TSX Trunk Tray = TSUX

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Trunk Tray = TSUX

flimsy and a poor fit. barely adequate enough to not get returned. basically it's a giant floppy 1/8" think piece of plastic with TSX stamped on it.

comments?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Instructor

I'm getting it free so what the hell? I'll take it. It's better than nothing to protect my trunk.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Uhhh, I think the trunk tray is a great piece.

I haul about 10 bowling balls around in bags that would muck up the carpeting if there wasn't anything there to protect.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a waste unless you're a golfer.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:15 AM
bleh...

I have a trunk tray in my TSX and I don't have problems with it.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Banned

was that flimsy, ill-fitting piece of plastic worth $90?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Registered AssHat

I like mine.

Groceries, trash, bark, muddy bike parts, etc. go in the back. When it needs cleaned, I pull it out and hose it off. Much better than trying to dig mud out of the trunk carpet (which never really comes out all the way).
Old 03-04-2004, 03:56 AM
Advanced

well... its not worth it for 90 dollars... but wait until u spill shit in the back of your car... or mud or some sharp stuff and scuff up the carpeting... then it will be worth 90 dollars...

my tsx came with it and the all season floor mats for free... so im not really complaining.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Kidd
well... its not worth it for 90 dollars... but wait until u spill shit in the back of your car... or mud or some sharp stuff and scuff up the carpeting... then it will be worth 90 dollars...

my tsx came with it and the all season floor mats for free... so im not really complaining.
I totally agree!!!

Was hauling some plants to the house for the wife and somewhere along the trip they fell over. TRUST ME... I was so happy to have that trunk tray!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:11 AM
The Voice of Reason

1.) It was thrown in as part of the deal along with the window etching, wheel locks and mudflaps.

2.) Even of it weren't "free" I still would have bought it. Spill a gallon of milk or paint or motor oil in your trunk without it and you'll see why it's useful. At $84.15 (discounted) it's certainly overpriced but it's sure a lot cheaper than replacing the trunk lining!

(If you don't like your car, sell it!!!)
Old 03-04-2004, 07:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
It's a waste unless you're a golfer.
I'm a golfer and it comes in handy for that purpose. But it serves so many more purposes that just to hold golf shoes. I don't know how I ever got along without a trunk tray in my other cars.

Its a must IMO.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:34 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The trunk tray is great. It fits in my TSX fine and keeps the trunk clean. A must have.,
Old 03-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Is it hard to get an aftermarket one to fit?

Actually, when I put sharp things like snowboards in, I think I would be worried more about it scratching the tray; you can't really scratch the carpet that visibly.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by domn
I'm a golfer and it comes in handy for that purpose. But it serves so many more purposes that just to hold golf shoes. I don't know how I ever got along without a trunk tray in my other cars.

Its a must IMO.
What a minute: what are the other purposes? I understand about the plants (we use her Jetta for this...I'm not dirtying up the TSX) but what else is there? I don't haul muddy shoes to the grocery store very often.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 AM

I like it. It serves it's purpose. It's a trunk tray not a serving tray.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Mine was thrown in for free with wheel locks (I refused the "splash guards"), so I have no complaints. I'm a firefighter & I often have to carry my turn-out gear home (if I'm going to an "out station" the next shift), so it comes in fairly handy to me.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:27 AM

i like my trunk tray...i throw all kinds of things in my trunk and not worry about spillage, stains, etc. was it worth $80(hondacuraworld.com) to me? definitely, for $80 it gives me peace of mind when i leave shiet in my trunk and cheaper then getting it professionally shampooed/cleaned if anything does spill back there...
Old 03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Racer

I like my trunk tray (part of my "free" protection package). I'm now fearless with piling in groceries, liquids, muddy golf shoes etc. like others have mentioned.

I doubt I'd have shelled out $80 for the tray as an accessory, but I'm glad I've got it -- always hated vacuuming the trunk, and now I don't have to
Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

What a minute: what are the other purposes? I understand about the plants (we use her Jetta for this...I'm not dirtying up the TSX) but what else is there? I don't haul muddy shoes to the grocery store very often.
It serves a purpose dammit, now go buy one.

I can't tell you how many times this winter I've put something in there that had snow on it which later melts in the trunk. Guess what happens to the water? Yup, stays in the trunk tray.

Anyone who does'nt have one should be banned IMO.

3999.........one more to become a true whore.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Instructor

NO complain, since it comes free with protection package from the dealer. Looks nice, and keep water from the mat.
Looks bigger and more space then my old CL
Old 03-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered AssHat

Spilled milk, broken eggs, ruptured soda, etc. etc. just from the grocery.

In my 1990 Accord I had a gallon of milk leak into the back seat without me knowing about it. Let's just say the next week that car smelled pretty bad.

Now thigns like that go in a bag, in the trunk, with a trunk liner.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Banned

you people are totally missing the point.

so the trunk tray protects your trunk from dirt? well so would a piece of sheet plastic with TSX written on it with a sharpie. but then again I bet most of you would think that as long as it came with your TSX then it is TOTALLY AWESOME, DUDE.

My point is not whether or not it protects against dirt... as that appears to be the sole criteria that most of you are using to determine that it has some great degree of utility. In that case would the dealer covering your trunk in aluminum foil be TOTALLY AWESOME, DUDE?

My point is that it is flimsy, cheap and and ill-fit. It protects against dirt and grime?!!!?!? No shit.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Crazytree. I remember when I first got the tray it was all rolled up in plastic. I was like WTF? what kind of cheap thing is this. Then I put in and realized. If it was'nt so cheap and flimsy, there's no way the bloddy thing would fit in the trunk.

But, as long as it does the job...........

Anyone looking to buy one should probly try the aftermarket first. Maybe their's are slightly better built? Try mats.com.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by Crazytree
you people are totally missing the point.
It was free.

Free + Benefits = RULE.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
It was free.
It wasn't free. If you had opted not go get it you could have gotten a comparable discount on the purchase price.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:33 PM
ABP TSX

I like my tray. It works just fine for me. I paid for mine after the sale. My dealer was not throwing in jack on the sale.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Free trunk tray =
Crazytree =

Old 03-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Registered AssHat

It wasn't free. If you had opted not go get it you could have gotten a comparable discount on the purchase price.
Actually I wouldn't have. I had negotiated for MSRP in April 2003. Another dealer offered the same but with a bunch of stuff thrown in for free. I asked my local dealer to match the offer and he did.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:06 PM

it has TSX on it? AWESOME DUDE!

protects from dirt? DOUBLE AWESOME DUDE!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

Actually I wouldn't have.
Actually you would have if you had bothered asking. The fact that you negotiated a price is irrevelant in that you just admitted you continued to negotiate until you took delivery.

I can guarantee you if you gave them the option of giving you $300 worth of accessories or $150 off the price... you would have gotten $150 off the price. I'm not going to continue to argue with someone who believes that car dealerships give away stuff for "free".
Old 03-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered AssHat

Actually you would have if you had bothered asking. The fact that you negotiated a price is irrevelant in that you just admitted you continued to negotiate until you took delivery.

I can guarantee you if you gave them the option of giving you $300 worth of accessories or $150 off the price... you would have gotten $150 off the price. I'm not going to continue to argue with someone who believes that car dealerships give away stuff for "free".
I don't think they give stuff away for free. They lowered the price of the car, and then had to pay their parts department cost for the accessories I requested.

And sure, I negotiated, but then again I didn't ask for $300 worth of accessories either. It came down to either the saleman sold me the car for MSRP (which was going rate at the time) or he'd lose the sale.

I did ask, and he wouldn't budge.

On the other hand, I don't really give a rip about the extra $80 worth of accessory cost on a $27000 vehicle. Financed out, that's be a whole $2/mo. (would you like fries with that?)
Old 03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Banned

Financed out, that's be a whole $2/mo. (would you like fries with that?)
"Financed out". The classic dealership nickel-and-dime justification. "Financed out... these $200 wheel locks are only an extra $3 a month... what a steal!"
Old 03-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Registered AssHat

"Financed out". The classic dealership nickel-and-dime justification. "Financed out... these $200 wheel locks are only an extra $3 a month... what a steal!"
Whatever. It sound like you're bored and looking for a meaningless pissing match. I don't feel like playing.

Bottom line, I like my trunk tray and it has proven useful on many occasions. Better than yard trash bags at least.

Let us know if you find anything better.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey everyone,
South Coast Acura is selling the trunk tray via its website for $59. http://www.southcoastacuraparts.com/ Say they mark it up 10% for profit. That would mean that the dealer cost on one of these is around $53 (lets just say $50). Either way, for $59 its a good deal. I don't think its that flimsy, it fits the general outline of the trunk, and it buys me piece of mind from spills, scrapes, etc. If my dealer hadn't thrown it in for "free" then I would have paid the $59 to get it.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Baka Unco

Crazytree, you sound bitter . . . this seems to be about more than just a trunk tray for you . . . maybe you'd like to 'share' in the "Off-topic" area.

One other way the all weather trunk tray thing is good, is that it keeps things from sliding around too much. Stuff still slides some but not nearly as much as when it's on the carpet.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jlukja
Hey everyone,
South Coast Acura is selling the trunk tray via its website for $59. http://www.southcoastacuraparts.com/ Say they mark it up 10% for profit. That would mean that the dealer cost on one of these is around $53 (lets just say $50). Either way, for $59 its a good deal. I don't think its that flimsy, it fits the general outline of the trunk, and it buys me piece of mind from spills, scrapes, etc. If my dealer hadn't thrown it in for "free" then I would have paid the $59 to get it.
What are they charging for installation?
Old 03-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by corbs
Crazytree, you sound bitter . . . this seems to be about more than just a trunk tray for you . . . maybe you'd like to 'share' in the "Off-topic" area.
It's also about fanboys like you who think that any comment that denegrates the TSX is high treason. I swear it's like being in front of McCarthy and the HUAC in here sometimes.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:03 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Whatever. It sound like you're bored and looking for a meaningless pissing match. I don't feel like playing.
Sounds like its fodder for lawyer debate 101. Then again, CT complains about anything.

It looks like hondacuraworld.com has it at ~$76 now, which I agree seems steep for thin molded plastic that has TSX stamped on it. It does its job very well and while I haven't been transporting plants or spilling milk, I like knowing that it’s there to protect the trunk.

It's also about fanboys like you who think that any comment that denegrates the TSX is high treason. I swear it's like being in front of McCarthy and the HUAC in here sometimes.
Fanboy theory aside, your initial post is basically attacking an accessory many of us have and appreciate. I don't think it’s a poor fit, but ymmv. It obvously does it job well for many/all of us, although as stated, the price is steep and I bet we could find something better for less money. (perhaps making something with supplies from lowes ??) You make an inflammatory post then expect people to respond with nothing but praise for your intuitive observation?

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

-r
Old 03-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: TSX Trunk Tray = TSUX

flimsy and a poor fit. barely adequate enough to not get returned. basically it's a giant floppy 1/8" think piece of plastic with TSX stamped on it.

comments?
I'll buy it from you for $30 bucks.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 PM
ABP TSX

Re: Re: TSX Trunk Tray = TSUX

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
I'll buy it from you for $30 bucks.
I need a spare tray and will up the ante to $30.01

How do you like them apples?

Quick Reply: TSX Trunk Tray = TSUX