TSX paid off. Decided not to get EVO. Instead taking out loan to tune TSX.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX paid off. Decided not to get EVO. Instead taking out loan to tune TSX.

After paying off my TSX mom and dad helped LOL, I was gunna take out another loan to get an 2003-2005 Evolution 8 but I am starting to like TSX more and more everyday so I wanna make the TSX as sick as possible.

Parts I plan to get this summer.

Varianza Schwert SC1 19inch (if taking out loan why not? go big or go home)
Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Trunk
Maybe Carbon Fiber Doors (last thing on my list)
Another Stock Spolier
Supercharger+Reflash
Skunk2 Mega Power Exhaust (I like the sound)
CT header
Spring Kit to make it look right with the 19's
Injen Intake
Widebody Kit

thats all I plan to do cause I am afraid to open up the engine.

Last edited by psengsouriya; 01-19-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Racer

damn those are some intense snow!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Advanced

will I have to worry about getting this car stolen with all those mods?

I think securiy will be an issue. 4sure
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Taking out a loan to mod a car is purely idiotic.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I'm with Luke here. Going into debt to buy frivolous, heavily depreciating parts sounds like a remarkably bad idea.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
not idiotic in my situation bro

a brand new TSX was like 30k brand new 35k with 5 year paying it off...
well mine cost only 21k with 17,000 miles mint. I was first owner and I know an old lady owned it before me so its good. I saw gray hairs in the floormats when I was cleaning them hahahaha.

plus It's like I got my TSX free... My parents helped me buy my TSX I used to make the payments not anymore... I figured out they just wanted me to earn enough cash for the downpayment to let me know how it feel like earning something in life instead of having it handed to you.

it's one third of that...

it's only 10,000 loan... its like buying a honda civic or something lol

I have no loans out why would this be crazy?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I have to agree with the other posters. You are very lucky-all my children had to pay for their own cars-no help from me. How much downpayment did you actually make since you say you got the tsx for free. Parents paid most of it which to means handed to you.
Are you going to make all the payments on this loan or will the parents help you again.
Since you will not like my answer either-do what you want.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+3 on taking out a loan to mod.
you need to learn and save money.... ask ur parents what they think about your loan plan. whats the point of going big? its not gonna pay you back in any form...
your 20 yrs old..... what about college? ever think about saving for that. that will definitely pay you back. i know your probably gonna respond thinking you know what your doing and ur old enough to think on your own. trust us, dont waste your $$$

Last edited by goon54; 01-19-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.. let him spend the money the way he wants to! No one here is his advisor and he didnt even ask for advice. Since he's 20 i would think he should be in college already.. and if not, the loan has nothing to do with college because most likely his parents would end up paying for that anyway. There are always college grants/loans/etc. But on another note.. I'd stick with the super charger but dump the reflash.. get the K-Pro instead. Its a better tuning option than the reflash by far. Also lookin into something other than a shorty header.. look at the mugen full exhaust system and you could replace the highflow cat with a T1R straight pipe. Or try the toda header.. it replaces the cat as well with a straight pipe. Wide body i'd stay away from..bondo doesnt hold up too good.. and they dont make wide body kits for the TSX so you'd be using bondo to fabricate a kit that will end up cracking and looking bad. Good luck build away.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by psengsouriya
.My parents helped me buy my TSX I used to make the payments not anymore... I figured out they just wanted me to earn enough cash for the downpayment to let me know how it feel like earning something in life instead of having it handed to you.
Parenting fail.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
How about getting a job and buying your toys with cash you have in your pocket? Plus aren't you the one that put "cheap ass auto store cans" on for your exhaust and now you want to take out a 10K loan to "go big"? Also the same one who said why do you care you are going to give it to your sister anyway?

To each his own I suppose, none of us can tell you want to do, but I can say I'd definitely do it differently.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Take out a loan to take finance classes instead?

I agree with everyone else. I don't know you, and I don't care about you one bit, but that would be a stupid decision for anyone to make.

Car parts should be from extra money or any saving that you had done, not debt.

I guess I care enough to tell you that....
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
ridiculously good looking

why only $10,000?? Go big or go home!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Let him do whatever he wants. It's not my money.

Some people need to actually do stuff and find it out by themselves if they wasted money or not.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced

I graduate my 2 year electronics engineering technology degree next semester

yes I am in school... Ive been going for 2 year and to all the summer sessions I am about to finish this semester and I plan to go to community college for Automotive next school year... and I am planning to do another 2 year of community college after that cause I need job security cause the way the economy is.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by clee109
How about getting a job and buying your toys with cash you have in your pocket? Plus aren't you the one that put "cheap ass auto store cans" on for your exhaust and now you want to take out a 10K loan to "go big"? Also the same one who said why do you care you are going to give it to your sister anyway?

To each his own I suppose, none of us can tell you want to do, but I can say I'd definitely do it differently.
YES, I am and its sounds fine... check it out at youtube.com and type in hondamuffeler. I saved about 500 dollars on doing it rather than getting something els.
READ, bro I am not getting an EVOlUTION 8 anymore, If I would have gotten an EVO 8 I would have gave this car to my sister.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced

I just want thoughts on better parts and how I will get better performance

I just want thoughts on better parts and how I will get better performance.
I am pretty sure you took out a loan to get your TSX... I am looking what I have (TSX) and not looking at what I dont have (Evolution 8)
Stop trying to be financial advisors.

10k loan to make a tsx look really nice vs 20k loan EVO 8

Last edited by psengsouriya; 01-19-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
JDM Addict

I am pretty sure you took out a loan to get your TSX
better parts?
ditch the widebody kit idea.
ditch your hacked up exhaust.
ditch the springs idea.
either get coilovers or air.

skunk 2 is not a good choice for "better parts."
neither is the CT header.

you say you want to go big or go home.
so do it.

don't go part way and fail, actually go big.

so go JDM. Mugen, J's Racing, etc.

and p.s. plan to make the loan bigger than $10k if you wish to "go big."
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we're not being financial advisors..
its more in the line of COMMON F-ing Sense..........
you talk about the economy, job security, and a 10k loan to mod a car..............
think it over twice before u sign on the dotted line
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

How long is it going to take to pay off that 10k loan?

My point is, you're going to spend more money than actually saving for each part and then buying. If you can afford a 10k part loan then paying for parts individual shouldn't be a problem. With the interest of a personal loan, you'll be spending at least another grand on interest. Use that money and go bigger.

19" are too big. If you're putting in performance parts, mine as well keep lighter fast wheels on (20lbs isn't heavy but it is for that price). Exhaust could be way better. The rest is ok but you really can upgrade each item on the list with the money you save from no interest.

I know I'm being a financial advisor but you posted on a public forum. You need to expect comments, insults, opinions and advice if its duely needed. In this case is a perspective that you might want to consider looking into.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you'll still be paying that loan off long after the car is gone if you do that. I'll eat my shoe if I'm wrong.

And just precisely what bank will dole out $10k to some kid looking to put parts on his car these days? Or did I miss something? You talking credit cards here?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Once you get out of school, you are going to need money to live on your own. I don't think mom and dad will want to subsidize you anymore after you graduate. I know you don't want to hear it anymore, but you should save this money for when you really need it. If this many people are giving you the same advice, maybe you should think about it and consider whey they are saying this.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
it's your life, your money, your choice.

me personally, i started modding the tsx again recently because i felt the urge to buy a new car. i told myself it would be cheaper to continue modding, rather than buy something right now

although, i paid cash for all my parts
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing I'd do is post in the right forum
Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I hear this exhaust makes insane HP!!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Unregistered User

Dude... come on. I am 19 and parents also helped me to buy my car. $10 000 from me, $3.500 from them. I am not going to go into debt to buy mods. I buy them with extra cash. If you are THAT urgent to look cool and brag to others about stuff u have done to the car, sell it and use extra cash to buy 94 Civic and mod it with extra cash. Also, dont forget about branded stickers and hood scoop. They add enormous power at almost no cost. Stock wing? thats also for suckers. Get 1 that is at least a foot high and made of carbon. good luck mate !
Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Racer

I am pretty sure you took out a loan to get your TSX... I am looking what I have (TSX) and not looking at what I dont have (Evolution 8)

10k loan to make a tsx look really nice vs 20k loan EVO 8
Many are not trying to be advisors. They are just looking at it from the point of possibly being older and have made decisions in life that if they had a little more life experience they may have done differently. That's it. They are trying to stop you from making a bad decision. My father says I am stupid for modding my car and that it's not worth it and you know what...when I am his age I may look back and say he was right...but we all have to get to that point to be able to look back and see the choices we made. Anyway. Enough wisdom.
I am a financial advisor and the way you are looking to mod your car (by taking a loan) is not a smart way to go. Save for the parts, pay cash or credit (if you have the money to pay off at the end of the month...get the points!!) and do it that way.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:12 PM
East Coast Crew

Taking a loan out to modify a car is stupid. You're better off taking that loan and invest it.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Let him do whatever he wants.

Some people don't learn by listening, they learn by actually doing it. It may turn out great, or he may wish he didn't sign on a dotted line after he is stuck with a 10k loan.

Whichever it may end up, it is a part of life, and you live and learn.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd like to know what bank would approve a 20yr student a $10K loan to mod a car; and if so at what interest rate. Let's say for example OP took out a personal loan from B of A. Last time I checked, their interest rate for a personal loan was 11.99%.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Save your money, believe me when you get out of school and start having to pay for bills you will be glad you dont have a "mod payment".

And if your thinking of using a student loan to mod your car that is probably the worst idea ever...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Do NOT go into debt to mod a car, are you kidding me? Midas well pile up all your money and burn it.

If you can't afford to cashflow the mods you can't afford them. Going into debt on something like that is setting yourself up and setting a precedent that could lead to financial disaster.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Advanced

My opinion? The TSX (and most other Acura's) are Fine just as they are. While some may disagree with me, I think putting all those mods on a nice luxury car will diminish it's value. The only "luxury" cars that have had mods done to em that never bugged me are the Integra and IS300.

If you have $10,000 to burn, pick up a Gen 5 or Gen 6 Civic with high miles (that'll likely run 3,500) drop in a B16, B18. ($500-$1300). Get a nice Intake/Headers/Exhaust (figure $1700). Do some suspension work and a 4 lug to 5 lug conversion and get some 17" rims and tires. Through in a full body paint job if the exterior is in rough shape. For some niceness pop in a fold out indash nav system and a decent speaker set up. If you want pure performance through in a turbo (tho not only will that up the price, gase mileage will go down to about 13mpg).

That was my first Honda BTW. A 1994 Civic EX with a B16 pulled from a wrecked 6th gen Si. It was an awesome car and fast as hell. Then I got older and got the TL, the TL was slower and didn't handle nearly as well, but I was beyond that. I got to the point that I needed a reliable car that didn't make car alarms go off as I drove past em. I just picked up my TSX last month and I feel the car is perfect as it is. It's such an unassuming badass ride, it can be fun as hell when pushed, but also doesn't get any second glances by cops. Putting mods on this car will take the Clark Kent out of it and essentially put a "pull me over" sticker on your car. I dealt with it with the Civic and personally don't wish to go back. Like I said, if you want to burn 10 Grand, build up a Civic and drive it when you wanna have fun or show off, but the TSX is, in my opinion, perfect as it is.

OH, you can also get an Integra as opposed to the Civic if you wanna go down that route. Same mods will work with that car.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Just trade in the TSX and take out another 10G loan and get a nice car. Or a fast car if thats what you're modding for. The TSX is nice, but 10 grand on a 4 banger to make it fast or look like fast and the furious is retarded. Plus once you start doing all that crap to it reliability is going to go down.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Racer

what does it matter what he does with his money. if he gets a loan at a low interest rate and pays it off every month its just like he got the loan to buy a car, considering that he didn't pay for his tsx. I rather do one thing at a time and pay cash but if you can get the loan(at a low rate) and can pay it off than go for it. Have fun its only $10 000 its not gunna ruin your life. with a regular part time job you can pay that off in a few years. if you wanted to do something smart with that 10 000 than you could put a down payment on some real estate and keep it for when your older(but what fun is that??)
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
My advise, if you must go back into debt than put it towards buying a better car, not modifying the one you have.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Racer

Just don't be in debt to begin with. Save your money.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Actually, yeah, if you really wanna go fast, in style, pick up an 09 TL SH-AWD, IS350, or G35. Maybe wait for the fabled up coming J37/K23 powered 2010 TSX-R/SH-AWD.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10k? good luck with all your plans with that! if you're gonna go big as you say, you're looking at at LEAST 20k.

Quick Reply: TSX paid off. Decided not to get EVO. Instead taking out loan to tune TSX.