Old 03-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fdl

Old 03-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
The main reason I wasn't impressed with the 325i is that it does so little with so much:Although it has much less interior room than the TSX, it weighs about the same. Even with 2 more cylinders burning about 15-20% more gas, acceleration is the same. It boiled down to this for me; the TSX exceeds all expectations for a 4-cylinder n/a FWD car. The 325i only falls short of expectations. Just look at what Infiniti can do with 6 cylinders and RWD for under $35k. Interior and exterior styling aside, the G35 puts the 325i to SHAME. BMWs don't start to reach their potential until you are paying $50k+ for M models and the uber-lux models. BMW deliberately 'dumbed down" the 325i just so their owners would aspire to one day own a more expensive car from BMW's lineup.

The TSX is the absolute pinnacle of what can be done with a n/a I-4 FWD car, at least for now. The TSX and 325i shouldn't even be compared, because you are comparing the top rung of one class to the bottom rung of another class.

I'll leave the BMWs for the martini-sipping 40-somethings hanging out at the country club. I'm too young and unpretentious for that image just now.

I'll check back in a decade and a half and tell you all about how my new BMW 3-series is vastly superior to your "tarted-up econoboxes" though
Some very good points, but overall a somewhat questionable arguement... The G35 comes in only 1 form, one engine. The 3-Series gives you 3 stages to choose from. The 325, 330 and M3 are all running i6's, but are very different vehicles. To say that BMW's don't start to reach thier potential until the M's is a joke, the 330i is more than most could handle. For the price, the G35 is a lot of performance for the $$$, but then again, so is the Subaru WRX, but I would never buy one.
The Accord is faster and less expensive than the TSX, but you didn't buy one? If you don't love it, you will never be happy in it, but that doesn't mean it is "junk".
Old 03-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Stereotyping = ignorance. If you were behind the wheel of a 3-Series instead of a TSX, does that change who you are, what you think and who you hang out with? If it does, you are weak...

trust me, you won't see me behind the wheel of a 3-series.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro

Originally posted by fdl
You forgot to add the caption... "TSX driver Ben Dover fails to move aside out of frustration as BMW drivers Stud Muffin and Rich Bastard move up to lap him for the 2nd time..."
Old 03-29-2004, 01:16 PM
I spend 2 much time here

oh Cheese Puff-Daddy, you're too much.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro

Thanks guys for all the response's....I'm gonna do some more research on both of those cars...
Old 03-29-2004, 01:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
You forgot to add the caption... "TSX driver Ben Dover fails to move aside out of frustration as BMW drivers Stud Muffin and Rich Bastard move up to lap him for the 2nd time..."
Old 03-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually, didn't the TSX take 2nd in that race? Meaning at least one of those rich, studly BMW drivers got beaten by Mr. Dover (Kleinubing)? Your post was funny nonetheless. That's why I had my out.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:18 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Is it true that men who buy BMWs do so to hide the fact that they are hung like 3 year old boys?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JiggaMan
Is it true that men who buy BMWs do so to hide the fact that they are hung like 3 year old boys?
No, those are escalades.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:23 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally posted by fdl
No, those are escalades.
true dat.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Actually, didn't the TSX take 2nd in that race? Meaning at least one of those rich, studly BMW drivers got beaten by Mr. Dover (Kleinubing)? Your post was funny nonetheless. That's why I had my out.
Actually I think there were a total of 14 BMW 325's in the field compared to the one TSX. So 13 of those small penis BMW's drivers had their asses handed to them by the "tarted up ecnobox"
Old 03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by domn
Actually I think there were a total of 14 BMW 325's in the field compared to the one TSX. So 13 of those small penis BMW's drivers had their asses handed to them by the "tarted up ecnobox"
Old 03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro

Who won?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro

Well, I think the average 3 year old is about 36" tall, so yes, I am hung like a 3 year old boy...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Geez given what's in my garage I must have an "inny". I guess I have to drive a magnum to make up for it. Although, I do leave myself open to be beaten by those that up my magnum with a pistol gripped Mossburg pump 12 ga, but then again I can take solice in knowing they have full on vaginas!

Vandy
Old 03-29-2004, 02:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Who won?
Thats not important

Come on B-D, I though you were good at math. 14 - 13 = 1

A BMW 325 driven by last year's series champ won the race by 1.8 seconds over the TSX.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ilitig8
Geez given what's in my garage I must have an "inny". I guess I have to drive a magnum to make up for it. Although, I do leave myself open to be beaten by those that up my magnum with a pistol gripped Mossburg pump 12 ga, but then again I can take solice in knowing they have full on vaginas!

Vandy
Hey, we're making fun of 325's here not M3's. M3 drivers are hung like horses
Old 03-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 03-29-2004, 02:43 PM
I spend 2 much time here

hahahaha
Old 03-29-2004, 02:50 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally posted by ilitig8

Vandy
any pics of your Cayenne S?
Old 03-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro

any pics of your Cayenne S?
JiggaMan, wouldn't you rather see some pics of the reliable Acura MDX?
Old 03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Or how about an X5?

Old 03-29-2004, 03:08 PM
I spend 2 much time here

nope. it's not like Acura is the only brand i like. i am very fond of Audi, Mercades Benz, and Porsche also. Just not BMW
Old 03-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Re: TSX vs. 325i

Originally posted by jdmitr22
My brother got a 2003 325i for his b-day and im consdiering getting a TSX soon... Can someone tell me how performance wise the 325i and TSX compare??? Which is faster over all (both with AT)? Thanks.
Read this writeup.
http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3042?view=t&page=1

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3042?m...41012&mime=asc
Old 03-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro

Originally posted by fdl
Or how about an X5?

Probably just getting mods... Not to many BMW service centers work on non-BMW motorcycles.

Now go back into something at 5mph!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

LOL

Ahh, the good ol' days. Times are better when we're not all getting along
Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Teh ?

See, this is the type of thread I like... people take pop shots at others, others take pop shots, other people jump in for a laugh and nobody goes out of hand and no one gets banned... I love it.

Throw my wrench into this mess: I think BMWs are wonderfull, brilliantly engineered cars that are drivin' by some (not all) snooty people who don't know what they just bought... all they know is that its got a blue and white circle with three letters around it...

Pop Quiz: What is the blue and white circle represent?

... I digress. I would love to buy a BMW, but not right now. I'm 25 years old (yikes) and I couldn't possibly afford to maintain a BMW if something were to go awry. I'm sorry, but maintanance cost of a BMW is significantly higher than a Honda on average. When I'm like 45, a neurosurgeon, with money to spare, than yea, I would get something like a 5 series. But at this point in my life, I just don't want to seem like a little brat whose father bought them a BMW for graduating high school or something (I went to a private university and that's the story with all the BMWs there).

And in this whole discussion, I think B-D and Gilbo just behaved so rationally and respectful that I can't imagine its actually them!!! IF I had to get a BMW right now, easy, 330. It's not as troubling to take care of as a M3, but with better performance than a 325 (sorry, B-D).

Ah, this is why I enjoy this forum so much...

Junkster, who doesn't consider anything made outside of Germany a BMW (cough, X5... cough, X3).
Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by Junkster
See, this is the type of thread I like... people take pop shots at others, others take pop shots, other people jump in for a laugh and nobody goes out of hand and no one gets banned... I love it.
I concur wholeheartedly. When everyone is bein' cuddly and pattin' each other on the back, I'm not inspired to keep checking the posts

Anybody not knowing this shouldn't be posting in this thread

Junkster, who doesn't consider anything made outside of Germany a BMW (cough, X5... cough, X3).
SCMW??

jcg, who is surprised that he's older than Junkster
Old 03-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Throw my wrench into this mess: I think BMWs are wonderfull, brilliantly engineered cars that are drivin' by some (not all) snooty people who don't know what they just bought... all they know is that its got a blue and white circle with three letters around it...

... I digress. I would love to buy a BMW, but not right now. I'm 25 years old (yikes) and I couldn't possibly afford to maintain a BMW if something were to go awry. I'm sorry, but maintanance cost of a BMW is significantly higher than a Honda on average. When I'm like 45, a neurosurgeon, with money to spare, than yea, I would get something like a 5 series. But at this point in my life, I just don't want to seem like a little brat whose father bought them a BMW for graduating high school or something (I went to a private university and that's the story with all the BMWs there).

And in this whole discussion, I think B-D and Gilbo just behaved so rationally and respectful that I can't imagine its actually them!!! IF I had to get a BMW right now, easy, 330. It's not as troubling to take care of as a M3, but with better performance than a 325 (sorry, B-D).

Answer: Airplane prop from their airplane engine roots

As far as maintaining a 325 mid long term (std service and warranty for 4y-50k) they are not as bad as everyone thinks, IF you bother to find a good independent shop, they abound for Bimmers and many are better than the stealerships. The one killer for long term satisfaction and low repair bills is abuse. When the warranties were shorter and maintenance was not included to 50k there were a lot of poorly maintained 5-8 year old BMWs floating around, they would be sold by private parties or non-affiliated dealers and indeed there were night mares. High milage BMWs aren't gonna beat out Honda for reliability, but based on the statistics owning a 325i will cost you about $25 a month more over 5 years compared to a TSX (including avg: milage, state fees, insurance, depreciation, maintenece, repair and finacing costs (assuming a basic 325). Beyond that it is more of a crap shoot with the BMW. This all said to pont out of someone WANTS to own a 325i it won't be loads more than a TSX, interesting enough the G35 is more expensive than the 325 to own over the 5 years.

Also let me point out I like the TSX, and though the majority of the posts I have made here regard BMWs (since that is a subject I know more about then TSX issues) I would not consider a 325 for the "job" I plan for the TSX (or other vehicle I choose) which is 40k a year travel with the plan to keep the car for upwards of 300k. If I can't plan on 250k plus, at resonable repair costs, then I can't justify a $28k car, this leaves me with a short list with the TSX currently at the top.

Vandy
Old 03-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by jcg878

SCMW??

jcg, who is surprised that he's older than Junkster
The X5 being built in SC is bad enough... the X3 can't even be considered a BMW-built car, since the assembly is OUT-SOURCED to a smaller manufacturer in Austria!!! Ugh, next thing you know, there gonna build MBs in the US... oh, they do... well, they'll never build a Lexus outside of Japa... wait, the RX? Really?

I read that BMW outsourced the assembly of the X3 due to not have plant capacity to build another model... now I'm wondering if BMW will build a new plant so that future X3 production is handled in-house. And what aboot the 1 and 2 series? Are those new models also being outsourced? Questions...

Off topic: I feel older now for some reason... 25 is scary. I'm almost there for 30... heck I'm 26 this May!!!

Another quiz: How did Daimer come up with the name Mercedes Benz?

Junkster, who is getting older by the minute... AHHHH!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Pro

IF I had to get a BMW right now, easy, 330. It's not as troubling to take care of as a M3, but with better performance than a 325 (sorry, B-D).

That's 2 cheap shots at me in one message Junk. It is easy to say that if you got a BMW, you would get the 330, but then again in fantasy land, you don't have to pay for it, so you might as well just jump up to the M3. With me it isn't even about the money, it is being realistic about what you really need vs. what you want. Since everyone thinks I am a snob here anyway, I will go ahead and say that with all that has taken place over the last year, I could have the X5 4.6 and an M3 in my garage instead of the base X5 3.0 and 325xi, but there is no need for it. I am married, 31 and have a 6 month old little girl, my life is more than 0-60, HP & Torque these days. Sure, having more is better, but how much do you really need and where does it end? If I am not happy with the 2 cars in my garage rith now, then I truely would be a snob and my priorities would be in the wrong place.
I will admit that I have been tempted by the Cayenne Turbo, I went through an H2 phase and I seriously considered an S4, but after the initial thrill, it all passes and I would just want the next best thing anyway, so, I just get what I need rather than what I want. As many of you have stated, just because you can afford something doesn't mean that you have to go out and buy it.

As far as what you consider a legit BMW, get real. Your authentic Japanese production TSX's are rattling like a mo-fo and have been held for recalls, so no matter where cars are being put together, they are all being slapped together way too fast by someone making a few dollars a day.

Buff-Daddy, who thinks Junkster's is only physically closing in on 26.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:57 AM
Burning Brakes

dooood stop arguing bout which car is better or what not, its really getting old! Just go out and test drive a few and get whichever one you like best. the guy simply asked a few questions and now the thread has become a bashing party. honestly, there are more important things than how much money you have or what car you drive.

go out and have a few drinks and kick it with your buddies. I do that everyweek and its much funner than spending all my money on my car!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

The X5 being built in SC is bad enough... the X3 can't even be considered a BMW-built car, since the assembly is OUT-SOURCED to a smaller manufacturer in Austria!!! Ugh, next thing you know, there gonna build MBs in the US... oh, they do... well, they'll never build a Lexus outside of Japa... wait, the RX? Really?
I do not know where all this came from, but since Junk wants to start talking smack about things I guess my 2 cents are needed.

Junk complains that these are not real BMWs, but I think they are. Also Junk doesn't realize it brings jobs into the US.

I have a X5, and I think it is a beautiful machine. I am 24 and bought this car and the TSX by myself. Despite popular belief, Mommy and Daddy don't always have the ability to help out financially.

This thread got so jacked! To the originator, I would just sit down after test driving both and weigh things out. Look at the purpose of the car (commuter, weekend) and what you can afford. Are you going to need for your weekend activities? (i need fold down rear seat for snowboarding and fishing trips) If a name is something that you would like to have, both are held in high regards in different respects. I crossed shopped the A4, 325 and the 330 with the TSX, for me driving 33k a year and needing a reliable car that is easier to get rid of in 3-4 years I had no doubt the TSX is what I wanted. It the best overall bang for your buck.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Teh ?

Wow, stirred up some broohaha here. Nice.

B-D, I wasn't taking a shot at you personally or the decisions you made, what made you think that? I never said that your choice was bad in any way or that you couldn't afford it or anything to that nature. I was just trying to say that IF I had the ability to buy a 3 series, it would be the 330. 325 is a great choice, especially in the AWD model, I actually think you made a great choice. I don't think your a snob at all, I think you are passionate about cars and love to discuss cars in a reasonable forum, which is hopefully bringing you to this forum.

As for the X5, I'm a purist at heart. I expect my Acuras/Lexus/Infiniti built in Japan and I expect my Audi/MB/BMW built in Germany. I've actually driven one at the lab I'm working at and I have to admit, it's the best SUV I've ever driven, hands down. Good balance, great ride... a true BMW SUV. But than again, I'm not a SUV fan, although I drive one at the moment. I'm sure in BD's case, he needs it for the family, especially with a little one and all the things a little one needs. I love BMWs alot, the old Bavarias, SMCs, and especially the 2002. I guess I can live with the X5 being built in the US... but no matter what people say, I can't embrace the X3 as a BMW.

Yuhoo, I wasn't dealing with any economical reprecussions when dealing with the X5. I'm just talking about BMWs built in Germany. And I don't think you really need to defend yourself in anyway, if your young and can afford nice things, by all means, do so... heck, you probably earned it (I have engineering friends from college making 80~90k and they're only 25, so I don't doubt the claim of being young and rich).

Which brings me to this: We all take pop shots at everyone here, and that's what they are, POP SHOTS. Not supposed to hurt anyone's feelings or negate their opinions on things. I thought BD would just roll with the punches and just say retort with some TSX crack... but I think he took it personally, and if I offended anyone to a point where they have to attack me or defend themselves... sheesh, I'm sorry, it's an internet forum, don't take anything personal.

Junkster, who thought he was just taking pop shots.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Racer

Junkster. I don't know how to quote but to answer your question Gottlieb Daimler was starting up a car company and he needed money so he went to this big-wig in Austria that was willing to give him the money to fund the company. One of the Conditions that came along with the money was that the car company had to be named after his daughter, Mercedes. Then when he teamed up with Karl Benz it was a merger of some sorts and that's how Daimler became Mercedes-Benz
Old 03-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Teh ?

Eesh, I heard a totally different story about Mercedes being the name of a daughter of a racer for Benz who wanted to dedicate it to one of his daughters. He was a famous racer and Benz wanted to associate with him as more than a company racer, so they gave him the option of adding to the name. The racer flipped a coin to decide which daughter's name would be used. I've heard the other daughter's name is one of those "homely" Austrian names. Luckily, it landed Mercedes.

I've found other stories as well, I wonder why all the discrepency.

Junkster, who wants the truth now.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:44 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

I wasn't offended or anything Junk, I was just saying that BMW built anywhere still has the same quality as if it was built over seas.

I am an engineer, but by no means am I rich. I am not sure if rich and engineer are ever in the same sentence, unless the word NOT is directly in front of rich. In fact, that is only a dream for me right now as I work my 55 hour weeks

BTW, the mini cooper in my sig is not my car. Its my GF's but I get to drive it.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by yuhoo22
I wasn't offended or anything Junk, I was just saying that BMW built anywhere still has the same quality as if it was built over seas.

I am an engineer, but by no means am I rich. I am not sure if rich and engineer are ever in the same sentence, unless the word NOT is directly in front of rich. In fact, that is only a dream for me right now as I work my 55 hour weeks

BTW, the mini cooper in my sig is not my car. Its my GF's but I get to drive it.
Cool, long as you weren't offended so badly that you found yourself defending your stance.

I'm still gonna disagree though . Not about the X5, I've seen the interior and drove it for 10 minutes. It's a pretty well built car. I haven't read any reliability literature on the X5 but from what I hear, it's a pretty good car.
But you have to agree on the X3, right? Top Gear, Car and US magazines alike have said that the car's quality in material and fit and finish are not up to higher BMW standards. Most reviews have no problem with the driving dynamics of the car, but do point out that it seems overpriced for what you are getting. Outsourcing the whole assembly is my big pick with this car. At least the X5 is built in a BMW plant, where quality and workmanship can be guaranteed by the company itself.

Don't feel bad about working 55 man, so do I and I have to say it sucks. I have to work on Saturday and Sunday every other week as well, which really makes planning anything a disaster. At least for an engineer, there's light at the end of the not-so-distant future. I'm still trying to get into med school, which will put me in debt by a quarter mill or so by the time I'm done with school... ugh.

Your a lucky bastard, my friend. Your girl actually has a car that someone could really have fun in. My last girlfriend drove a 93 Nissan pick up. Let me say that I did not enjoy driving that piece.

Junkster, who never considered a Mini as an option.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Houston we have a problem

Junkster, your Racer story is accurate, but Mercedes is French.

Quick Reply: TSX vs. 325i