TSX projects luxury and class

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX projects luxury and class

What I find interesting is how the car projects to be more than it is. Case in point: I took a customer to lunch the other day and he asked how much my car was. Then he said "what is it, like $35,000?" He couldn't believe it when I told him. As a point of reference, he drives an S500.

Then tonight I picked my friend and his wife up at the airport. They were shocked at how nice my car was. "Did this cost like $40,000?" Uhhhh, nope. He drives a Subaru Forrester.

So based off those two responses, it would take a guy driving a Rolls to figure out how much the car really cost.

Even my Dad, who was in town last week, liked my car. He drives a T-Bird now but has owned several LS400s and a GS300 (wife). This guy doesn't like anything but his comment was: "you know, this is a nice car. I could get used to this. How much was this? Cheap."

It feels good to drive this kind of car. I can tell people I drive an Acura, not some overpriced yuppie-mobile. I have class without being pretentious, and I love describing my car as Acura's new entry-level sport sedan. Then when people see the car they shit. Based on the responses I have received with this car, the future for Acura is bright indeed.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought of the TSX as a huge stepping stone for acura into the prestige light. The car is excellent and can boldly stand next to the other luxury entry sedans. Acura can now position itself higher and higher, mainly depending on the TL now. I hope that Acura may succeed.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 AM
More On

Re: TSX projects luxury and class

Originally posted by Jason
......when people see the car they shit......
Old 08-22-2003, 02:38 AM
More On

.....It feels good to drive this kind of car......I have class without being pretentious......
Exactly. And I think you can add "smart." Sounds like all these people must be thinking you're that, too.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then when people see the car they shit. Based on the responses I have received with this car, the future for Acura is bright indeed.
Careful....those leather seats stain easily.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:45 AM
More On

I gotta take some English classes.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:47 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
I gotta take some English classes.
Do we really need FOUR pukey faces? Three perhaps? Or maybe two would have made your point? One is the ticket? Delete the post you say? Not a bad idea....
Old 08-22-2003, 02:48 AM
More On

Don't mega moderators have the power to delete puke posts if they want to?

Go ahead, purge the puke, if you prefer.

P.S. I just thought my post projected luxury and class.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:21 AM
Racer

Don't mega moderators have the power to delete puke posts if they want to?

Go ahead, purge the puke, if you prefer.

P.S. I just thought my post projected luxury and class.
like i said... crazy...
Old 08-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

It feels good to drive this kind of car. I can tell people I drive an Acura, not some overpriced yuppie-mobile. I have class without being pretentious, and I love describing my car as Acura's new entry-level sport sedan. Then when people see the car they shit. Based on the responses I have received with this car, the future for Acura is bright indeed.
I fully concur!

"Classy without being pretentious"... to be honest, that was a big plus on the side of the TSX as I considered the snobbier 325. Yeah, sure everyone knows you drive a BMW when you have one, but they instantly develop a stereotype of you that isn't usually positive. Acura doesn't instantly put you in the same category, and that is a good thing.

Great comment, Jason.

- the other Jason
Old 08-22-2003, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You know... I took a friend out to lunch yesterday to talk business and he is considering a new car. He rode in my (admittedly he is not a car nut) and his buddy's G35 4Dr. He couldn't believe that I said a bundle on my car and in his words, is just as nice if not nicer than the G35. I did inform him of the HP differences and such, but he was looking for a great value and reliability, specifically HP was not a concern to him.

I think that says a lot when someone so unbiased picks a TSX.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Racer

I think Honda/Acura engineers and analysts would be giving themselves high-5s if they read this. Well....except for the part where people are shitting themselves. I don't think they intended to create THAT kind of response.

Anyway, this car may not be the leader of the class but who cares!! There's a lot to be said about being a contender in any luxury segment! Before the TSX I don't think Acura was as well positioned to be a serious contender. This car found a great niche that a lot of other manufacturers missed completely. IMO what is most unique about the TSX is it's ability to draw serious attention from potential BMW and Audi buyers as well as VW and Mazda buyers.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:45 AM

Re: Re: TSX projects luxury and class

Originally posted by Santacruz
... IMO what is most unique about the TSX is it's ability to draw serious attention from potential BMW and Audi buyers as well as VW and Mazda buyers.
good point, seems like there are a bunch of ppl that traded up from VW to TSX because they wanted a reliable entry level-lux car. and there are also ppl that traded down from bmw/audi to get a reliable entry level-lux car
Old 08-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: TSX projects luxury and class

Originally posted by dabuda2004
....traded down from bmw/audi
They traded "over" not "down".
Old 08-22-2003, 10:30 AM
More On

Originally posted by moda_way
......I think that says a lot when someone so unbiased picks a TSX.
Yeah, we haven't heard a whole lot of stories like this yet, but it seems that EVERY time there's a story like this, the outside person really, really likes the TSX. We know from this board that besides us TSX fanatics, there are a number of people who don't like the car that much, and some who think it's almost terrible (or who say they think so) -- but most of the car-buying public is people like who Moda_way is talking about, and who Jason is talking about, and it seems they always love it. Of course these are the types of people who usually don't know much about the car yet, or who haven't even heard of it. If it's true that they'll love the TSX, then Honda's going to be able to sell a whole lot more than 15,000 per year pretty soon.

But I'm wondering: How often has anyone here had the OPPOSITE kind of experience with a friend or colleague that you showed the car to? How many of these people have been either very neutral or maybe even negative about the TSX? I'm not trying to stir up any stuff, and I'm sure anyway that the reaction have been at least PREDOMINANTLY positive, but I'm wondering if it's really been unanimous or almost unanimous, which is how it has seemed.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Almost everyone I work with talked shit about the car until they saw it and/or sat in it. Then, every one of them either liked the car or fell in love with it. Even my BMW-driving co-workers.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have class without being pretentious...
And how! That's what I like about the TSX. I love the 3 series and would consider one but to me the biggest drawback isn't the cost (the money, I can handle) it's the pretentiousness of BMW owners. I don't want to be lumped into that group...or worse yet, become one.

I know a guy who just rolled his Jetta so he wants to get a Mini (even though the wait is like 4 months). He said he wanted that mainly because it's cheap and has xenon headlights. He wants one optioned out to like $26K. So I asked him, "And your stuck on German cars"? Hoping I could bend his ear toward the TSX but his response was "I'd never buy a Japanese car."
I rolled my eyes and walked away. I'm sorry, but people like that irritate me too much.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

But I'm wondering: How often has anyone here had the OPPOSITE kind of experience with a friend or colleague that you showed the car to? How many of these people have been either very neutral or maybe even negative about the TSX? I'm not trying to stir up any stuff, and I'm sure anyway that the reaction have been at least PREDOMINANTLY positive, but I'm wondering if it's really been unanimous or almost unanimous, which is how it has seemed.
Good point. I'm interested as well. Who has had less-than-favorable results when showing off your car? I'm currious to see what people don't like about it.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

My reponses have mostly been good except for one who was neutral at best.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:55 AM

Yes the tsx is sooo amazing .I heard the 2005 tsx will be able to fly.weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 08-22-2003, 12:13 PM
More On

We need to keep Floozy, bad. No more talk about banning him.

I'm looking at the listing of threads, and I see that on this one, Floozy just did a post, and I'm thinking, hoo boy, what could this be? I bet he finally said something nice about the TSX! I just know it!!! And I could HARDLY WAIT to see what it was!!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Racer

We need to keep Floozy, bad. No more talk about banning him.

I'm looking at the listing of threads, and I see that on this one, Floozy just did a post, and I'm thinking, hoo boy, what could this be? I bet he finally said something nice about the TSX! I just know it!!! And I could HARDLY WAIT to see what it was!!!!!
yes...he's quite insiteful I'm always on the edge of my seat to read what NEW thing he'll come out with...I'm still waiting.

BAN THE TROLL!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:30 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Santacruz
yes...he's quite insiteful I'm always on the edge of my seat to read what NEW thing he'll come out with...I'm still waiting.

BAN THE TROLL!

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1847

Old 08-22-2003, 01:41 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Hoping I could bend his ear toward the TSX but his response was "I'd never buy a Japanese car."
I rolled my eyes and walked away. I'm sorry, but people like that irritate me too much.
And the difference between this attitude and the "I'd never buy a German car" attitude is what?

Understand that I have driven two Japanese Integras and a German A4 for ~50k-mi trouble-free and with a tremendous driving experience. I am considering the TSX... and the A4... and the new Legacy...

Some people's exuberance for the TSX is as ridiculous as others' exuberance for their BMW.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Skyhawk
And the difference between this attitude and the "I'd never buy a German car" attitude is what?

Understand that I have driven two Japanese Integras and a German A4 for ~50k-mi trouble-free and with a tremendous driving experience. I am considering the TSX... and the A4... and the new Legacy...

Some people's exuberance for the TSX is as ridiculous as others' exuberance for their BMW.
Very true. Some people are just as obsessed with the TSX as are others with BMW. I am of course willing to buy a german or japanese car. Just never an american car...
Old 08-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Instructor

My rules are:

American if I want a real truck

Japanese if I want long-term fun

German if I'm planning on getting rid of the car in the first 40K miles.

I'll buy either, and if they're free, they're definitely for me.. I'll take three!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro

"Yes the tsx is sooo amazing .I heard the 2005 tsx will be able to fly.weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" No, they're saving that for the obviously superior, boat-like family and grocery hauler, aka Honda Accord. It'll help all those soccer-moms run their errands faster. Say, are you a soccer mom?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

The difference is the "I'm better than a japanese car" retoric. The attitude I get from japanese owners is "join us, it's fun" the attitude I get from german owners is "I'm better than you because my car is german." Too many german car owners are only interested in what people think of their car. "I'll never buy a japanese car because I'm too classy for them" or some such nonsense. I was just going to suggest to him that there is a nice lux alternative to the overpriced german cars but because it's not german, it's not good enough for him.

I like german cars. I really like the 3 series. But I detest the attitude I get from most german car owners. I'll probably stick with japanese cars because of this. I don't want to be associated with that kind of arrogance.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:50 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

Re: Re: Re: Re: TSX projects luxury and class

The difference is the "I'm better than a japanese car" retoric. The attitude I get from japanese owners is "join us, it's fun" the attitude I get from german owners is "I'm better than you because my car is german." Too many german car owners are only interested in what people think of their car. "I'll never buy a japanese car because I'm too classy for them" or some such nonsense. I was just going to suggest to him that there is a nice lux alternative to the overpriced german cars but because it's not german, it's not good enough for him.

I like german cars. I really like the 3 series. But I detest the attitude I get from most german car owners. I'll probably stick with japanese cars because of this. I don't want to be associated with that kind of arrogance.
I think threads like this make that mantra of TSX aficionados look hypocritical on two fronts:

1) It appears that TSX drivers do care what others think of their rigs; if a German car driver appreciates compliments on his rig, he is shallow and superficial.

2) When TSX drivers start insisting their car is superior to German cars, they appear guilty of the same arrogance they claim to detest.

I am not trying to troll here, but -- akin to that recent fdl (as I recall) thread on "car-bashing" -- I see much of the same "attitude problem" on this board as I do on German car boards; it was not always like this (of course, I speak mainly of the pre-release days).

Above statements are general, not directed at the above-quoted; simply, that quote seemed a nice lead-in.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro

" think threads like this make that mantra of TSX aficionados look hypocritical on two fronts:

1) It appears that TSX drivers do care what others think of their rigs; if a German car driver appreciates compliments on his rig, he is shallow and superficial.

2) When TSX drivers start insisting their car is superior to German cars, they appear guilty of the same arrogance they claim to detest."

Hmm Interesting, but let's expand on that because there's more to it that is worth discussing further.

1) I believe it was the attitude that was the problem with the german car drivers being referred to, not the german car itself. I think the thread is also in relation to the oft referred to but not supported remark that the TSX is "bland" looking. Finally, of course people care about what others think of what they are driving... but the difference is that there's a LOT of German car owners seemingly obsessed with this aspect, whereas there's a LOT of other car owners where it's just another aspect.

2) I can easily say that the TSX is superior to, say, a BMW 325. And the facts back me up. BUT, when I say this, I am weighing all aspects of the car and how important each is, or is not, to me. So if someone says this and means it for themself, then it is not arrogance, it is fact. If they mean it as a blanket statement, then that's another story. But there are plenty of aspects where the TSX is superior to German cars.. but there are aspects where the opposite is true as well. To each their own.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TSX projects luxury and class

I think threads like this make that mantra of TSX aficionados look hypocritical on two fronts:

2) When TSX drivers start insisting their car is superior to German cars, they appear guilty of the same arrogance they claim to detest.

I am not trying to troll here, but -- akin to that recent fdl (as I recall) thread on "car-bashing" -- I see much of the same "attitude problem" on this board as I do on German car boards; it was not always like this (of course, I speak mainly of the pre-release days).

Above statements are general, not directed at the above-quoted; simply, that quote seemed a nice lead-in.
I don't own a TSX. I'm in the market so I'm looking at all cars. I'm not looking at just japanese cars. I'm just looking for the best car that suites my wants/needs. This other guy is also in the market for a new car...but because the TSX is not german, he won't even consider it.

It's one thing for someone to appreciate their car; japanese, german or otherwise.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=appreciate
But these people aren't "appreciating" their cars when they make comments like that. They're depreciating other cars to make their choice seem better.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arrogant
I never told that guy to buy a specific car. I wanted suggest that there were other good cars out there. Appreciate However, he did find the need to belittle a specific type of car in favor of his choice. Arrogence

I have never said a japanese car is better than a german car and very few people here have. You'll find lots of posts from TSX owners who appreciate their cars but very few of them have bashed other cars to make the point. However, if you go to any BMW forum, you'll find tons of threads talking about what POSes other cars are compared to BMW.

This is the experience I've had. Like it or leave it...it's my opinion.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vitocorleone

1) I believe it was the attitude that was the problem with the german car drivers being referred to, not the german car itself. I think the thread is also in relation to the oft referred to but not supported remark that the TSX is "bland" looking. Finally, of course people care about what others think of what they are driving... but the difference is that there's a LOT of German car owners seemingly obsessed with this aspect, whereas there's a LOT of other car owners where it's just another aspect.

2) I can easily say that the TSX is superior to, say, a BMW 325. And the facts back me up. BUT, when I say this, I am weighing all aspects of the car and how important each is, or is not, to me. So if someone says this and means it for themself, then it is not arrogance, it is fact. If they mean it as a blanket statement, then that's another story. But there are plenty of aspects where the TSX is superior to German cars.. but there are aspects where the opposite is true as well. To each their own.
#1. True. It was about the attitudes german car owners. It was in no way comparing the cars.

#2. As long as you stress the "to me" part of "I can easily say that the TSX is superior to, say, a BMW 325." I'll agree with you. I would hesitate to say the TSX is superior to a 325. They are two great cars in a very competative segment.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Racer

I've only had one person comment that the car cost too much for what it was. The other 'negative' comment was about my sunroof visor. Everyone else I've talked to has really liked it.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

It feels good to drive this kind of car. I can tell people I drive an Acura, not some overpriced yuppie-mobile. I have class without being pretentious...
Bingo! Being classy IS without being pretentious. I couldn't have said it better myself! There's an understated quality to classiness.

The flip side is that some people feel that to be classy you have to be pretentious. No, no, no, not in my most humblest of opinions.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Racer

Originally posted by vitocorleone
I think the thread is also in relation to the oft referred to but not supported remark that the TSX is "bland" looking.
Im not sure how new you are to these forums but i distinctively remember a thread about this. I think most all agreed that the car is bland however it is a good thing because the car will not look old 5 years from now. However like like the g35 coupe will.

I personally called it bland because its styling is derived from the RSX, Accord, and the Civic. It is one thing to be derived from a car that is on top but another to be from the bottom. The fact is the car does not stand out much. Case in point from the other thread many have agreed that from a distance it is hard to tell if it is a TSX. (of course there are fanatics who can) However it is easier to tell if its a BMW or Mercedes then a TSX. The car parked next to an audi, bmw, mercedes, or lexus will stand out only because it may be different and new. However the other cars will shine and appeal more with their designs. (at least from what ive seen, and a lot of people agreed)

However the fact is that the TSX being bland is purely subjective. Although a lot of magazines tend to agree for i think the same reasons i do. However the car being bland once again isn't always a bad thing. I do agree that in 5 years from now i would hate to be driving a car that looks old and out of style. While for the TSX i know it will still look good.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:02 PM
ySL
Advanced

It feels good to drive this kind of car. I can tell people I drive an Acura, not some overpriced yuppie-mobile. I have class without being pretentious
all this snob appeal talk is overrated...I love my TSX, but I'd take the c230 or 325i over it anyday....the TSX to me projects a sporty new car with Honda affordability and reliability more so than a classy car "without being pretentious."
Old 08-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TSX projects luxury and class

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arrogant
I never told that guy to buy a specific car. I wanted suggest that there were other good cars out there. Appreciate However, he did find the need to belittle a specific type of car in favor of his choice. Arrogence
[/B]

if you're going to link to a werd on dictionary.com, please speel it rite!
Old 08-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ySL
all this snob appeal talk is overrated...I love my TSX, but I'd take the c240 or 325i over it anyday....the TSX to me projects a sporty new car with Honda affordability and reliability more so than a classy car "without being pretentious."
C240??? dood i understand the C230 or C320 but why a C240??? That thing is slow v6 with the same gas comsuption has a powerful v6. 160hp... The c230 with a v4 produces 189hp and saves more gas. I am not willing to take a 325i over the TSX though, even if the price was the same. However i will take the 330i or a C320 at the same price. Seems you like the snob appeal which is cool. But if you stick with Acura sooner or later the snob appeal will come.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

One can only guess what "bland" really means. I think the TSX is quite a handsome car. It's styling does fly in the face who like something new or really different, but like what others have said, the TSX will still look good five or ten years from now. That's exactly what has happened with my 1990 champagne-silver 2-door Accord. Yes, it qualifies as bland, but its lines are clean and trim. It looks like new to this day even though it has gone 108,000 miles and is 13 years old. I got a lot of positive comments when the car was new (even from strangers), and I still get positive comments to this day. Here is a picture of the same car:

1990 Honda Accord 2-door

During lunch today, I walked past an '03 2-door Accord. It looks very puffy bloated--kind of like a puffy blow-fish. 10 years from now, it will still look puffy and bloated. It will probably look more amusing than ugly. (Remember the puffy Rambler-Nash Cosmopolitans from the late 50's?)
Old 08-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Nice accord brad, I agree man... Most Accords seem to look good even 10-15 years down the line if taken care of. As for the TSX, I think it will also look good 10-15 years down the line without a doubt..... This may sound crazy but I think the TSX is the best looking ACURA ever made!

Quick Reply: TSX projects luxury and class