View Poll Results: Between TSX and TL, which car would you get if price weren't a consideration?
TSX
43.81%
TL
56.19%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

TSX or TL: Who else would pick the TSX even if they cost the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:07 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Crazytree
This thread is insane... TL hands down.

I like how one person said that a big factor in choosing the TSX was that the TSX was Japanese built and the TL is American built... somehow Japanese built connotes better quality. Perhaps this clown missed all the "baby-rattle on wheels" threads?

Who are you calling clown? I never said I was right, I said it was my opinion. If for any reason I prefer cars made in Russia VS cars made in the States, it does not make me a clown but someone who has an opinion.

A clown would sound more like: "This thread is insane... TL hands down".

IMHO, no car wins hands down better. Everything is relative. It is a matter of personnal choice.

Next time, before calling someone a clown or anything else, you should try to ask questions and understand this person's point.

Luc
Old 12-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

"clown" is something I could probably call a 5yo girl without her getting offended. sorry you got offended... I've called people much worse things here.

I understand your point, yet I feel it is based very much on WHAT I HAVE IS BETTER and much less on objective comparison.

While the TSX is a cool car... imagine a V6 by the same manufacturer with added amenities for the same price.

so yes... HANDS DOWN--->

Old 12-07-2003, 09:33 PM
More On

Originally posted by Crazytree
.....While the TSX is a cool car... imagine a V6 by the same manufacturer with added amenities for the same price.....
.....and which isn't as nimble, or as much fun, which doesn't look as good, and is a little bit fat.

Yes, just imagine.......
Old 12-07-2003, 09:37 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
Justin, you and a couple of others here are being a bit rigid. It seems you're not allowing enough for differences of view, and you're not enough taking into account the multiple dimensions involved in car decisions.

About the 3-series: For a lot of us, the 3-series isn't even in the ballgame, because we want better reliability. (Please let's not get back into a debate about BMW reliability. Suffice to say that it's a completely respectable and defensible view to regard 3-series reliability as not top-notch.)

About the G35: Many of us just don't want an RWD car. And that also applies to most BMW's too. (I know, I know, there are AWD's in the 3-series. But that still leaves the reliability issue, not to mention the MUCH greater cost.)

With regard to the TL/TSX comparison, those other things don't come into play. But as soon as you mention other brands, you open all kinds of Pandora's boxes which are completely besides the point at hand here.
Im not being rigid. Im just trying to figure out how many of the 41% of those who voted for the TSX will actually walk out of the dealer with a TSX over the TL if I did sell the TL at the same price. It took me this long to respond in this thread because I have asked this question to probably over 100 people in the past 7 days. Shown them both cars have them drive both and asked the question asked here...I got less than 10% for the TSX. And of the 10% for the TSX they only wanted the 6Spd. So what gives??
Old 12-07-2003, 09:54 PM
More On

Originally posted by justinjsw
Im not being rigid. Im just trying to figure out how many of the 41% of those who voted for the TSX will actually walk out of the dealer with a TSX over the TL if I did sell the TL at the same price. It took me this long to respond in this thread because I have asked this question to probably over 100 people in the past 7 days. Shown them both cars have them drive both and asked the question asked here...I got less than 10% for the TSX. And of the 10% for the TSX they only wanted the 6Spd. So what gives??
As you'll see if you read this whole thread (which I don't expect you to do), those numbers that you give are about what I'd expect in "the real world." We're BIASED in favor of TSX -- a lot of us are people who DID pick the TSX, which means we really liked it. (Didn't anybody tell you? ) We KNOW that most people OUT THERE prefer the TL. First of all, SALES FIGURES tell much of the story. Acura is going to sell a lot more TL's than TSX's, even at higher prices for the TL, so of course a hell of a lot more people would choose TL than TSX if the prices were the same. As I said in the first post, I personally expected maybe 15% TSX on this poll -- and, in view of TL's obvious advantages, I thought that would have been a pretty good performance for TSX. And whatever figure we were going to get, of course it was going to be higher than what you'd find in the general population. In fact, I'd say that 40% over here maybe corresponds pretty closely to 10% over there! And anyway, it's evident from what some of the voters say in their posts that some of the TSX voters really should have voted TL, because their TSX votes were based a lot on the TSX's lower cost, which of course violates the point of this poll, but what are you gonna do? It happens. Anyone who looks closely at what people are saying on here knows not to take the actual numbers too literally. But likewise, anyone who looks closely at what people are saying on here should know that A LOT of the TSX votes are indeed genuine -- and, yes indeed, I was pretty surprised to see you (of all people) seeming to doubt how the TSX's handling would put it over the top for a lot of people.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Instructor

It's a ridiculous question and a ridiculous poll.
You got a whopping 10% for the TSX from people that haven't bought either car. Here, it is asked in a forum where about 90% of the people already have purchased the TSX.

Why not go to a KIA forum and ask the same question re a KIA & a Civic? You'd probably get the same insane results that you get here.

Eneg
Old 12-07-2003, 11:16 PM
OG

Originally posted by eneg
You got a whopping 10% for the TSX from people that haven't bought either car. Here, it is asked in a forum where about 90% of the people already have purchased the TSX.

Why not go to a KIA forum and ask the same question re a KIA & a Civic? You'd probably get the same insane results that you get here.

Eneg
Excuse YOU.

I just wanted to know for my personal reference what the difference would be in the real world vs this forum. And a whooping % did buy...they brought the TL.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:21 PM
OG

As you'll see if you read this whole thread (which I don't expect you to do), those numbers that you give are about what I'd expect in "the real world." We're BIASED in favor of TSX -- a lot of us are people who DID pick the TSX, which means we really liked it. (Didn't anybody tell you? ) We KNOW that most people OUT THERE prefer the TL. First of all, SALES FIGURES tell much of the story. Acura is going to sell a lot more TL's than TSX's, even at higher prices for the TL, so of course a hell of a lot more people would choose TL than TSX if the prices were the same. As I said in the first post, I personally expected maybe 15% TSX on this poll -- and, in view of TL's obvious advantages, I thought that would have been a pretty good performance for TSX. And whatever figure we were going to get, of course it was going to be higher than what you'd find in the general population. In fact, I'd say that 40% over here maybe corresponds pretty closely to 10% over there! And anyway, it's evident from what some of the voters say in their posts that some of the TSX voters really should have voted TL, because their TSX votes were based a lot on the TSX's lower cost, which of course violates the point of this poll, but what are you gonna do? It happens. Anyone who looks closely at what people are saying on here knows not to take the actual numbers too literally. But likewise, anyone who looks closely at what people are saying on here should know that A LOT of the TSX votes are indeed genuine -- and, yes indeed, I was pretty surprised to see you (of all people) seeming to doubt how the TSX's handling would put it over the top for a lot of people.
I don't doubt that handling would put the TSX over the TL. But again the question was if the TSX were the SAME price as the TL what would you choose.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:22 PM
More On

So?

Don't my last couple of replies here address that? (Not to mention numerous other posts on here.)
Old 12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
OG

So?

Don't my last couple of replies here address that? (Not to mention numerous other posts on here.)
Forget it. Just drop it.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:35 PM
More On

Sure. But I hope you do get it. You're a mod, you're an authority figure here -- what the heck, you're an AUTHORITY! And it seemed like you didn't get it -- in fact, it seemed you were fighting us, and ignoring (or disbelieving) the fairly sensible things a lot of us had said.

That's all.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Racer

After reading CD's January review of the TL, I think the TSXers have been validated. Honda's engineers need to roll up their sleeves and take some corrective action to eliminate, to the extent they can, the TL's torque steer to make it more competitive. They can do that, give the TSX more HP/torque and also tweak the RSX to enhance its sales, plus make sure the (hopefully) AWD new RL is a total winner and things will be ducky. What do you guys think about TSX production/options being increased to make up for potential lost TL sales (in view of latest reviews) and even lost Accord sales?
Old 12-08-2003, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Excuse YOU.

I just wanted to know for my personal reference what the difference would be in the real world vs this forum. And a whooping % did buy...they brought the TL.
Guess I didn't make myself "clear!"
I also compared the two cars. And, without any poll!
I bought the TL!!

Eneg
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Banned

I think the TSXers have been validated.
So you are saying that the TSX should have been RWD too? This argument was almost 50% of this unfair review.

The TL's V6 power crushes the TSX. Just for this engine, it worths it.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:19 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by Saintor
So you are saying that the TSX should have been RWD too? This argument was almost 50% of this unfair review.

The TL's V6 power crushes the TSX. Just for this engine, it worths it.
I think we are all saying, from people who cross shopped both cars and others and bought the TSX is that we prefer the TSX. I could care less about the extra HP and torque that the TL has. The TSX has more 24 HP than my Vigor and almost the torque and I am plenty fast in that car as any of my friends could testify. The TL is more like a muscle car to me, but without the advantage of RWD. It has too much torque for the FWD platform it is on. The TSX strikes a good balance. It also handles better, is made in Japan, has more of an elegant look, etc. If I had a RWD car a little more engine would be fine, but I rather have of the nice balance and handling of the TSX in a FWD platform.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Eneg
I'm not sure why this thread is being taken so seriously. I thought it fairly obvious that the results would be skwed in the TSX's favour since thsi is a TSX forum. So why are you so surprised eneg? You know you made a good choice.

And as Justin said, in reality we know these numbes would be less than 10%, and I doubt they would even be that high.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:32 AM
6th Gear

JDibella, more like JD dontnowa

Please in the future DO NOT make comments on things you know nothing about.
production #s on the accord eclipse 400k units per year.
The RSX you see on every corner must be the same car. Total production of the RSX is only 30k units per year.
The TSX you say will be everywhere, only 15k units per year.
Now try discussing what you may know, like how fast that little accord goes, just don't race all those other 6mt. Question, is yours the powder blue one?

Just for the record, Acura has better reliability and resale value then your run of the mill accord.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Prballard,

I think we are all saying, from people who cross shopped both cars and others and bought the TSX is that we prefer the TSX.
Hmmm, looks like you are speaking for everybody that shopped both cars (As well as having nothing to do with the "poll.")
The TL is more like a muscle car to me,
A "muscle car?" The TL? You must be very young!
It has too much torque for the FWD platform it is on.
I find this interesting. In normal driving, we aren't smashing the gas pedal to the floor.
What the TL gives you, that the TSX does not, is that on those occasions when you do need the extra HP & torque, it is there for you!
As everyone is passing you by, you are thinking - "My-oh-my, this car handles great!"

One more thing: I'm sure that you have read a lot of notes on the forum. Read some notes from people that have had the TSX for a while. It usually goes something like this: I love the car, BUT........

Eneg
Old 12-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Hi Domm,

Originally posted by domn
I'm not sure why this thread is being taken so seriously. I thought it fairly obvious that the results would be skwed in the TSX's favour since thsi is a TSX forum. So why are you so surprised eneg? You know you made a good choice.

And as Justin said, in reality we know these numbes would be less than 10%, and I doubt they would even be that high.
I think I am taking it seriously because it is a "stacked" question.
If it was asked in a neutral site (sort of like Justin did it), then I would just take it for what it is. Being that it is asked here, a lot of people are believing the results. . .

Eneg
Old 12-08-2003, 09:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Hi Domm,

I think I am taking it seriously because it is a "stacked" question.
If it was asked in a neutral site (sort of like Justin did it), then I would just take it for what it is. Being that it is asked here, a lot of people are believing the results. . .

Eneg
Who's believing the results? potential shoppers? Look at it this way. Current TSX owners who answered this poll say they would have still bought the TSX if the TL were the same price. Its a question asked in a TSX forum to TSX owners. What did you think the results would be? Its definently a stacked question which is all the more reason for you not to care about the results of this poll and take the results for what they are, bias towards the TSX.

Lets see, the question was, who would have still chosen the TSX if it were the same price as the TL, right? At what price, the TSX's 27-29K or the TL's 33-35K? Who here really would have paid 35K or 41K CAD for a TSX? Noone in their right mind IMO. Well may be except Larch
Old 12-08-2003, 10:09 AM
TSX Lover

A "muscle car?" The TL? You must be very young!
I am 42. My TSX on order will be my 5th Acura. I have never owned a car with more than 200HP (but I have been behind the wheel of a few), so to me the TL does feel a bit like a muscle car. Take a look at Jan. MT and CD comments on the TL's torque steer problem. That is exactly what I experienced on my test drives with both the 5AT and 6MT, but it was a lot worse on the 5AT. It still is a hell of lot better than a 04 Maxima in that regard.

The TL is a really good car, I just prefer the TSX. If they had never brought the TSX in the U.S. I would probably be getting the TL now.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Here we go again... now we're arguing about which of two very similar cars is better?? None of our polls are generalizable anyway, and I don't think anyone takes them seriously.

And I contest that larch is in his right mind
Old 12-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

the TL does feel a bit like a muscle car.
I can insure you that the average 0-60 of cars from that 'muscle cars era' was well above 5.7s!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:57 AM
More On

.....Lets see, the question was, who would have still chosen the TSX if it were the same price as the TL, right? At what price, the TSX's 27-29K or the TL's 33-35K? Who here really would have paid 35K or 41K CAD for a TSX? Noone in their right mind IMO. Well may be except Larch
You're right about the Larch part. As was JCG......

People keep wanting to change this poll into something else. All I meant to ask was: Forget about price, which car is more desirable to you, period? And if someone answers it truthfully, the answer would apply at whatever price. Sure, if you raise the number to a ridiculous level (although yes I would have paid it ), the person wouldn't buy the car even if they like it better.

No need for you TL guys to worry about these actual poll numbers. Of course the results are biased, for the obvious reason, plus you can see that some people are voting "TSX" even though from their posts it's obvious that what they really mean isn't that the TSX is a better car but that it was a better buy because it cost less, which means they should have voted TL. As I've said, the content of the posts on here tells the story more reliably than the poll numbers do. And from those posts, we see that a fair number of people truly regard the TSX as a more desirable car than the TL.

What's so hard about that?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

....All I meant to ask was: Forget about price, which car is more desirable to you, period? And if someone answers it truthfully, the answer would apply at whatever price.....
Exactly.

Some respondents' misinterpretation of the poll is one thing, but why is it so hard to understand that some people (me) simply do not want to own/operate a TL?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Exactly.

Some respondents' misinterpretation of the poll is one thing, but why is it so hard to understand that some people (me) simply do not want to own/operate a TL?
I have no trouble believing that statement. But if we put a different spin on things and ask, would you have paid 34K to operate your TSX?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 AM
More On

Sheesh. Like I said, people keep wanting to make this into a different poll.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I have no trouble believing that statement. But if we put a different spin on things and ask, would you have paid 34K to operate your TSX?
Let's first understand that this is a COMPLETELY different question.

My answer is no. For that money I'd rather have a 3-series, A4 3.0, G35, or WRX STI (pink badges be damned!).
Old 12-08-2003, 11:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Yes, I understand its a completely different question thats why I asked it.

But is it really all thay different from Larch's poll question? If I understood things correctly, Larch's poll asks which of the cars you'd want if the price was the same? right? Well since we don't all live in a fanstasy land we would have to pay for the car. The car would have to have a price, be it either the TSX's 27K or the TL's 34K. So maybe one could say they would take the TSX if both were 27K but what would you say if they were both 34K?

So no Larch its not a different spin, I'm just adding some reality. Who would pay TL prices to get a TSX?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

....I'm just adding some reality. Who would pay TL prices to get a TSX?
Probably not many people other than Larch.

The TSX is no longer the best car (to me) at $34K. But that doesn't mean the TL is. And regardless, I just don't like the TL. In Larch's terms it is not a desirable car to me. It wasn't designed with someone like me in mind. Therefore it doesn't fit my lifestyle. Plus I think it's ugly (I've been trying not to say this on the forum too much out of respect for TL owners). SO: if given a choice between a TSX and a TL (and nothing else) at the same price, I would pick the TSX any day of the week (and twice on Sunday!).
Old 12-08-2003, 11:38 AM
More On

......So no Larch its not a different spin, I'm just adding some reality. Who would pay TL prices to get a TSX?
Not only is it a different spin, it's a completely different question.

The main problem with your "reality" is that when you say "TL prices," you're raising the price to a level that most TSX buyers couldn't and wouldn't pay. And that has nothing to do with what we're asking on here.

There's lots of different but related questions we could be asking. If we asked the question you're trying to force on us, my answer would still be TSX, and so would some other people's, but it would be way less than 40%.

I think the fairer alternate question, in terms of this poll, would be, "If the TL were also only $27K, which car would you pick?" not "Would you pay $33K for the TSX?" But I still don't understand why it's so hard to just take this poll for what it is without trying to make it into a different question.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Thats a fair and honest answer Clutch. I guess we have to have another poll some time.

"Who would take a TSX over a 325, A4, 9-3 or G35" if they cost the same"

Personally I want a G35 AWD now. I love the way the AWD system works. But I still can't stand the looks.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

....I think the fairer alternate question, in terms of this poll, would be, "If the TL were also only $27K, which car would you pick?" ....
Yes! My answer: TSX.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Not only is it a different spin, it's a completely different question.

The main problem with your "reality" is that when you say "TL prices," you're raising the price to a level that most TSX buyers couldn't and wouldn't pay. And that has nothing to do with what we're asking on here.

There's lots of different but related questions we could be asking. If we asked the question you're trying to force on us, my answer would still be TSX, and so would some other people's, but it would be way less than 40%.

I think the fairer alternate question, in terms of this poll, would be, "If the TL were also only $27K, which car would you pick?" not "Would you pay $33K for the TSX?" But I still don't understand why it's so hard to just take this poll for what it is without trying to make it into a different question.

Because your questions does'nt have enough information. How can someone make a decesion if they don't know all the facts. If you want to say "TSX or TL at 27K" thats fine but at least you've given a guideline. Again all I'm doing is putting some reality into this poll. We have to pay for cars so you should put a price in to get real more accurate results. Having people make up their own pricing skews the results, which is what happened.

Then again maybe I'm taking this poll to seriously.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:55 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Plus I think it's ugly (I've been trying not to say this on the forum too much out of respect for TL owners)
I don't think it is ugly at all. Other than the embosed ACURA (that screams PONTIAC) and the guages I think the TL is a lovely looking car. The TL is still a solid 2nd choice to the TSX for me.

Hey all of you sales guys, how about lobbying to get that great DVD-Audio sound system the TL has in the 05 or 06 TSX. I wouldn't mind the Bluetooth either.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Hit me up

TL is leet
Old 07-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Wow, a larchmont post!

:nostalgia:
Old 07-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Larchmont, your prediction is way off man!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
Wow, a larchmont post!

:nostalgia:

p.s. - congrats on post no 2000 jcg878
Old 07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

TSX is made in Japan but TL is US build, so even if tsx is more expensive than TL, I think I will still go for tsx. And I will pick TSX over 325, A4, C-class, S60T5, 9-3, Passat, IS300 for sure. But G35 will give me a tough choice. :fingerfawk:

Quick Reply: TSX or TL: Who else would pick the TSX even if they cost the same?