Trailer Hitch Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Hitch Bike Rack

Has anyone been able to get a trailer hitch mounted on their TSX to support a bike rack. I want to swap an SUV for a TSX, but I've got to have a way to carry my bikes. Roof racks are too ugly and too noisy.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Instructor

if you don't mind me piggy-backing your topic with a corollary question concerning single bicycles...

Is the trunk big enough that (when the back seats are flipped down, using the pass-through) you can fit either a mountain or hybrid/cruiser-type bike?

answer my question first please.
(snickering in the corner)
Old 07-24-2003, 11:21 PM
wiz
Pro

I don't see why a trailer hitch would not work on a TSX. They may not have any out yet, but I'm sure they will, if they don't already. The best hitch racks that I've seen are the ones that have the bikes standing straight up, and you can fold them up to be parallel with the back of the car (perpendicular to the ground). Have you even looked to see if anybody will put a hitch on the TSX yet?
Old 07-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Of the Honda UK site they have a trailer hitch option, but I haven't seen any offered here yet. The Euro hitch is not the same as ours, but it does have a "hide-away" feature on the Euro version.

Also, when I first read the title of the thread, I thought someone was going to as about towing something like a boat or something. Could you even imagine???
Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

I towed a 5' * 8' uhaul trailer many times, for many miles with my 1994 Camry V6. It had a bit more torque though.. I wouldn't try that with my TSX.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:26 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some cars look very cool with a roof rack..TSX is not one of them.

Anywas..I too will be looking for a hitch/rack to carry bikes. Or I may just use the trunk with both wheels off the bike. Dont know if i could get more than one bike in that way though.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Racer

I doubt 2 bikes will fit considering the pass-through is v-shaped and pretty narrow. One would have to get drop clothes to cover up the seats too...wouldn't want that leather scratched in anyway.
And as for the trailer hitch option, that would need to be specialized, considering that we have the rear diffuser at the back under the gas tank. (shown at vtec.net)
I thought about the on top of the trunk and bumper racks, but I'm worried that it would weaken the bumper clips over time.
The only safe option is the rook rack, but not too pretty....
Old 07-25-2003, 05:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by wiz
I don't see why a trailer hitch would not work on a TSX. They may not have any out yet, but I'm sure they will, if they don't already. The best hitch racks that I've seen are the ones that have the bikes standing straight up, and you can fold them up to be parallel with the back of the car (perpendicular to the ground). Have you even looked to see if anybody will put a hitch on the TSX yet?
I've found a shop that specializes in welding custom hitches for cars. That makes me a little nervous though. I was hoping for some sort of factory option. I just stopped by the dealer today and that isn't available. The Saab 9-3 comes with a factory hitch for a bike rack, so I was keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by moda_way
Of the Honda UK site they have a trailer hitch option, but I haven't seen any offered here yet. The Euro hitch is not the same as ours, but it does have a "hide-away" feature on the Euro version.

Also, when I first read the title of the thread, I thought someone was going to as about towing something like a boat or something. Could you even imagine???
That's good to know. Maybe it's just a matter of time. A "hide-away" feature would be ideal!

Also, I don't plan on doing any towing. That would be bad news.