TSX = killing my knee!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX = killing my knee!!!

So I just picked up an 06' w/ 40k on the clock. I love the way it looks, drives, etc although I seem to have run into a major flaw!

I generally rest my right knee against the left side of the center console when cruising. I've owned 4 cars before this one and it's super comfortable for me.

My problem is Honda put a ridge down the side of the center console where your leg rests against. It makes it unbearable for longer trips not to walk away w/ serious knee pain. I drove an hour from work and had a hard time walking up the stairs to my kitchen!

Has anyone else noticed this or run into this problem. Hopefully I'm not alone and someone can provide a remedy.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Intermediate

Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed that but it doesn't bother me. Not sure there is anything you can do man.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sorry to hear that-Do not have that problem with my 06 tsx with almost 110,000 miles. I drive from NC to NJ and back every few weeks. It is about 635 miles one-way and takes 9-10 hours.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Why don't you get some padding and velcro tape that to the side of the console where your knee goes. Padding that some violist use to rest their chin might work.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I've picked up that I rest my leg against it but instead of hurting, it just gets sweaty.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xradman
Why don't you get some padding and velcro tape that to the side of the console where your knee goes. Padding that some violist use to rest their chin might work.
I thought about doing this, it's just tough to velcro a pad to the inside of my pristine interior. I feel like an old man doing this!

gweedo, lol, turn up the AC for the sweaty knee problem
Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
TSX 2005 Manual

The TSX is a small car (for me at least, I am 6'3) and that is expected. What I do, is pull the seat a bit farther than normal, so my legs are flatter and it is my lower leg that rests on the side of the center console not my knee. People have different driving postures, that's why the decision to buy a car also depends on how comfortable the seats are to your posture and style. So I don't think it is that major of a flaw for the size of the car.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kanonen
The TSX is a small car (for me at least, I am 6'3) and that is expected. What I do, is pull the seat a bit farther than normal, so my legs are flatter and it is my lower leg that rests on the side of the center console not my knee. People have different driving postures, that's why the decision to buy a car also depends on how comfortable the seats are to your posture and style. So I don't think it is that major of a flaw for the size of the car.
I'm coming from an acura integra (much smaller car, which had much more legroom), it's definitely not the flaw of the car per se, but a flaw in the design of the center console. It looks real nice but isn't the most functional in terms of side to side legroom

I may try the violin pillow trick, thx xradman
Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I'm 6'3" also and it can be very uncomfortable on long trips on my right leg leaning against the console.

I had the original problem of my hip joint hurting on long trips until I realized it was from my fat wallet in my pocket messing up my hip alignment causing pain. The wallet is thinned out and it goes in the center console on long trips.

I've just got into the habit to wearing slip on shoes on long trips. With my size 14 shoes, going shoeless provides me with 2-3 inches of extra leg room. I take of the shoes and toss in the back seat and this give me just enough room to change the angle of my leg to prevent any pain on long trips (anything over +2hrs).
Old 08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
RGoose18:

Is that an actual picture of your car's interior or is it from another car?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm 6'3" also and it can be very uncomfortable on long trips on my right leg leaning against the console.
I'm 6'1" and I dunno how you can stand it. I figure since I drive w/ my left hand at 12 (left handed) I'm shifting my weight to the right side and it makes it a bit worse. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and figure out where to go from there. I'm very surprised in Honda's design on this, form over function for sure.

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
RGoose18:

Is that an actual picture of your car's interior or is it from another car?
Just a googled photo
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RGoose18
I'm 6'1" and I dunno how you can stand it. I figure since I drive w/ my left hand at 12 (left handed) I'm shifting my weight to the right side and it makes it a bit worse. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and figure out where to go from there. I'm very surprised in Honda's design on this, form over function for sure.

Just a googled photo
I think you'd find that part of the reason that's it's not an issue (or more of an issue) is that my guess is that few people rest their leg against the console (I certainly don't and I drive allot of miles. It never occurred to me I guess). I'd suggest either modify your driving position or get a different car. I really don't think it's a Honda thing. I've owned allot of cars and find the TSX to be one of the most comfortable. But..... everyone's built a little differently, so we can't all be comfortable, all the time. I'm ambidextrous, and drive for the most part with my hands at at 2 and 8 or 10 and 4. I don't quite see why hand position has a bearing on where you rest your legs, but... if you say it does, then maybe that's something to look at too.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I think you'd find that part of the reason that's it's not an issue (or more of an issue) is that my guess is that few people rest their leg against the console (I certainly don't and I drive allot of miles. It never occurred to me I guess). I'd suggest either modify your driving position or get a different car. I really don't think it's a Honda thing. I've owned allot of cars and find the TSX to be one of the most comfortable. But..... everyone's built a little differently, so we can't all be comfortable, all the time. I'm ambidextrous, and drive for the most part with my hands at at 2 and 8 or 10 and 4. I don't quite see why hand position has a bearing on where you rest your legs, but... if you say it does, then maybe that's something to look at too.
I've switched my driving position to where my knee is not touching the console at all. It seems to be working although I'm not as comfortable as I was in the old clunker integra.

I'm surprised that honda made the lower portions in such a unforgiving plastic as they did. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out on my next vehicle purchase

Also just to answer your question, hand position plays a role in that it alters hip position, which in turn affects leg/knee position
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

TSX has been the most comfortable car I've owned.

I'm only 5'9" so its a bit different.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by campaiar
TSX has been the most comfortable car I've owned.

I'm only 5'9" so its a bit different.
lol, this is an instance where I wish I was short!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Keep the car you have for at least until the next generation are built to see how comfortable the seats will be. You couldn't imagine how painful long drives were in my sister's 08 Accord. Those seats were the hardest padding I have ever felt on any Accord and I have been driving Accords since the 4th gen.

Getting back to the OP's original question, Honda had to add that side if they want a door in there. Personally I would rather have the room and have something like what was in the 6th gen.

I can fit those small tissue boxes in there.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

^ I agree, my old accord had the same setup and it was MUCH more comfortable. The room side to side in my car is pretty pathetic. Now I see why most TSX drivers are women!

Aside from this issue it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. Decent pickup, great mileage, great looking, etc, just stinks honda had this oversight
Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by RGoose18

Just a googled photo
I am also left-handed-tried driving with my left hand at 12-did not last long. I tend to drive with it at about 9 so I can rest my arm on the door handle so I can change the radio station and volume easier.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"left-hand at 12" meaning you drive gangster-like?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GWEEDOspeedo
"left-hand at 12" meaning you drive gangster-like?

Yeah, and I make sure to have my gold teeth in and my 22" spinners on at all times
Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Interesting how the differences in people's anatomy and driving positions can affect driving comfort so significantly. I've had my '04 for almost seven years -- just a couple of months until the anniversary -- and there are more than 93,000 miles on the odometer. My basic driving position has never changed, and it has my right knee resting against the console, pretty much even with the bottom of the CD compartment (and therefore the top of the Not An Ashtray compartment.) I suppose the car would be more comfortable to sit in if my knee didn't have to be up against a hard surface, but I've never been bothered by the knee-to-console contact. I really never give it a thought. By the way, I'm 5-10 and have relatively long legs for my height. (I believe the term is short-waisted.)
Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried to lean my right knee to the right, but my seat support won't let me. My leg rests on the seat way before my knee can reach the console.

Personally I prefer not to be lazy with my right leg. It's the one that interacts with the throttle and gas pedal...and I'd rather have the ability to slam on the brakes quickly rather than waste some time trying to bring it up into position. I guess that's why my seat support is still able to keep my leg away from the console.