially i work in downtown..TSX is

VERDICT! TSX WINS BY OVERWHELMING MARGIN! its still kinda early when i post this...hope this helps.......by the way.. did i fail to mention the TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! freaknig transmission failure from my CL-S? its a freaking scary experience in fast traffic and your car just cease to move.....

hope this posting is useful to anyone that finds it to be
Old 04-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, I understand how you would be 'picky' about problems with these cars. I am also, but after weighing all the options and prices, I decided to go with the TL. I agree, the service you rcv at a Lexus dealer is far above what we will get at any Honda/Acura dealer; however, they are Lexus. If I was willing to wait a few months and spend an extra ten thousand, I would have bought the 2006 Lexus GS (which has EVERYTHING I wanted in a car, including the "intelligent key" and push button start) but I was not willing to wait, and most deffinately did not want to spend the extra money. I am, however, satisfied with my TL thusfar. The dealer that ruined my TSX treats me like a king, almost like the lexus dealer, without somebody sitting waiting to spoon feed me! lol
I am curious, how did the dealer mess up your car so bad that they had to buy it back?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:32 AM
You Shoulda TAPPED!!!

You know, if it wernt for the internet we probably would never think twice about these little problems. I never did until I joined the boards! lol. But, still, it is great to have the forums to know what to look out for and what to get fixed!
Have to agree with that...
Old 05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I know I'm replying to an ancient post, but I just wanted to say that niggles (ie: poor quality control like headliners drooping and stuff) does NOT equal poor reliability. Poor reliability is when things break, like the brakes warping and not working, the transmission blowing, engine burning oil, coolant system buggering up...those kind of things. In that sense, Honda/Acura reliability has only gone down a bit with the second generation CL/TL and the V6 Accord (tranny issues). So I conclude that quality control is more difficult, but reliability is top notch.

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Same here....Pittsburgh is TL city, and you can't get a good deal on one as a result. Only seen a few TSX's.

As for the G35, if you live in a winter weather climate, you may want to pay extra for the four wheel drive version. A friend at work has a RWD G35, and although loves it, says that it has very poor handling in the wintertime, even with good tires.

I would also add that, if you look up just about any car on Edmunds (or whatever site you use) and look at reviewer comments, you will find plenty of problems over at Lexus (or any other make). For example, the ES has been plagued by tranny problems. My own personal op is that anytime you add more features to a car (power doors, NAV systems, heated seats, real time AWD, etc.), the higher the liklihood of something going wrong. Honda originally built their rep on rather simple cars with few "bells and whistles", and thus less could go wrong. That has changed, and I think the slipping in reliability has to do more with Honda starting to put more gizmo's into their cars than anything else.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
Well, I have had my TL for about three weeks now. I had my 2004 TSX for about a year before the dealer ruined it and bought it back, so I think it is time I give some perspective on the differences between the two cars.

I am not sure if anybody has written something like this before, so I am going to do my best to shed some light – although this will not be a long review.
Interesting to note two years after your post ... that, based on my 2006 TSX I bought 3 weeks ago, most if not all the things you mentioned on the TL that were not on the 2004(?) TSX ... are on the TSX now. Incl. the Bluetooth phone integration, which is SO nice.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

good write up, would read again
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Upgraded my TSX

I had a 5speed AT TSX 06 with Navi. Great car, 8000 miles logged but just not enough hmphhh.
I had just got the tsx in March 2007 and I just traded it back for a 2008 TL with Navi.

No comparison with regard to power and torque. AC vents in back., Bigger engine, enhanced center electronics console. Namely the ac is now un attached to the electronics system. Makes for better control on thermostat. Instrument panel is split in 3.

Much happier with the new toy.

Anyone else needs comparison details just let me know.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
the last time I had my 06 at the dealer for service I had a 2008 silver tl as a loaner car. I was able to keep it overnight-put 500 miles on it. Made me appreciate my 6spd tsx even more than I do. was not overly impressed with the tl. dislikes: automatic transmission,where the trunk opener is located (glove box) tl key fob (kept it open). it is nice they have a/c vents in the back but there is seldon anyone uses our back seat. I did not like when you put the car in drive or reverse the doors locked. (rather do it myself) I think I will keep my tsx.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Well I own both of them...

I have a 2005 TL 5AT NON-NAVI and a 2008 TSX 5AT NON-NAVI.

The winner...THE TSX!

It's a fun car to drive. It handles better than the '05 TL. It has firmer suspension with less body roll.

The ability to open the trunk on the TSX from outside the trunk with the button is great. The TL you have to use the keyfob or the button in the dash.

The mirror adjustment knob on the TSX is better placed than on the TL. I hate the TL's mirror adjustment set-up. Who cares if the stuff is on memory. I still have to adjust it when a truck is behind me at night.

Both have bluetooth.

The TSX has a better sound system than the TL. I'm sorry but the TL's sound system sucks and if you turn up the base to 6 everything rattles in the back. The TSX sounds so good for a stock radio.

Both are 6-DISC CD. The TL's ELS is cool...but other than the Metallica DVD-A, what good is it? Both have XM radio.

I enjoy driving the TSX (as much as our old RSX). The TL's manual shifter is lame. Put it into 1st gear and it upshifts automatically into 2nd. It doesn't respond to what you want to do and the delay is terrible.

The TSX acts just like the RSX and does whatever you want it to do. Put it into 1st gear and she'll run up on the rev limiter.

The TSX just wins!

A-Train
Old 12-28-2007, 01:39 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an 2004 TSX for a few months before it was totaled. It didn't have the bluetooth HFL, heated/reverse tilt mirrors, memory seats, and power passenger seats.

The 2005 TL I picked up 2 months ago has all those features that I really appreciate. However, I wish the TL had some things that the TSX had. The folding rear seats and the outside trunk release button were very useful and convenient. Both TSX and TL are A/T. I liked the sportshift on the TSX better because I find it more responsive and not to mention the strong k24. With Hondata, it added more excitement to the drive.

Both are nice cars. If the TSX wasn't totaled I would still be driving it and not regret buying it.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:43 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I did not like when you put the car in drive or reverse the doors locked. (rather do it myself) I think I will keep my tsx.
you can program it to unlock/lock the way you want.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by HONgDA
you can program it to unlock/lock the way you want.
the tl was a loaner but thanks for letting me know that.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Non-Acura Owner

I have a Mustang GT which is faster than my brother's TL and my TSX (by a long shot), and I still usually find myself in my TSX because it handles so well. I still wish I had waited and bought a TL instead though, I love that car
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
In 2006, I was looking at both the TL and TSX. I wound up buying the TL for the following reasons:

- the extra power with minimal MPG hit. I average about 21 in town and 28-30 on the highway driving semi-aggressively
- I like the controls or features more: sunroof buttons in ceiling instead of dash board, vents for back passengers, dampers for hood instead of prop, auto-locking/unlocking doors, nicer
storage in front doors and rear of front seats, etc.
- I like the center console a little more. For example, I can rest my cell phone and have a cup of coffee in my cup holder at the same time by rolling the console half way
- I liked the stock 06 TL wheels better than the TSX wheels (I probably would have upgraded to the a-spec version of wheels if I bought the TSX)
- I like the quiet/smooth highway cruising. I can cruise easily at 80 with little wind noise and tacking at 2000. For many people the highway is where they spend 80% of their time. I bought a comptech rear sway bar for other times where I wanted tighter handling- seems to work pretty well.
- the DVD audio is very nice. I have burned DVDs to contain up to 10 CDs and they sound great. This is not a replacement for an IPOD, but the feature works pretty well.

I also like the TSX too, but I was a little concerned about the power issue mostly. The features I miss regarding the TSX are:

- instant MPG on MID - I have the NAVI hack that seems to do a reasonable job mitigating this feature.
- auxilliary audio input- need to spend about $100 to add an auxilliary input
- fold down seat - there has been one case where I could have used this feature the last 18 months I have owned the TL. I have made use of the port hole a couple of times when my kids occupied the back seat as well so I call this a wash.

The TSX's look very nice in my opinion so it was a tough decision for me. I think anyone can buy either car and be pretty happy with it. I previously owned a V6 Maxima so I had a few issues regarding the power/torque change mostly.

Quick Reply: TSX vs TL