TPMS on TSX, hassle during tire install beware - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS on TSX, hassle during tire install beware - advice needed

I finally decided to ditch the OEM tires which went bald in 2yrs, and get the Bridgestones.

Unfortunately, when they deflate the old tires, you remove the valve stem core and let the air out to unseat the bead. But....

One of the cores could not be removed!!
The core just kept spinning in place, not wanting to come out, according to the techs. The other three came out fine.

I gave it a try also, and yes, the core just spins in place, and cannot be removed.

So the tech just pushed the TPMS sensor in, and deflated the tire that way.

The TPMS looks like this. There is white corrosion, which should not be there in the first place, and the core just spins in place, making it impossible to remove the core.

The tech wanted to play safe, and install a standard stem, and advised to go to Acura and have the TPMS replaced under warranty, which makes sense.

But I have a feeling they will throw a fit, and blame it on me somehow to make me pay for it, or tell me that I (or tire shop) shouldn't have removed it.

If the core can't be removed, then it is defective right? Even though the TPMS itself works, and the valve still holds air.

Any tips? Pic attached. Notice the white corrosion around the seal area, which is not supposed to be there...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Daffunda; 01-24-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:40 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um...

TPMS sensors do not screw in.
they pop in and out.
those threads are to hold a cap that secures it down.
unscrew the cap, push the stem, the sensor pops out.

so what is your problem?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor

The TPMS pops in and out, but...

The CORE screws in. The valve stem CORE is the little button you see inside the valve hole when you remove the valve stem cap to put air in.

The CORE can be screwed off with the core removal tool. It didn't.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM
JDM Addict

oh.
didn't know there was a need to take it apart to remove it.
so when they take the tires off, they need to take the core out of the stem?
that's how they deflate the tire?

not sure what your dealer will say at all.
there's kind of a case on both sides.
it worked/works fine, never leaked and never had issues until you
decided to remove it/take it apart.
but it's corroded and difficult to turn, and reusing it is not in your best interest?
if it works fine, they could argue that you should have just re-installed it.
but if you show it to them, and emphasize the corrosion they may replace it,
or they may "good will" it for you.
no way to tell but to go to the dealership and ask them really.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Instructor

well thanks, I'm just real paranoid about the dealer trying to pull a fast one. They'll find anything to justify not covering it under warranty.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by Daffunda
well thanks, I'm just real paranoid about the dealer trying to pull a fast one. They'll find anything to justify not covering it under warranty.
it's not that expensive anyway.
you can buy 4 brand new ones on ebay for $100 shipped.
so if they hassle you, just buy your own and have it put in.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Just so people know, (not that anyone cares) the dealer decided to cover it under warranty after testing the part, and questioning me thoroughly making sure that I wasn't trying to rip them off.

My right front has a regular stem now, and first, my right front read 0PSI on the Dash. So I thought, "TPMS, you're smart."

Now 10 miles later, the LEFT REAR shows 0 PSI with the SERVICE TPMS warning coming on, and RIGHT FRONT (with no TPMS) shows 33PSI.

Ha stupid dumbazz TPMS. I guess you're not smart enough after all to tell which sensor is on which wheel.

Thanks for wasting my time with trips to the dealer and convincing the dealer that you're broke, stupid TPMS.

It's for people who only thinks that all you need to do is put gas in the car to own a car.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
That's really odd. I thought the TPMS was supposed to know which sensor was on which tire. Do you have the old sensor in the car somewhere? That might be confusing the system. That's the only thing I can think of.

And, to clear up confusion for those who didn't figure it out, the "core" the OP is speaking of is the shrader valve. Its common practice to remove the shrader valve when changing tires. On most vehicles you're going to replace the whole valve stem anyway, and removing the valve makes it easier for the tire guy to dismount the tire. On TPMS equipped vehichles, they probably only replace the shrader valve (not sure, hasn't come up for me yet) as opposed to the entire valve stem. The seal is part of the shrader valve, so its really the only part that needs to be replaced anyway.

To the OP, I'm glad the dealer replaced it under warranty. There really was no reason for them not to. I can understand them not installing it for it, but the part itself should have been covered. There's no reason for them to fail at only 2 years. And it could be a major safety issue if that shrader valve failed at highway speeds.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
you can your luck with the dealership if you want. or you can just buy one on ebay. they might say it is wear and tear bs.