TSX vs 05 NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
TSX vs 05 NAIAS

So I was down in Detroit on Saturday for the show. Its been two years since I was there and the 03 show was where I first saw the TSX and its competitors and decided to buy it.

So this year I decided to take a close look at what appears to be the TSX's main competiton. I came out of the show even happier with my decesion to buy the TSX than ever before. There wll always be a better car available, but IMO, a year and 8 months later the TSX is still the best choice in the sport sedan/entry lux market for under 30K US or 35K CAD.

Mazda 6 - April 03 was the last time I was in this car. I had truly forgotten how bad the interior was. Its plaugued by cheap plastics and a dash reserverd for a kids play set. It comes nowhere near the level of the TSX's interior. and I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Volvo S40 - Can you say small? When this thing first came out I recall we had some arguments about how big it was in comparison to the TSX. The numbers showed it should have about as much interior space as the TSX. Numbers can definently be deceiving, this car is the same size as the Mazda 3 it was built off. No rear seat space and no shoulder room. Not to mention the interior quality still isn't as nice as the TSX's, better than the Mazda's but it still falls well short.

Audi A4 - Can't really say anything negative about the A4. Its looks good inside and out and the interior was beautifully put together and the doors closed with such a beautiful thud I couldn't stop opening and closing it just for that reason (A6 too) Then why would I still buy the TSX over the A4? Price and reliability.

G35 - I know its not in direrct competition with the TSX but since I sat in it for awhile I'll give my Ext styling IMO is awful. I liked the G35 for all of 3 days before the styling looked dated. And I'm not sure where exactly Infiniti improved the interior but it still looked cheap and poorly put together IMO. The plastic looks 3 notches lower than the plastic used in the TSX. The price pushes it out for me as well.

Subaru Legacy - This was the first time I had sat in one. It was a 2.5 GT and I have to say I was quite impressed. The leather felt like a better quality than the TSX and I couldn't see where they cut corners on interior quality and finish, it looked great. Not quite as nice as the TSX but far better than the M6, S40 and G35. It was fairly spacious as well and the exterior also looked sharp. To be honest It was the one car that I wished I had waited for but then the car's $42K CAD price tag would have pushed me away anyway. Subaru did a nice job with this car.

Now if they can only do something about the B9's front end styling

BMW 3 series - Didn't sit in one, too expensive.

Saab 9-3 - Didn't even go in that direction.

The one car I did see that I thought was great was the Audi A3. Great int and ext styling but is was locked so I couldn't get inside and get an idea of quality or space, looks like a winner though.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Good review domn.

Did you see the King Motorsports TSX in the basement with every possible Mugen part available? That thing was crazy.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Automobile Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Good review domn.

Did you see the King Motorsports TSX in the basement with every possible Mugen part available? That thing was crazy.
what!!! Dont you have any pics of that?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by NJtsx
what!!! Dont you have any pics of that?
I do. I'll post some up tonight.

For some reason I have the front, back, wheels and interior but I forgot to take a side shot.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I do. I'll post some up tonight.

For some reason I have the front, back, wheels and interior but I forgot to take a side shot.

you deserve to be hit over the head with a fish.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I have some pics of that TSX as well. The rims had me memorized. They are perfect match for the car, beautiful.

Dan you sit in the M5? Great seats, horrible, horrible interior.

The M45/35 was nice as well. Nice dash layout but agin the plactics used IMO were sub par.

And I'm not sure what the hell Lutz was thinking with all the black plastic moulding on the ZO6? It has a small plastic wing, plastic around each wheel well and around each opening. NOt sure if that will make production but geez, its a 75K car, at least use a hifg quality plastic and a dark black plastic that will be less noticeable.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Photography Nerd

I've always said those Mugen rims are the hottest thing for the TSX and I've only ever seen one car with them on. Did you like the 4 wheel StopTech BBK?

I had a seat in the M5 and I thought the same thing. The dash is FUBAR. The engine was a sight to behold though.

I was pretty impressed by the M45 but I kept thinking the exterior reminded me a lot of a Maxima. What the hell was up with that purple umpa-lumpa mobile that Infiniti brought?

There were a few strange bits on the Z06 but I'd still get one in a heartbeat. Speaking of weird plastic wings, did you see that Sebring with the factory ricewing on the back?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

No, I didn't see that Sebring, My time at Chrysler was mostly spent around the Charger and SRT's.

Not sure what the hell Lexus was thinking with the new GS either. The rear quater panels are just awful. Really ugly car overall IMO.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Less chit chat, more pics.

Nice write-up, btw,

EDIT: When the fuck are our smileys going to be fully functional?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Photography Nerd

Don't worry CG, I have 1.5GB of pics.

Smileys are still on the operating table. The weirdest thing is that some work but others don't.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Don't worry CG, I have 1.5GB of pics.

Smileys are still on the operating table. The weirdest thing is that some work but others don't.

I didn't take that many pics. I guess because we saw everything before even going nothing had me really excited. Well excpet the F430.

I don't think I've ever palyed such close attention to interiors before. The new Mustang is nice but the interior quality in a joke IMO. Same with the 350Z, the interior is a total joke, I'd never buy one.

Audi on the other hand has interiors down pat, just beautiful.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Photography Nerd

I couldn't get near the F430. I had to wait 5 mins just to get a shot of the ass on the SuperAmerica and I probably would have had to wait 10mins+ to see the F430.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I couldn't get near the F430. I had to wait 5 mins just to get a shot of the ass on the SuperAmerica and I probably would have had to wait 10mins+ to see the F430.

Really? We waited a few minutes and wiggled our way in. We were at the Ferrai exhibit for about 30 minutes at least, spending most of our time in front of the 430 and 04 F1 car they had there.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Photography Nerd

Well, I need your photos then.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Well, I need your photos then.

I'll get em on my PC tonight. The Ford GR1 should make for some nice photo's as well. The chrome and blue lighting made for a nice effect.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Photography Nerd

That had to be the hardest subject ever to photograph. It was dark, the thing was spinning on turntable, and the whole car was chrome! It was seriously cool but none of my shots are sharp.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

That had to be the hardest subject ever to photograph. It was dark, the thing was spinning on turntable, and the whole car was chrome! It was seriously cool but none of my shots are sharp.

Ya, I've only seen my pics through the camera's LCD so we'll see. The F430 was hard to shoot as well. It was too close to the railing and there was alot of backlight. In fact alot of cars were hard to shoot beacuse they were simply too close and spinning. The Porcshe GT comes to mind.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I've always said those Mugen rims are the hottest thing for the TSX and I've only ever seen one car with them on. Did you like the 4 wheel StopTech BBK?

I had a seat in the M5 and I thought the same thing. The dash is FUBAR. The engine was a sight to behold though.

I was pretty impressed by the M45 but I kept thinking the exterior reminded me a lot of a Maxima. What the hell was up with that purple umpa-lumpa mobile that Infiniti brought?

There were a few strange bits on the Z06 but I'd still get one in a heartbeat. Speaking of weird plastic wings, did you see that Sebring with the factory ricewing on the back?
which mugen wheel are you talkin about?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by dzuy
which mugen wheel are you talkin about?
The Mugen NR
Old 01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The Mugen NR
I love those wheels. Too bad they're so damn expensive...
Old 01-17-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Ok guys, lunch break, time to go home and post the pics.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Ok guys, lunch break, time to go home and post the pics.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Mugen NR
Oh! Beautiful, beautiful!!

Thanks for keeping us up on the Detroit show. If I had time, I'd make a detour to spend a few hours there while driving down, but I'd be passing around that place at like 4 AM anyway, so.. I'll be happy to just devour all the pics and info you can bring on!

Old 01-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Hondaholic

Were they running 17"s or 18"s on that car?

They only have the 17"s on the website for the TSX, but they list an 18" for the Ody in a 7.5" 55, which should fit.

I just don't want to be the Beta............
Old 01-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Photography Nerd

They were running 18's.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Pro

well Domn, I agree with your assessments. I would love to get to Detroit one of these days for hte show - even the TO show would be great. Up here in Ottawa, the show is absolutely lame. The venue is too small and none of the Japanese / major Euro manufacturers even bother showing up (no Honda / Toyota / Acura / Nissan / Infiniti / Lexus or MB BMW etc). THere are no concepts or anything else. Its truly a waste of time and money.

Anyways, I stopped by the Subaru dealer the other day - the Legacy is definitely a great looking package. I was very impressed with the interior quality / look/feel and ergonomics - on par with our TSX for sure. Plus - they of course have a wagon to offer that has a stick, is AWD, and a 250 hp turboed engine! What more could I want - ok, maybe a slightly lower price tag. Also, the moonroof was huge in the wagon - offering the backseat passengers some rays as well. The cargo space is very ample.
I'd get one in an instant if my TSX was a few years older...and past the steep part of the depreciation curve...
Old 01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes