The TSX is gonna get some serious competition...from Honda.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM
The extra b is for byobb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TSX is gonna get some serious competition...from Honda.

'07 Civic Si Sedan

Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Most intriguing...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Subie Tech

Civic will always be only a civic to me
Old 11-17-2005, 09:29 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffTSX
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
7thGenAccord

werd. civic= kids car.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Racer

that is hideous. thats almost as bad as the civic they are rebadging for Canada that's gonna be an Acura.

The new Civic coupe and Sedans are nice from behind but up front, someone made a big mistake. And the side mirrors are terrible.

That is no competition for the TSX. Not in the least
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Racer

that is hideous. thats almost as bad as the civic they are rebadging for Canada that's gonna be an Acura.

The new Civic coupe and Sedans are nice from behind but up front, someone made a big mistake. And the side mirrors are terrible.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
The extra b is for byobb

Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL

In terms of luxury, yes. But it will have as good or better performance and handling, just as functional (available navi), and will cost $6-7,000 less.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Advanced

But watch out when you see one come up behind you...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I would've liked to see the Euro hatch as the Si. Unlike the previous hatch Si, the new one looks good IMO.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not bad, not feeling the side mirrors.

but i think i will be owning only acuras from now on.

Originally Posted by phile
I would've liked to see the Euro hatch as the Si. Unlike the previous hatch Si, the new one looks good IMO.
they should of put the euro interior on the usdm si. that interior is unbelievable for a honda.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I would think this would point to a power increase next MY for the TSX.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by russduck
But watch out when you see one come up behind you...
Doesn't matter..most TSX owners aren't going to care that some kid who riced his civic out is tailing them.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by phirenze
In terms of luxury, yes. But it will have as good or better performance and handling, just as functional (available navi), and will cost $6-7,000 less.
But isn't that the point of getting a TSX? For all the "extra" creature comforts and knick-knacks that put it in that entry-lux category? After all, if I wanted more performance and didn't care as much about the luxury, I would've gotten a Subie WRX for ~$23k... Don't get me wrong; I like the newest Civic SI coupe offering, and this sedan version is interesting... but I don't see that much cross shopping. As SSN mentioned, it only means that the next TSX offering will be that much better. Just my
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Originally Posted by amadeus303
...As SSN mentioned, it only means that the next TSX offering will be that much better. Just my
and i hope it's 250hp turbo'd 4-cyl sh-awd sports4 concept better.

chippable to 270+hp much better.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL

I agree. Side mirrors look strange. Not liking the old-school glass in front of them. The front end profile looks like a Toyota Prius/doorstop. Fugly.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's only competition to those who bought the TSX solely for its performance....which I think is really rare.. TSX is sitll a bigger car with an edge in features and refinement. People in their mid 30's or 40's (targeted TSX audience) isn't likely to buy a performance version Civic, let alone a $20k one...

If you think about it, TSX (think of say, JDM Accord SiR) and this Civic Si (Civic Ferio SiR) has been in the JDM for a long time anyway....

will it take away TSX sales in some way? sure... just like some ppl on this board was thinking they should've gotten a Mazda 3 to save money when it first came out a couple of years ago... but those are the exceptions rather than the norm
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not bad, but still 197HP. And looks kind of The TSX should improve on its 205HP by its 2007 model year, maybe significantly since it would be halfway in its model cycle.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Race Director

Sometimes I don't understand the logic of Honda. They're releasing the Civic Si 2 dr which will kill the RSX and RSX type S and they're thinking of this Si 4 dr?

I'm thinking the Si 4dr will take away sales from the Accord Ex sedan 4 cyl and some TSX, but not as likely cause the TSX is marketed as an entry level luxury sedan. The Si 4dr has more hp than the Accord Ex so it could affect sales of that more.

But, at the same time the Altima V6 hasn't killed sales of the Maxima or the G35 sedan, so I guess all the cars can peacefully coexist.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
6MT or Death

How can anyone actually think that ANY change to a Honda civic could have even the slightest effect on the TSX market? If I wanted a crappy interior that moved fast I would've bought a trans am. Though I do appreciate Honda making their civic fun for the civic buyers. If you can't look good it's nice to have a fast getaway.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Sometimes I don't understand the logic of Honda. They're releasing the Civic Si 2 dr which will kill the RSX and RSX type S and they're thinking of this Si 4 dr?

I'm thinking the Si 4dr will take away sales from the Accord Ex sedan 4 cyl and some TSX, but not as likely cause the TSX is marketed as an entry level luxury sedan. The Si 4dr has more hp than the Accord Ex so it could affect sales of that more.

But, at the same time the Altima V6 hasn't killed sales of the Maxima or the G35 sedan, so I guess all the cars can peacefully coexist.

Several other manufactueres offer similar or more powerful engines in "lesser" cars yet they still have no problem with sales. IMO its strange that Honda doesn't do the same. ie 3.0L or 3.2L V6 in TSX (if it fit)
Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
Several other manufactueres offer similar or more powerful engines in "lesser" cars yet they still have no problem with sales. IMO its strange that Honda doesn't do the same. ie 3.0L or 3.2L V6 in TSX (if it fit)
I agree with that, I think it's pretty important to have more engine options (among other options) for any of their cars. Nowadays, everything is about personalization..... tailor-fitted to the consumer, and this doesn't only apply to cars
Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
I agree with that, I think it's pretty important to have more engine options (among other options) for any of their cars. Nowadays, everything is about personalization..... tailor-fitted to the consumer, and this doesn't only apply to cars

This usually translates into more $$. Honda does a great job at giving the buyer value. Look at every review they have... somewhere in there is the comment about better materials for a great price (ie value). I mean we have HIDs, Leather/Pleather, 6spd/5 AT sport shift, moon roof, great mileage, etc etc. Go to BMW and a la carte that out.

A Civic with more HP than us... what's new? This is nothing we haven't seen. You take any Civic today, give them the difference we paid for the TSX over the Civic and let the Civic get modded out... it will be more powerful... so what. My wife has a Civic and my interior is SERIOUSLY more quiet, driveability is much better (when it was stock even). Fact is, the Civic WILL outsell our TSX... it always has.

If I see one on the road I'll still give it the .

Even when there wasn't a TSX, the Civic Si out performed its Accord brother with the same 4 cylinders. Guys/Gals... this is status quo and Honda's typical modus operandi.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Doesn't matter..most TSX owners aren't going to care that some kid who riced his civic out is tailing them.
Excellent point.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moda_way
This usually translates into more $$. Honda does a great job at giving the buyer value. Look at every review they have... somewhere in there is the comment about better materials for a great price (ie value). I mean we have HIDs, Leather/Pleather, 6spd/5 AT sport shift, moon roof, great mileage, etc etc. Go to BMW and a la carte that out.

A Civic with more HP than us... what's new? This is nothing we haven't seen. You take any Civic today, give them the difference we paid for the TSX over the Civic and let the Civic get modded out... it will be more powerful... so what. My wife has a Civic and my interior is SERIOUSLY more quiet, driveability is much better (when it was stock even). Fact is, the Civic WILL outsell our TSX... it always has.

If I see one on the road I'll still give it the .

Even when there wasn't a TSX, the Civic Si out performed its Accord brother with the same 4 cylinders. Guys/Gals... this is status quo and Honda's typical modus operandi.

maybe some of the sub 25yr olds on this board would cross-shop this one, but not those of us who've been around the block a few times....
Old 11-18-2005, 11:18 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by z-tec

maybe some of the sub 25yr olds on this board would cross-shop this one, but not those of us who've been around the block a few times....

Representing the sub 25 yr olds I'd like to assure you I COULD never cross shop. Reliability is found in the guts of the honda, but I'm a sucker for a hot body. Some may say the exterior styling of the TSX is too conservative, but who doesn't drool when they look at the inside. I've never heard anyone love the stock interior of their civic like tsx owners do. The cars do not compare. If you're in the market for a fast civic, you won't be buying a TSX, and if you're in the market for a TSX you can't look at the civic. It'd be like looking at a 800 sq ft luxury loft, and a 1000 sq ft "discount apartment". Different strokes folks.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:26 AM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

I also agree. Its all about power to alot of people...you should of bought a V6 Accord or Civic SIR hatchback...but you didn't because of the differences in everyother aspect, including the fact that those Honda's are ugly.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

I'm not feeling that at all....looks like the regular 4-door sedan.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Got Phó?

Civic
Old 11-18-2005, 01:49 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

At 15,000-odd TSX's per year, I hardly think Honda is trying to make the car everything to everybody. Civics are for Civic buyers, the TSX is a unique lux/performance/value proposition in Honda's lineup and appeals to that sliver of people who want to arrive sportier than the TL, more lux than the Accord or, certainly, the Civic, and certainly fewer flying wings and gratuitous bulges than an STi.

The Civic Si coupe, if I were 24 again, would look just about right to me at, likely, a few thousand less than an RSX-S.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
At 15,000-odd TSX's per year, I hardly think Honda is trying to make the car everything to everybody. Civics are for Civic buyers, the TSX is a unique lux/performance/value proposition in Honda's lineup and appeals to that sliver of people who want to arrive sportier than the TL, more lux than the Accord or, certainly, the Civic, and certainly fewer flying wings and gratuitous bulges than an STi.

The Civic Si coupe, if I were 24 again, would look just about right to me at, likely, a few thousand less than an RSX-S.

FYI - They're actually selling 30,000+ TSX's annually now.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:56 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who would cross-shop a TSX against a civic (other than maybe a few honda fanatics)
Old 11-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

Well I agree, but is has worked the other way too. The RSX had a hand in the death of the prelude. The Ingegra GS-R certainly didn't help the del Sol sales. I had a lot of cross shopping when we were selling the previous generaton 3.2 TL vs V-6 Accord, but there is more separation now.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Please tell me its not so.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'd cross-shop a Civic vs TSX, perhaps being a little less image conscious and more practical than most TSX owners (to be). I'm leary about my kids driving a car that can hit 150mph, I spend $5,000 a year on fuel right now, and I'll probably be aquiring two new cars over the next 3-4 years. So, do I buy a BMW 323i/TSX now and a Civic later, or vise versa? But on the other hand, a 200hp Civic would be pretty quick, too.

I figure that the 91 Civic Si that I had was "so fast at the track" because, compared to those guys with BMW 325's, I had less to lose. I drove the snot out of that Civic for 300,000km, and had a riot doing it. Do you mean that a TSX isn't going to be as much fun? But if you can't go fast with a 140hp Civic, then you can't go fast with 200hp either.

I like driving, and just don't understand all the hype about "luxury" vs driving. I wouldn't call my Triumph, RX-7 or Fiat Spider luxurious, but that didn't stop them from being great cars. I'll tell you, my father's DB5 seemed perfect to me - 300hp, disc brakes and electric windows (hey, for 1963 this was grand), and a convertable to boot - but it sure wasn't quiet! At this point, we've got so much crap to take to school, hockey, university, the cottage, a dog, kids and their friends... I really wonder how well a high-strung, high-stressed TSX will do against a modded (either by me, or by Honda/Acura) Civic. I guess that first I'll have to drive one, to see if it fits.

Maybe I am diffenent. Years ago a friend a work asked if I had a radio in my car, would I drive differently; well, it made me think that maybe I didn't want a radio! I still think that both are great cars.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:42 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I like driving, and just don't understand all the hype about "luxury" vs driving.
GDC... good points. It comes down to the fact that some people view cars strictly as transportation --- so "lux" is more of a factor. "Drivers" measure their vehicles by fun factor in my opinion, and having the added creature comforts is merely a bonus.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by dom
FYI - They're actually selling 30,000+ TSX's annually now.
So there you go. GDC, good points all. Amazing the myriad different viewpoints from which people view cars -- they're unlike any other consumer product!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fdl
who would cross-shop a TSX against a civic (other than maybe a few honda fanatics)
For some the $7k or so difference in price, while having close to the same horsepower and an argueably attractive body, would be a viable alternative.

But, maybe not......
Old 11-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

1. Lets not forget that this whole thing is based off of "insider information" that someone has posted on the internet. 2. The picture is a computer rendering. 3. It "might come out 2007".
Why are we even talking abut this car that doesnt even affect the TSX market. Different buyers, case closed.

Quick Reply: The TSX is gonna get some serious competition...from Honda.