TSX Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Overrated?

Don't get me wrong.. i'm fairly happy with my TSX, however, recently I have been second guessing my choice. I love the ride, style, interior, and many other aspects.. but I'm not sure if it's the car for me anymore. My initial thoughts about it have fallen to the way side. I think my biggest complaint is the lack of power. My previous car was a Honda Civic, so my initial reaction to the power was a positive one. After driving it a while now, and having driven a few of my friends cars.. I'm not as impressed. I know it's not speed machine, but I am just bummed about that and the cost of parts/labor. (might have well bought an Audi or Porsche with those damn costs.) Anyway, I'm considering selling it, as it's only a year old and I'm sure I could get a good amount for it. I'm just not feeling it like I initially did. Maybe I was over zealous about owning an Acura. I'm not sure. Anybody have any thoughts on this topic or struggled with something like this?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
4th Gear

I feel the TSX is a little underpowered as well. If I could do it again id probably save some more money and get the TL. But I love the styling of the car almost more than the TL and way more than any 3-series BMW. As far as parts and labor, I do as much as I can on my own, I havent had to ever take it in for maintenance so far. Plus you know you get more girls with that TSX than you did in your Civic.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I hate chomp...

To be honest with you, yea. When I first purchased the car I was enamored with the fact of simply having a new car. After a while of driving under various circumstances and recalling past cars I've had, I became bored of the TSX. But I ultimately reached a point in where I realized I never bought this car to be a speed demon. It's slow on paper, and it's slow on a test drive. These are things you have to know. Instead of knocking it for what I knew it NEVER had since day one, I embraced it for what it does well, which is so many things. I've come full circle and love the car and I'm very happy/ pleased with my decision to get it.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
What cost of parts and labor? Your car is only a year old?

And what makes you think an Audi will be any less expensive? Or a Porsche? Don't make me laugh...

Sure you may get a little more "power" out of it, but you'll be paying for it in a lot of ways.

It just sounds to me like the TSX is not well suited to your desires, but don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be doing yourself a favor in terms of costs or repairs by going with either make that you mentioned.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I can see how AT owners might think it was underpowered, but I think this is mainly a matter of gearing. The AT gears in the TSX are fairly tall.

As an MT owner, I came over from a turbocharged motor (1.8T, more torque than TSX but not quite as much at high RPM) and was skeptical before I test drove it. But, the gearing more than makes up for it. It's got more pep than anything else I drove, including the Audi A4 2.0T which has 40 more lb-ft of torque (207 vs 166 or so in the TSX).

I do miss my old 5th gear on the highway sometimes...

(then again, I could drive around in 5th gear all the time and still have more oomph, too)
Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM
05' NHB TSX

Are you serious? You think Acura has high cost on parts and labor?

Aren't you still under warranty?

Or did you let the dealer trick you in those weekly $500 maintance jobs? Look at your car's manual and follow the maintance guide in it. Don't use the oil change sticker reminder and don't let them talk you into doing services you don't need.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
What cost of parts and labor? Your car is only a year old?

And what makes you think an Audi will be any less expensive? Or a Porsche? Don't make me laugh...
Yeah, I think I have to cry on this, too.

My TSX documentation included the full maintenance schedule and costs for the first 100,000, and it's about 1/2 of what it was for my Jetta. Audi's are even more expensive to service.

Also, the TSX has a timing chain rather than a belt. My Jetta needed one at 75,000 miles, but the the car was totaled just before I had it done. ( ) It would have cost $1200 just for that one service.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DC82
To be honest with you, yea. When I first purchased the car I was enamored with the fact of simply having a new car. After a while of driving under various circumstances and recalling past cars I've had, I became bored of the TSX. But I ultimately reached a point in where I realized I never bought this car to be a speed demon. It's slow on paper, and it's slow on a test drive. These are things you have to know. Instead of knocking it for what I knew it NEVER had since day one, I embraced it for what it does well, which is so many things. I've come full circle and love the car and I'm very happy/ pleased with my decision to get it.
You know you make a good point. It's definitely not a speed demon. However, ironically, I got more chicks with my civic. I asked this one chick at work if she liked the new car and she told me she missed my civic (modded and riced). Oh well.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll tell you what, since my 04 MT is in the shop, I've been driving an 07 AT. And not only does the AT suck, but an unmodded TSX to me is really boring. Dont get me wrong though, I was really surprised again how it handles in stock form. Its the perfect blend of sport and comfort and I actually kind of miss the ride that the stock suspension provides over my Tein basics. One of the main reasons why I bought the car in the first place.

But man, that AT is just horrible. It just seems like it struggles especially at highway speeds. Its really amazing how much the 6MT makes this car what it should be. And yea, I know you can select gears in SS mode (which I've been doing), but the power just isnt there. And honestly, if I were only looking at AT's I dont think the TSX would be on my list anymore.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rb1
I can see how AT owners might think it was underpowered, but I think this is mainly a matter of gearing. The AT gears in the TSX are fairly tall.

As an MT owner, I came over from a turbocharged motor (1.8T, more torque than TSX but not quite as much at high RPM) and was skeptical before I test drove it. But, the gearing more than makes up for it. It's got more pep than anything else I drove, including the Audi A4 2.0T which has 40 more lb-ft of torque (207 vs 166 or so in the TSX).

(then again, I could drive around in 5th gear all the time and still have more oomph, too)

agree'd. Should of gotten a MT instead of an AT ;] would be much better if you have Hondata also ;]
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by rb1

Are you serious?? I don't know what Audi you were driving then because the A4 2.0T does a 6.5 second 0-60, which is over a second better than the TSX, and does the quarter mile in 15 seconds, which is also just about a second better. It beats the TSX in every single performance catergory other than Slalom. If the TSX is overrater at all it's because you get some "wishfull thinkers" who make such statements. Don't take anythign away from the car, but also don't give it too much either. It is what it is. The car does exactly what it needs to do and it does it very well. If you know what the cars meant to do, and it suits your needs, you will not be dissappointed.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I test drove the TSX 6 speed a while back and the low power was the reason I didnt go with it. Everything else fits like white on rice. Acura has got to get on the ball.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
For the money, I think the TSX is a wonderful car. I have an 06 moded Miata if I need REAL fun. I have an AT and the power is plenty for me. I don't use my cars for drag racing, but in regular traffic the TSX holds its on.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt

But man, that AT is just horrible. It just seems like it struggles especially at highway speeds. Its really amazing how much the 6MT makes this car what it should be. And yea, I know you can select gears in SS mode (which I've been doing), but the power just isnt there. And honestly, if I were only looking at AT's I dont think the TSX would be on my list anymore.
gotta agree, the AT in stock form needs to have its neck wrung to eek out a living. Getting the right mix of parts (headers, Comptech Icebox) absolutely alleviates that for me. I'm as fast and nimble now as my 5MT Integra, which had I/H upgrades as well.

But to be completely honest, I think driving the AT in SS takes as much learning on the drivers part as does initially learning a car characteristics in stick. there is an art to getting AT to do things. It just sucks (for the 5at) that its 6MT stablemate is one of the finest on the market. It still good against other tiptronic style transmissions, such as BMW's steptronic, Volvo's, previous generation G35's, among the ones that I've driven.....but 6MT > 5AT in most situations.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm pretty happy w/ my TSX and i don't think it's overrated at all if you're look for a good blend of luxury, power, styling, and price.

i'm surprised you'd think maintenance is costly. honda products are very reliable. and they're all honda parts, so i don't see why it'd be anymore expensive than maintaining a honda unless the prices are inflated strictly b/c of the branding (acura).

if i wanted power, i would've purchased something else. like a g35.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dwest1023
For the money, I think the TSX is a wonderful car. I have an 06 moded Miata if I need REAL fun. I have an AT and the power is plenty for me. I don't use my cars for drag racing, but in regular traffic the TSX holds its on.
It just makes me feel old. I don't know. Reminds me of my grandfather's Chrisler New Yorkers and shit... It's nice.. and i love it. I know I sound like I hate the damn thing. But I do need some power for heaven's sake.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^+1 I was given my first 04 AT TSX for free so it was obviously an awesome car for me....especially since i came from an 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z24 (i do miss her though ). When i traded it in, i could have easily gone with something else but i honestly really thought the car was the perfect cross between luxury and sport....at least for me. I knew it wasn't that fast, but the 06 AT is def better than the 04 AT. Yea it could use about 20-30 more HP, but it wasn't designed for that and we knew it up front so oh well. I love it!!

And for the comment about that girl liking your ricer civic more than your TSX
Old 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX

And for the comment about that girl liking your ricer civic more than your TSX

Trust me.. I was like.. "WTF??!" I guess it just doesn't have that "stand out" look. I love my baby though, just not sure how much longer I'll have it.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Napkin
It just makes me feel old. I don't know. Reminds me of my grandfather's Chrisler New Yorkers and shit... It's nice.. and i love it. I know I sound like I hate the damn thing. But I do need some power for heaven's sake.
No knock against you, but it really weird that people go into buying the TSX and now want power. Every review and every opinion says otherwise for the 4 years its been on the market.

I think the power argument has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum for a couple of years now. Come to think of it, its gripe on every Honda/Acura, and that's been the prevailing (and unfounded) opinion for years on many other automotive magazine and forum. I don't see why people would believe the TSX to be any different.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
No knock against you, but it really weird that people go into buying the TSX and now want power. Every review and every opinion says otherwise for the 4 years its been on the market.

I think the power argument has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum for a couple of years now. Come to think of it, its gripe on every Honda/Acura, and that's been the prevailing (and unfounded) opinion for years on many other automotive magazine and forum. I don't see why people would believe the TSX to be any different.
Nuff said
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

I miss my 96 Integra.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Oh great, another "I hate the TSX AT" thread and more buyers remorsing.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

I miss my 96 Integra.
The TSX is faster than your 96 integra. Trust me, I had a 98 integra 5MT.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Are you serious?? I don't know what Audi you were driving then because the A4 2.0T does a 6.5 second 0-60, which is over a second better than the TSX, and does the quarter mile in 15 seconds, which is also just about a second better.
I didn't say the TSX was faster, I said it seemed more responsive (e.g. in everyday driving versus flat out racing), and I think you're quoting DSG times there versus the MT.

I thought the A4 with the MT that I drove was a dog. The car is heavier and gear for gear the ratios are 10-15% taller than those in the TSX, which pretty much kills the fun factor.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Cruisin'

The Integra was definitely faster. Stock too.. but I modded the hell out of it and it schooled nearly everything.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
It must've schooled your dignity too

I would think there'd be quite a difference especially due to the weight factor, but I'm not sure, I've driven my friend's stock 96 Integra Coupe, completely stock, and I'd have to say that my TSX is much faster. :|
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Audi A4 2.0T 6MT, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds per Car & Driver, only fractionally faster than the TSX, (and a Hondata TSX is faster... )

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...tro-page4.html
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
White-Ebony-6spd

Was he referring to the LS or GSR?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

The Integra was definitely faster. Stock too.. but I modded the hell out of it and it schooled nearly everything.
My mistake, you probably had a GSR, a modded one at that?? I had an 5MT LS, and my TSX is now faster, and has an easier time doing it than my LS. I had/have I/H on both cars, and my LS some lightweight rims as well, but my TSX is faster overall.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by khmy2nr
Was he referring to the LS or GSR?
A GSR. I wasn't comparing the two, by the way.. just missing it's power.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by rb1
Audi A4 2.0T 6MT, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds per Car & Driver, only fractionally faster than the TSX, (and a Hondata TSX is faster... )

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...tro-page4.html
Your link doesn't work btw.

Read this article.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2482

Compared with the Volvo's 2.5-liter 5-cylinder turbo, the smaller Audi engine more than acquits itself, delivering its power in a smoother, slightly more linear fashion than its Scandinavian counterpart. Interestingly, the S40 feels a touch quicker on the road, probably due to its torque advantage (236 lb.-ft. versus 207 lb.-ft.), but at the drag strip, the Audi's flatter powerband proves more effective to 60 mph (6.4 vs. 6.8 seconds). Also helping is a slicker-shifting gearbox that makes it easier and more pleasant to negotiate the gears.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Your link doesn't work btw.

I just tried it again from this thread and it worked fine...

but from earlier in the article:

Track-test numbers confirm the A4's new attitude: 0 to 60 has quickened almost a full second to 7.2, from 8.1. The pressurized four keeps pulling through the quarter, too, up 5 mph in trap speed to 92. ET is quicker by 0.7 second at 15.5.
Anyway, I drove an Audi one day, and a TSX the next (which I bought). Sure, the Audi might be faster when romped on, but I was completely unimpressed with it. My Jetta 1.8T was much more fun to drive even with 50 fewer ponies. It's all in the gearing, and to me tall gears are

Also in that same article about the A4:

...The new four is strong all the time, for a 2.0-liter, but it gives plenty of encouragement to work the lever. In hilly sections, fifth and sixth gears are really too long for speeds under 40 mph (1400 rpm in sixth, 1700 in fifth). The engine makes grunting sounds down low in the range, too.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I hate chomp...

[QUOTE=rb1...The new four is strong all the time, for a 2.0-liter, but it gives plenty of encouragement to work the lever. In hilly sections, fifth and sixth gears are really too long for speeds under 40 mph (1400 rpm in sixth, 1700 in fifth). The engine makes grunting sounds down low in the range, too.
[/QUOTE]
What does that have to do with anything? I never said the engine was bulletproof, rather, just illustrating that the car performed at a different level than the TSX.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:32 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

What does that have to do with anything? I never said the engine was bulletproof, rather, just illustrating that the car performed at a different level than the TSX.
It illustrates my point about the A4 gearing being too tall, which affects everyday driveability and responsiveness more than it does flat-out racing performance.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by rb1
It illustrates my point about the A4 gearing being too tall, which affects everyday driveability and responsiveness more than it does flat-out racing performance.
Which is fine because that is obvious, that wasn't even what I was debating. I brought up the article to show you the difference in performance numbers between the two, not the gearing.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Instructor

I just don't get the whole power issue. It's a 4 cylinder GET OVER IT! I think it is plenty fast enough....but I am also not a speed demon. My CL-P was just as slow as this car or at least it felt that way.

The car is one of the best looking and well built vehicles on the road today.

I did go to the post office today and some middle-aged woman pulled up next to me in the exact car and color....I got chills.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by billabong05

The car is one of the best looking and well built vehicles on the road today.

I did go to the post office today and some middle-aged woman pulled up next to me in the exact car and color....I got chills.
I agree...but that is funny...musta been one coool middle-aged woman
Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I like the TSX with 6mt but its by no means my dream car. If I could afford a 335 coupe however...thats what would be in my garage.

The only real gripe I have with my TSX is that driver's seat creaks like a 100 year old wood floor when you shift your weight going around a corner, and that I put a huge ding in the front lip the 2nd day I had the car. The car has always pissed me off a little since I did that, but obviously not the car's fault.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Which is fine because that is obvious, that wasn't even what I was debating. I brought up the article to show you the difference in performance numbers between the two, not the gearing.
I never said the TSX was faster, but evidently you incorrectly assumed this was what I was saying when I said it had more "pep", which is directly related to the gearing, hence my point.

The TSX is more fun to drive , even if it will lose the drag race, which is the only point I intended to make.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by rb1
I never said the TSX was faster, but evidently you incorrectly assumed this was what I was saying when I said it had more "pep", which is directly related to the gearing, hence my point.

The TSX is more fun to drive , even if it will lose the drag race, which is the only point I intended to make.
You're right....I wrongfully assumed by you saying the car had more "pep", meant that it was "faster" in your opinion. Your're so right..."pep" is directly related to gearing...thats common knowledge, I should have known.

Quick Reply: TSX Overrated?