Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: TSX Trunk Tray = TSUX

Originally posted by gsclifton
I need a spare tray and will up the ante to $30.01

How do you like them apples?
There you go, Crazytree. Just put it up on eBay, and all will be well.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I like mine very much. It keeps the dirt from making a mess of the trunk, and it looks good! LOL
Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Baka Unco

Originally posted by Crazytree
It's also about fanboys like you who think that any comment that denegrates the TSX is high treason. I swear it's like being in front of McCarthy and the HUAC in here sometimes.
I don't even own a trunk tray for the TSX, I have one for my other car . . so . . . I'm not really sure what your problem with the product is, what do you excpect it to do, gow apples and wipe your butt? Would it be better if were made by "Husky" or any other 3rd party? It's a fricken floormat, and it is helpful (in all the ways pointed out previously) in a TSX or any other vehicle.

I'm no "fanboy", in fact I'm quite critical, I think there are many things that could have been done better on the TSX and most other things. But I don't bitch and moan about something as insignificant as this, like I said before it's just a fricken floor mat.

It still really sounds like you're bitter and need a nap and maybe a bottle. . . not everyone has had the same experiences as you so not everyone is going to 'feel for you.' If you don't like the thing get rid of it and design/produce your own. Hey if it's good maybe I'll buy one. Until then just mellow out. :shakehd:
Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was that flimsy, ill-fitting piece of plastic worth $90?
It cost $76 at www.hondacuraworld.com

I don't have it but I think I am going to buy it.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
although it's thinner then I expected it too be it's perfect. It keeps the carpet clean and its light. If it was thicker it'd be a bitch to get in or out especially if you got a flat and had to go digging under it. At first I was kind of annoyed by the part in the right corner that doesn't go all the way to the edge but no I find it's perfect for putting small things in so they don't go flying around in the trunk.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:04 PM
such a dirty birdy

I don't have a trunk tray, but I think you're all convincing me I should get one! I use a $10 tarp in the back of my Suburban and that seems to work well.

Crazytree's beef seems to be that it's overpriced, not that it's not useful. If that's really the case then it sounds like a business op. Make a better one and sell it for less. Problem is, the comments here seem to indicate that the vast majority of people think that it is already priced appropriately.

Actually, there's probably more money to be made by producing a trunk mat with "Type-R" on it. The "Type-R" mat would sell for about $250; it would add at least 15hp and enlarge the owner's penis. TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

I was ecstatic with the trunk tray when the top came off the window washer fluid bottle that was stored in the trunk. I look at it as a $140 prophylactic - worth every bloody penny when you really need it.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Advanced

It wasn't free. If you had opted not go get it you could have gotten a comparable discount on the purchase price.
well... acutally i gotta say, I got my TSX for 26,200... with wheel locks, trunk tray, all season floor mats... and no other bullshit dealer addons....

for 26,200 a trunk tray = chump change. period
Old 03-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by idx
your initial post is basically attacking an accessory many of us have and appreciate.
FANBOYS ON THE PROWL
Old 03-05-2004, 12:12 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's also about fanboys like you who think that any comment that denegrates the TSX is high treason. I swear it's like being in front of McCarthy and the HUAC in here sometimes.
Umm its a piece of plastic, what do you want it to do? It does its job fine for me.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:33 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

FANBOYS ON THE PROWL
That's what I thought. You don't have any response, so its time to cling to the allmighty fanboy blanket. Hell, I agree with you on the price issue, but you can't see past your own nose...

-r
Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 AM
The Voice of Reason

It wasn't free. If you had opted not go get it you could have gotten a comparable discount on the purchase price.
I expected to pay extra for it!

Since the dealer equips ALL their cars with the trunk trays (and the wheel locks, window etching and mudflaps) probably because it's cheaper than fighting with the typical lessee when s/he returns the car in 3 years and the interior smells like a goat farm ... it was "free" (note quotation marks!) even though I purchased, not leased, the TSX.

And I still would have paid extra for it!

(The discounted price for the tray for the Accord is $64.90, add in the "Acura parts premium" for the Cappucino machine in the well-lit waiting area (seriously!) and the TSX tray's price is almost a bargain!)

Old 03-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by bob shiftright
I expected to pay extra for it!

Since the dealer equips ALL their cars with the trunk trays (and the wheel locks, window etching and mudflaps) ... it was "free" (note quotation marks!) even though I purchased, not leased, the TSX.

Bob my TSX didn't come with a trunktray or mud flaps. I did have the wheel locks though.

I just ordered mine trunk tray. It cost 63.57 after tax.

Crazzytree, Just so you know, I did put a tarp in my trunk. It tore when I added my Subs. Now I have wire shavings all stuck in my carpet. A tarp is no substitute for the real thing. I didn't order it when I bought my car and now regret it.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Racer

My question to Crazy is, what should the "cheap" tray be made of, in order to justify the price?

It seems to me that the trunk tray material is a nice balance of flexibility (for easy removal), durability and functionality. And it says "TSX" to boot!

How much more can you expect for around $80? That's barely enough cash for two fillups at the pump right now
Old 03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
STi'd

Originally posted by AsahiToro
I'm getting it free so what the hell? I'll take it. It's better than nothing to protect my trunk.
Werd...I got mine free so I'm not complaining.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Also keep in mind guys that the trunk tray isn't exactly a high production Item. They would have to have custom molds made that cost big bucks. How many trunk trays are out there? 500, 1000, 2000??? If a mold costs $30,000 for tooling you've got to figure that into the cost of each tray. No question that they're making a good markup on this item but it's going to be expensive regardless...
Old 03-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Advanced

That price is acceptable for the protection that the tray gives you. How much will it cost to shampoo the carpet two to three times during the life of the car? Probably the same amount as the trunk tray. With the trunk tray you can clean the spills that cause odours right away.
I was glad I had it a few days ago when I transported a small gas tank in my trunk that spilled.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:46 PM
DPZ
Advanced

There are at least two separate concepts of value/cost here.

One is how much is the trunk worth to you. If it is worth more than you paid for it (explicitly or implicitly) then you made a good decision to buy it. If Crazytree is saying it is worth much less than he paid, he should sell it to someone who values it more.

The second concept is how much does it cost to produce. After all, we'd pay an infinite price for water if we had to, but we get it cheaply because it doesn't cost much to produce. It's a fair question whether it should cost as much as it does. Dan Martin makes some good points that what may seem easy may still take some effort and costs.

Also, if it were so cheap to produce these things with a custom fit, why aren't there lots of third party manufacturers producing this at a much lower price. I'd have no problem buying a non-official one if it fit well. The dimensions of the TSX trunk aren't exactly a secret. The fact that this doesn't exist suggests that the cost (per unit sold) may not be as low as one might think.

Just my 2 cents, bored on a Friday afternoon.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Also keep in mind guys that the trunk tray isn't exactly a high production Item. They would have to have custom molds made that cost big bucks. How many trunk trays are out there? 500, 1000, 2000??? If a mold costs $30,000 for tooling you've got to figure that into the cost of each tray. No question that they're making a good markup on this item but it's going to be expensive regardless...
Excellent point. I figured they would have both Accord and TSX versions to amortize the costs over potentially 150k cars a year.

The light weight and packaging also lower shipping costs.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
My question to Crazy is, what should the "cheap" tray be made of, in order to justify the price?
Easy: rubber.

Plus I don't know about the rest of you... but I have a pretty big 4"x8" gap on the right near corner of my trunk.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:35 PM
I am Ahab!

Easy: rubber.

Plus I don't know about the rest of you... but I have a pretty big 4"x8" gap on the right near corner of my trunk.
me too. It's perfect for holding small items I don't want flying around the trunk.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The back end by the right rear hook/harness got folded down and hasn't sprung back into place. The plastic is pretty thin so I'm not expecting too much...but it does it's job
My sales guy and I agreed that an old blanket would work just fine in the rear (what I use in all our other cars). So I didn't ask them to throw one in nor wanted to purchase one. The day I picked up my car, I popped the trunk and there was one in there. I guess they had a surplus of them cause all the ones in the showroom had one too.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Don't listen to me.

was that flimsy, ill-fitting piece of plastic worth $90?
Yes, I just got mine last week. And it is well worth the $60 I paid for it.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:41 PM
bleh...

Well, I'll tell you guys this. I feel that the trunk tray is totally worth it and saved my TSX's carpeted trunk over the weekend. It worked really well and did what it was suppose to on Sunday! I was at church and I had to go pick up some food from a chinese restaurant and bring it back to the church for after worship. Apparently, as I drove back to my church all the sauce and oils from the food leaked out of the containers they were in. Then it started leaking from the box and onto my trunk tray. I didn't notice that until I took the food in to be served.

Nonetheless, trunk tray was easy to clean, no mess.

The smell of the fried rice, general tao's chicken, and chinese noodles is what remains in my car.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:46 PM
A-TSX enthusiast

mmm...love some General Tao's Chicken....
Old 03-25-2004, 06:07 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
Well, I'll tell you guys this. I feel that the trunk tray is totally worth it and saved my TSX's carpeted trunk over the weekend. It worked really well and did what it was suppose to on Sunday! I was at church and I had to go pick up some food from a chinese restaurant and bring it back to the church for after worship. Apparently, as I drove back to my church all the sauce and oils from the food leaked out of the containers they were in. Then it started leaking from the box and onto my trunk tray. I didn't notice that until I took the food in to be served.

Nonetheless, trunk tray was easy to clean, no mess.

The smell of the fried rice, general tao's chicken, and chinese noodles is what remains in my car.
shit now I'm hungry. :P I'd get hungry for chinese everytime I got in a car that smelled like food.

anyway imagine how much longer the smell would last without the trunk tray
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Gotta be careful though. There is a slight performance degradation with the trunk tray installed.

Make sure to remove it before racing or time-trials.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Cruisin'

The trunk tray isn't bad at all. I carry my mountain bike in my trunk all the time and grease,dirt, leaves, etc. gets everywhere. And if it was not flimsy then how would it be installed in the trunk because the opening isn't that large :P
Old 11-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Gotta be careful though. There is a slight performance degradation with the trunk tray installed.

Make sure to remove it before racing or time-trials.

dammit!!! now you tell me
Old 11-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazytree
you people are totally missing the point.
damned trolls. we know exactly what what your point is....

anyway, here's some reasons to get the tray for those who don't have it that might be interested in it:

1) contains spills really well
2) doesn't absorb odors as much as factory lining
3) convenience - lightweight making it easy to remove/wash
4) looks much better than generic trunk linings
5) leaves 2 side pockets (in the corners) to store small items
6) prevents things from sliding around in the trunk
7) holes left for harness rings