TSX vs. Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
TSX vs. Camry Hybrid

I can get a Camry Hybrid w/Navi, Leather, and Sunroof for $28k+ TTL. TSX w/Navi is pretty much identical in price.

Most of my friends with the Camry Hybrid get upper 30s combined, and the battery warranty is 150k miles here in CA (replacement cost is $2500 if it ever needs it).

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tsx imo is a lot more fun to drive and more stylish. plus has a higher name. BUT i would like to have those high mpgs~ and camry is roomier for families and such. the tsxs size is perfect for me. =]
Old 03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
my acura sanctuary

zingy thai chicken satay compared to roasted chicken with creamy potatoes is the kind of analogy that comes to mind comparing these very different vehicles.
you've obviously been around azine for a while. so you know the spec chart comparo. and each vehicles' characterics.
To me the most obvious differentiator is the fuel economy, where the hybrid trounces the tsx. It's probably in the high 500 mile range. having never driven a new camry, I can't comment on it's handling. but word on the street is. well, you know... sorta creamy potatoes.
though it's a smart move for economy. if your diggin it, do it.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Advanced

on average i get 22mpg.. so its not a huge difference but it is a difference

the problem is that a camry is a camry... most people will think its a boring family sedan whereas a TSX is alot more fun to drive and carries a certain prestige of a luxury brand.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are in the city mostly, the Camry will own the TSX in mpg for sure. If it is mostly highway miles, then the fuel consumption for both will be closer.

If I didn't care for the TSX driving dynamics, then I'd go Camry Hybrid if I did mostly city driving and the TSX if I was doing mostly highway driving. If it was a mix of both, I'd take the TSX.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have seen Camry out there and it looked pretty nice. But I think TSX has nice shape and interior than Camry.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After driving the new Camry, I found that I really didn't like the way it felt, especially when compared to how the TSX felt. So the best way is to just take a test drive of each and see how you like them.

I really really wish I could have the smartkey and pushstart on the TSX though.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Car Nut

Those features will likely make the next-gen TSX...

The Camry felt like an appliance to me... there's no personality in that car, compared to the TSX. I'm sure the 4-cyl gets better mileage, but I prefer to pay the extra bucks to get enjoyment out of my vehicle...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
I can get a Camry Hybrid w/Navi, Leather, and Sunroof for $28k+ TTL. TSX w/Navi is pretty much identical in price.

Most of my friends with the Camry Hybrid get upper 30s combined, and the battery warranty is 150k miles here in CA (replacement cost is $2500 if it ever needs it).

What are your thoughts?
The two cars dont even compare in the same class. Stick with the luxury image. THere are too many toyotas out there
Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by badstsx
The two cars dont even compare in the same class. Stick with the luxury image. THere are too many toyotas out there

THe whole thing will come down to image. The camry rides better and also the handling of the new one is not that bad. The XLE/Hybrid has a very luxiorious interior to compared to the TSX. BUT I hate Toyota Camrys, even though I know its a better car (at least the hybrid) than the TSX (I know one will admit that either). Thats not a bad price on the camry either.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think it's pretty simple...do you like to drive or do you like to be driven?

If you like the drive, the TSX is far more of an engaging drivers car.
If you like to be driven, the Camry is comfy and spacious, but not particularly involving.

Pick whichever suits your needs better.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
05' NHB TSX

I have a 05 TSX and a 07 Camry XLE V6 fully loaded. I went from a 04 TL w/ navi to the 07 Camry XLEV6. I know its not the hybrid but here's my take on the Camry.

Some cons about the Camry that I'm pissed about:
-TCS can't be turned off.
-Motion-lock on Navi and Bluetooth is retarded. (You can't use navi or bluetooth button while the car is in motion, the buttons grey out)
-Only 4 disc indash cd changer (it can play mp3 tho)
-Steering is for a lack of a better term, soggy.
-More body roll then the TSX.
-Smaller navi screen
-no HID option

Pros:
-Push Button ignition and the navi/bluetooth makes the tech savy crowd happy.
-Seats are more comfortable then the TSX.
-Much more spacious interior.
-Very aggressive and sporty looking exterior
-Interior is more isolated then my TSX, you hear less road noise/bumps.
-V6 much faster then the TSX in a straight line.

If I were to go for a sunday drive on some twisty roads or just driving for fun I would take the TSX. Its also not a bad daily driver car but don't expect people in the back seat to love you.

The Camry is perfect for road trips or as a daily driver. Seating is comfortable for all the passanger. I'm getting 26 mpg with only 200 miles on my odo, with mixed city/hwy driving in Orlando. This is about the same milage I get in my TSX (w/o using premium fuel), so I'm sure the Hybrid will get you better milage then my V6. If you want practicality or a good family sedan, go with the camry.

All in all, if I had to pick only one car to keep, it would be the TSX (unless I had kids, then the camry). Its just that much more fun to drive.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think it's pretty simple...do you like to drive or do you like to be driven?

If you like the drive, the TSX is far more of an engaging drivers car.
If you like to be driven, the Camry is comfy and spacious, but not particularly involving.

Pick whichever suits your needs better.
what you trying to get out of this? ask youself that.. that should definatly help you to make a right decision.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

camry = souless(no connection to the road, no feel for the car, boring)

tsx = somewhat fun, peppy engine handles amazing.

if you like driving get the tsx, if you dont like the tsx still get the tsx
Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelkTSX
I have a 05 TSX and a 07 Camry XLE V6 fully loaded. I went from a 04 TL w/ navi to the 07 Camry XLEV6. I know its not the hybrid but here's my take on the Camry.

Some cons about the Camry that I'm pissed about:
-TCS can't be turned off.
-Motion-lock on Navi and Bluetooth is retarded. (You can't use navi or bluetooth button while the car is in motion, the buttons grey out)
-Only 4 disc indash cd changer (it can play mp3 tho)
-Steering is for a lack of a better term, soggy.
-More body roll then the TSX.
-Smaller navi screen
-no HID option

Pros:
-Push Button ignition and the navi/bluetooth makes the tech savy crowd happy.
-Seats are more comfortable then the TSX.
-Much more spacious interior.
-Very aggressive and sporty looking exterior
-Interior is more isolated then my TSX, you hear less road noise/bumps.
-V6 much faster then the TSX in a straight line.

If I were to go for a sunday drive on some twisty roads or just driving for fun I would take the TSX. Its also not a bad daily driver car but don't expect people in the back seat to love you.

The Camry is perfect for road trips or as a daily driver. Seating is comfortable for all the passanger. I'm getting 26 mpg with only 200 miles on my odo, with mixed city/hwy driving in Orlando. This is about the same milage I get in my TSX (w/o using premium fuel), so I'm sure the Hybrid will get you better milage then my V6. If you want practicality or a good family sedan, go with the camry.

All in all, if I had to pick only one car to keep, it would be the TSX (unless I had kids, then the camry). Its just that much more fun to drive.
Thanks. Did you ever drive the SE version?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Now I'm starting to think about the A3.

I need to go to the Acura dealer and give the TSX a look. I was very impressed with the Camry Hybrid...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
無限 本田 CL9

if u do get a camry, make sure u do get one with the factory kit.. the difference is day and night

that being said, I still prefer the tsx over the camry due to its sportiness, compactness, and interior quality.. but the life cycle of the current generation tsx is almost over so thats something to consider.. anyway good luck with shopping for a new car =)
Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I looked at the Camry V6 XLE and 4-cyl when I was car shopping. The Camry was new and the Hybrid was not yet out. Gulf States Toyota forced certain option packages on me that made the Camry w/nav more expensive than the TSX w/nav. Also (and this may sound silly) but the rear seats in the XLE don't fold down and I use that a lot. The Hybrid has a tiny seat pass through that is pretty much useless if you need to haul anything more than a broom or a pair of skis. You can't get Nav on the LE (why not?).

Now they have improved the handling on the new Camry but the TSX handles better. And the V6 has tons of power. But in the end I liked the sportiness of the TSX, pretty much every key feature I wanted, the more unique look of he TSX vice the 300,000 Camrys/yr Toyota will sell. If my priorities were different I may have picked differently. Certainly they sell 300,000/yr for a reason. But for me and obviously the vast majority of members on this board, the TSX had the set of features we were interested in.

If you get the Camry I'm sure it will serve you well.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:16 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Thanks. Did you ever drive the SE version?

My gf just bought a 07 SE MT (Barcelona Red Metallic), I gotta be honest, the car is beautiful. With the new exterior and interior styling, I was really impressed with Toyota. I agree with evo_to_tsx, the difference between the SE and the other trims is day and night. My gf was shopping around for a TSX, Camry, and Accord, in the end she picked the Camry because of the price. She wasn't thinking about a Camry at first because she thought it was too "boring" and an old person's car, but once she saw the redesigned SE, she was really impressed.

I have to agree, the interior of the TSX is better than the Camry, but I like the exterior of the SE better than the TSX. The SE handles well, but I think the TSX does it a little better. The one thing that the Camry has over the TSX is the room, definitely a good car for a family and all.

It's a tough decision, but you can't go wrong with either car...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:38 AM
10th Gear

Your choice could depend on things like (A) Got family or one on the way? (B) Got just you & a friend or two? (C) How important is the savings in GA$ and is it REALLY offset when/if you buy that new $2500 battery?

The TSX is my car (and I got it for ME).. don't need a minivan or big car for family and my wife has her own vehicle!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I hate chomp...

if you don't have a big family, and u only have a friend or two......then why get a sedan at all? Get a coupe if its just you and a friend or two. And for those of you using the lame rationale "well a Camry is a Camry," that's just ridiculous. You're just using past biases and opinions to put down a NEW Camry because you can't come up with any empirical data that shows the TSX as the better car. If your best argument that the TSX is better is because it looks better...well that's sad because that is purely opinion, and can easily be offest by someone saying they like the Camry's looks better. Again, I love my TSX, but know it is not the best, but also far from the worst. I'm a realist. Contrary to popular belief, there are better cars to be had. Instead of asking people on an ACURA forum, what car they would get...an Acura or it's competitor (Car B)....why don't you just test drive them both, and evaluate for yourself.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Well, I don't expect to need a battery until about 200k miles. The difference though, is that a TSX will probably need a transmission rebuild to the tune of $3k around 150k, and the Camry Hybrid won't. The Hybrid's transmission is an extremely simple CVT unit (much different than Hondas) and has proven to be virtually bulletproof.

I've looked at the Camry Hybrid. I'm impressed with it. But I'm going to go look at the TSX soon when I have some time.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

It should be a pretty simple choice when you drive the two cars - they are nearly on opposite ends of the spectrum. You'll like/hate one and be opposite on the other. They Hybrid Camry will be quicker than the auto TSX - hybrid has superb low end torque and would keep up with the 6MT TSX for a while. But the Camry is huuuuge. Massive amount of car there - just the size alone will be bad for handling - anything toyota and honda make are nearly the opposite of each other. We have an 07 CRV, my mother can't stand it, she much prefers the RAV4 - but it was for my father. My mother also can't stand my TSX or the 94 Accord we had. She will take her 96 Camry any day. Good Luck. Just don't go with Nissan and by the way I disagree with your 150K tranny rebuild prospect. Auto trannies go (except for a VW/Audi auto) because of bad drivers. Some will disagree with me with 2000+ TL's and certain Accords but that has been my experience 100% of the time.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC82
if you don't have a big family, and u only have a friend or two......then why get a sedan at all? Get a coupe if its just you and a friend or two. And for those of you using the lame rationale "well a Camry is a Camry," that's just ridiculous. You're just using past biases and opinions to put down a NEW Camry because you can't come up with any empirical data that shows the TSX as the better car. If your best argument that the TSX is better is because it looks better...well that's sad because that is purely opinion, and can easily be offest by someone saying they like the Camry's looks better. Again, I love my TSX, but know it is not the best, but also far from the worst. I'm a realist. Contrary to popular belief, there are better cars to be had. Instead of asking people on an ACURA forum, what car they would get...an Acura or it's competitor (Car B)....why don't you just test drive them both, and evaluate for yourself.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I Was Justin You
on average i get 22mpg.. so its not a huge difference but it is a difference

the problem is that a camry is a camry... most people will think its a boring family sedan whereas a TSX is alot more fun to drive and carries a certain prestige of a luxury brand.
Indeed. My coworker got a brand new Camry just recently. He let me test drive it and it was a yawn inducing experience. There is no doubt that Toyota has mastered the art of creating a totally vanilla car with a totally vanilla driving exerience. The Camry appeals to people who see cars in just the same way as they see there couch or there refrigerator....an appliance with a warranty.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by Ellas9
It should be a pretty simple choice when you drive the two cars - they are nearly on opposite ends of the spectrum. You'll like/hate one and be opposite on the other. They Hybrid Camry will be quicker than the auto TSX - hybrid has superb low end torque and would keep up with the 6MT TSX for a while. But the Camry is huuuuge. Massive amount of car there - just the size alone will be bad for handling
I don't even know if you looked at their overall dimensions before you made the assertion that the Camry was "huuuuge" and "massive," they aren't even all that different in their dimensions. If the Camry is huuuuge and massive like you say...then what does that make the TSX? Only reaaaaal big and enormous?.....which it's not. Neither of them are hhhhuuuuuge or massive....one's just bigger than the other...no big deal, because they are two different cars....wouldn't expect them to have the same exact measurements would you?

Camry Hybrid
Curb Weight AT
Ground Clearance
Height
Length

TSX
Curb Weight AT
Ground Clearance
Height
Length