Trans fluid change at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I can't comment on the price, but I would suggest that you insist on a 3X drain and fill for the first time. I realize that you have no real way on knowing whether or not they do it; the risk inherent in auto service I guess. If you're at all mechanically inclined, you might want to consider doing it yourself; it's really easy. All you'd need is 9 bottles of Honda ATF and a new drain washer (to be refitted after the last drain)(and maybe a few new push rivets since in my experience it's virtually impossible to remove the belly pan without ruining at least a couple of those)(and yes, that's even with special pliers designed to remove the rivets).
well that's the thing.. I want to make sure if I pay 125 to DCH, they are actually doing the 2x D&F. i'll try to see if i can go in and watch them do it. because the $90 at Open Road Honda is for only 1X drain and fill, I called and the guy confirmed it.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Proud Acura Owner

so I ended up buying 9qts of fluid from Honda for 7 bucks a pop, and washer.. I went to this local shop and got a 3X drain and fill done.. I watched over them while they did it.. so good to go. I had them drain it once, then fill it.. then I drove a few miles, came back and repeated it and filled 3qts at the end and changed the washer
Old 07-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
so I ended up buying 9qts of fluid from Honda for 7 bucks a pop, and washer.. I went to this local shop and got a 3X drain and fill done.. I watched over them while they did it.. so good to go. I had them drain it once, then fill it.. then I drove a few miles, came back and repeated it and filled 3qts at the end and changed the washer
Good move. Now you know it's done and having changed it out 3 times, you've got pretty much all new fluid in there (impossible to get it all out, but the 3X method seems to be close enough). Now..... how about brake fluid? Ever changed that? (interval is every 3 years regardless of mileage).
Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Good move. Now you know it's done and having changed it out 3 times, you've got pretty much all new fluid in there (impossible to get it all out, but the 3X method seems to be close enough). Now..... how about brake fluid? Ever changed that? (interval is every 3 years regardless of mileage).
yea i'm going there again to get the brake fluid flushed and lines bleeded.. they only charge $70 for it, so not bad at all. then after that, i'm doing a coolant flush.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Yikes!! It is not recommended to "flush" the transmission fluid, even Honda says so. Drain and refill is the proper procedure.
Yeah this is what my mechanic informed me to do, he's been working on these things for years.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I change out my engine Oil every 2500 miles with Synthetic Mobil 1 and every 3 oil changes I change out the Transmission Oil with Honda Approved ATF, so basically I change out the Transmission Fluid every 7500 miles.

I did that on my 1996 2.5TL and got 208,000 and sold her, from what I understand she is still running strong, according to the guy I sold her too.

My 2004 TL and my 2005 TSX I basically do the same and right now the TL has 80,400 Miles and the TSX has 72,300 miles, some people may think I am crazy but as for me its just a better piece of mind thing. Valley Stream Acura maintains my cars and know me very well, they said I am waisting my money by doing that, but the are very surprised at the way I try to take care of my cars.

They always tell me, wether it be the service rep or the tech, that if I am interested in selling any of my cars to let them know cause they would like first dibs on it knowing how I am with them.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbysTL
I change out my engine Oil every 2500 miles with Synthetic Mobil 1...
Every 2,500 miles? Do you have deep pockets? I agree with your dealership; you're the type of person I'd like to buy a used car from too.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Pro

Thanks PACman:

The way I see it is our cars are a pretty expensive investment and if you really take care of your car, your car will take care of you. The Oil is the Blood of the engine as well as the Tranny fluid. I would rather spend the $76 for the Synthetic Oil Change every 2,500 as opposed to having engine failure later, same goes with the Tranny. Plus being a good customer at Valley Stream Acura, they sometimes give me perks like mechanics discounts, and especially if I buy stuff from the sales dept, they always try and throw me a 20% discount. The folks there are really pleasant to deal with, Norman the Manager is a Gem and Courtney is a Sweetheart. Sometimes if I drop off the car for an oil change and its longer than an hour wait they will give me a ride home...with the customer service I get there, I think I will continue to purchase Acuras and continue to bring them to Valley Stream Acura. They built a great product and they are pretty honest with me.

Paragon Acura on the other hand I can complain about for days...talk about theives and liers!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Pro

Hey PACman:

YOu should see the binders I have for my cars, I have every receipt for every stitch of work I have done to the car, wether it be LED's, Services, or Upgrades, I keep each receipt in a clear plastic sleeve and placed in a binder with a pic of the car on the cover and the vin number on the binding. Talk about being a GEEK!!!, I sold my 1995 Acura 2.5 TL with a 3" binder filled with receipts, and some of the stuff will still be covered by my mechanic under warranty for a year. The guy who bought my car was very impressed. He got a good deal from me, sold my Old Girl for $2000, had a lot more than that invested in her, granted the body was a little dinged up as that was my work car, but it was a 96' with 208,000 and this is to be expected, and tend to visit alot of construction sites in not to promising neighborhoods, but it was the shinest beater in the neighborhood, and the interior was in mint condition.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbysTL
Hey PACman:

YOu should see the binders I have for my cars, I have every receipt for every stitch of work I have done to the car, wether it be LED's, Services, or Upgrades, I keep each receipt in a clear plastic sleeve and placed in a binder with a pic of the car on the cover and the vin number on the binding. Talk about being a GEEK!!
Wow, my wife does the same thing for her car, chronologically, but minus the picture on the cover. I just keep mine in a vanilla envelope