TSX vs Mazdaspeed 6 Turbo AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The only Mazda that sells close to msrp is the Mazda3.

For the real world price of a Mazda they are a very very good value. Everyone likes to talk about the low rent interior compared to Acura and higher end brands but you are paying less anyway.

If you have time go to Mazda6club.com if you want to hear people love and hate Mazda. Good members there, they dont sugarcoat much about their cars, they are pretty honest about the likes and dislikes of the 6. And their is a forum section with tons of info and feedback about the speed6.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha...this thread reminds me of me when I had my IS300. I was like "hey, I'm driving a Lexus." At the end of the day though, its a Toyota. Just like the Acura is a Honda. I'd feel much better about having value for my money, even though that's next to impossible car shopping. All cars have their good points and bad points, but I realized caring about car badges is just stupid. As is worrying about what women think. People were actually intimidated by me driving a Lexus. 9 times out of 10, I had the more "prestigeous" vehicle out there because of the name, but by no means the most expensive, so how do you really rate it?

I was tired of having a $30K vehicle that could gets slaughtered by a Honda Civic with a few mods, or stock with the new Civic. F the women, get money. If you have a slight pulse and personality, you can get women without a car. But hey, girls tell me I'm good looking anyways, (I don't know why) so maybe I don't need to car to boost my status with them. You really want to impress a woman. Buy a nice house. I don't mean rent either. Purchase. That's when you are there. The car means nothing.

All the entry level sports sedans seriously lack in the luxury department compared to their bigger brothers, and aren't much of an upgrade over the mspeed 6. In fact, the 6 has more options than my IS. That probably has more to do with it being 3 years newer, but still. Oh and if you can't get a mazdaspeed 6 under $30k, you aren't looking in the right place. What's all this $35K talk? This isn't a 3-series. Or is that $35K in Canadian dollars?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Holy crap. You just created an account to write that?

And on a 2-months-dead thread to boot.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that,
Old 04-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Hate
Ha...this thread reminds me of me when I had my IS300. I was like "hey, I'm driving a Lexus." At the end of the day though, its a Toyota. Just like the Acura is a Honda. I'd feel much better about having value for my money, even though that's next to impossible car shopping. All cars have their good points and bad points, but I realized caring about car badges is just stupid. As is worrying about what women think. People were actually intimidated by me driving a Lexus. 9 times out of 10, I had the more "prestigeous" vehicle out there because of the name, but by no means the most expensive, so how do you really rate it?

I was tired of having a $30K vehicle that could gets slaughtered by a Honda Civic with a few mods, or stock with the new Civic. F the women, get money. If you have a slight pulse and personality, you can get women without a car. But hey, girls tell me I'm good looking anyways, (I don't know why) so maybe I don't need to car to boost my status with them. You really want to impress a woman. Buy a nice house. I don't mean rent either. Purchase. That's when you are there. The car means nothing.

All the entry level sports sedans seriously lack in the luxury department compared to their bigger brothers, and aren't much of an upgrade over the mspeed 6. In fact, the 6 has more options than my IS. That probably has more to do with it being 3 years newer, but still. Oh and if you can't get a mazdaspeed 6 under $30k, you aren't looking in the right place. What's all this $35K talk? This isn't a 3-series. Or is that $35K in Canadian dollars?
Wow, your second paragraph goes just a bit beyond the realm of this discussion and reveals a bit about the assumptions you make about people owning a TSX, Lexus, or any other Japanese entry lux vehicle. If you are as mature as you believe you are on the topics of women, the housing market, etc, why do you care for racing civics? Why are you arguing for a vehicle that has a higher rate of depreciation? Sure the TSX isn't faultless, but something just doesn't fit with the logic for buying a Mazdaspeed 6. It doesn't seem to jibe with your other "advice."

On the topic, the Mazdaspeed6 only represents value to those who want it. I would never consider it, and would consider an Evo, WRX, etc, to address your concerns about racing Civics before MS6 merited even a glance from me.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Racer

eh... if gonna pay that much for a "mazda"... i think someone else mentioned it..its just much wiser to get the Subaru WRX STi ...same price... a lot more performance =]
Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Wow, your second paragraph goes just a bit beyond the realm of this discussion and reveals a bit about the assumptions you make about people owning a TSX, Lexus, or any other Japanese entry lux vehicle. If you are as mature as you believe you are on the topics of women, the housing market, etc, why do you care for racing civics? Why are you arguing for a vehicle that has a higher rate of depreciation? Sure the TSX isn't faultless, but something just doesn't fit with the logic for buying a Mazdaspeed 6. It doesn't seem to jibe with your other "advice."

On the topic, the Mazdaspeed6 only represents value to those who want it. I would never consider it, and would consider an Evo, WRX, etc, to address your concerns about racing Civics before MS6 merited even a glance from me.
I'm not making those assumptions. Those things are actually said in this thread by people as justification for buying an Acura, BMW, Lexus, etc. (More than once even) Remember, I'm a former IS300 owner, so I would be saying those same things about myself. I never said I wanted to race a Civic. I only pointed out the fact that with a few mods it could out run those cars stock. For the extra price, there should be more power in these cars. Thats all. Maturity has nothing to do with it. I don't care if you are 20, 40 or 60. Driving fast is still fun. Having power under the hood is still fun. Life should be fun, not stuffy and boring.

I wouldn't argue depreciation rate at all. In fact, it's not really a consideration when I buy a car for the simple fact that cars depreciate too fast. The only reason I would look at it, is if I planned on buying a new car every 3-5 years which I have found out is a waste of money. Why I would pick a MS6 over an Evo, and WRX? Easy. They are both ugly. I hope that clears everything up.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The speed6 for under 30k has cloth seats and is missing a few other options. And to update Dan's list, it didnt fair well against other AWD cars in Road&Track either. A4, BMw325ix, Legacy 2.5gt, And I believe IS250 all ranked higher. To get a 6 fully loaded you will aproach 35k, and since they are a limited run, no discounts. All tests shoe that the car is a bit rough around the edges and has a cheap interior for the money. If you are not concerned about those issues, then money would be better spent on an Evo or STI.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JTC05
The speed6 for under 30k has cloth seats and is missing a few other options. And to update Dan's list, it didnt fair well against other AWD cars in Road&Track either. A4, BMw325ix, Legacy 2.5gt, And I believe IS250 all ranked higher. To get a 6 fully loaded you will aproach 35k, and since they are a limited run, no discounts. All tests shoe that the car is a bit rough around the edges and has a cheap interior for the money. If you are not concerned about those issues, then money would be better spent on an Evo or STI.
It's AWD system definately leaves a lot to be desired. Especially compared to the cars above, but it's their first run at it. It's also cheaper than 2 out of the 3. I've driven them all short of the STI and inside out, it is on par with a Legacy in my book. It doesn't look better inside than an A4 or 325ix, but it has 60+HP on both of them, and looks better on the exterior IMHO. I don't like the AWD in the Evo, which is similar. Fully loaded I was quoted 31.3K....and that was for a white one with white on black interior that someone custom ordered and didn't pick up. The dealer raved about it, but personally I thought it looked tacky. Maybe that's why the price was that low.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hate
It's AWD system definately leaves a lot to be desired. Especially compared to the cars above, but it's their first run at it. It's also cheaper than 2 out of the 3. I've driven them all short of the STI and inside out, it is on par with a Legacy in my book. It doesn't look better inside than an A4 or 325ix, but it has 60+HP on both of them, and looks better on the exterior IMHO. I don't like the AWD in the Evo, which is similar. Fully loaded I was quoted 31.3K....and that was for a white one with white on black interior that someone custom ordered and didn't pick up. The dealer raved about it, but personally I thought it looked tacky. Maybe that's why the price was that low.
That interior has been shown in alot of mags and I think Mazda is proud of it. I like the look of the 6 also even though it got bad reviews for its front fascia. I think it looks better. The standard one looks too pointy. I think the A4 looks better and you can order one for under 35k nicely equipped. If you check every box it will rise to 40+ though. But the A4 is easily tunable. APR can reflash the ecu for $599. The result is 241hp and 292lb.ft. torque. Torque peaks below 3000rpm and stays strong all the way to 5000+ rpms. Would probably run right with the Subie and the Speed6 with alot nicer ride.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I don't know about you guys/gals, but I'm sick and tired of all the threads that start with
TSX vs. .........

Next thing you know it will TSX vs. Kia Rio...........

Mazda's are crap other than the Rx-8.
How are Mazda's crap? Just wondering because I thought most Japenese car makers were pretty well made. I also do know that Ford owns Mazda so would that have anything as to why you think Mazda is crap? My dad still owns his 1995 Mazda Protege and works perfectly. I guess it depends on how well you maintain it because my dad has taken car of that car. Not saying that you dont either. But that Mazda is still in really good condition and I dont considier it crap. Except its sluggish.

Would a Mazda3 be considered crapped too, just wondering because my cousin is interested in one?

...i just realized this was a while ago..damn late reply.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Race Director

Yes it is 16 yr old noob!!

And yes Mazda 3 is a piece of crap cause it's really only a Ford Focus!
Old 04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Instructor

My buddy that works as a mechanic/bodyshop says that he's seen a lot of Mazdas in and their quality are quite poor despite their appealing design. I personally haven't experience Mazda myself. And yes, it is owned by Ford, so even if they do not have exact same quality, it should be pretty close as they do share some parts. I personally think the Mazda 6 is appealing and the interior "looks" decent, however, quality is not that great once I felt it inside. Just my 2 cents
Old 04-04-2006, 04:53 PM
The Power of a Grill

i think you should go around to the back and look at the so called tailpipes....case closed.

they are all over the place here in san antonio - seems like every dealer got 2.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the last and only good mazda was the rx-7. I am not a fan of the rotor motors they can be a pain to work on.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
"Although the standard Mazda 6 is built in Flat Rock, Michigan, due to its complexity, the Mazdaspeed 6 comes from Hofu, Japan."

are they implying something here? maybe not. perhaps the michigan factory simply does not have the equipment, etc., to build the speed6...

I looked and drove one after the TSX and i loved the way it dorve very sporty and aggressive but didn't have the luxury feel of the tsx. plus its just a ford IMHO.
But in all truth very fun car little more road noise but very fun to drive i jut sthought it would get me in trouble and the TSX i thought mwould be a more reliable car.
but thats coming from Honda cars.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:02 PM
MACura TSX

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
But it's a Mazda.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
But it's a Mazda.
Exactly!!! I, too, was looking at Mazda6 Sport and Speed6 before I decided to go with the 06 TSX. After extensive research and having to test drive both cars twice, I am glad I chose the Acura TSX. Mazda6 is a goodlooking, sporty car, is a lot of fun to drive and definitely has the pickup I am use to (at least the 6 cylinder I test drove), but unless it is a RX7 or RX8 then I'd look at other options. I chose Acura for the reliability, total cost of ownership, estimated residual value after 3-5 yrs and of course the value package I was getting from the TSX. Do some serious research and you will find that the Mazda6 does not have a overall good TCO (reparis & maintenance).

My fiance who drives a RX8 wanted me to first get the Mazda6, but I stuck to my guns and chose what I thought is best for me and I liked the most. Now that I am driving it for 3 weeks, he, too, is glad that I chose the TSX. It is a fun car to drive and not to mention, you get the reliability (no tune needed till you reach $100,000) so peace of mind and defintely a gorgeous looking car!!!!!!

You won't regret it if you go with TSX!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

at the risk of beating a dead horse, mazdas are not far behind honda and toyota as far as reliability and dependability. true, they have had some issues in the past, and continue to do so, but what manufacturer hasn't issued tsbs/recalls on one or more of its own products? check out toyota this summer...wow thats a lot of recalls. pretty much any japanese brand (except for mitsu -- something about covering up the fact your fleet trucks catch on fire doesnt sit well with me) will yield reliability for years to come.

if you have any doubts about the abilities of the speed6, you should register for zoom zoom live. check www.zoomzoomlive.com for an event nearest you. having driven the tsx and speed6, i can say the speed6 is more responsive, has more grip, and handles confidently around a track. though i havent driven the tsx on an autocross style track, it definitely has handling that is pretty spectacular, but it can't hold a candle to the speed6. yes, the AWD isn't full time, but there are plenty of cars on the road with that type of AWD system. but the AWD on the speed6 will assure the back end gets grip and holds the line before driver talent runs out. the interior and level of refinement is where the tsx trumps the speed6. standard features in the price point of the tsx is almost unseen in other manufacturers. the interior build quality is nice and chunky and the plastic feels like it'll last forever. the speed6 is still a mazda6 with some very nice trim details, but overall still has some growing up to do.

i will say, you acura owners have a great network of dealers. my friend got free rotor resurfacing on his rsx, and when his brakes kept on squeeling, they gave him free rotors. how many dealers warranty brakes at 22k miles (let alone past 12k). i assure you no mazda dealer in my area will do the same -- probably not even for a mazdaspeed vehicle.

tsx=teh goodness, speed6=teh win. if i had to choose, it'd be speed6 sport in velocity red or black cherry mica. only 5000 speed6 cars will be produced for 2006-2007 which makes it a pretty rare car indeed. mazda hopes that its exclusivity, near-sleeper look, and insane boost put to the ground by all 4 wheels, will encourage sales, but last i saw the cars are still sitting in lots. oh well, that'll mean good prices for me in a year or so ^_^
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

Next thing you know it will TSX vs. Kia Rio...........

I can't wait for that one!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
the mazdaspeed 6 is so ugly, other than performance, the TSX is better...

if i wanted a AWD turbo car i would take an EVO with leather seats over the Mazdaspeed 6 in a heartbeat...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by 1timeposter
at the risk of beating a dead horse, mazdas are not far behind honda and toyota as far as reliability and dependability. true, they have had some issues in the past, and continue to do so, but what manufacturer hasn't issued tsbs/recalls on one or more of its own products? check out toyota this summer...wow thats a lot of recalls. pretty much any japanese brand (except for mitsu -- something about covering up the fact your fleet trucks catch on fire doesnt sit well with me) will yield reliability for years to come.

if you have any doubts about the abilities of the speed6, you should register for zoom zoom live. check www.zoomzoomlive.com for an event nearest you. having driven the tsx and speed6, i can say the speed6 is more responsive, has more grip, and handles confidently around a track. though i havent driven the tsx on an autocross style track, it definitely has handling that is pretty spectacular, but it can't hold a candle to the speed6. yes, the AWD isn't full time, but there are plenty of cars on the road with that type of AWD system. but the AWD on the speed6 will assure the back end gets grip and holds the line before driver talent runs out. the interior and level of refinement is where the tsx trumps the speed6. standard features in the price point of the tsx is almost unseen in other manufacturers. the interior build quality is nice and chunky and the plastic feels like it'll last forever. the speed6 is still a mazda6 with some very nice trim details, but overall still has some growing up to do.

i will say, you acura owners have a great network of dealers. my friend got free rotor resurfacing on his rsx, and when his brakes kept on squeeling, they gave him free rotors. how many dealers warranty brakes at 22k miles (let alone past 12k). i assure you no mazda dealer in my area will do the same -- probably not even for a mazdaspeed vehicle.

tsx=teh goodness, speed6=teh win. if i had to choose, it'd be speed6 sport in velocity red or black cherry mica. only 5000 speed6 cars will be produced for 2006-2007 which makes it a pretty rare car indeed. mazda hopes that its exclusivity, near-sleeper look, and insane boost put to the ground by all 4 wheels, will encourage sales, but last i saw the cars are still sitting in lots. oh well, that'll mean good prices for me in a year or so ^_^

Which Mazda forum did you troll from?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Torrento.com

Originally Posted by savage
if i wanted a AWD turbo car i would take an EVO with leather seats over the Mazdaspeed 6 in a heartbeat...
Everytime I get in my friend's Evo, I think two things:
1. This car is stupid fast.
2. This car feels like complete crap, inside and out. Noisy, ugly, plastic, poor ergonomics. Oh, and it's a Lancer.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
You sound like a sales rep who is trying to push the Mazda product, but I will indulge your discussion...

I drove the Mazdaspeed6 again at the Zoom-Zoom Live event (drove it before when it first came out and I was considering one to replace my 2004 TSX) and I was reminded of why I didn't get that car in the first place.

1) Even as we were waiting in line, the pro driver was standing there complaining about the heat soak and how he could tell there was a substantial difference in power between his lap in the early morning when the temperature was in the low 70s and when he did his lap at noon when the temps were closer to the mid-80s

2) The clutch is ridiculously grabby. On a race car, I can understand that, but for a street car, there is no real reason to have a clutch pedal that isn't more progressive. The clutches on the LanEVO and the STi are substantially more progressive and they put down just as much, if not more power, than the Mazdaspeed6.

3) I agree that the handling has very high limits, but Mazda's AWD system still has a lot of flaws and needs a substantial amount of sorting. More often that I would have preferred, maneuvers that I had no problem with in a full-time AWD car like the EVO or STi required a totally different style of driving in the Mazda because the AWD system reacts too slowly. It allows too much understeer at corner entry, especially in low speed corners where there isn't much slippage, and doesn't provide nearly enough power to the rear wheels to help rotate the car around the corner.

4) The interior was mediocre. It was decent, and probably liveable, but was definitely nowhere near the level of comfort and amenities as the TSX, though admittedly, it was better than the STi or EVO. Plus, the material quality was about where the standard Mazda 6 is at after the MMC refresh. Not nearly enough to compensate for the already present shortcomings of this car.

So in the end, the car is a good first attempt, but it is clear that the car is not selling well because of the many flaws, particularly the engine's heat soak problem and immediate retarding of timing in response to even 91 octane fuel. There is still lots of sorting that needs to be done and the Mazdaspeed6, especially for the money, can be made into a substantially better car. I feel like Mazda rushed it to market in order to get something in the field to compete, but didn't complete all the necessary polishing work that was needed.

Admittedly, the car has very good acceleration and excellent mechanical grip, but the driving experience is marred by the over-aggressive clutch and the lackadaisical AWD system. Getting the car to take a line is easy, getting the car to hold the chosen line without the front end washing out required still driving the car like a FWD car, which I did not have to do in either the EVO or the STi or even the VW R32 (which blows the Mazda away on interior fit, finish, and materials).

So, that's my take. It's a good car, but Mazda has a lot of work left to do to really make it a true competitor in terms of performance or comfort.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

^ agree 100%, the MazdaSpeed 6 has the strangest clutch I've ever driven, its basically on or off, feels like a switch and not a real clutch

and the AWD system IMO was POS, going around a turn I could feel the rear being unsettled while power was going in and out, it wasn't smooth at all. and car understeered quite a bit on that narrow course, I couldn't tell if I should drive it like a FWD or a AWD, it seemed like it was somewhere in the middle, but never just right
Old 08-22-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

i have now betrayed my username.

as a followup, the AWD system found in most of ford motor company's products is pretty unspectacular compared to a system like audi's or subaru. i never said it was the best, but it does grip when you need it to. there are a bunch of issues with the speed6, ive been lurking the mazda forums a while and learned of ton of problems such as the inefficiency of the TMIC, loss of power when not using 93+ octane fuel, etc. and boy i agree, the clutch didnt quite feel right first time around. there were a number of people stalling coming in and out of the staging area at ZZL, so no arguments there. my friend didn't mind it too much, and i think his base RSX has a much more compliant trans than the speed6.

so in other words, no im not pushing for mazda sales, no i didnt troll from a mazda forum, sorry if that justifies a projectile in the face if i did, im not opposed to acuras at all (heck im jealous whenever my friend gets a free loaner TSX when his RSX is being serviced), just thought i'd offer varying opinion from someone who's a big forum lurker and who really really liked the impression made when taking a spin in the speed6. but apples to apples, i think i'd still pick it over the TSX.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Just dial 1911

Love this last paragraph.

speed6=teh win?? Last I checked, teh speed6 cars are usually in the rearview mirrors of the RT TSX's in WC...
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro

it's like
do you want to drive a ford made Austin Martin

or a German made Lambo
Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jaehshim
it's like
do you want to drive a ford made Austin Martin