TSX vs. GLI by owner of both

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006 | 10:39 PM
Intermediate

TSX vs. GLI by owner of both

Just picked up an automatic 2006 TSX for the wife yesterday, replacing my 2004 manual Mazda RX-8. About 6 months ago I leased a 2006 GLI with DSG, meaning I can do an auto vs. auto comparo. I've been really happy with the GLI, so it's going to be tough to be impressed by the TSX. I'll report back when I have more seat time in the TSX.
Old 05-27-2006 | 11:49 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

k
Old 05-28-2006 | 03:08 AM
Master Graphic Artist

I'd love to try out that DSG...
Old 05-28-2006 | 07:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's not exactly auto vs. auto.

It's DSG vs auto, DSG having a huge advantage.
Torque converters are
Old 05-28-2006 | 07:29 AM
Intermediate

If my wife can drive it, it's an automatic

Seriously, the DSG, while technically a clutchless manual, has fully automatic modes, so someone shopping for an "automatic" wouldn't have to adjust at all to driving the DSG.

BTW, my son has a manual 2006 GLI. I was going to show him how much faster the DSG is , but he just had it chipped. I'll need to do that too.

I can tell you that the TSX has a much better looking interior, better ride quality (due in part to its tires), and at least as many programmable gizmos as the GLI. Much quicker performance in the GLI drivetrain, but not sure about which handles better yet.
Old 05-28-2006 | 10:18 AM
Pro

Not sure what the OEM tires on the GLI are, but the TSX OEMs suck big time for performance (and safety). Put a few miles on 'em and they suck for road noise, too. My advice - dump them asap. I factored in the cost of new tires into my budget when I bought the car and installed Yoko Avid V4s at < 2k miles (want/need all-season).

I mention this because you're "comparing" handling and tires can make quite a difference.
Old 05-28-2006 | 10:29 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by psteng19
It's not exactly auto vs. auto.

It's DSG vs auto, DSG having a huge advantage.
Torque converters are
Originally Posted by warrusty
the DSG, while technically a clutchless manual
No!

The DSG is technically an automatic with a clutch (actually two), not a manual without one.

From M-W:
au·to·mat·ic, adj:
1 c: done or produced as if by machine

man·u·al, adj:
1b: worked or done by hand and not by machine

DSGs are automatic transmissions. They happen to be some of the technically best automatics out there, but that's hardly relevant: there are cars with seven-speed slushboxes and single-clutch automatic transmissions that are faster than any car with a DSG. The defining characteristic of a manual transmission is not performance -- it's that you have to work it yourself.
Old 05-28-2006 | 11:07 AM
Intermediate

The OEM tires on the GLI are Bridgestone RE050 - summer performance, but not very good in their class (not to be confused with RE050A). I had the TSX Michelin tires on my Mazda6 previously and I can verify they aren't very good.
Old 05-28-2006 | 01:53 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^Well summer tires are summer tires. Compared to the TSX's sucky grand touring jobs, you can probably attribute whatever handling edge the GLI does have to the tires. That is, if it has any advantage at all.
Old 05-28-2006 | 02:10 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

The GLI's springs are far stiffer than the TSX's, but when I was test-driving both I didn't feel that there was much of a handling benefit (certainly not enough to compensate for the reduced ride comfort). With a Comptech RSB on the TSX I think they are pretty closely matched. But then I only drove a GLI for about half an hour, a few hours before I drove a TSX for the first time, so maybe someone who actually owns both can make a better comparison.
Old 05-28-2006 | 03:27 PM
Advanced

oHh.. looking forward to this comparo!

i'm seriously thinking about trading my 04 AT TSX in for an 2.0T A3... still wavering between the DSG and manual....
Old 05-28-2006 | 04:56 PM
05 Crew

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
I'd love to try out that DSG...
My advice to you: Go Try it out!!!

It is simply amazing. I had a really fun time with it. Acceleration is great when compared to the TSX. But.. i dont think i would give my TSX up for it. 1 reason is that the TSX simply looks better inside and out. The ride quality is also much better. Plus, i have to have manual..none of this Auto / DSG crap.
Old 05-28-2006 | 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpt
No!

The DSG is technically an automatic with a clutch (actually two), not a manual without one.

From M-W:
au·to·mat·ic, adj:
1 c: done or produced as if by machine

man·u·al, adj:
1b: worked or done by hand and not by machine

DSGs are automatic transmissions. They happen to be some of the technically best automatics out there, but that's hardly relevant: there are cars with seven-speed slushboxes and single-clutch automatic transmissions that are faster than any car with a DSG. The defining characteristic of a manual transmission is not performance -- it's that you have to work it yourself.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here, I guess based on who's defining the terms here.

You're definitions are of the words themselves and are also completely out of context.

We are speaking in car terms here and a manual is synonymous with having a clutch (and until recently, a clutch pedal), while an automatic uses a torque converter.
Again, no one wrote the official book on this but it's widely accepted by many, if not most.

You'll also have to have to define "work" or "work it yourself."
Who's to say that "working" the paddle shifters, or pulling the lever from P to D is not 'manual' work?
So if I'm "shifting" from 1 -> 2 -> D3 -> D4 in an auto transmission, am I all of a sudden driving a "manual"?
Old 05-29-2006 | 10:48 PM
Pro

If any idiot can drive it, it's an auto. Any idiot can drive DSG just like any idiot can put a lever in D and floor it and beat his chest afterwards. Any idiot can "shift" DSG just like any idiot can "shift" any other manumatic.
Old 05-29-2006 | 10:54 PM
Drifting

^

haha...

so much hate against AT's.
Old 05-30-2006 | 01:47 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by psteng19
You're definitions are of the words themselves and are also completely out of context.
Are there definitions for anything other than words? And they are in context: I removed several inapplicable definitions for each word.

We are speaking in car terms here and a manual is synonymous with having a clutch (and until recently, a clutch pedal), while an automatic uses a torque converter.
No, manual is synonymous with having a stick and a pedal, which up until now (and probably well into the future) will mean having a clutch and gearbox. Manual means that shifting gears is not done by a robot. Automatic means that it is. That has not always meant a torque converter -- in fact, the very first automatic transmission on a mass-market car was the multi-clutch setup on the Chrysler M-6 sixty years ago. It sucked pretty hard and was dead in the ATF as soon as GM came out with the Hydra-Matic Drive.

You'll also have to have to define "work" or "work it yourself."
Who's to say that "working" the paddle shifters, or pulling the lever from P to D is not 'manual' work? So if I'm "shifting" from 1 -> 2 -> D3 -> D4 in an auto transmission, am I all of a sudden driving a "manual"?
Did the ability to put the selector in 1 or 2 instead of D make my last automatic a manual? Of course not Having paddles or a "sportshift" mode does not make a manual. Automatic transmissions that don't have any automatic selection logic in them (like Formula 1 cars) are commonly referred to as "semi-automatic" because they make you do one job (gear selection) yourself, and do the other job (actually shifting gears) for you. However, no normal car with the capability to shift automatically doesn't throw in automatic selection logic too (there's no reason not to except in an F1 car where the rules say you can't), making them fully automatic transmissions that happen to obey polite requests.

If it ain't got three pedals, it ain't a manual transmission!
If it can put itself in gear for you, it ain't a manual transmission!
If you can't stall it, blow your engine up by over-revving, or shift so poorly your passengers spill their Big Gulps, it ain't a manual transmission!
Old 06-03-2006 | 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Ok, as per my original posting, I've had a week to compare the 06 TSX to my 06 GLI. I'll exclude the power difference, since I knew going into the purchase that the TSX auto can't compare to the GLI DSG.

The TSX is more comfortable, more luxurious, quieter and much better looking inside.

The handling with the TSX is about 3 levels below that of the GLI. Steering response is worse, leans more in turns, and has little of the road feel that the GLI has. I WILL ASSUME that the crappy Michelins on the TSX are mostly responsible. Can anyone verify that switching rubber makes a big difference, and if so, what tire is recommended that won't totally kill the very pleasant ride qualities?!?

The above criticism of the TSX is only in comparison to the GLI, which excells in the handling department. I'm not saying the TSX handles badly, but in an A B test between the two, it does. Please don't take offense at what I've said. After all, I decided to buy (lease) the TSX so I must like it!
Old 06-03-2006 | 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Ok, as per my original posting, I've had a week to compare the 06 TSX to my 06 GLI. I'll exclude the power difference, since I knew going into the purchase that the TSX auto can't compare to the GLI DSG.

The TSX is more comfortable, more luxurious, quieter and much better looking inside.

The handling with the TSX is about 3 levels below that of the GLI. Steering response is worse, leans more in turns, and has little of the road feel that the GLI has. I WILL ASSUME that the crappy Michelins on the TSX are mostly responsible. Can anyone verify that switching rubber makes a big difference, and if so, what tire is recommended that won't totally kill the very pleasant ride qualities?!?

The above criticism of the TSX is only in comparison to the GLI, which excells in the handling department. I'm not saying the TSX handles badly, but in an A B test between the two, it does. Please don't take offense at what I've said. After all, I decided to buy (lease) the TSX so I must like it!
Can you describe in more detail why you felt the TSX handling falls short of the GLI? And does your GLI have 17 or 18 inch wheels and tires?
Old 06-03-2006 | 01:08 PM
Intermediate

The GLI has 17 inch wheels (standard) with 225/45/17 Bridgestone RE050 summer tires (not very good in their class - I had BF Goodrich KDW2's on my RX-8 which were awesome, but extremely noisy).

As stated, the road feel is lacking in the TSX compared to the GLI, tracking is less precise, and I just get the feel of driving a good handling luxury car, rather than a SPORTS SEDAN. I had the same TSX Michelins on my Mazda6, and I immediately switched to Bridgestone 750's which make a big improvement in the feel in that car.

I live in Florida, so I can go with summer tires all year round. Recommend a tire for me. I don't want to change the wheels at this time, since I plan on doing mods to the GLI first.
Old 06-03-2006 | 01:17 PM
Team Owner

The GLI has 17 inch wheels (standard) with 225/45/17 Bridgestone RE050 summer tires (not very good in their class - I had BF Goodrich KDW2's on my RX-8 which were awesome, but extremely noisy).

As stated, the road feel is lacking in the TSX compared to the GLI, tracking is less precise, and I just get the feel of driving a good handling luxury car, rather than a SPORTS SEDAN. I had the same TSX Michelins on my Mazda6, and I immediately switched to Bridgestone 750's which make a big improvement in the feel in that car.

I live in Florida, so I can go with summer tires all year round. Recommend a tire for me. I don't want to change the wheels at this time, since I plan on doing mods to the GLI first.
Hmm...sounds like they may have upped the handling compared with the last GLI, which I beat on pretty severely during a test drive, but left me underwhelmed. I will have to find a chance to drive this new one and judge for myself.

As for the tires, the Avon M500 seems to be a highly recommended tire here. I have the same noise problem with BFGoodrich tires that I am running now so if they wear out before I decide to get another car, I may switch to the Avons, myself.
Old 06-03-2006 | 01:20 PM
Intermediate

The new GLI is a completely different car - engine, DSG, chassis, suspension, body
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:49 PM
Instructor

Just picked up an automatic 2006 TSX for the wife yesterday, replacing my 2004 manual Mazda RX-8. About 6 months ago I leased a 2006 GLI with DSG, meaning I can do an auto vs. auto comparo. I've been really happy with the GLI, so it's going to be tough to be impressed by the TSX. I'll report back when I have more seat time in the TSX.
Got any pics of the GLI? I am anxious to see.
Old 06-05-2006 | 08:15 AM
Instructor

REO50A is optional on GLI w/ 18" wheels. The GLI pretty much beat up the TSX in all performance catagories. It does fall short in the luxury end though Car and Driver pitted them against eachother. The TSX was said to dtill be the classiest of the bunch but definitely needed more power to keep up with today's offerings. Even the Accord beat it out on most performance areas. Which is no suprise since the TSX is really just an Accord. If Acura decides to address the power issue then the TSX should eventually fair a little better.