TSX and the G35S

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
TSX and the G35S

This being a lighter week for me, I finally got around to trekking to my local dealerships to test drive the cars that I've been eying for a while now. The local BMW dealership failed to produce a 335i sedan in the 6MT as apparently, they only get them when they are ordered by a customer. So, I then took a drive down to my local Infiniti dealership to see if they could cough up a G35 Sport 6MT for me to drive. Luckily, they had one in exactly the combination I would be interested if I were looking to buy.

The guy at the dealership was pretty nice, and allowed me a fair amount of time with the car to get familiar with it and get comfortable with it before we took off on the streets. The route chosen was relatively simple and straight forward, though one I was well familiar with so I kicked the car around pretty good without scaring the salesmen.

My Impressions

Using the TSX as the basis for comparison, the G35 is, without question, a substantially more powerful car. However, I am not 100% sold that it is a better car. The steering was surprisingly light (lighter than my A-Spec suspended TSX on 18" wheels and tires) but very precise. The ride is amazingly good, without sacrificing much in terms of sportiness. The interior is vastly improved over the last generation version, but the aluminum trim still looks no better than the fake trim in the TSX. The gauge cluster looks infinitely better, but feels like it was practically stolen from the TSX parts bin. And as for the shifter and clutch, I quite honestly felt like I was in a video game.

On the road

On the road, the power delivery is smooth and virtually endless. Turn-in is clean and sharp without much fanfare. The car remains well planted in quick maneuvers, but is easy to control in high speed corners, though the sense that it is a larger car than the TSX is definitely present, no matter what.

My one complaint in all of this is the fact that the DBW throttle did not feel totally natural. Unlike the TSX, which even with the throttle lag, at least feels natural once you get moving, but the throttle on the G35 felt like it was constantly adjusting the pickup points and so, it was hard to nail down exactly how much force to apply to the throttle to get the motor to react as wanted. I am sure this is something that would be less of an issue after driving the car for a while, but from a new car perspective, it is not something I expected and certainly not something I appreciate.

Final Thoughts

Overall, my impressions of the G35 are that I like it, but I do not love it the same way I loved the TSX the first time I drove it. There are certain things that bugged me about it, like the flimsy feel of the shifting, the grabby nature of the clutch, and the cheap feel of the exterior door handles. Power is fantastic and it drives well enough that I can overlook the sense of size of the car, but there is just something about it that is lacking compared to my TSX.

So, safe to say, I will likely not revisit the G35 again until they make another substantial change. It is certainly a step in the right direction and a car with definite potential, but it is not the car for me. The TSX will stay put for a substantial while longer, for now.

Pros:
- Huge power
- Solid handing
- Vastly improved interior

Cons:
- Cheap shifter feel and poor clutch modulation
- Unnatural throttle action

Verdict: A nice car that aspires to be great, but is just a few steps shy. I think one more round of improvements and Infiniti will have a guaranteed 3-series killer.

But in the meantime, I love my TSX and have not found a car to make me want to part with it just yet.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
The interior is a huge improvement from the last, and the power is great, but the feel of the car just didn't do it for me. I was actually quite disappointed driving the new G35.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you gotta be kidding me... the g35 is far superior to the tsx. thats the reason they dont even get compared! the g35s closest competition is the tl type s, and even that is a stretch. I have had 4 Acuras before my first g35 and i can respect the Acura quality, but the G35 switched me over and im not real sure that I would go back. I am now on my 2nd g35. I had an 03 coupe and now i have the 07 sedan. I am currently in the market for a tsx for my girl and in just can not see a fair comparison. the tsx, although a nice car, seemed little more to me than a newer 4 dr integra. However, I am looking forward to play around with it when we get it in!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dr_strange2001
you gotta be kidding me... the g35 is far superior to the tsx. thats the reason they dont even get compared! the g35s closest competition is the tl type s, and even that is a stretch. I have had 4 Acuras before my first g35 and i can respect the Acura quality, but the G35 switched me over and im not real sure that I would go back. I am now on my 2nd g35. I had an 03 coupe and now i have the 07 sedan. I am currently in the market for a tsx for my girl and in just can not see a fair comparison. the tsx, although a nice car, seemed little more to me than a newer 4 dr integra. However, I am looking forward to play around with it when we get it in!
You are entitled to your opinion, but I have driven a lot of cars in my lifetime and am very particular about what I look for in cars that I buy. I only get a car that I absolutely love and generally refuse to settle for a car that I like, but has what I deem serious shortcomings in terms of the driving experience.

Like I said, the G35 is nice, but it is still not quite there in terms of the overall driving experience. And while it's good, it's not good enough to pull me away from a car I absolutely love driving every day.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You are entitled to your opinion, but I have driven a lot of cars in my lifetime and am very particular about what I look for in cars that I buy. I only get a car that I absolutely love and generally refuse to settle for a car that I like, but has what I deem serious shortcomings in terms of the driving experience.
I agree. Everyone has their own priorities. If I were still younger and interested in horsepower, I would have most likely gone for the infiniti. I'm more interested in the drive (shifting, twisties, interior luxury, etc), so the TSX wins out.

CGTSX2004...i see your name says 2004, but your signature says 2006. I guess you upgraded, but thinking about switching out again after only a year or so?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

what factors makes you think G is "far superior" compared to TSX?? from what you stated it seems like your comparison is biased on money factor. tsx is very well balanced car and only minor thing that is lacking compared to G is power.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
I agree. Everyone has their own priorities. If I were still younger and interested in horsepower, I would have most likely gone for the infiniti. I'm more interested in the drive (shifting, twisties, interior luxury, etc), so the TSX wins out.

CGTSX2004...i see your name says 2004, but your signature says 2006. I guess you upgraded, but thinking about switching out again after only a year or so?
I am perpetually in search of my next car. I make it a point of test driving as many cars as I can every year just to see if something on the market catches my interest. Sadly, nothing has popped up yet that makes me want to trade in the 2006.

And the switch from 04 to 06 was largely motivated by my need to move back to driving manuals.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Traded my '04 TSX for an '06 RL. Now that my wifes '04 RSX-S lease is up soon we have been cross shopping the G35 6MT. Was not impressed with overall quality/workmanship of the Infinity especially for $8000 more than the TSX. Guess what, we ordered an '08 TSX - Milano Red/Parchment/6MT/Nav. All this for under $30000. The G35 listed for $38500. East decidion.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

my dad has the new G35s....love it sooo much, the g35 is the reason im not gonna do many engine mods to my tsx, whenever I need speed, I just drive that...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

The clutch and shifter on the G35 are the dealbreaker for me. The engagement point is unnaturally, awkwardly high, the clutch itself is like a light switch and difficult to modulate, and the shifter isn't very smooth. I had to concentrate on the 2-3 shift, which isn't at all the case with the TSX. Everything else about the car, though, felt and looked great, particularly the engine. Those are my thoughts. Was your experience similar?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Race Director

have you compared the IS250 or 350 to the TSX?

The current G35's only weaknesses are the 6sp manual which felt kind of flimsy and of course the gas mileage, but it's an overall better car than the TSX and TL.

When you step on the gas in the G35 even with the A/C at full blast there is NO loss of power and it leaps ahead quickly, unlike in the TSX it seemed like it got it's engine power sapped or something. Also, I had the same problem in the current TL as a loaner and I had the A/C on at the 3rd level and the power seemed like it was sapped too.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stryker2
The clutch and shifter on the G35 are the dealbreaker for me. The engagement point is unnaturally, awkwardly high, the clutch itself is like a light switch and difficult to modulate, and the shifter isn't very smooth. I had to concentrate on the 2-3 shift, which isn't at all the case with the TSX. Everything else about the car, though, felt and looked great, particularly the engine. Those are my thoughts. Was your experience similar?
Yup, that's precisely it. Plus, the shifter felt like the one you use in a video game at the arcades. Not exactly a good thing compared with the shifters that I have driven on the TSX, my gf's Miata, or even the Porsche that I occasionally get to borrow from my gf's cousin. Those felt so perfectly natural to drive, but the G35 took so much effort and concentration to drive smoothly. Too much effort, in fact.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
have you compared the IS250 or 350 to the TSX?

The current G35's only weaknesses are the 6sp manual which felt kind of flimsy and of course the gas mileage, but it's an overall better car than the TSX and TL.

When you step on the gas in the G35 even with the A/C at full blast there is NO loss of power and it leaps ahead quickly, unlike in the TSX it seemed like it got it's engine power sapped or something. Also, I had the same problem in the current TL as a loaner and I had the A/C on at the 3rd level and the power seemed like it was sapped too.
IS350 is an absolute no-consider because of the lack of a manual transmission.
IS250 is too small (practically useless back seat), too weak (no quicker than my TSX), and too soft (suspension, steering, you name it) for my taste, plus the shifter is eh...
Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM
10th Gear

Thr g35 has enough power where you dont even need a manual trans. I have had almost all of my cars (11+) with a manual trans. It doesnt even seem necessary. the anuto trans in the g35 is extremely good about predicting your driving style, especially in DS (drive sport) mode. It down shifts, rev matches, etc! You might want to test drive an auto g and see what you think.

I am not saying the tsx is a bad car. I am actually getting my girlfriend an 08 hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Its a great value! I think Infiniti has done an extremely good job with the new g.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Thr g35 has enough power where you dont even need a manual trans. I have had almost all of my cars (11+) with a manual trans. It doesnt even seem necessary. the anuto trans in the g35 is extremely good about predicting your driving style, especially in DS (drive sport) mode. It down shifts, rev matches, etc! You might want to test drive an auto g and see what you think.

I am not saying the tsx is a bad car. I am actually getting my girlfriend an 08 hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Its a great value! I think Infiniti has done an extremely good job with the new g.
Sorry, no automatic will ever give me the same driving pleasure as a manual transmission. I don't care how good it is. The connection from driver to car just isn't the same.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^

Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by stryker2
I have not tried the G35S yet, my nearest dealer is 150 miles away, but if manual is as bad as everyone say it is, G35 off my list, until Nissan fix it.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
For me, the transmission is what makes the car. In that respect, the G leaves A LOT to be desired.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Sorry, no automatic will ever give me the same driving pleasure as a manual transmission. I don't care how good it is. The connection from driver to car just isn't the same.
Couldn't agree more
Old 07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

It has nothing to do with power. Given the choice between an automatic Civic Si and a base model LX w/ a stick, I'd still choose the stick. If I had to guess, I'd say that an overwhelming majority of drivers who prefer manual transmissions do so because they prefer the experience of rowing their own gears, rather than the "efficiency" of having a computer shift for them. I personally feel much more connected to the road with an MT, and it's why I'll never drive an automatic again... tried it once, and I was miserable for 3 years before finally deciding to trade it in. Sport shifts don't cut it for me either (not being able to shift gears out of sequence particularly annoys me).
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Race Director

Man, this morning the TSX was no match for the G35S. Overtook me really easily and I was already driving 80-85mph this morning. Of course 306hp and the VQ engine would easily overtake a TL and possibly a TL-S too.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Honestly g35 interior still makes me sad becasue how is honda and toyota in the lower ends outdoing the interior of infinity....

I mean acura and lexus should defintely be luxary, but now honda and toyota camry even have nicer interior layouts than nissan and infinity. Just my two cents. I would have got a g35 before the tsx, but i sat in almost every year even the new one and i'm still sadden that it feels like garbage.

My brother wants to get an altima coupe, and i still feel like the car is a bit tacky. I'm not happy with most nissans interior, their cars are pretty nice look, like the new altimas and their tail lights even when you jump to infinity the g35 and m45 ares nice, they redesign the g35 sedan and it looks great.

But everyday i'm inside loving my cars interior, even if the trim is cheap looking its still nicely done and well put out. Getting into a g35 all those tacky cheap plastic makes me feel like im in a lowend car when i sit in it.

Driving is a different story, but i rather pick a nice interior over an overplayed name g35.
If i want speed i would sell my tsx in a heartbeat for a faster car.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back to the BMW idea, I am eagerly looking to the arrival of the 1 series and the 135i. I will be at the BMW showroom to test one of those out as soon as they make them available. I wish they would nail down pricing already, but the 135 has potential to carve a whole new market niche with its weight, power, and ~$30k estimated pricetag. I wouldn't be surprised tho if a well packaged 135 came out to $35 or above, which in my mind takes it out of TSX competition from a price point. If they keep it at 32 or less, Acura could be in a pinch. (At least until the 2G TSX hits the streets)
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Reach
Back to the BMW idea, I am eagerly looking to the arrival of the 1 series and the 135i. I will be at the BMW showroom to test one of those out as soon as they make them available. I wish they would nail down pricing already, but the 135 has potential to carve a whole new market niche with its weight, power, and ~$30k estimated pricetag. I wouldn't be surprised tho if a well packaged 135 came out to $35 or above, which in my mind takes it out of TSX competition from a price point. If they keep it at 32 or less, Acura could be in a pinch. (At least until the 2G TSX hits the streets)
But only up to a point. My qualm with the 1-series is that it will only be available to the US as a 2-door coupe. Aesthetics aside, I think that people like me who need a 4-door will not even consider the 1-series so it is limiting its own market appeal. I realize that the performance will be hard to argue with, but the reality is that there are so few opportunities to properly wring out a car like that in this area that I would feel like I was wasting my money.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
But only up to a point. My qualm with the 1-series is that it will only be available to the US as a 2-door coupe. Aesthetics aside, I think that people like me who need a 4-door will not even consider the 1-series so it is limiting its own market appeal. I realize that the performance will be hard to argue with, but the reality is that there are so few opportunities to properly wring out a car like that in this area that I would feel like I was wasting my money.

Being a coupe only takes it right out of the running for many people. Including myself.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

OK, good point. At the very least it will chase down the G35 coupe, which seems to be ever increasing in popularity.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

I'm amazed how similar the interior looks compared to the TSX.

The TSX dash design seems far more elegant and unified. The Infiniti dash reminds me why I never thought for even a short second about buying an Infiniti.

Although I wish the TSX w/nav stereo wasn't so cramped. It looks indicative of a non-luxury car and reminds me that somewhere far far away they call these cars Accords.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by treez35
my dad has the new G35s....love it sooo much, the g35 is the reason im not gonna do many engine mods to my tsx, whenever I need speed, I just drive that...
^ This is the reason why I lost my motivation to mod my TSX, no matter how much you spend on the car, it will never be as fast as a Nissan/Infiniti or as fun as "torquer car". Well, the last one might be a little harsh, but that's my opinion.
I'm getting tired of having to rev the car really high to get power, with a mild push on G's throttle, you can easily speed up the car, no need extra effort.
My decision is final, I've thought long enough, I'm trading the TSX for a G37s.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by hrj
^ This is the reason why I lost my motivation to mod my TSX, no matter how much you spend on the car, it will never be as fast as a Nissan/Infiniti or as fun as "torquer car". Well, the last one might be a little harsh, but that's my opinion.
I'm getting tired of having to rev the car really high to get power, with a mild push on G's throttle, you can easily speed up the car, no need extra effort.
The G35 to me, just flat out drives and feels bigger. More powerful, most definitely, but I still prefer the TSX. I prefer the 4 cylinder for no other reason than it working harder with less, and I prefer the nimble lighter feel as opposed to the pseudo-germanic heavy weighted feel.

In other words, I prefer the scalpel (TSX) to the sword (G35 and other more powerful cars).
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hrj
I'm surprised you didn't realize this from the beginning. I knew the TSX would be underpowered compared to the G35, but the G35 was also out of my price range. The TSX offered everything I wanted at a price I could afford. Extra power would've been a side benefit for me.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Nice write-up but yeah I have a hard on for 335i, go test drive that one and let us know. I like that new infiniti steering wheel so sexxxii~
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by hrj
LOL. You make it sound like the G35 is a Ferrari 430 or something. The G35 is still a low-to-mid 14 second car. Just for a reference, the much older BMW M3 is faster and now can be had for around $30k.

While I agree it would be plain foolish to turn the TSX into a drag car, saying it would be impossible to beat a G35 is giving Nissan undeserved supercar status. Come to think of it, if I had to pick the "funnest" to drive out of the Nissan lineup, might as well pick up a 350z over a heavier G37. The backseats in the coupe are useless anyway.

If a "torquier car" equals more fun, you should try the Dodge Magnum. The Hemi has far more torque than the smallish 3.5 of the Nissan.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Nope, it's not faster. IMO, the E46 M3 doesn't feel fast at all.
I'm not replacing the TSX as my only car. I have other car that should please my needs for speed. Don't get me wrong, I was not labeling the G as a supercar, it's just a perfect car to replace my TSX that has already aged as my daily driver. It is a perfect time to move on.
I'm judging fun to drive based on 1. Handling 2. HP/TQ 3. Interior Layout.
TSX does have two of them, but it doesn't have HP/TQ.
And I'm not a brand loyal. Honda has served me well.
TSX is a great car, it's been almost/more than 5 years since the model got out for sale (outside US). There is a better car out there and I can get it, so I'm getting it.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by hrj
Nope, it's not faster. IMO, the E46 M3 doesn't feel fast at all.
You took the bait. I picked that car on purpose.

The M3 is similar to many Hondas -- they have to be revved to 8k to take full advantage of its VANOS system. Unfortunately, many non-enthusiast drivers who simply think pushing the pedal to the floor defines power won't be able to feel the power because they don't know the car's sweet spot.

Look at the numbers. The M3 has more HP and does the 1/4 mile in less time. It's motor pushes 333 HP from only 3.0 liters. In short, it does more with less. I'm not impressed with 300 HP coming from 3.5 liters. I guess it's the former design engineer in me.

For some reason, this exchange reminds me of this co-worker of mine who said my old Integra "felt" slower than his V6 Accord. One day, I gave his car a good spanking at a stop light. He simply didn't know how to rev out the car.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

I'm fully aware of your words. I know that the M3 has a high revving engine. Sorry buddy. My brother owns one.

Fortunately due to its fairly big engine, it has torque at low end, but still, it doesn't feel fast compared to other car with boost from factory or other car with bigger displacement.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
VSA Rocks

When you drove your brother's car, you sure the e-brake wasn't up?

Seriously, if you don't believe me or the magazine times that have the M3 at more than half a second faster, so be it. I guess I could always say my wife's SUV "feels" faster than my modded TSX.

I've driven both. My cousin has a 6MT G35 w/ bolt-ons and my friend has a 2005 M3 w/ SMG. What RPM are you shifting at on the M3? 4k?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Lol. It was down.
I turned it on the highest rev just for playing. SMG is a very jerky transmission. DSG is way better.

Just for reference.

For the record. I've never said the M3 is faster than the G.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:23 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by hrj
For the record. I've never said the M3 is faster than the G.
Nope, it's not faster.

Yeah - the SMG is pretty jerky. It's tough to believe that it's actually DBW because it responds ultra quick. You could adjust the "smoothness" and speed of the shift, right?

On the other hand, our DBW is laggy, especially when taking your foot off the pedal. I'm sure they wanted this for comfort. Too bad we can't adjust it....

is that your bro's flickr gallery? If so, what's the link to the index?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Black_6spd

Yeah - the SMG is pretty jerky. It's tough to believe that it's actually DBW because it responds ultra quick. You could adjust the "smoothness" and speed of the shift, right?

On the other hand, our DBW is laggy, especially when taking your foot off the pedal. I'm sure they wanted this for comfort. Too bad we can't adjust it....

is that your bro's flickr gallery? If so, what's the link to the index?
I just uploaded it onto my flickr account. I'll PM you the photoshoot session. I don't want anyone to know. Just like my TSX. If you search, I've never posted any images of my TSX.

I don't know, I rarely drive the car. Besides, he's no longer live with me. We are Int. Student. He moved to CA last semester. I'll be moving to CA tomorrow.

Oops I thought you are referring to an older M3. My bro's is the E46. The E92 hasn't come out yet. Hmm.. I just looked at BMWusa, they don't sell E46 anymore.
Oh well, it's quite confusing chatting with you. Btw, we are already way off topic for this thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:51 PM
10th Gear

You are comparing a FWD and RWD car and most prefer one over the other for subjective reasons.

I drive a BMW 530i, TL Type S and a TSX. The BMW has the best overall handling, yet is very bad on snow and ice, the TL Type S is best overall car while the TSX is the most engaging to drive. And that just my opinion. I wonder what best car means. I wish more cars were like the TSX which has great overall balance - not too heavy, not too light, not too hard, not too soft, not too cheap, not too expensive, not too simple, not too complex, not too small, not too big....... just right. I hope they produce a lightweight AWD version of this type of car someday which drives more or less like the TSX where that would be a real improvement.

Quick Reply: TSX and the G35S