TSX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006 | 04:46 PM
Earth-bound misfit

TSX purchase

This is probably a stupid question, but since I don't know the answer, I'm asking it anyway. Does anyone know if dealers will allow you to purchase a car with a credit card? It would be really nice to get all those frequent flyer miles...

(Just a couple more weeks 'til my truck's ready to sell! )
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:51 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

I don't see why not, although there are often limits on monthly or annual spending in terms of accumulating points on cards.

A dealer will get hit with a fairly HUGE fee for this though, as most credit cards charge the retailer (dealer) between 1.5% and 6% "interchange" fees, so, the dealer might not be all too happy to take it.
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Purchase full amount; not likely.

Make the downpayment or lease drive-off; yes.
Old 05-30-2006 | 04:55 PM
for EVER more!

Is it possible to have a credit card with a $30,000 limit at age 29?

Props
Old 05-30-2006 | 05:12 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Ha! Actually, I have no idea what my Amex limit is, (I haven't hit it yet?) but I was planning to find out. I'll have to find out about the monthly point limit, too. If I can't put the whole thing on there, I'd at least like to put as much as possible. I was planning to pay cash after I sell my truck, but any free points are good.

The fee they would be charged is exactly why I was wondering. They don't get any benefit from financing & they have to pay the cc company.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006 | 05:19 PM
Intermediate

We wanted to use our credit card...hey its a month of interest free no payments, but they would only let us use 3G per card...so I guess if we had 10 cards we could do it?

It might vary per dealer though...
Old 05-30-2006 | 05:24 PM
Team Owner

The internet sales manager that I dealt with let me put $10,000 of the purchase price on my credit card (the remainder I paid by check). I joked with him that if I had a higher limit I would have wanted to put the whole amount on the credit card. He said "that would have been fine with me, I got the sale I don't care how you pay for it". I was like, .
Old 05-30-2006 | 05:29 PM
10th Gear

My dealer would only let me put 2G on credit card the rest of the down payment had to be by a certified check from my bank.
Old 05-30-2006 | 06:34 PM
VSA Rocks

Tustin Acura didn't accept my down payment via credit card and insisted on cash or check. The salesguy claimed they get charged too many fees for such a large purchase.
Old 05-30-2006 | 07:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Ha! Actually, I have no idea what my Amex limit is, (I haven't hit it yet?) but I was planning to find out. I'll have to find out about the monthly point limit, too. If I can't put the whole thing on there, I'd at least like to put as much as possible. I was planning to pay cash after I sell my truck, but any free points are good.

The fee they would be charged is exactly why I was wondering. They don't get any benefit from financing & they have to pay the cc company.

Thanks!
Depending on which AMEX card you have, you may not have a limit. The majority of gold or platinum AMEX cards actually have no credit limit.
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:17 PM
Instructor

thats cause they are charge cards and not credit cards
Old 05-30-2006 | 09:12 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Originally Posted by glott
thats cause they are charge cards and not credit cards
Bingo.
Old 05-30-2006 | 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Most dealerships will limit the payment to only a couple thousand on a credit card.
Both of the ones I went to allowed $5k.
Old 05-31-2006 | 06:48 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Sounds like they're all different, but I probably won't be able to put all of it on the card. It's good to have an idea of what's typical before I go in, though, so thanks for all the input!
Old 06-02-2006 | 10:13 AM
Earth-bound misfit

So, another question:

I've got an appointment this evening to go in to talk to the sales guy who I first test drove with a few weeks ago. I called yesterday to set it up because I saw on their website that they have the exact car I want on the lot. We talked several times & I gave my cc# to hold it in case I couldn't make it out today. Refundable of course.

Anyway, he left a message later giving me some bs about how his sales manager intends to sell the car at MSRP because it's a 6mt (ooo, rare) in a rare color (CGP - umm, the MOST common color they roll these out in, if I'm not mistaken).

There are 2 things I really hate. 1) People Wasting My Time. 2) Being treated like a fool. (fyi, xx chromosomes do not equal effing idiot even, and this may come as a shock, but even when purchasing a car.)

Their website shows 3 6MT's on the lot & I live in an area with plenty of other dealers.

My intention is to call him before I go & tell him that I intend to purchase a car much closer to the invoice end of the spectrum than MSRP & that if he can't work with that, then to please go ahead and refund my credit card.

Any other suggestions or information that I can go in armed with? I don't have time to re-read the entire "what are you paying" thread & "6mt" is too short a search term.

Anyone buy a 6mt in this area? Were you handed the same load of shit initially?
Old 06-02-2006 | 10:47 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Which dealer did you go to? I bought a 6MT with nav in RBP for 28,5+TTL at Radley, and that had to be special ordered (I waited two months). Could have gotten it for 28 even at Pohanka, Tischer, or Rosenthal but I felt the treatment I received from my salesman earned him the $500 tip. Radley also gives free oil changes and VA inspections for as long as I own the car which is sort of nice.

You don't need to go in armed with more information -- just tell him if he doesn't take your offer you're going elsewhere (name a specific other place) and give him only one chance to take it.
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:00 AM
Earth-bound misfit

I went to Pohanka. I've been looking around online; and Rosenthal & Chevy Chase both have the exact same car on the lot. Radley has a NBP, haven't checked Tischer. Thanks for the details - that's very helpful.
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:09 AM
Team Owner

So, another question:

I've got an appointment this evening to go in to talk to the sales guy who I first test drove with a few weeks ago. I called yesterday to set it up because I saw on their website that they have the exact car I want on the lot. We talked several times & I gave my cc# to hold it in case I couldn't make it out today. Refundable of course.

Anyway, he left a message later giving me some bs about how his sales manager intends to sell the car at MSRP because it's a 6mt (ooo, rare) in a rare color (CGP - umm, the MOST common color they roll these out in, if I'm not mistaken).

There are 2 things I really hate. 1) People Wasting My Time. 2) Being treated like a fool. (fyi, xx chromosomes do not equal effing idiot even, and this may come as a shock, but even when purchasing a car.)

Their website shows 3 6MT's on the lot & I live in an area with plenty of other dealers.

My intention is to call him before I go & tell him that I intend to purchase a car much closer to the invoice end of the spectrum than MSRP & that if he can't work with that, then to please go ahead and refund my credit card.

Any other suggestions or information that I can go in armed with? I don't have time to re-read the entire "what are you paying" thread & "6mt" is too short a search term.

IMO they're trying to establish a baseline for negotiations that is MSRP instead of invoice. Your job is to get the baseline back to invoice+plus. I think you've got the right plan. Tell them you're interested in the car at invoice plus, that you'd be willing to come there and buy it today if they meet your price, that you've got other dealers you can work with if they don't meet your price, and that the MT must not be THAT rare if they've got 3 of them sitting on their lot.
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:25 AM
VSA Rocks

So, another question:

That's really odd. 3 6MT's are most I've heard of on one lot. Here in SoCal, I had to claim mine when it was still on the boat.

While they are rare, the dealership acted like they were glad I was taking it off their hands. They fleet manager even told me, "We have a hard time selling manual transmissions for TL's and TSX's. I guess people in Orange County just don't want a luxury car with a stick shift." I ended up getting a great deal a few hundred over invoice with the aspec lip spoiler thrown in.

Have you tried using AAA or Costco car discount programs? I ended up using AAA as a starting point for negotiation. They are supposed to be "haggle free" and are low to begin with, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a few hundred less or have them sweeten the deal by throwing in the protection package, aspec, etc.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:53 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
That's really odd. 3 6MT's are most I've heard of on one lot.
True, most dealers around here just have 1 or 2 on the lot.

I just received a quote via email from another local dealer asking $28,5. It's funny, though because he's claiming he can't find a CGP anywhere in MD, VA, PA, or DE. Funny, I've found 3 so far. One of them on his lot! Ah well, the quote will help when dealing with the guy tonight.

Now, if I can just get them to let me put it on my card!
Old 06-02-2006 | 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

wndrlust, Pohanka is the worst, scummiest dealership of them all in the area. I'd MUCH sooner recommend Radley or Chevy Chase. I got mine at CC with zero BS factor, I named a price, salesman asked the manager if they could do the price, manager said yes, and that was the end of the dicussion. Other members have said the same about Radley.
Old 06-02-2006 | 01:24 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Bummer, because they're the closest to me out here in LoCo. Good to know though. Maybe I'll go ahead & call the guy at CC back to see if I can get him to notice the one he's got in stock.
Old 06-02-2006 | 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Well, keep in mind that even if you buy from Radley or Chevy Chase, you can still always get it serviced at Pohanka. It's worth the extra drive to get the good sales service.
Old 06-02-2006 | 02:14 PM
Team Owner

don't forget that dealer trades are done all the time. If its not in stock the dealer can trade for it with another dealer.