TSX & Amtrak Auto Train

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX & Amtrak Auto Train

My 06 TSX and I will be making a trip down to Florida in March on Amtrak's Auto Train. The info provided by Amtrak when I bought the tickets notes that any car alarm should be disabled before loading the car on the train. Otherwise the movement of the train could set it off constantly while enroute (an 18 hour trip), which could then drain the battery.

Is this something to be concerned about with the standard security package on the 06 TSX? If so, how would I disable the security system?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing of any experiences TSX owners have had in riding the Auto Train.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my dad picked mine up in florida and brought it back toi philly on the auto train...he said it is painfully slow, but no problems with the car..prob just like reall sensitive aftermarket alarms
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sensitive to any motion or breakage sensors, both of which we don't have OEM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
boost owns

And if you were concerned about this you could just disconnect the battery once the car's on the train.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Originally Posted by Audioserf
And if you were concerned about this you could just disconnect the battery once the car's on the train.
bu you dont get to stay with your car, they load it on and then they load it off.
just thinking that they prob wont want to go around disconnecting batteries
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just leave it alone. There's nothing to be worried about anyway.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by dmassott
bu you dont get to stay with your car, they load it on and then they load it off.
just thinking that they prob wont want to go around disconnecting batteries
Good point. As modaway says, though - our OEM alarms don't have any functionality that could prove problematic on a train journey, so it's a non-issue.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

yeah no issues, my dad got lucky cause they said the unloading pprocess could take liek an hour or two....and my car was the first one off!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
My 06 TSX and I will be making a trip down to Florida in March on Amtrak's Auto Train. ....
Take out all personal objects (from armrest, from CD changer, from door pockets). Provide valet key. Lock glovebox if you want to leave paperwork in but make sure it isn't snagged. Other than that, maybe just make sure you have a low deductible on your comprehensive insurance (doing it for only one month can pay off if there's damage).
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
My 06 TSX and I will be making a trip down to Florida in March on Amtrak's Auto Train.
Best advice I can give you is, if you're getting off the train in Sanford, don't unlock the doors or roll down the windows until you get far away from the station, that ain't exactly the best part of town

And enjoy your stay in the Sunshine state!

As far as the alarm is concerned, it shouldn't be an issue. As long as nobody's going to be opening your doors or trying to hot wire the car, it won't go off. The factory system doesn't have shock sensors or glass breakage sensors to go off. The ones they refer to in their literature are the aftermarket ones that do. The aftermarket system in my POS Neon would go off all the time. First, somebody would bump the car, which would set it off. Then it would sense a voltage drop (because it was going off) and it would go off again! It was truly an endless cycle until I got out there with the key fob, or the battery finally died. But you don't have to worry with those hassles with a factory system.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by litesout
Best advice I can give you is, if you're getting off the train in Sanford, don't unlock the doors or roll down the windows until you get far away from the station, that ain't exactly the best part of town

And enjoy your stay in the Sunshine state!
Hey Litesout!
Some of us live in Sanford you know!
True, the AutoTrain stop isn't in the best part of Sanford, but our town and neighboring area are IMHO some of the most beautiful areas of Orlando and Central Florida. Not sure what part you live in but, the majority of the Lake Mary-Sanford Suburban-plex is a great place to live and work, thank you very much! :-)

OP - if you're interested, the area has some great restaurants i'd be happy to direct you towards before you head on your journey!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

The factory system doesn't have shock sensors or glass breakage sensors to go off.
I thought we had breakage sensors! If not, what's the 2 little grid screens one by the ignition and the other by the blue light lamp by the visor? I know one of the 2 is the climate control sensor, but I was almost sure the other ought to be the glass breakage sensor!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The one by the ignition is the ambient air temperature sensor and the one by the blue light is the mic for the voice command stuff.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
East Coast Crew

Or do what I do....drive down from New York to Florida
Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by kanonen
I thought we had breakage sensors! If not, what's the 2 little grid screens one by the ignition and the other by the blue light lamp by the visor? I know one of the 2 is the climate control sensor, but I was almost sure the other ought to be the glass breakage sensor!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
The one by the ignition is the ambient air temperature sensor and the one by the blue light is the mic for the voice command stuff.
thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Originally Posted by davidspalding
yep I know, I am sure most answers are written in the manual or somewhere else.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Oliver!!!

Originally Posted by PittIsIt
Hey Litesout!
Some of us live in Sanford you know!
True, the AutoTrain stop isn't in the best part of Sanford, but our town and neighboring area are IMHO some of the most beautiful areas of Orlando and Central Florida. Not sure what part you live in but, the majority of the Lake Mary-Sanford Suburban-plex is a great place to live and work, thank you very much! :-)

OP - if you're interested, the area has some great restaurants i'd be happy to direct you towards before you head on your journey!
Oh, I totally agree with you there! I lived in Geneva for about 10 years and worked in Heathrow for a while. My Dad still teaches at SCC. Lake Mary is a beautiful community. I was just talking about the area right around the Amtrak station. Its pretty rough right around there.

And speaking of restaurants, if you find yourself in downtown Oviedo, visit the Townhouse restaurant.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kanonen
yep I know, I am sure most answers are written in the manual or somewhere else.
There are a lot of ad hoc answers and experience which are not covered there, and that is where this forum really shines. But you'll have more traction with other users here if you are familiar with what's in the OM. Just a suggestion.

If you haven't browsed the FAQ forum, you owe it to yourself to do so. TONS of information and DIY threads which go above and beyond the Acura OM. (And the online links to the OMs are there, too.)
Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
for EVER more!

Oh, I totally agree with you there! I lived in Geneva for about 10 years and worked in Heathrow for a while. My Dad still teaches at SCC. Lake Mary is a beautiful community. I was just talking about the area right around the Amtrak station. Its pretty rough right around there.

And speaking of restaurants, if you find yourself in downtown Oviedo, visit the Townhouse restaurant.
I might just take the lady to townhouse this weekend! :-)
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Oliver!!!

I love the Townhouse! Been going there since high school whenever I'm in the area. Its a very local kind of establishment. Think diner, but not one of those cheesy 50s knock offs. Their breakfast is where they truly shine. Real eggs, grits, bacon. A good southern style meal. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! I'd be there all the time if I didn't live almost an hour away. I just don't make it over to that side of town very often.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Take out all personal objects (from armrest, from CD changer, from door pockets). Provide valet key. Lock glovebox if you want to leave paperwork in but make sure it isn't snagged. Other than that, maybe just make sure you have a low deductible on your comprehensive insurance (doing it for only one month can pay off if there's damage).
Great advice from David. When I was a bit more naive during this trip several years ago, I had $30 in rolled quarters (for tolls before I had a need for EZ Pass) stolen from my center console by the guy driving my car off the train in Lorton, VA.

I approached my car just as the guy started walking away after driving it off the train, and he hustled off. I didn't think much of it until I'd turned out of the station and thought to lift my center arm rest and saw that 3 of the 4 rolls of quarters were missing. At least he left me one. I knew I couldn't prove anything and was pressed for time to continue a transfer to CT. I figured it was a relatively inexpensive lesson.

I did enjoy the ride up on the train. It was relaxing... like flying, but with much better seats and decent food (from what I recall).