TSX vs. 325i

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX vs. 325i

My brother got a 2003 325i for his b-day and im consdiering getting a TSX soon... Can someone tell me how performance wise the 325i and TSX compare??? Which is faster over all (both with AT)? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro

Bump.......................................does anybody know????....comon
Old 03-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

the AT 325 will be faster.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

from your other post, getting a car when you get your permit? how often car you drive it then?

as far as the specs, check out edmunds.com for exact specs and options. The BMW has less HP, but is supposedly underrated, and the TSX has less torque but it also underrated. If you search you'll see tons of posts comparing these cars, in the end you have Acura reliability, FWD and value vs. BMW name, RWD and possibly more sportiness? Decide which you want.

Definately test drive both cars as well.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

hello

My friend has a 2001 325i automatic. The TSX has more high end torque... the bimmer has low end torque. With Manual its easier for a good driver to win in a race with the TSX. Automatic is a little tougher. 1st gear is tough with the tsx because the fun doesnt kick in till about 4 thousand. how ever the bimmer the feeling comes as soo as you push the pedal. High end the TSX has an advantage bgecause it likes to rev. The 0-60 times are about 7.9 for the TSX 5AT and about 7.7 for the 325i. hope that helped. Tell him to keep the BMW, its more pimp. But more P-I-M-P comes at a price of faulty mechanics. He will pay more in the long run with the BMW. The TSX is nice for those how cant afford the BMW. But it is just as good in many ways. Oh yeah, RWD is more fun than FWD. But depending where you live, FWD might be the way to go. i would take the BMW though.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Re: hello

Originally posted by zamboni386
The TSX is nice for those how cant afford the BMW.
I'd take a G35C over a 325i anyday for that price range.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:00 PM
... TSX you say?

Tell your parents to get your the BMW. It'll cost them more and insurance should be off the chart!

Sarcasim off now... only you can decide which car is better for you. If all you want to know... which is faster... the stock BMW would be. But if all you care about it top end speed I wonder how long you'll even be driving it since once you get a ticket for 25 MPH over the speed limit you'll lose your license to drive for 3-12 months (depending on what state you live it).
Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Race Director

get a mercedes C32 AMG instead!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
cmf
ATCer

IMO, BMW 3 series are junk, and everyone has one. The TSX is less common today (give it time) on the streets and will help you stand out in the crowd. I like that because you turn more heads with people looking at you like WTF was that car. Then they all come over to see what it is. Again, that's just my opinion.......
Old 03-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro

Originally posted by cmf
IMO, BMW 3 series are junk, and everyone has one.
You might want to check out Car & Drivers top 10 list over the last 10 years in addition to just this year... The TSX is a great car, but don't embarrass yourself by not giving credit where credit is due. The 3 series has been the benchmark for a LONG time and although other manufactures have finally caught up, they have only caught up to a 5 year old design and it will soon be BMW's turn to respond.
I will be honest and say that I am glad I got mine, because I have a feeling that they are going to be ugly as hell, but a performer none the less...
There isn't one on every corner because people are disappointed with the performance, price & appearance. The 3 series is a very well balanced and fun car to drive, just like the TSX. Choose the one that fits your needs, desires and budget.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

ya, just go test drive em both and get what you like. if you can wait there are alot of new cars coming out. new 3 series and is300 should be interesting.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:35 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Buff Daddy, do you find that the 325xi is noticeably slower than the 325i?

If I were to buy a 325, I would have bought the xi rather than the i model just because of where I live...

I love my TSX, but I also love the 325!!!

BTW, I saw the 530 for the first time in real life yesterday - what an utterly beautiful car! The funny thing was, the side profile actually looked a lot like the TSX!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Pro

Originally posted by ostrich
Buff Daddy, do you find that the 325xi is noticeably slower than the 325i?

If I were to buy a 325, I would have bought the xi rather than the i model just because of where I live...

I love my TSX, but I also love the 325!!!

BTW, I saw the 530 for the first time in real life yesterday - what an utterly beautiful car! The funny thing was, the side profile actually looked a lot like the TSX!!!
Yes, the xi is slower, but even if you test drive them back to back, it isn't that dramatic. If I was looking for speed, I would have bought the 330, but we didn't feel we needed it, especially for the extra $$$. It is still quick enough to have some fun from time to time and handles/brakes very well. I am in MN so the xi was something I really wanted for the wife & new baby.
The 325's are leasing extremely well right, far better than the TSX. Free maintenance is included with that as well, so there is really nothing to worry about, we haven't had any toruble with either one of ours, but I know some people have. Just a nice back-up in case anything goes wrong. I have owned Honda's and Acura's in the past and both were great cars but still needed service from time to time, just like every other car.

P.S. I am NOT a fan of the new 5-Series, I just saw it at the AutoShow and I didn't like the interior or the exterior. However, ALL of the Audi's looked great!
Old 03-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Simply on pure performance the 325i has a moderate advantage. In terms of acceleration it is really close (assuming both cars have the same type of tranny), roadholding, balance and braking swing well over into the 325i's favor. On the track (same driver/same conditions) being able to brake deeper, maintain more speed through the corner and adjust balance with the right foot will allow the 325i to produce consistently better lap times. In day to day driving I personally find the 325i more satisfying if nothing more than the flatter torque curve enhanced by the better choice of ratios in the 325i's manual box and the general balance of the car. For most enthusiasts just the rear vs front drive is enough to pick the 3 series. The 3 series continues to be the car by which all cars in the class are judged.

Although you only ask about performance other issues have been raised. Remember you aren't going to finds 325s on the lot for the TSX price, to get one for the same price you will have to order a true stripper, transaction cost to transaction cost the similarly equipped 325 will probably be 4-7 thousand more, depending on what you consider similarly equipped.

As for cost of ownership they are not as far off as most think. intellichoice.com gives their "true cost of ownership" for a car over the first five year, based on average drivers and 15k a year (YMMV) but the cost difference is about $1,500 over 5 years (33,024 to 34,554). Looking at their charts and given the fact the BMW comes with maintenance for the first 4y/50k the BMW is probably as cheap if not cheaper for the first 4 years. Now the chance of having significant (and expensive) problems after 100k miles is more likely in the 325i.

In the end drive the cars and decide what trips your trigger.

Vandy
Old 03-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Are your parents looking to adopt anyone? I have a birthday coming up in May I sure could use a new 325i....
Old 03-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

why does your parents love your brother so much more?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
You might want to check out Car & Drivers top 10 list over the last 10 years in addition to just this year......
I like BMW as much as the next man, but holding the "10 best" list over our head no longer works.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Pro

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
I like BMW as much as the next man, but holding the "10 best" list over our head no longer works.
If you read what I said, it states, "You might want to check out Car & Drivers top 10 list over the last 10 years in addition to this year."
That means that I am acknowledging the fact that you have all seen the TSX on there for 2004 and it deserves to be. However, all of these new designs and engines were still not enough to bump the aging 3-Series off the list. I was referring to the past 10 years because the 3-Series has owned this list as has the Accord. You have to respect that and he (cmf) wasn't. Every car manufacturer in the world has been playing catch-up to the 3-Series for a long time. Now that a few others have began to knock on the door of the 5 year old design, BMW will separate itself from the pack again...

I don't know why any of you even want to make this comparison because in all honesty, here is what you are saying... "Our brand new 2004 TSX is 'almost' good enough to be compared to the 5 year old base model 3-Series?"
Old 03-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't think any car has the ability to "bump" the 3-series off the list. That car will be on there as long as BMW makes one (partially because of C&D's bias towards it, and partially because it's a great car). In addition, the 10 best list isn't designed for cars to "bump" others off (i.e. there's no rule that says "there can be only ONE small sport sedan on the list"). It's just the ten cars C&D writers like most. In no particular order. Period.

Edit: Just so we understand each other--I like the 3-series better than the TSX. I wanted to buy one, but it cost too much.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
cmf
ATCer

Who said anything about not respecting a BMW 3-series because it's in car and drivers top ten. I could give a shit less what cars are in whose top ten. I bought a TSX because it was different, and a reliable car. Like I said, IMO (In My Opinion, in case you didn't know that) BMW 3-series are far too common, and junk in my mind. I have had several friends that work for BMW, and the car with the most amount of problems according to them are the 3-series. Sure, if you want to be like everyone else and have a 3 series, then get one. If you want a 3 series becuase it's in some bullshit top ten list, get one. I could give a shit less. I think the TSX is better....simply put!
When did this become a BMW forum anyways?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro

Just so we understand each other--I like the 3-series better than the TSX. I wanted to buy one, but it cost too much.
I agree that they get a little expensive once you pimp one out, but they lease great. BMW Financial Services one the award for best rates last year which is what helps them get people into these cars.
My sister just leased a $34,840 325xi for less than she was quoted on the $27,035 TSX. Exact same terms miles and money down. Makes no sense at all, but who cares what makes sense when you can get a deal like that. The deal on the 325i right now is $289/mo. Go to www.bmwusa.com and check it out.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The only way I'd buy a BMW is a lease. Totally no hassle when you lease for the durration of the warranty. When your lease is up just trade in for another one. BMW has a lot of minor issues when it comes to rattles and squeeks but the dealers are generally very helpful in fixing them. It's a German car so you're bound to have a few issues but you're covered if anything major goes wrong.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro

Originally posted by cmf

When did this become a BMW forum anyways?
When everyone started to compare and cross shop the 2 vehicles.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Buff-Daddy, why do you even spend so much time in this forum if you are such a BMW snob?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Edit: Just so we understand each other--I like the 3-series better than the TSX. I wanted to buy one, but it cost too much.
And we banned crazytree

Originally posted by jiggaman
Buff-Daddy, why do you even spend so much time in this forum if you are such a BMW snob?
I don't want to answer for B-D and god knows we seldom see eye to eye on the BMW vs Acura thing but he has every right to be here snob or not. He has a valid, educated opinion and makes some great points. Because he does'nt toot the TSX's horn in every post is no reason for us to question why he wastes his time here. As hard as it is to believe, maybe he likes the members and mods?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:55 AM
I spend 2 much time here

if you didn't want to answer for B-D than why did you?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:58 AM
cmf
ATCer

Domn, you're right, he is entitled to his opinion, so if mine is to not like BMW, and answer a question which he did not ask, it kinda goes along with what jigga man might be talking about. Why can't everyone get along?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro

The main reason I wasn't impressed with the 325i is that it does so little with so much:

Although it has much less interior room than the TSX, it weighs about the same.

Even with 2 more cylinders burning about 15-20% more gas, acceleration is the same.

It boiled down to this for me; the TSX exceeds all expectations for a 4-cylinder n/a FWD car. The 325i only falls short of expectations. Just look at what Infiniti can do with 6 cylinders and RWD for under $35k. Interior and exterior styling aside, the G35 puts the 325i to SHAME. BMWs don't start to reach their potential until you are paying $50k+ for M models and the uber-lux models. BMW deliberately 'dumbed down" the 325i just so their owners would aspire to one day own a more expensive car from BMW's lineup.

The TSX is the absolute pinnacle of what can be done with a n/a I-4 FWD car, at least for now. The TSX and 325i shouldn't even be compared, because you are comparing the top rung of one class to the bottom rung of another class.

I'll leave the BMWs for the martini-sipping 40-somethings hanging out at the country club. I'm too young and unpretentious for that image just now.

I'll check back in a decade and a half and tell you all about how my new BMW 3-series is vastly superior to your "tarted-up econoboxes" though
Old 03-29-2004, 11:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JiggaMan
if you didn't want to answer for B-D than why did you?
I said I did'nt want to, did'nt say I would'nt.

Why does B-D posting here bother some people so much?
If he was insulting people or the TSX (like he used to do at tiimes IMO) I can see the problem. But is coming here and pointing out the virtues of a BMW really such a problem?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
The main reason I wasn't impressed with the 325i is that it does so little with so much:

Even with 2 more cylinders burning about 15-20% more gas, acceleration is the same.

It boiled down to this for me; the TSX exceeds all expectations for a 4-cylinder n/a FWD car. The 325i only falls short of expectations. Just look at what Infiniti can do with 6 cylinders and RWD for under $35k. Interior and exterior styling aside, the G35 puts the 325i to SHAME. BMWs don't start to reach their potential until you are paying $50k+ for M models and the uber-lux models. BMW deliberately 'dumbed down" the 325i just so their owners would aspire to one day own a more expensive car from BMW's lineup.

The TSX is the absolute pinnacle of what can be done with a n/a I-4 FWD car, at least for now. The TSX and 325i shouldn't even be compared, because you are comparing the top rung of one class to the bottom rung of another class.

I'll leave the BMWs for the martini-sipping 40-somethings hanging out at the country club. I'm too young and unpretentious for that image just now.

I'll check back in a decade and a half and tell you all about how my new BMW 3-series is vastly superior to your "tarted-up econoboxes" though
right with you on that one.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:05 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Dom should be banned.

FDL, who would love to own a 330. (Sorry Junkster )
Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 PM
cmf
ATCer

Not a problem at all, but to say that someone is embarassing themselves about their opinion is wrong, along with someone who doesn't "respect" a certain car. I am on a TSX forum, I don't have to "respect" a BMW on here. If I went onto a 3 series forum, trust me, I would keep my thoughts to myself.
Give opinions on a BMW all day people, but don't tell me I have to bow down to some 3 series because it's a BMW!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:12 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i just have this thing with people who drive BMWs. i think it's called disgust. haha.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
I think Dom should be banned.
I don't see a smiley :sqnteek:

Can a megamod ban another megamod?
hmmm maybe we should try?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro

Originally posted by JiggaMan
i just have this thing with people who drive BMWs. i think it's called disgust. haha.
Stereotyping = ignorance. If you were behind the wheel of a 3-Series instead of a TSX, does that change who you are, what you think and who you hang out with? If it does, you are weak...
Old 03-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by cmf
Not a problem at all, but to say that someone is embarassing themselves about their opinion is wrong, along with someone who doesn't "respect" a certain car. I am on a TSX forum, I don't have to "respect" a BMW on here. If I went onto a 3 series forum, trust me, I would keep my thoughts to myself.
Give opinions on a BMW all day people, but don't tell me I have to bow down to some 3 series because it's a BMW!
you just have to repect a car that will hand you your arse on a silver platter in performance... that is what you have to respet. not the brand, but what the ar can do.... you can say you dont repect the 3 series b/c you dont care about performance
Old 03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TSX Hokie

watever...the point is 325i > TSX in peformance ... if kia managed to make a very good 3 cylinder car for low price and lots of features...does that mean its better than a TSX or that TSX is no good?... probably right?:P
Old 03-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro

Originally posted by cmf
I didn't say your opinion was embarassing, it's your knowledge and lack of reality that is embarassing... Just to come out and say the 3-Series is junk and the TSX rules because you have one is not exactly research, facts or even making a case for yourself. I like the TSX and numerous other cars and enjoy learning more about them. I an very happy that you love your car as much as I love mine, but keep your feet on the ground and your head out of the clouds...
Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Evil Empire Peon

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Stereotyping = ignorance. If you were behind the wheel of a 3-Series instead of a TSX, does that change who you are, what you think and who you hang out with? If it does, you are weak...
OMG!!! I once sat behind the wheel of a Pinto!!! I must now go kill myself.

Sorry, I just had to do that. Monday morning + working all weekend = need to vent before I explode. <-- Usage of smiley to indicate humourous intent.

Quick Reply: TSX vs. 325i