TSX or IS250 ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX or IS250 ?????

I need a commuter car for work and was debating between a TSX or IS250. There was a thread on IS300.net, but it got a little ridiculous comparing the 2. I just wanted some feedback (yes I did use the search) from the TSX side. Not sure if anyone has driven the new IS, but I owned a 1st Gen and the new one seems a bit more refined. Not too familiar with the TSX….last Acura I owned was my G2 Legend coupe.

Thanks….and look forward to hearing some unbiased views……
Old 01-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Pro

If you can afford lexus, go for lexus!
If i can afford lexus, would i go for lexus, no, because i cannot justify paying more for a car just for the name, and few extra options that doesnt mean much to me.
my suggestion is to drive both of them, then and only then can you determine which is best.
here are some #'s:

Is250:

Fuel consumption City: 11.6 L/100 km (24 mpg Imperial)
Hwy: 7.6 L/100 km (37 mpg Imperial)
Fuel type Premium unleaded
Warranty (canada) 4 yrs/ 80,000 km
Powertrain warranty 6 yrs/110,000 km
Cargo capacity 378 litres (13 cu. ft.)
Wheelbase 2730 mm (107.4 in.)
Length 4575 mm (180.1 in.)
Width 1800 mm (70.9 in.)
Height RWD 1425 mm (56.1 in.)
Height AWD 1440 mm (56.7 in.)

TSX:

Fuel consumption City: 10.6 L/100 km (27 mpg Imperial)
Hwy: 7.1 L/100 km (40 mpg Imperial)
Warranty (.ca) 4 yrs/ 80,000 km
Powertrain warranty 5 yrs/100,000 km
Cargo capacity 362 litres (12.7 cu. ft.)
Wheelbase 2670 mm (105.1 in.)
Length 4660 mm (183.4 in.)
Width 1762 mm (69.3 in.)
Height 1456 mm (57.3 in.)
Old 01-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tintin
If you can afford lexus, go for lexus!
If i can afford lexus, would i go for lexus, no, because i cannot justify paying more for a car just for the name, and few extra options that doesnt mean much to me.
my suggestion is to drive both of them, then and only then can you determine which is best.
here are some #'s:

Is250:

Fuel consumption City: 11.6 L/100 km (24 mpg Imperial)
Hwy: 7.6 L/100 km (37 mpg Imperial)
Warranty (canada) 4 yrs/ 80,000 km
Powertrain warranty 6 yrs/110,000 km
Cargo capacity 378 litres (13 cu. ft.)
Wheelbase 2730 mm (107.4 in.)
Length 4575 mm (180.1 in.)
Width 1800 mm (70.9 in.)
Height RWD 1425 mm (56.1 in.)
Height AWD 1440 mm (56.7 in.)

TSX:

Fuel consumption City: 10.6 L/100 km (27 mpg Imperial)
Hwy: 7.1 L/100 km (40 mpg Imperial)
Warranty (.ca) 4 yrs/ 80,000 km
Powertrain warranty 5 yrs/100,000 km
Cargo capacity 362 litres (12.7 cu. ft.)
Wheelbase 2670 mm (105.1 in.)
Length 4660 mm (183.4 in.)
Width 1762 mm (69.3 in.)
Height 1456 mm (57.3 in.)

Thanks! Options don't mean much for me since I usually mod the heck out of my cars, even though I'm just using it to commute to work. Gas consumption is a big factor.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Advanced.

I will be picking my TSX up on Monday and I compared it to the IS250 and the Jetta GLI. I chose the TSX over the IS250 because I felt for the money, the TSX just offered more. Once I got everything on the IS that the TSX had, I was over $33K, $6K more than what I got my TSX for. When compared to the GLI Jetta, I chose the TSX because I wanted something more "mature" looking and in features. The GLI Jetta was a very nice driving car but is aimed more towards someone wanting a sporty feel. Also, the seats in the GLI are a dream but not plush enough for me for everyday driving including long trips to see family and the Bride-to-Be. Drive them both, weigh the amount of "stuff" you get with both for the price and make your decision. Only you know what you want. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, you should drive both back to back and see how you like them. That's the only real way to make a decision.

Basically, the TSX is a better value for the money - you get more standard features with the TSX. An optioned out IS 250 will be quite a bit more than the TSX. The base IS 250 I believe doesn't even have leather seats!!!! Or HID, etc....

Those MPG numbers seem a bit off to me. I think the TSX is rated more like 23/31 or something along those lines....nowhere near 40 MPG highway!

At any rate, good luck with your decision.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 AM
No-navi, yo

If the price tag of IS doesn't bother you after you add in all of the options you want, I think the IS is probably going to be a very cool commuter car -- new style, quieter ride, Lexus service. Yet as the only car, IS250 is over priced and too small.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

I have extensively looked into these two. Got none but here is what I think.

For luxury the Lexus is better but at a price. The leather in the TSX looks and feels disturbingly close to the one in my Prelude.
Trouble with the IS 250 is that is not a real sport sedan .
Being RWD does not automatically makes it a driver's car.
There is no feel in the steering whheel. Is wobbly in transition and it even pushes in corners.
I am willing to bet that on a track the TSX will be faster. The chassis is better when really pushing the limits.
For handling I woult take the IS 300 over the IS 250
The shifter can't come close to the one in the TSX. It didn't go straight first to second and made funny noises first to second and second to third.
The IS 250 feels more powerful but is actually slower. Not sure in what way can be modified since it has a very high compresion.
The shifter in the Lexus is positioned closer to the driver and I liked it better.
There is little legroom at the back in the IS 250 and the seats don't fold.

In the end I didn't like the IS 250 for not beeing a true sport sedan. Can't even make it as an entry luxury in the cheapest trim.
As for the TSX, I wish there was an entry model withouth sunroof and leather, more driver oriented.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
For these two cars, I think the ultimate questions is gonna be, "What do you want to do to the car?"

One of the biggest weaknesses of the Lexus is the steering. It is rather numb and lacking in feedback, which is not particularly good for a sport sedan. If you plan on doing a whole lot of mods, which include finding a way to change the Lexus steering, and money is not a factor, then go for the Lexus because ultimately, the RWD platform will have more room for performance.

However, if the mods you are talking about are little more than simple bolt-ons such as intake, headers, exhaust, springs, shocks, etc., then I would recommend the TSX. The TSX provides a much more rewarding driving experience than the IS250. Plus, if price is even remotely a factor, the TSX will pretty much blow the Lexus out of the water in terms of feature content at that price point.

So think thoroughly about what it is that you plan on doing to the car, and then go test drive them back to back. This should allow to make the best decision for yourself
Old 01-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
While most folks here talk about a bunch of reasons why they pick one car over another most surveys would say that price is still king, than make/model, then features.

The newness and the L badge will quickly fade in the day-to-day commute in terms of importance. Unless you value the L badge to the tune of $6K, get the TSX.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback....travel schedule makes it tough to test drive, but I will drive both. As for mods, just basic bolt on stuff....went too far with my previous 4 cars, so I'm going to take it easy on this one. Key elements since I commute from NJ to my office in DC once a week:
  1. Gas mileage
  2. Seat comfort
  3. Long distance driveability
  4. Highway handling (not going to race or SCCA this thing)

Mods to this car will be limited to lowering, rims, maybe a kit, and audio. FWD is attractive in case of poor weather conditions. I want to keep the price under $30k which will be more of a challenge with the IS, but I have a few connections within Lexus corporate, so it may be possible for a stripped down version.

I could care less about the badge, or status..... if I want status, I'll pull the M45 out of the garage..
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Pro

i would pick the TSX

FWD: better in winter (unless u get the AWD is250)
better gas
and seats are very comfortable
and acura/honda is known for their durability (mind you, toyota/lexus has the same reputation)

I am sure whatever you decide you are going to be very happy with, as both cars are very nice!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:55 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmark
...Key elements since I commute from NJ to my office in DC once a week:
  1. Gas mileage
  2. Seat comfort
well i've done many trips from nyc to chevy chase and i can tell you the following,

1. Gas milage is very good for this motor, keeping around 70-75mph.
2. being 5'10" and the lumber support is very good, side bolsters very good, booty support is good as long as you do not have a thick wallet in your back pocket.
3. long distance driveability could be better if acura stereo had mp3 capability on their cd changer - i use an ipod on my drives; no problems detouring off to baltimore for a bite with the navi system!
4. once you have the suspension mods, you're all set - once it gets going this car holds it's own. once i hit 495, enter into wiscounin ave, old georgetown rd, and the DC circles i get the granny smile

you should take the car to skyline drive right outside dc; you will see how good it really is (even though you aren't racing it).
Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 AM
tsx's4playinwith

I compared both of them too. But it all came down to price, and the tsx was cheaper. If i could of got the IS250, i porbally would of. The new styling and interior, with push engine start seemed nice to me. If your willing to spend a couple extra grand, i suggest the IS, but if you want a lower price and a car with alot of sutff for the moeny..Tsx is sweet as well
Old 01-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=223954

ya...

i was reading that thread too on is300.net. i agree, it did get out of hand.

if only the is250 awd had the 6mt, i might consider it...

if the is250 is anything like the is300 i test drove awhile back, then the is250 must be built like a tank. the is300 i drove felt bullet-proof...
Old 01-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feedback....travel schedule makes it tough to test drive, but I will drive both. As for mods, just basic bolt on stuff....went too far with my previous 4 cars, so I'm going to take it easy on this one. Key elements since I commute from NJ to my office in DC once a week:
  1. Gas mileage
  2. Seat comfort

Mods to this car will be limited to lowering, rims, maybe a kit, and audio. FWD is attractive in case of poor weather conditions. I want to keep the price under $30k which will be more of a challenge with the IS, but I have a few connections within Lexus corporate, so it may be possible for a stripped down version.

I could care less about the badge, or status..... if I want status, I'll pull the M45 out of the garage..
#1 goes to the TSX, the rest IMO go to the IS. A stripped IS is somewhat hard to find at this point, like many option packages still are. My biggest complaint about the IS is having to add so much (packages) to get HIDs. I think the IS makes a far better highway cruiser and the interior materials are significantly better, design being subjective, it goes to the IS for me. Bottom line I like the IS more but in a commuter only car I would lean to the TSX, with minor differences in comfort and highway handling the cost difference is enough to sway me.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:37 PM
7thGenAccord

if your planning to mod it, i would get the TSX. since the TSX been out since 04 there more parts for it. IMO the new IS is more of a show car.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xjdmb16a2six
if your planning to mod it, i would get the TSX. since the TSX been out since 04 there more parts for it. IMO the new IS is more of a show car.

.....got 3 of those....and can't drive them anywhere. This car will be driven...

I'll try to drive them next week. Oh, the DC area roads really suk....so maybe no 19's for me...
Old 01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Racer

I would pick the IS250. Has more agressive styling, RWD, Lexus name, gorgous interior, better quality all around, such as leather, plastics used, etc..

It all comes down to this. 70% people here get the TSX cuz its the best bang for your buck!

If you can spend the extra 4k for a nicely equipped IS250. You WILL be happy with going with Lexus. NOT one person I know that wasnt happy with the Lexus product. There is a reason why Lexus is the most reliable car out there today.

I myself is still debating over an TSX and IS250. Gonna buy a car within a year. When i'm ready to buy it all will come down to $$$. If I want to spend more for the Lex..
Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Instructor

I test drove both cars. With the IS250, I test drove the AWD trim. I know there is just the base IS250 but I would have bought the IS250 in AWD. Ultimately, I chose the TSX. Now I have to say that yes, there was a price difference of about $5000 Cdn with the IS250 AWD and I would have paid it if I thought it was worth it but I just didn't think it was. Below are my pros and cons:

--IS250AWD--

'+'

-More refined interior, fit and finish were just a bit better.
-V6, newer engine.
-Quieter cabin.
-Lexus nameplate, if that means alot to you.
-Handling felt tighter, a little less side roll than the TSX.
-Paddle shifters.
-AWD of course.

'-'

-Tiny rear seats, when I sat back there, it took a while for me to get my feet out from under the seat and get out of the car.
-No spilt fold down rear seats.
-Despite a V6 engine, I felt the acceleration was very similar to the TSX (auto).
-Much fewer options included (eg. HIDs, sunroof, bluetooth, MID etc), To get those features, you have to pay thousands more to add on their upgrade packages. The base IS250, which is comparable to the TSX in price is even worse when it comes to what you get standard.

Of course, there are more '+' '-' to list but those are the highlights. I just felt that the TSX was more car than the IS250 was, with the IS250AWD trim and could not justify forking out $5000 more and then getting way less options with it. Another big minus for me was the unusable back seats, they were truly impractical. Having said that, the Lexus is a very nice car and it really depends on what you are looking for. The IS250 does have a more luxurious feel to it and some nice bells and whistles, like a push button starter, but to get up to the same option level as a TSX, you are paying thousands more. For me, I want some bang for my buck and the TSX is a nicely balanced car with luxury features and decent enough performance. Performance wise the two cars are very similar.

I ended up getting a 06 5AT TSX ASM and will pick it up tomorrow.....the only way to know for sure is to test drive both yourself. Goodluck!!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Racer

TSX's Value + Better Nav system

Lexus is definately not worth the extra money. My neighbor has one (in relation to my avatar(my driveway) his house is left of it, and I think the TSX looks better, but thats just personal preference *i like the small light look*
Old 01-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sccpu3d
TSX's Value + Better Nav system

Lexus is definately not worth the extra money. My neighbor has one (in relation to my avatar(my driveway) his house is left of it, and I think the TSX looks better, but thats just personal preference *i like the small light look*

So nice of you to point out that the car on your avator is yours, and it is on your driveway, and that there is a lexus on your neighbour's driveway, which is on the left

Such great information

jk
Old 01-29-2006, 05:46 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sccpu3d
Hmmmm, for some strange reason, I think both TSX and IS are very good looking. They are much better looking than other cars in the same class i.e. E90.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I wouldn't mind having the IS, if you get the same feeling of satisfaction for 6k less, why not go for the TSX? Features and all aside, satisfaction is basically what you are paying for.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Those MPG numbers seem a bit off to me. I think the TSX is rated more like 23/31 or something along those lines....nowhere near 40 MPG highway!

Its imperial gallons, not the same thing that we have.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM
VSA Rocks

IMO, although I think the IS looks much better on the outside than the TSX, it's pretty much a 4coupe with 2+2 seating. Its a 4-door car with a coupe's legroom in the back. Defeats the purpose of having a 4-door if you asked me...
Old 01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Well, I actually got to sit in the I250 at the Detroit auto show. I am not too impressed with the car. The wheels say 17, but look considerablly smaller., more like 15 inch wheels. I thought the cabin was really tight. I am only 5 "11 and another guy that sat in the car with me was 6 foot and he looked very uncomfortable. The back seat really wasn't a back seat.

I liked the power steering wheel. But overall, I don't care for the design of the car in person. It is kind of funny looking. I don't understand how Lexus justifies the extra money??? I would get a TL over that car any day.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
10th Gear

ive drivin the tsx,is250 awd, as well as the is350... for the money the TSX beats it, i also like how the tsx drives more than the is250, its more of a drivers car. the steering is so much better and the is250 seems reall slow compared to the 350. but if u want the lexus badge, i gotta cough up more $..... but id say TSX all the way. i also drive a 06 gs, and the IS just seems as if its a cheaper smaller GS. IMO
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I would pick the IS250. Has more agressive styling, RWD, Lexus name, gorgous interior, better quality all around, such as leather, plastics used, etc..

It all comes down to this. 70% people here get the TSX cuz its the best bang for your buck!

If you can spend the extra 4k for a nicely equipped IS250. You WILL be happy with going with Lexus. NOT one person I know that wasnt happy with the Lexus product. There is a reason why Lexus is the most reliable car out there today.

I myself is still debating over an TSX and IS250. Gonna buy a car within a year. When i'm ready to buy it all will come down to $$$. If I want to spend more for the Lex..
I don't think an extra 4k gets you a "nicely equipped 250"

i think you really have to spend about 6-8k to get a comprably equipped IS250.

if you want more comfort, the lexus seats are marginally better. the TSX, i've read, is the faster car by a very very small margin.

the TSX is just so much more for the money. IS250 is nice, but a rip off IMO.

Luxury is definitely nicer in the IS though....

tough choice if you have the extra cash to blow....
Old 01-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
I don't think an extra 4k gets you a "nicely equipped 250"

i think you really have to spend about 6-8k to get a comprably equipped IS250.

if you want more comfort, the lexus seats are marginally better. the TSX, i've read, is the faster car by a very very small margin.

the TSX is just so much more for the money. IS250 is nice, but a rip off IMO.

Luxury is definitely nicer in the IS though....

tough choice if you have the extra cash to blow....
How is the IS selling? I cannot believe that they will sustai nhigh sales with this car.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zircon
How is the IS selling? I cannot believe that they will sustai nhigh sales with this car.
The IS is selling EXTREMELY well.

Lexus sold more then 4000 units in the month of Decemeber alone.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by zircon
Lot better than TSX's.... when I got my TSX, it was like the 400th off the factory.... when my friend got his IS350, it was almost the 5,000th vehicle off the factory

Only about 1 and half weeks difference. I think the 250s are on the same factory line as the 350s, so i guess both 250 and 350 is involved in those numbers?

I think the only reason theyre priced so high is because this car sells insane well. All Lexus publicity haha. Acura really should make more commercials for the TSX, then again..... TSX marketing prices'll transfer to us, and it will be less rare /w the increased sales
Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Still Lovin my 06

The IS is selling EXTREMELY well.

Lexus sold more then 4000 units in the month of Decemeber alone.
Where did you get those numbers? and is that IS 250 and 350 combined? i'm betting it is.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
Where did you get those numbers? and is that IS 250 and 350 combined? i'm betting it is.
Yes they are combined.

Of course they sold more IS250's then IS350's. 4:1
Old 01-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Yes they are combined.

Of course they sold more IS250's then IS350's. 4:1
I woulda thought more 350s sold. so you're saying they sold around 3,000 overpriced 250s? again....where'd you get these numbers?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:06 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

hasn't lexus been offering/built more 250's than 350's during the initial sales too?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
08 MDX with Sports

I heard the new IS250 is slower or feels slower compare to first gen IS300. Now the IS350 is where its AT!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Ford Sales Consultant

If I had a million dollars (or $38,000)...

...I'd buy the AWD Lexus IS250.

Since I don't have that much money...I'll be buying the TSX.

Both vehicles look good (professional-wise).

Diggs
Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably go with the TSX unless Lexus corporate comes back with an offer for the IS250.

Well the modding already began even though I don't have the car yet. Lined up a couple sponsors for the build-up.....it's a disease....
Old 01-30-2006, 06:00 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

My opinion, having not driven the IS250, is I'd much rather have the fully optioned TSX than a bare bones IS250 since price is a factor. Why struggle to get to your price point when you can pretty much have the TSX any way you want it and still stay under $30k? And, I'm guessing the resale will be better on a loaded TSX than a stripped (relatively speaking) IS250.

The under-$30k price point is what clinched the TSX for me. I could sure have bot a more expensive car, but part of my enjoyment of my TSX is that it looks, drives, and feels more expensive than it is, rather than the other way around.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced

I really liked the IS, however here are the reasons why I didn’t buy it…..

Fuel consumption. I found Lexus to be like my former Infiniti; in real world conditions these cars guzzle gas, far more than the TSX does.

RWD/FWD – I live where there is a ton of snow and RWD, even with great snow tires and traction control still required a fair amount of weight in the trunk. Something that the TSX does not require.

Practicality – I liked that the TSX has a folding rear seat, given that these cars are not huge to being with.

Dealerships. Worst case you can access a Honda dealership for service with the IS you are stuck with Toyota who are notorious for being expensive in every way.

Drive. While I liked the sound of the IS, the TSX has much more responsive steering and the hi-revving engine has a greater fun factor.

Quick Reply: TSX or IS250 ?????