Trade in your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trade in your TSX?

So, I've been thinking of getting an 02-03 RL. My dealer currently has an 02 RL with 57,000 miles. I'm going to put my TSX back to stock and was going to just trade it in, rather then sell it outright. So my question is what kind of trade-in offers did some of you guys get with 04's out there? I've got an 04 6MT w/navi and about 23,500 miles. I'm thinking at least $21K or 22K, no? I would say if its any less then I'll just sell it, but I would think that given the fact that its in perfect shape, really low mileage and a rare 6MT, it might be worth more to a dealer. Or to someone here?

Reason I'm doing this is because the wife and I are planning on having a baby soon, and she may quit work once we have the first. So, obviously I need to cut my car payment down.

I like the RL for a number of reasons (moreso the 05+'s, but its probably out of my payment range), and I think its the best out there for the price I'm looking for, which is between $15K-$20K.

I guess I could probably just refinance as well, but I'd rather not have my interest rate jump up just to refinance a used car. Though I guess I might be in the same boat if I picked up a used RL Just thinking out loud...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you try to get a used 2002-03 TL type S instead?

I've been contemplating getting rid of my TSX sometime too, I don't know yet. I do know that if I do replace it I want to get either an AWD car or smaller suv. I feel the TSX doesn't cut it for 4 seasons or if I want some extra space for hauling things.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

I'm in the same boat. It was nice for a while but I am thoroughly bored of the TSX and am looking what to trade up for.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Why don't you try to get a used 2002-03 TL type S instead?

I've been contemplating getting rid of my TSX sometime too, I don't know yet. I do know that if I do replace it I want to get either an AWD car or smaller suv. I feel the TSX doesn't cut it for 4 seasons or if I want some extra space for hauling things.
Yea, I was thinking about the TL-S, but its nice to have the extra room in the RL if we're going to put kids in the back.

An LS400 might be an option, but I can believe how much those things are going for! And the 430's, forget about it...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joerockt
Yea, I was thinking about the TL-S, but its nice to have the extra room in the RL if we're going to put kids in the back.
Of course, it will be a few years before the kid(s) you're planning on having grow enough where the TSX size will be an issue. Also, your expenditures are going to go up a bit when the kids arrive, so that is something else to consider.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
02/03 RL are almost the same price range as a 04 TSX. You might get a better off if you sell your TSX privately and put the extra equity into the RL.

My wife and I started looking at the Honda Ridgeline trucks. You can find some 06 models used for about $21,000 to $23,000 with under 25K on the odo. That would give you all the room you need for about the same $$$ of an RL. There also a used MDX or Honda Pilot all in the same price range and gas mileage as an RL.

When my son and daughter were toddlers, I needed a full size pick-up pulling a trailer to haul their “baby crap” around and I only had a Honda accord. My son is 9 now and my trunk in my 4-door accord is full of baseball/soccer/basketball gear.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
:ibnamechangetojoeoldfart:

BTW - I have a 2 year old and have no problems with space in the TSX. Its not perfect but isn't that what the wife's car is for?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Rebourne

I say sell the car privately if you're patient as you may get more money (obviously). The TSX resale value is pretty good, so I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the trade in value you'll probably be given.

As for the RL's. Make sure to get 03 over the 02 models as I think they have the updated clear tailights. There's a differnce in between the two.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

When i took my car to the dealership while i was looking at trading it in for an 06 The quoted me $17k for it and here is why. I had just finished dealing with a big accident that went through insurance, i had a bunce of mods including Tein Basics, and tinted windows (a few other things too). I told them i would put it back to stock and that is actually why they gave me $17k for it. They said it would have been $18 if the suspension had never been modded (crap but ok) and then the rest of the decrease was because of the accident and they couldn't resell it as a "certified pre-owned." Mine was an 04 5AT non navi though and also havd 40k miles on it. I would be willing to bet that your being a navi, 6MT, and only haveing 23,500 miles, you would probably get $20k. They won't give you more than that because they won't make much on the resale. I think if you sold it private you could get like $22-$23 so if it worth that extra $2-$3k then do it if not, then just trade it. Just make sure you take it there after you take all the mods off cause that will save you at least $1k in the trade in quote they give you. Just my
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
:ibnamechangetojoeoldfart:

BTW - I have a 2 year old and have no problems with space in the TSX. Its not perfect but isn't that what the wife's car is for?
Yea, Its OK on room for kid(s) in the back, but like I said I want to cut my payments. I still owe about $17K on it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by llJrockll
I say sell the car privately if you're patient as you may get more money (obviously). The TSX resale value is pretty good, so I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the trade in value you'll probably be given.

As for the RL's. Make sure to get 03 over the 02 models as I think they have the updated clear tailights. There's a differnce in between the two.
Yea, the ideal scenario would be to sell it. I figured though with the low mileage and the 6MT it might be desirable to an Acura dealer. Looks like the trade-in value for my car is $21,725. Not bad, but I could probably get about $2K more just selling it. For some reason, I just dont want to deal with it...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
When i took my car to the dealership while i was looking at trading it in for an 06 The quoted me $17k for it and here is why. I had just finished dealing with a big accident that went through insurance, i had a bunce of mods including Tein Basics, and tinted windows (a few other things too). I told them i would put it back to stock and that is actually why they gave me $17k for it. They said it would have been $18 if the suspension had never been modded (crap but ok) and then the rest of the decrease was because of the accident and they couldn't resell it as a "certified pre-owned." Mine was an 04 5AT non navi though and also havd 40k miles on it. I would be willing to bet that your being a navi, 6MT, and only haveing 23,500 miles, you would probably get $20k. They won't give you more than that because they won't make much on the resale. I think if you sold it private you could get like $22-$23 so if it worth that extra $2-$3k then do it if not, then just trade it. Just make sure you take it there after you take all the mods off cause that will save you at least $1k in the trade in quote they give you. Just my
Good suggestions. I'm definitely going to put it back to stock before I bring it in to be appraised. I guess I'll go that route first and if they dont give me at least $21K Then I'll just pass...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Yea, Its OK on room for kid(s) in the back, but like I said I want to cut my payments. I still owe about $17K on it.

Cutting your payments yet extending the time you have to pay by a year or two (if thats what your doing) doesn't make sense IMO.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Cutting your payments yet extending the time you have to pay by a year or two (if thats what your doing) doesn't make sense IMO.
That's what I was thinking, too. Also, I'd think a 6MT would probably be harder for them to sell as opposed to AT, so you might get less for your MT.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Race Director

Here's another thought, just trade in or sell the TSX and get a 6th gen Accord sedan Ex-V6 1998-2002 because they were actually quite roomy. I had a 99 Accord and the rear had a lot of more legroom than of course the TSX. They're not that expensive. Or possibly get a Maxima the 2000-2003 version, they're roomy too.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joeoldfart
Good suggestions. I'm definitely going to put it back to stock before I bring it in to be appraised. I guess I'll go that route first and if they dont give me at least $21K Then I'll just pass...
Plus you could make some money on selling your mods in BM or even on e-bay.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
joeoldfart

LoL...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
Yea, I agree it dosent make long term sense, but in the interim I'll be paying less per month, which is the goal. If it goes beyond the amount of months I'm paying now, then so be it.

Do you have a better idea?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jlufucktard
Plus you could make some money on selling your mods in BM or even on e-bay.
Yea, but its probably not much. Maybe $1.5K-2K
Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joeimsofrigginbanned
Yea, but its probably not much. Maybe $1.5K-2K
every little bit helps. That could supplement your monthly payment for a number of months.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Yea, I agree it dosent make long term sense, but in the interim I'll be paying less per month, which is the goal. If it goes beyond the amount of months I'm paying now, then so be it.

Do you have a better idea?

Keep the TSX. You owe 17k now. Your better off sacrificing for awhile rather than owing 18k+ with interest on a used RL. Lets imagine your monthly payment is $400. Won't it be great to owe nothing in say 3 years, rather than continuing with a $300 monthly payment for an extra 2 years?

Kids don't cost that much. If your lucky family and friends will be buying you alot of the stuff you need. You'll be stuck buying diapers and maybe formula for a couple years. Its really not a huge expense at first. It gets more expensive as they get older and get into sports/programs etc.

Just don't plan on modding your car as much or at all.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Don't expect to get $22k for your car, joe. My 04 5AT non navi with around 30k miles was traded in for $19.5k over a year ago. And the 6MT may actually be a detriment to you as most people still look for automatics. I would say you would be lucky to get $20.5k for your car now as a trade-in. I think you're better off just keeping the TSX.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An LS400 might be an option, but I can believe how much those things are going for! And the 430's, forget about it...
The RL barely has more interior room than the TL, despite the greater length.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
Keep the TSX. You owe 17k now. Your better off sacrificing for awhile rather than owing 18k+ with interest on a used RL. Lets imagine your monthly payment is $400. Won't it be great to owe nothing in say 3 years, rather than continuing with a $300 monthly payment for an extra 2 years?

Kids don't cost that much. If your lucky family and friends will be buying you alot of the stuff you need. You'll be stuck buying diapers and maybe formula for a couple years. Its really not a huge expense at first. It gets more expensive as they get older and get into sports/programs etc.

Just don't plan on modding your car as much or at all.
Dom, I realize kids arent that expensive at first. That's not the issue. The issue is that my wife (like I stated in the first post) will more then likely stay at home, which means that income is gone, see ya, no more for at least 5 years. I have to cost cut on a few things and a car payment is at the top of the list. I have equity in my home, but I really dont want to tap into that with the market the way it is now.

As far as modding goes, I havent modded anything in a while now. In fact, its one of the reasons to get rid of the TSX so I'm not tempted An RL would fit that bill perfect.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Dom, I realize kids arent that expensive at first. That's not the issue. The issue is that my wife (like I stated in the first post) will more then likely stay at home, which means that income is gone, see ya, no more for at least 5 years. I have to cost cut on a few things and a car payment is at the top of the list. I have equity in my home, but I really dont want to tap into that with the market the way it is now.

As far as modding goes, I havent modded anything in a while now. In fact, its one of the reasons to get rid of the TSX so I'm not tempted An RL would fit that bill perfect.

Thats why I said you should sacrifice for now rather than adding 2 years of payments at a lesser amount. Your wife isn't pregnant yet correct? How bout bumping up the car payments a few hundred a month until she has the baby. There's alot you can do to make that possible. Spending more money (which is essentially what your doing) isn't a smart idea IMO. Your taking from your left and giving to your right. I know smaller monthly amounts seems like a good idea but it doesn't make much financial sense. Unless of course you'll be bringing in more money via investments on that saved monthly amount. Anyway I'm sure you know all of this I'm just giving you my opinion.

Or you can move to Canada where women get paid 55% of their income (upto $800 bi-weekly) to stay home and watch the baby for a year. Like my wife is doing now.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
Thats why I said you should sacrifice for now rather than adding 2 years of payments at a lesser amount. Your wife isn't pregnant yet correct? How bout bumping up the car payments a few hundred a month until she has the baby. There's alot you can do to make that possible. Spending more money (which is essentially what your doing) isn't a smart idea IMO. Your taking from your left and giving to your right. I know smaller monthly amounts seems like a good idea but it doesn't make much financial sense. Unless of course you'll be bringing in more money via investments on that saved monthly amount. Anyway I'm sure you know all of this I'm just giving you my opinion.

Or you can move to Canada where women get paid 55% of their income (upto $800 bi-weekly) to stay home and watch the baby for a year. Like my wife is doing now.
All good points and I respect your opinion

No, not preggers yet, but we would like to "get er' done" this year. Maybe we just need to wait a year or two. Thats always an option I guess.

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you all to talk sense. Group hug :gheyhug: lol...
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

So I guess no move to ?

BTW - Just had my second boy last Wednesday. Kids are the greatest thing in the world. Good luck to you and the misses.

:ibIneeda3rowSUVorminivan:
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
So I guess no move to ?

BTW - Just had my second boy last Wednesday. Kids are the greatest thing in the world. Good luck to you and the misses.

Oh cool, Congrats!!

Yea, no move to the GWN. Just cant beat SoCal weather. That is awesome though what they do for new mothers. The US sucks when it comes to things like that.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

at your new avatar joe. I didn't notice you changed it at first.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jlukja
at your new avatar joe. I didn't notice you changed it at first.
Yea, weird huh? All the Chinese restaurants in town have the same signs
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
That's what I was thinking, too. Also, I'd think a 6MT would probably be harder for them to sell as opposed to AT, so you might get less for your MT.
absolutely right, not many want a 4 dr sedan with all the goodies in a MT.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:26 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TOUCHOFDETAIL
absolutely right, not many want a 4 dr sedan with all the goodies in a MT.
Except that they are comparatively rare. A person who is specifically looking for an MT won't usually settle for an AT.

However, I note also that MT drivers are also comparatively rare, especially in major urban areas...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:05 PM
5th Gear

I've been playing this scenario in my head for a while now myself: wife staying at home with 5yr old and 1yr old, dropping down to one car.

I have an 04 TSX 6-spd and an 06 Mazda5. I really don't think I could get rid off the TSX but the Mazda5 is just such a good family car (convenient).

The TSX has Curtain Airbags and VSC; I wouldn't take a car that doesn't at least have the Curtain Airbags, with that said, would you consider the Mazda5 or an '07 Accord?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by vicman
I've been playing this scenario in my head for a while now myself: wife staying at home with 5yr old and 1yr old, dropping down to one car.

I have an 04 TSX 6-spd and an 06 Mazda5. I really don't think I could get rid off the TSX but the Mazda5 is just such a good family car (convenient).

The TSX has Curtain Airbags and VSC; I wouldn't take a car that doesn't at least have the Curtain Airbags, with that said, would you consider the Mazda5 or an '07 Accord?
Yea, I guess one car is an option as well. But who gets the one car? Since I live fairly close to work (about a 10 min drive), I guess she could drop me off and pick me up, but I do travel often for my job, so I just dont think it would work out. I would hate to have to leave her without a car if she needed one.

Hell, if it came to that, I would just buy a beater and be done with it. The wife currently has an 06 Accord...
Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Tried trading it in for a 05 s2000. Dealer gave me 17,500 tops which is lower than i expected for a 04 6MT non-navi with 45k miles. They actually said they could offer more if it was 5AT... They didn't budge on the S2000 so I just bought one private party. When the car arrives I'm selling my TSX.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

[QUOTE=dom]Thats why I said you should sacrifice for now rather than adding 2 years of payments at a lesser amount. Your wife isn't pregnant yet correct? How bout bumping up the car payments a few hundred a month until she has the baby. There's alot you can do to make that possible. Spending more money (which is essentially what your doing) isn't a smart idea IMO. Your taking from your left and giving to your right. I know smaller monthly amounts seems like a good idea but it doesn't make much financial sense. Unless of course you'll be bringing in more money via investments on that saved monthly amount. Anyway I'm sure you know all of this I'm just giving you my opinion.

Dom is making a whole lot of sense here. Why not take the money you were spending to mod the car and put that on top of your payment in order to pay it down quicker? I just paid my '04 off last month. Now I have $600 EVERY TWO WEEKS in my pocket that I was using to pay on the TSX. I paid over $15,000 during the past year in order to pay it off. It can be done it just takes discipline.

Good luck with everything!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
So I guess no move to ?

Congrats! Welcome to the two kid club .
Old 03-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Rebourne

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Tried trading it in for a 05 s2000. Dealer gave me 17,500 tops which is lower than i expected for a 04 6MT non-navi with 45k miles. They actually said they could offer more if it was 5AT... They didn't budge on the S2000 so I just bought one private party. When the car arrives I'm selling my TSX.

Damn, that's pretty low. What dealer was this? And who much you pay for the S2K?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
yikes i have 04 6MT non-navi with 65k miles which means i'll probably be looking at 15,000 or so huh?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:54 AM
OEM plus!

I think you are going to get dissapointed in the end with this whole scenario. Lets say you find an RL for $17,000 (split the middle on your range), and lets say that you get $19,000 for your TSX, just to have a number out there. Like someone mentioned you are getting into a new 5 year loan which is rough, and you're going to do this all for roughly $2,000 in savings. That is a difference of something like $40 a month. That $40 difference will get eaten up pretty quick just by increased gas cost on the RL. Not to mention that the RL will have 30,000 more miles on the clock. So it will be pretty much a wash. Not worth it unless you really like the RL enough to do the trade.

If you really want to cut the payments down, try getting a car that is substantially lower in price than the TSX like closer to 10-12,000. Would you consider going American? There are lots of cars like the Taurus, Impala, Malibu that depreciate like a mother, that would be pretty cheap to own. If you're going to be in a pinch, that might work out for you.

All else fails, a few weeks after the kid is born, put 'em to work! LOL

Quick Reply: Trade in your TSX?