TSX vs Civic SI Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX vs Civic SI Sedan

What is Honda Corp up to? Recent news reports say that the Acura RSX will be discontinued after the '06 model run. Speculation is that there is too much product line overlap (or whatever) with the new 197 hp Civic SI coupe which sells for 21,500 and AUTOWEEK says will do 0-60 in 6.53 and ROAD & TRACK says 6.6. An automotive editor in a recent Chicago Tribune on-line review of this new Civic Coupe states that the '06 Civic Sedan will get the SI treatment as well, for the first time this fall. He states that the sedan will have the same 197 hp engine that
the coupe has and 18 inch wheels and who knows what else - but it's not much of a stretch to assume that this proposed Civic Sedan SI (which in it's present form weighs almost 200 lbs LESS than the coupe) will blow the doors off of the TSX I want to buy - and yours too. I guess I'll wait for the '07, or more info. If this Chicago Trib guy knows what he is talking about the TSX better get 20 more HP soon. What have you heard/read?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:12 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldn't go as far as to say the tsx will get its doors blown off but more like it'll put up a good fight
Old 05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Instructor

TSX vs Civic.

do the math.

I got a 6MT NAV Accord and I must say, I was pretty close to gettin a 6MT NAV TSX tho i wanted to keep up w/ my buddies. I must say, Accords are as close to a TSX as can get, and ya'lls cars are nicer than mine. Civic is a whole step down from what I got. Gettin a Civic, is like way downgrading. Ya'll should be laughin at those editors, not being worried.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I replaced my Civic with a TSX because I wanted more room and more luxury. A Civic Si Sedan wouldn't have given me either of those things! If you're all worried about 0-60 times, then the TSX is not for you.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
10th Gear

When I put down on paper what I was looking for..

1) Top notch reliability
2) 4 Doors
3) Some sportiness
4) Not full-sized

there really wasn't a single car in that genre. Other manufactures make fun smaller sedans, but Honda, Toyota, etc. basically give you a choice of full sized, boring or coupe.

The TSX was pretty darn close to what I wanted, and I'm happy with it. But if there were a SI Civic Sedan, I'd have looked very closely and probably bought it.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

what sounds better when people ask you what you drive???

Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now if the civic came with leather heated seats, better stereo, better dash, much better looks, and was made in japan then we'd have some competition
Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Everyday Joe

Civic Si will not be in the same league as the TSX- I doubt it'll have leather and other luxury touches. It'll probably be a bit faster but lets be honest- if we all went with speed, we'd never have gotten the TSX to begin with.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Racer

OT but the Civic SI wheels looks really good on a TSX
Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ck123
I think most people don't care. But for those who do care, it's probably split 50/50.

For everybody out there who hears Acura and thinks, "Wow, nice car," there's somebody else thinking "Wow, what a pretentious wanker who thought he could impress people by paying too much for a car."
Old 05-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
at OP

Some people are really clueless, aren't they?

Just sit down for 2 seconds and review the equipment list of the Civic and compare it to the TSX. Now, consider that the Civic Si sedan will have a base price about $500 more than the Civic Si coupe, putting it around $22500. The TSX without navi can be had for about $27000. That's a price difference of $4500. For that, you get seat heaters, HIDS, leather seats, better stereo, more interior room, bluetooth integration, MID, maintenance minder, automatic A/C, and the list goes on and on...

So, before you post another assinine post comparing the TSX and a Civic, do your homework.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Instructor

If they offered the CSX with the SI engine, that would would be really cool. Luxury, economy and speed all in one....
Old 05-23-2006, 07:23 PM
my acura sanctuary

Originally Posted by frankiej
. TSX vs Civic SI Sedan....What have you heard/read?
FrankieJ...you might want to expand your comparison table to more than two columns:Wheel size and HP.
The two cars are in different classes. Completely different classes. Get your butt down to a honda and acura dealer, put on a nice button down shirt and test drive them. Then get back to us.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 PM
The Master Doctor

Originally Posted by DaveWhyman
If they offered the CSX with the SI engine, that would would be really cool. Luxury, economy and speed all in one....
has anyone heard of a RSX type s; 201 hp + luxury; I guess no too popular with a lot of the guys huh!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Instructor

2007 will have an si sedan.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr.P
has anyone heard of a RSX type s; 201 hp + luxury; I guess no too popular with a lot of the guys huh!
I thnk most of the people around here are looking for a little more size and possibly 4 doors. Plus the RSX is an old design now.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

si sedan that's dumb ....
civic si blew rsx-s away tho
Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
at OP

Some people are really clueless, aren't they?

Just sit down for 2 seconds and review the equipment list of the Civic and compare it to the TSX. Now, consider that the Civic Si sedan will have a base price about $500 more than the Civic Si coupe, putting it around $22500. The TSX without navi can be had for about $27000. That's a price difference of $4500. For that, you get seat heaters, HIDS, leather seats, better stereo, more interior room, bluetooth integration, MID, maintenance minder, automatic A/C, and the list goes on and on...

So, before you post another assinine post comparing the TSX and a Civic, do your homework.
Wow, some hatin' going on here. For the record, I did trade my TSX in on a Civic Si and am not at all disappointed. In your price comparison you are forgetting one thing. A $22,500 Civic will have navi, a $27,000 TSX will not. Get navi in both and the price difference swells to around $7k. That's alot of money for seat heaters (which I never used), HIDs (which are nice but not necessary), leather seats (which are no where near as supportive or grippy as the Si's cloth/suede combo), better stereo (obviously you haven't listened to the new Si's 350 watt/7 speaker stereo with sub), more interior room (that's a given), bluetooth (uselsess without a bluetooth phone), MID (not sure what that is), maintenance minder (the Civic HAS maintenance minder), and auto climate control (one thing I do miss about the TSX). Not saying the TSX isn't more luxurious, obvously it is, but the Civic is no longer a cheap reliable piece of crap. As with all new Hondas recently, it is a very nice car that is well featured and upscale in feel. Plus it blows the doors off of the TSX performance-wise (can you say helical LSD!!!).
Old 05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
nub
Intermediate

22500 for a civic? ....couldn't you get a wrx for close to that?

i kinda view this like the decked out VW phaeton, nice car, v12, but it's a 90k VW.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Wow, some hatin' going on here. For the record, I did trade my TSX in on a Civic Si and am not at all disappointed. In your price comparison you are forgetting one thing. A $22,500 Civic will have navi, a $27,000 TSX will not. Get navi in both and the price difference swells to around $7k. That's alot of money for seat heaters (which I never used), HIDs (which are nice but not necessary), leather seats (which are no where near as supportive or grippy as the Si's cloth/suede combo), better stereo (obviously you haven't listened to the new Si's 350 watt/7 speaker stereo with sub), more interior room (that's a given), bluetooth (uselsess without a bluetooth phone), MID (not sure what that is), maintenance minder (the Civic HAS maintenance minder), and auto climate control (one thing I do miss about the TSX). Not saying the TSX isn't more luxurious, obvously it is, but the Civic is no longer a cheap reliable piece of crap. As with all new Hondas recently, it is a very nice car that is well featured and upscale in feel. Plus it blows the doors off of the TSX performance-wise (can you say helical LSD!!!).
Read the original post, then read my post again and my post will make a lot more sense.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

As you can tell from my handle I have a CL, but I did test drive a TSX and a Civic before buying the CL. The Civic wasn't the SI, this was several months ago and the dealerships I went to didn't have any, but it didn't matter, I wasn't interested in having to shift on a daily basis. A stick can be fun, but not my idea of fun on a daily driver. The Civic was fun to drive, but it just felt too small. The TSX had a much nicer interior, there was no comparision. I will give the Civic the nod on the sound system, it kicked ass, why Honda doesn't offer that in the TSX I don't know... My only complaint about the TSX was a lack of power, the 4 cylinder just doesn't get it done. I think it needs at least the base engine from the 01-03 TL/CL which puts out 225HP. I have a Type-S with 260HP and I've been getting around 27-28 MPG which I think is great for the performance. I went with a used CL because I liked the looks and performance and wasn't interested in a 4 door car. But, if I was I would have picked the TSX over the Civic. I love the CL, but some things I just don't understand... Such as, why isn't the new TL design available in a CL/2-door option? Why isn't a V6 available in the TSX? Why isn't the Civic stereo available in the TSX? If I could have had those in a TSX I may have went that direction even with the 4 doors. If a TSX coupe with those options were available it would have been a done deal.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Civic = Rice Tastic!

True, civic has come a long way. the problem for me is, you see one around every corner most likey riced up

I like the TSX for what it is, Luxury Sports Sedan that competes with Audi's and BMW's
Old 05-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xenonhid
True, civic has come a long way. the problem for me is, you see one around every corner most likey riced up

I like the TSX for what it is, Luxury Sports Sedan that competes with Audi's and BMW's
yah too many ricers will own Civic now.....same as TC and RSX
neverthless I still love Si.....I wouldn't trade for it but I would consider buying it at frist place

i don't think TSX can really compete with the luxury brand.....For some reason i don't think Acura is luxury enough as Lexus or Infinity

btw i think Audi is a fake Euro car haha.... just like VW...
Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Pro

wow......i have to say, havin a civic before and now having a tsx, the civic has come a long way....but for the extra 4000 or so, you get more standard equipment and a car built in japan.I can see why people will compare these 2 cars when the sedan comes out.....however, the tsx is an ACCORD euro r isnt it???????shouldnt the comparisons be between an accord and a tsx?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^ tsx is an accord type-s not an accord euro-r
Old 05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright enough with the built in Japan crap. In fact it means absolutely nothing.

Before someone else bring this argument up, I want hard proof that there is any difference in assembling quality. As for the parts themselves, they need to meet up to a certain standard, no matter what factory it is.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

For the record, I did trade my TSX in on a Civic Si and am not at all disappointed.
Back when I was twenty-something, I never would have bought a sedan is the first place -- but instead opted for a sporty hatchback or coupe. So it doesn't surprise you're happy going from the TSX to the Si -- what surprises me is all the twenty-somethings (like you) that buy TSXes!

...the Civic is no longer a cheap reliable piece of crap.
It hasn't been that since the early 80s!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Black03CL-S
My only complaint about the TSX was a lack of power, the 4 cylinder just doesn't get it done.
That's because you drive a slush-box!

Why isn't a V6 available in the TSX?
Because it won't fit. If you wanted a V6 TSX then should've looked at the TL.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Have camera, will travel

I don't give a crap what people think about what I drive.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 AM
PWP Wh0r3

again, notice the original poster has only 1 post
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and, if anyone bought the TSX to blow the doors off other cars, they're going to be sorely disappointed.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Have camera, will travel

As you can tell from my handle I have a CL, but I did test drive a TSX and a Civic before buying the CL. The Civic wasn't the SI, this was several months ago and the dealerships I went to didn't have any, but it didn't matter, I wasn't interested in having to shift on a daily basis. A stick can be fun, but not my idea of fun on a daily driver. The Civic was fun to drive, but it just felt too small. The TSX had a much nicer interior, there was no comparision. I will give the Civic the nod on the sound system, it kicked ass, why Honda doesn't offer that in the TSX I don't know... My only complaint about the TSX was a lack of power, the 4 cylinder just doesn't get it done. I think it needs at least the base engine from the 01-03 TL/CL which puts out 225HP. I have a Type-S with 260HP and I've been getting around 27-28 MPG which I think is great for the performance. I went with a used CL because I liked the looks and performance and wasn't interested in a 4 door car. But, if I was I would have picked the TSX over the Civic. I love the CL, but some things I just don't understand... Such as, why isn't the new TL design available in a CL/2-door option? Why isn't a V6 available in the TSX? Why isn't the Civic stereo available in the TSX? If I could have had those in a TSX I may have went that direction even with the 4 doors. If a TSX coupe with those options were available it would have been a done deal.
Yes, the TSX 4 cylinder DOES get the job done. Jesus H Christ, people, this V6-in-the-TSX topic has been hammered into the damn ground. The car is just about perfectly balanced as is, it doesn't need the added weight of a V6, nor is it likely one would fit in the first place.

That's why there's no V6 in the TSX. You know, some of us around here actually like the TSX's 4 cylinder.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:35 AM
send me a link to JDM??

I have a TSX (as many of you know ) and my finace has a civic (not SI)...

and I have to say, there are a lot of things about the civic I wish I had. The civic stereo is WAY better then mine; stock sub, SSV, integrated aux jack (remember I have an 05). The Civic's Oil Life meter is pretty cool as well. Overall it is a pretty nice car for the money. My 05 TSX w/nav was 27,750 and her 06 Civic EX w/o Nav was 17,750. So that's a 10k difference excluding the difference in tax liability and here in VA personal property tax obligation (granted it's not a SI)

I mean, I would choose my TSX over the Civic since I had the cash to pay cahs for the car. However, if I didn't, I probably would have thought mighty hard about a 4 door civic with more speed. I think a lot of people here might be spoiled by luxury, but if they could get past that, think the Civic is a pretty damn nice car.

Sadly, I think this is why a lot of people bought the TSX, even though most wouldn't admit it.

One of the biggest problems with the Civic SI is that it goes for so much $ over MSRP because of availability. If I could get one for under MSRP I would think about it even more.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by RTSX-ASpec
again, notice the original poster has only 1 post

Exactly, he's a troll. Who cares if a Civic Si sedan is faster. Grow the fawk up people.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
The civic stereo is WAY better then mine; stock sub, SSV, integrated aux jack (remember I have an 05).
I don't understand why people complain about the stock stereo in the TSX. It's doesn't measure up to booming aftermarket systems, but it really does a pretty good job. Addressing your specific points: my TSX has two stock subs (that's what those 6x9s are) as well as and integrated aux jack -- but I have no clue what SSV is.

I think a lot of people here might be spoiled by luxury, but if they could get past that, think the Civic is a pretty damn nice car.
I don't think anyone is saying the Civc isn't a nice car; they're just saying it is not a luxury car.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
cmf
ATCer

Even though I am picking up a Civic Si for a daily driver, I have thought about getting a TSX for the garage again too. (another toy to fix up )
Hands down, the TSX is a better looking car, and even with a small 4 banger, it's still fun to drive.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by STL
I don't understand why people complain about the stock stereo in the TSX. It's doesn't measure up to booming aftermarket systems, but it really does a pretty good job. Addressing your specific points: my TSX has two stock subs (that's what those 6x9s are) as well as and integrated aux jack -- but I have no clue what SSV is.
I wasn't complaining about the stock system in the TSX. Notice I never said anything negative about it. I was just saying the Civic is better.

Well then the Civic has three subs

And I stated right there to remember I have an 05 so no aux. And SSV is speed sensitive volume control. So as you go faster the volume automotaically gets louder. and on the Civic its adjustable to highly sensitive or less so.

Originally Posted by STL
I don't think anyone is saying the Civc isn't a nice car; they're just saying it is not a luxury car.
I didn't know the comparo was of luxury cars? I thought we were just comparing the two cars...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And SSV is speed sensitive volume control. So as you go faster the volume automotaically gets louder. and on the Civic its adjustable to highly sensitive or less so.
The TSX could use that, particularly with the loud OEM tires.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

What car audio systems really need is not speed-sensitive volume but (possibly speed-sensitive) dynamic range compression (i.e. something that makes the quiet parts louder, without making the loud parts louder). Sadly I've only ever seen one stereo in the world that has such a thing. Good thing I have one

Anyway, using your stereo to cover up the fact that the stock michelins suck ass is just putting off the inevitable. For $400 you can be rolling on Avon M550s and have way better wet and dry traction as well as significantly reduced noise and vastly better ride quality, and there are probably even quieter grand touring tires out there.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I wasn't complaining about the stock system in the TSX.
I agree...the comment wasn't really directed to you. I made it because I've seen a lot of posters (around here) b!tch and moan about the "weak" audio system in the TSX.

Well then the Civic has three subs
Nope.

And I stated right there to remember I have an 05 so no aux.
Well my the '95 Civic didn't have one either (and neither did the '04 I believe). Keeping the playing field level and comparing '06 to '06, they both have that feature.

And SSV is speed sensitive volume control. So as you go faster the volume automotaically gets louder. and on the Civic its adjustable to highly sensitive or less so.
That would be a cool feature, but it's probably more needed in the Civic because those cars have consideribly more road noise than the TSX. I added that feature to my S2000 when I upgraded the audio -- talk about a car that really needs that feature!

I didn't know the comparo was of luxury cars?
To play your game, who said the Civic isn't a nice car?

I thought we were just comparing the two cars...
I'm just saying comparing the Civic Si to the TSX is really an apples to oranges comparo.

Quick Reply: TSX vs Civic SI Sedan