TSX in 10/02 issue of C&D

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
TSX in 10/02 issue of C&D

I came across a single-page article on the TSX in the October 2002 issue of Car & Driver. It shows a mildly-camouflaged TSX undergoing some testing and mentions some details about what was to come. Of special interest is a statement saying that "no V6 is expected".

I have scanned the article and can e-mail it to somebody if they'd like to host it.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX-S2000:

I'll host it...send it my way.

-Spencer
Old 09-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Advanced

TSX-S2000:

Ooops!

Send it to this email addy: spencer@gbiswebdesign.com.

Thanks,
Spencer
Old 09-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Thanks TSX-S2000 for sharing this nice clip with us! Here is the scan that was provided by TSX-S2000:

Old 09-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Wow, they had it right on way back when... And we never knew.... even down to the engine size, the name, and the similarity between it and the M6. Where was this a year ago? Why did this slip between our fingers before we were sure of the cars release? And why, when people saw these pictures, didnt Acura realize how boring the exterior of the car was, and try to make some improvements before going on sale?

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:57 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bowersan
And why, when people saw these pictures, didnt Acura realize how boring the exterior of the car was, and try to make some improvements before going on sale?

J.

By the time this picture was taken it was probably well past the point where they could make any real changes to the look of the car. Besides, I am sure they were quite aware of what the car they built looked like a long long time ago and were happy with it.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:58 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Wow, they had it right on way back when... And we never knew.... even down to the engine size, the name, and the similarity between it and the M6. Where was this a year ago?
Hmmm. I assume many people saw this. (I did.) And news of the Acura UD (code name for the TSX) started surfacing as early as May 2002.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Changing the exterior of the car would mean new tooling and new design money to make things different than the Japan/European model. Remember that pic is the TSX testing not the Japan/Euro Accord, the Accord was already finalized for Japan/Euro sale.

I remember seeing that article back then as well, but I just never thought of it.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I know all your answers. Its not that i'm unaware of them, it's just that i'm particularily unhappy with them. As we have seen by the 04 TL, the TSX design has so much potential to look amazing... but instead, its just lacking that extra je ne sais quoi. I guess Im just going to have to come to terms that I bought a large-volume car (sales in the entire rest of the world minus the US), and as a result the styling had to suffer for the sake of sales.

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:06 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I know all your answers. Its not that i'm unaware of them, it's just that i'm particularily unhappy with them. As we have seen by the 04 TL, the TSX design has so much potential to look amazing... but instead, its just lacking that extra je ne sais quoi. I guess Im just going to have to come to terms that I bought a large-volume car (sales in the entire rest of the world minus the US), and as a result the styling had to suffer for the sake of sales.

J.

Are you saying the TL is better? The TSX and TL are almost identical to me. The biggest difference being the tail lights and that ugly scar down the side.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I guess styling is subjective. Personally, there is osmething about the TL that attracts me more- the single split intake, the proportions... when I look at the new TL (without the skirts) something just 'fits' better... it looks like a TSX that worked out for a year or two, and suddenly you find yourself asking yourself 'man, when did she get so hot"?

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
Are you saying the TL is better? The TSX and TL are almost identical to me. The biggest difference being the tail lights and that ugly scar down the side.
Don't forget the flared fenders on the TL.

I'm more surprised that bowersan does'nt really like the styling of the TSX? Well I should'nt say not like but your not entirely happy with it either.

I personally could'nt be happier with the stlying of the TSX. I LOVE the look. Clean front end. smooth lines and the way the trunk had sort of a lip as well. Heck I even like the rims. Anyone not sure if the TSX is striking do this (and this may be difficult or impossible for some) Have someone else drive away in the TSX while you stand outside watching it come in or go away. I've done this several times when my wife goes out or comes home and thats when I've noticed how striking the car can be. It looks so much better when its moving.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:14 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I guess styling is subjective. Personally, there is osmething about the TL that attracts me more- the single split intake, the proportions... when I look at the new TL (without the skirts) something just 'fits' better... it looks like a TSX that worked out for a year or two, and suddenly you find yourself asking yourself 'man, when did she get so hot"?

J.
Ya...there is something slightly better looking about it. Cant really put my finger on it, but I think it might be its height to width ratio and its stance. The TL sits lower, and is wider which makes it look more sporty and aggressive. The TSX is more tall and narrow. But they both look extremely similar.

EDIT: Bower , what do you think of the titanuim accord that was posted. It sits lower and has the flared fenders. DO you like it?
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2404
Old 09-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Maybe thats it. In reference to the TSX's look- I mean, there is just something that's not right about it whenever I look at it- too tall, bad design for the air intake, ugly rear (thats forsure).
The best view of the TSX occurs when you stand at its side... and you manage to avoid the rear entirely.

As for Domn's message- dont get me wrong. Its not that I hate the TSX's exterior. I dont. It just does nothing for me in particular. And to reply to your comment about liking the rims: while they are nice, what I cant stand about them is how the Accord Coupe EX-V6 comes standard with the exact same ones. (There is one in my building that parks two spaces over from me. Every day I find myself saying "wow, those rims look just like mine"- its cause they are!

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:28 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Maybe thats it. In reference to the TSX's look- I mean, there is just something that's not right about it whenever I look at it- too tall, bad design for the air intake, ugly rear (thats forsure).
The best view of the TSX occurs when you stand at its side... and you manage to avoid the rear entirely.

As for Domn's message- dont get me wrong. Its not that I hate the TSX's exterior. I dont. It just does nothing for me in particular. And to reply to your comment about liking the rims: while they are nice, what I cant stand about them is how the Accord Coupe EX-V6 comes standard with the exact same ones. (There is one in my building that parks two spaces over from me. Every day I find myself saying "wow, those rims look just like mine"- its cause they are!

J.

Some people woud argue the back of the TSX is the best part. IN fact more than a few people have stated that on here. They love it. So its all subjective. And if you wanted the best view wouldnt a front view or 3/4 be better?

My fav view of the car is 3/4 and slightly elevated. I think the elevation helps it appear to have a lower stance. Looks awesome!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Originally posted by fdl

EDIT: Bower , what do you think of the titanuim accord that was posted. It sits lower and has the flared fenders. DO you like it?
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2404
I think it looks great, until you look at the back and front bumpers. The problem with this look, as Jon Ikeda stated on the concept TL minisite, is that when you try to accomplish Bauhaus design, you dont need to be detailed and complicated to make something look beautiful, you just need to know how utilize simple lines and utilize them correctly... The TSX to a TL looks like the foundation- Ikeda must have said "okay, we have this. How can we make it look good'? What im asking is, why didnt the original designers of the TSX say 'how can WE make the original design look good?" Why is the TSX so tall? Why are the rear lights so plain and, well, plain?

The Accord concept is a step in the right direction for the TSX- however, its flawed is that its designers were thinking about 'boy-racer' agressive.. when they should have been thinking 'classy agressive'

J.
Edit- notice how when you look at the rear quarter of the Accord concept, see how much it resembles the A4? Thats something to aspire to. Audi/VW has it going on when it comes to design.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:36 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think it looks great, until you look at the back and front bumpers. The problem with this look, as Jon Ikeda stated on the concept TL minisite, is that when you try to accomplish Bauhaus design, you dont need to be detailed and complicated to make something look beautiful, you just need to know how utilize simple lines and utilize them correctly... The TSX to a TL looks like the foundation- Ikeda must have said "okay, we have this. How can we make it look good'? What im asking is, why didnt the original designers of the TSX say 'how can WE make the original design look good?" Why is the TSX so tall? Why are the rear lights so plain and, well, plain?

The Accord concept is a step in the right direction for the TSX- however, its flawed is that its designers were thinking about 'boy-racer' agressive.. when they should have been thinking 'classy agressive'

J.
Edit- notice how when you look at the rear quarter of the Accord concept, see how much it resembles the A4? Thats something to aspire to. Audi/VW has it going on when it comes to design.

So why'd you buy a TSX then?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And to reply to your comment about liking the rims: while they are nice, what I cant stand about them is how the Accord Coupe EX-V6 comes standard with the exact same ones. (There is one in my building that parks two spaces over from me. Every day I find myself saying "wow, those rims look just like mine"- its cause they are!

J.

What are you talking about J? The Accord Coupe V6 Automatic and Accord Sedan V6 have the same rims which are 16's. So your saying the Accord Coupe V6 MT which comes with 17's has the same rims as the TSX? They're very different from what I can remember??
Old 09-18-2003, 11:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Check out this link
How are thsoe the same ar the TSX rims ??

http://www.honda.ca/Personalise/Hond...175791&yr=2003
Old 09-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Well, the exterior design of a car isn't the be-all-end-all factor when purchasing a car. I asked myself primarily where I would be spending most of my time with this car, sitting inside or staring outside. Since most of my time would be in the actual thing, the interior mattered to me more... And then comes the price/value, the origin of the car, and the reliability issue..... All signs pointed me to the TSX.

But if I had $45,000 instead of the $35,000 (all figures CDN), would I have bought an A4?

Frankly, I dont know. As i've mentioned before, when you put the BMW 3, A4, and TSX beside eachother, you can tell which one is the cheapest without even thinking... But that doesnt mean that i'm unhappy. I know what the TSX is, I know what I want out of it, and to be honest, Im not complaining... Im just saying it would have been nice if it's looks were up to par.

When it all comes down to it, its a high-volume Accord. The look couldnt be any different. I just think, when Acura restyles the TSX in 4 years, that taking the then-all-new Euro Accord body style wont be enough.
This is a low volume niche car... you cant fill that niche with a high-volume design, imo.

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Originally posted by domn
Check out this link
How are thsoe the same ar the TSX rims ??

EX-V6 AUTO

check that out

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I gotta think J's roomate has logged in to acura-tsx.com on J PC and decided to pose as J.

Here's the EX-V6 Coupe Auto Link with 16 inch Rims

Old 09-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

If you see them beside the TSX- they are identical in design - an inch difference still looks close enough alike...

And belive me Domn, its me... only I could complain as much as this for no reason.

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

EX-V6 AUTO

check that out

J.

I posted the link too

Firstly there 16's, secondly they look nothing alike IMO. Maybe I look at the details too much and I guess I can see someone who does'nt know either car very well being confused about the rims but put the side by side and I don't think so. Our TSX rims get thicker on each spoke that goes outward. The Accord rims get thnner.

Hey, log off as J and create your own username please
Old 09-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Bah! Domn youre aggrivating me!!! I HOPE YOUR FIXED POWER SEAT STARTS VIBRATING AGAIN.

lol

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

One thing I must admit at the risk of offending SSM TSX owners. The car IMO looks too plain Jane in Silver and thats why I personally changed from SSM to Indigo at the last minute. Ya my cars purple, barney etc... but its a unique color that makes the car stand out alittle and look different from the other 40% of silver cars on the road.

You know what J, thats what I was thinking back at the meet as well. The silvers did'nt stand out as much. White's the best though.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I just wished we had the option of MSM or CG here... or even NBP with ebony interior.

I would have gotten the CG without thinking over the SS.... but i would have liked to check out the MSM too.. and in my opinion, theres no reason to check out a black car unless it has a black interior...

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

If they had Milano Red with Ebony. I'd be in that right now. In fact my wife even wanted to wait a year to see if it came out in 05. If it does, I'm gonna kill somebody at Honda.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Hahhahahahahahahahahah..... Yeah, that'd be a sweet colour combo... though im not convinced that i like the milano red... if you got the Redondo red on black.. (the red thats now on the new TL and the RSX, look like deep dark red) that'd be SMOKIN.

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Anyways, i gotta get back to reading about marxist theories of international relations, and you gotta get back to Kodak!

Talk to you guys again soon when i have something else to complain about. :P
J.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:19 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Classic buyers remorse.

BTW, I think SSM is the nicest looking color for his car, even thought silver is so common.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Dont get me wrong. I not unhappy AT ALL with my colour. I think it looks great.

J.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks are completey subjective. My sister's A4 and my Dad's 3-series do not look any better to me than my TSX. In fact, I love the way the TSX looks inside and out. But, I think that is at least partially a factor of loving the color of my car (meteor silver).

I certainly don't think the styling of the TSX reveals that is is "cheaper" than the Audi or BMW. I do think, however, that the TSX is derivative.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

and you gotta get back to Kodak!

Think of your mom's Digital Camera J not Kodak
Old 09-18-2003, 01:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

You work for Kodak dom? I figured you would have worked for Husky
Old 09-18-2003, 01:29 PM
such a dirty birdy

What im asking is, why didnt the original designers of the TSX say 'how can WE make the original design look good?" Why is the TSX so tall? Why are the rear lights so plain and, well, plain?
I think it's more a case of the Honda/Acura financial guys saying "how can we bring this car to the NA market as cheaply as possible?" Yes, there's some differences like engine, springs, stock 17's, some options etc. But I'm sure all of those were subjected to a cost/benefit analysis to determine what would be necessary to make the car a viable product. IMO, the looks pass the "good enough" test right off the bat, so I'd rather my money goes toward the other stuff.

That said, I did slightly prefer the outside looks/design of the Mazda 6. But as you state, bowersan, I'm going to spend way more time on the inside looking out than the other way around. The TSX isn't breathtaking, but it is certainly classy and attractive in an understated sort of way, which is just fine /w me.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
You work for Kodak dom? I figured you would have worked for Husky

I wish I worked at Husky I could walk to work. Then again I would'nt need my TSX so that may be a bad idea.
J's memory is pretty short, he must have too much homework, I actually work for Canon.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I actually knew you work for Canon... you remember talking to my mom about our Ixus 3.2 megapixel.... I was have a Marxist lapse.
BAH!

hehe

J.