TSX and IPOD - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 AM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX and IPOD - Questions

I'm considering purchasing an Ipod which would be used in my 06 TSX as well as around town on walks, air travel, etc.

I'm just starting to get up to speed on their various configurations and was wondering which model (if any) works best with the TSX - ie - Shuffle, Nano or "full-size". Can the controls on the TSX steering wheel control any functions of these Ipod models? (Note: My TSX is non-Navi, if that matters.)

Buying the TSX already convinced to get a bluetooth cellphone -- Now I'm looking at Ipods.

Help!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:40 AM
2006 TSX

BRH -

I have owned several iPods and would recommend spending a few extra dollars for a Nano or one of the larger capacity iPods. The great thing about the iPod is that it allows you to have a huge amount of music in a tiny space. With the iPod in your car, you'll be able to listen to anything that you want to at any time - if you are going to make the investment, you should do it in a way that lets you make the most of the experience. My larger iPod is a 20gig model and holds every CD that I have purchased since 1990, plus music that I have downloaded. The experience is incredible. I also have a 4gig Nano (Christmas present) that has quickly become my favorite for travel - it is filled to capacity with all of my favorite songs. A co-worker has a Shuffle and while the size is great and the price is low, you are much better off going with a larger model. If you have any kind of a collection at all, you will want at least a 4gig Nano, but probably should go higher.

The short answer to the question about controlling the iPod is yes, with an optional Music Link connection, you can control the iPod from the stereo system. I know this works on Navi models, pretty sure it works on the non-Navi as well. Even without the Music Link, you can still plug in through the 1/8" connection in the center console, but you will not have the ability to control the iPod using in-car controls - you will have to use the controls on the iPod itself.

Successful integration may be another question - if anyone here has the optional Music Link, please weigh in with some help.

I too just bought a TSX (2006 silver/black w/navi) last week and had the same question about iPod integration. I inquired at the dealership about the Music Link. The bottom line was that they basically refused to install it, saying that the Music Link, plus XM, plus Navi causes too many problems for the car to sort out and "screws up" the entire entertainment systemin the car. In their words, the system can't handle all of the input. (?!?)

I appreciate the dealers "honesty" on the matter - if they didn't want to take my money for the option and the install, they really must have something against the unit. They were asking for $600 (!!!) installed. $300 for the unit and $300 for 3 hours of labor. I know that the unit can be bought online for about $160 and I can't imagine that 3 hours of labor is needed. I understand the concept of standard book hours, but come on...

So, we know that steering wheel control is theoretically possible - but before BRH (or I) jump in and spend the extra money on integrated control:

Does the Music Link cause problems for the "entertainment center" in the car?

Does it really take 3 hours to install? It seems like a simple dongle that plugs into the back of the stereo, then snakes into the glovebox - not a major re-wiring of the car.

BRH - no matter what, your driving/musical/traveling experience will be enhanced by owning an iPod - just make sure that you think about your purchase and plan ahead! If you are like me, you will find quickly that an iPod is one of those things in life that is worth spending more on for the increased capacity. Don't hasitily buy a model with capacity that is smaller than your collection. Once you get hooked on having access to all of your music, you'll want to have ALL of it on the iPod.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Advanced

if you do buy an iPod get some sort of extended warranty on it. I got a 2 year waranty on my nano at Best Buy for $30. Good thing I got it since the sceen of my nano gave out after a month or so.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Racer

http://www.nuxx.net/hondamusiclink.html

The link above outline's another user's experience with IPOD Music Link. I don't know if it really is still that clunky, but from what I read, it is a complete waste of cash.

Anyone have a better experience than the guy from the site?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:52 PM
pdp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by si2tsx
if you do buy an iPod get some sort of extended warranty on it. I got a 2 year waranty on my nano at Best Buy for $30. Good thing I got it since the sceen of my nano gave out after a month or so.
and dont shop at best buy. i'd rate their customer service dead last out of all places i've had issues with. sadly enough, i'd rate wal-marts customer service higher than bb's. circuit city, fry's, apple.com, apple retailers, ebay...just buy anywhere other than bb.

feel free to spread the hate towards bb if you wish.
sidenote, there is talks of a 6gen ipod being released very shortly.
if you dont mind waiting it's worth it to see what comes of it in the next month or so.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pdp
and dont shop at best buy. i'd rate their customer service dead last out of all places i've had issues with. sadly enough, i'd rate wal-marts customer service higher than bb's. circuit city, fry's, apple.com, apple retailers, ebay...just buy anywhere other than bb.
I agree. I used to shop at best buy all the time (since they gave me a free rewardzone card), but there's hardly anyone around who's willing to help (they're always clustered together talking). The customer service line is usually only staffed by 1.5 people, and they go really slow (the .5 is for the second person who only comes to help every other customer).

The only time I truly got customer service was when I was getting a digital camcorder...a cute girl came up and helped us out =)
Old 06-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Advanced

There are threads you should look at in the Audio/Video section. Also, after doing some research myself I had the USA SPEC product installed for about $200 in parts and labor. It allows for volume control and change of song from the steering wheel in my 2005 TSX. The sound quality is much superior to the itrip that I used before.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Don't get the Ipod interface for the TSX though. I was quoted $610 parts and labor!! Use the Ipod itself and a $3 radio shack cord to plug it into the port inside the armrest if you have an '06.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Racer

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SlXhQB6...581PA11HN2#Tab
and
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon03fmm1.html
= Successful iPod integration.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
NewBee

i had an alpine HU and iPod interface in my last car and it worked like a charm. but is this the only way to do it with the TSX? What's the point of the AUX in the arm rest? i suppose you'd have to fool with the actual iPod to get to songs rather than use the HU?

I have the alpine interface but of course I can't use it with the TSX. Since I just bought the TSX i'm broke and can't be spending more money on a USA Spec at this time but i'd like to still hook up my iPod for the time being until i have some more spending money saved up...