TSX Image

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 04:14 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TSX Image

Picked up myBlack/Black 6mt TSX on 7/17. I wanted something fun to drive after a string of big Lexus, BMWs and Benzes. In fact, went from a S-430 to my TSX. Quite a change, but the TSX had everything I was looking for in one package- sporty feel and drive combined with just enough luxury- all in a car under 30k- brilliant.
Several neighbors have asked if the car belongs to my 19 year old son or one of his friends, and when I tell them it's mine they sort of smile and nod as if they think its evidence of a midlife crisis.

Maybe they're right, but I don't care. The TSX is a great value and just makes sense when you look at the car and its competition. This is fresh, new, state of the art metal from a great car manufacturer. I know that the BMW 3 series is the gold standard in this class but many of my son's friends drive them and if I joined them it would definitely raise some questions.

So far I like everything about the car- the MT, the seats the comfort level inside the cabin, the fit and feel of the whole thing. I'm babying it during break and I can't wait to hit 600 miles. The only problem so far is the metal on top of the shifter- after a while in the sun it gets hot and I now have the gate pattern branded on my right palm. Oh well. I will live with it.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:36 AM
Advanced

well zman, congratulations on the pickup!!! haha I think you and my dad are practically the same, we went from a Volov 940 to a Benz E class to now a TSX... my dad absolutely loves this car. I have a feeling that since the E class is at home, and we are getting the TSX... i will have to drive the E class now... not to complain =D haha but hey, im 20 he's 49... and we did get the TSX for me, but he loves the TSX... oh well, either way, this car is rated E for everyone =D enjoy! =D
Old 07-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Racer

You are in good company zman!!! It appears a lot of people in our age bracket are buying the TSX. I read Acura was targeting 40 year old males making 80k. This was before I drove the car and I thought they were way off. Then I drove the car and fell in love. Look at my previous cars in my sig below. I've been going from sport to luxury a lot (more sport than luxury), sometimes trying to find a middle ground but never getting the right combination until now. Welcome to the club.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:20 AM
More On

Re: TSX Image

Originally posted by zman
.....Several neighbors have asked if the car belongs to my 19 year old son or one of his friends, and when I tell them it's mine they sort of smile and nod as if they think its evidence of a midlife crisis.

Maybe they're right, but I don't care. The TSX is a great value and just makes sense when you look at the car and its competition. This is fresh, new, state of the art metal from a great car manufacturer. I know that the BMW 3 series is the gold standard in this class but many of my son's friends drive them and if I joined them it would definitely raise some questions......
Congratulations -- and great stuff. I'm a little (ha) older too, and I think this stuff helps explain why I loved the TSX, and, in fact, why I've loved Acuras in general. It reflects staying with the younger, fun mode, but without being extreme or ostentatious about it. However, I disagree a little with the specific example that you gave: in principle I wouldn't have had any problem at all hooking up with the BMW 3 either. The issue there is just that genuinely the TSX to me is a more desirable car.

(signed, former long-time BMW owner)
Old 07-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bear Trap
<snip>I read Acura was targeting 40 year old males making 80k. <snip>
Do you recall where you read that? I've been very curious who or what their target customer profile was. If that target is correct, they hit me dead on!

By the responses I've read on this forum, the car clearly appeals to a wide range--from at least ages 16-60 or so.

I still have a month to go until my TSX arrives.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:26 PM
6th Gear

TSX Image 2

What made me get a TSX? Here's what I told my wife:
1. I was tired of driving a boat. A nice boat to be sure but a boat just the same.

2.I wanted something with a stick shift. I just came back from 2 weeks in Spain where everyone drives a stick. Automatics and cup holders are not understood over there.

3. Smaller is better. I saw a car called the Smart car and if I could get one here I would.

4. The most fun car I ever owned was in my old 1959 Beetle which didn't even have a gas gauge.

5. I din't want to conspiciously consume. Even Larry David drives a Prius on Curb your enthusiasm.

6. Acura has a great reputation.

7. I hated the interior of the G35.

8 BMWs are getting tired and everyone has them.

9 The TSX was well reviewed and a kick to drive.

10. I made a great deal. Sort of.

11. I want to teach my son and 16 year old daughter how to drive a stick.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TSX Image 2

What made me get a TSX? Here's what I told my wife:
1. I was tired of driving a boat. A nice boat to be sure but a boat just the same.

2.I wanted something with a stick shift. I just came back from 2 weeks in Spain where everyone drives a stick. Automatics and cup holders are not understood over there.

3. Smaller is better. I saw a car called the Smart car and if I could get one here I would.

4. The most fun car I ever owned was in my old 1959 Beetle which didn't even have a gas gauge.

5. I din't want to conspiciously consume. Even Larry David drives a Prius on Curb your enthusiasm.

6. Acura has a great reputation.

7. I hated the interior of the G35.

8 BMWs are getting tired and everyone has them.

9 The TSX was well reviewed and a kick to drive.

10. I made a great deal. Sort of.

11. I want to teach my son and 16 year old daughter how to drive a stick.
Amen brother!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:23 PM
More On

Re: TSX Image 2

What made me get a TSX?......Smaller is better. I saw a car called the Smarte car and if I could get one here I would.....
Yo, Zman! (I think we're gonna like this guy......)
I like ALL your reasons. I'm just singling out that one because I don't think anyone has mentioned that car here before.
I saw those cars in Europe too, and was fascinated. Since most people on here probably don't know it, we better describe it.

You know the Mini? Cut it about in half and you've got the Smarte. The styling is more like maybe the VW Rabbit, or the real old Civic. I'm exaggerating about the size, but it really is much shorter than the Mini -- maybe 115"?? (If anybody knows the actual length....)

I would have loved to borrow/rent/steal one for a day.

P.S. (Edit) Found a pic of the Smarte:

http://finkels.net/photos/italy/pages/2_smarte_car.htm

Now that I got another look at it, I think I might have slandered both Germany and Japan up there.....
But I still think it's real cool. I'd trade my TSX for it for a day.

Looks like my estimate of 115" may actually be way HIGH. (100"??)
Old 07-20-2003, 10:44 PM
8th Gear

Another mid-lifer checking in. 43 and waiting to pick up 6MT CG with ebony or quartz (can't decide....leaining towards ebony). Coming off lease on a Saab 9-5.

The TSX was a blast on the test drive and for $100 less a month than the Saab....why not? Didn't even think of the BMW....who needs the baggage? Besides, everyone's driving one now.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:38 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Sicofins
Another mid-lifer checking in. 43 and waiting to pick up 6MT CG with ebony or quartz (can't decide....leaining towards ebony). Coming off lease on a Saab 9-5.

The TSX was a blast on the test drive and for $100 less a month than the Saab....why not? Didn't even think of the BMW....who needs the baggage? Besides, everyone's driving one now.
I had the same problem picking an interior. I believe the ebony is sexy and the quartz is classy. Since I had ebony in my CL-S I chose quartz. Besides, the two-tone look is tits.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:45 AM
More On

Originally posted by Jason
.....is tits.
Well, this is about the third time I've seen this phrase on here, so I guess it's for real.

It had a brief (I think it was just brief) vogue in the late '60's.
Since then, I didn't come across it again until just the last couple of days, on here.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
Well, this is about the third time I've seen this phrase on here, so I guess it's for real.

It had a brief (I think it was just brief) vogue in the late '60's.
Since then, I didn't come across it again until just the last couple of days, on here.
My Dad used that term once in the late 80's or early 90's and I never forgot it. I use it every now and then. It definitely has a unique quality about it, nice and retro. The cool thing is that most people don't use it so I get extra style points. Long live "tits!"
Old 07-21-2003, 02:38 AM
Intermediate

Re: Re: TSX Image 2

Originally posted by larchmont

I saw those cars in Europe too, and was fascinated. Since most people on here probably don't know it, we better describe it.
Here's a another pic of the SMARTE car from a trip to France. Sorry about the low quality, I had a crappy digicam back then.

http://www.pbase.com/image/19370073
Old 07-21-2003, 04:53 AM
6th Gear

TSX Image 3

The smarte car reflects a European esthetic that I really liked. Its well designed, practical, and leaves out everything thats unnecessary. Its a joint project of Swatch and Mercedes and I wish they would bring it to the US. I even saw a convertible style that was amazing... I spent 5 days in Seville and Marbella where parking is impossible and the streets are 7 feet wide.The smarte car had no trouble...

So, when I came back to the US I looked in my garage at my s-430 and my wife's SUV I said it was time for a change. The TSX came to my attention on a billboard and I was immeditely drawn to its style. I tested it, loved it and immediately realized that it reflected my new taste in cars. It was the perfect combination af size, freshness, fun and comfort. And it made me happy to know that it was the European Accord. Just to be sure I also looked at the g35, Maxima, Passat, A4 and a clean 325i with 7000 miles that cost the same as the TSX.I also studied this Board for a few days. Went with the Acura and I couldn't be happier.

I am over 50 but I have a 7 year old son. I don't think of myself in terms of age. I think of myself as the father of a 7 year old. This leads me to coach t-ball, soccer and hang out with other parents of 7 year olds. When I drop my son off at school this fall I don't want to be driving a car that screams midlife crisis- like a Mustang convertible or a Boxster- I wanted something cool and I got it. ( I prefer cool to tits)
Old 07-21-2003, 05:37 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Brad
Do you recall where you read that? I've been very curious who or what their target customer profile was. If that target is correct, they hit me dead on!

By the responses I've read on this forum, the car clearly appeals to a wide range--from at least ages 16-60 or so.

I still have a month to go until my TSX arrives.
The quote comes from the July 2003 CAR AND DRIVER Review that got me to take a closer look at the TSX.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

The full quote:
"That now 30-something demographic—a majority married, more than half males, pulling in about $80,000 a year, according to Acura—is whom the brand is missing with the just-out-of-college RSX and the wife-and-kids TL. So enter the gap-filling TSX, a $26,990 rebadged European-market Honda Accord equipped with either the six-speed manual tested here or a five-speed automatic with a manual-control feature. At that price, Acura’s demographic prediction makes sense. TSX buyers won’t be the same guys dropping 30 large on Mitsubishi Evos or Subaru STis—what wife would allow her husband to buy a car with a wing the size of an ironing board? We all know who makes those calls."
Old 07-21-2003, 10:46 AM
More On

Re: TSX Image 3

.....I am over 50 but I have a 7 year old son. I don't think of myself in terms of age. I think of myself as the father of a 7 year old. This leads me to coach t-ball, soccer and hang out with other parents of 7 year olds. When I drop my son off at school this fall I don't want to be driving a car that screams midlife crisis- like a Mustang convertible or a Boxster- I wanted something cool and I got it. ( I prefer cool to tits)
Cool! Or............whatever!
Old 07-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Brad

I have seen quite a few TSX around the PA-NJ area and I have not actually seen a young person driving them. I think I probably saw like 30+ driving them.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Advanced

I was in the process of getting a Honda Accord EX w/Nav when I received my Acura Magazine in the mail (MDX owner) and the ad for the TSX blew me away. I've owned an Integra, BMW 316 and 328I, but the MDX is just right for our large family (with 5 kids, we use all the rows of seats, trust me). I know Acura quality and performance so I am picking up my CG/Ebony AT w/Nav tonight. Sorry, Honda, I'm onto something here.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:14 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by gotsand
I was in the process of getting a Honda Accord EX w/Nav

You can get Nav in an Accord?
Old 07-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
You can get Nav in an Accord?
In America, yes.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

The SMARTE car looks pretty cool, but I can't say I'd be comfortable driving one in our SUV-stocked country.