Toyota Dealership at its best...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003 | 10:39 PM
Advanced

Toyota Dealership at its best...

Sorry if this is off topic, but I am hoping someone out there has a recipe for revenge.

Recently, my father had won a 3 year lease of a 2004 Toyota Camry. So, I went with him and the rest of the family to the dealership to get more info about our winnings. The guy we spoke to basically treated us like sh!t - because he knew that we weren't there to buy a car. We basically felt like leftovers; there was none of the friendly "hello"'s or handshakes. Basically, most questions we asked about the contest were given "I don't know" responses. The rep even had the nerve to sit with his elbow on the desk and his hand propping his head up - as if he didn't even have the energy to keep his head up toward us. I was FURIOUS!

I finally asked him "what DO you know?" His response, "I know what I need to know". Clearly, this rep is talking back to me. I am getting VERY angry at this point and began questioning him "What is your problem?" "What's with the attitude?" "Am I not a customer?" He responded with "What's YOUR problem?"

I asked to talk to his superior, to which he replied, "He's busy". I said, "What's your name, I am going to launch a complaint". He refused to give his name, but to his surprise, I grabbed his business card from his desk! I then told him, "All it takes is one phonecall" and his response, "You do what you need to do" in a very defiant manner.

I am PISSED. I need some suggestions at how I can get back at this rude rep. I understand I am not there to buy a car, but this utter disregard for human decency is intolerable. I will definitely be launching a formal complaint to Toyota, but from what I heard, the car corporations generally don't have much influence on individual dealership issues. Any suggestions? I have been upset about this all day and am in need of some retribution!
Old 11-08-2003 | 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

slash his tires?
Old 11-08-2003 | 10:54 PM
Advanced

That would be nice, but not gratifying enough. I'm thinking of something I can do that'll screw him over without me having to do illegal stuff. I'm not the type to do stupid things. I think I'm too old for that now.
Old 11-08-2003 | 11:10 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Have you posted your story (with the dealership's and rep's names) on Camry and/or Toyota boards?
Old 11-08-2003 | 11:13 PM
Inspired

Post it on Toyota boards, that will do more damage than just about anything else (legally that is). Not only that, but you will be warning other Toyota customers to avoid idiots like this. Bad publicity is useful in cases like this. Use it to your advantage.
Old 11-08-2003 | 11:16 PM
Advanced

I assume your dad won the lease in a contest? If that's the case speak to the organizers of the contest and ask them to speak to the owner of the dealership that donated the prize. If the lease was donated as a prize it was done so to publicize the dealership and I'm sure this is not the kind of publicity the owner would want for his efforts.
Old 11-09-2003 | 09:04 AM
Oklahoma Sooners

Beat him with a phonebook!
Old 11-09-2003 | 02:51 PM
Pro

Originally posted by rb4580
Beat him with a phonebook!

Post his name and number on a few Toyota Forums (don't know any). If people think this deserves a beating with a phone book, they'll do it (not literally).

I can't believe he responded with "What's your problem." That's un-professional business man like conduct. NEVER argue with the customer. Try to resolve the problem and if necessary, call a third party (supervisor) to help solve the problem. And then not giving his name... wow. Good bye Mr. Asshole
Old 11-09-2003 | 05:14 PM
Advanced

Hey all, thanks for all your suggestions. I really want him to make an apology to me and my family. I have thought about it and have decided in an action plan:

-argue my case with Toyota Corporate head quarters, and force them to make this guy issue an apology the next time we see him. I am going to try real hard to reason that if they don't force him to apologize, I'll post to all the toyota forums, all the better business bureaus, every and any avenue I can to get word out on this problem. This should result in at least one or two sales lost. If they're smart enough, they'll know that an apology is much easier than bad publicity and some lost sales.

I really want to see that guy apologize to my face.
Old 11-09-2003 | 05:16 PM
Pro

Originally posted by the_peel
Even if he doesn't mean it? Or you just want sweet victory? If he treated you like this, I wonder how he treats other customers.
Old 11-09-2003 | 05:19 PM
Advanced

I actually don't want him to mean it. I just want to make him do it. It'll be pretty sweet knowing that he's not enjoying that moment.
Old 11-09-2003 | 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

which dealer and sale's name? if you mention DVLT (u should know which one when u live in markham), I would not surprise cause many people tell me the sales and services are suck.
Old 11-10-2003 | 08:57 AM
Pro

Spread the word to all of your friends and everyone you know about how horrible the place is, so everyone in your area won't go to that dealer. If you really want to go all out.... post a ad in your local newspaper about them (but that will cost you some, but as fired up as you sound, that may be worth it).
Old 11-10-2003 | 02:09 PM
Pro

Is this really going to make you feel better? All the guy has to do is say sorry and all is forgiven? I doubt it. If this guy did what you said, I would go after his job and try to get all of the free-be's in the world at that particular dealership, especially if they were the ones who sponsored the contest.

Apologies are worthless, no one means them and they don't make up for the disrespect he showed you. Losing his job and not being able to pay his bills next month might make him think twice about his attitude in the future.
Old 11-10-2003 | 02:35 PM
Advanced

Hey Buff Daddy,

I know where you're coming from, and I know that he won't really mean it. But what are the chances of him getting fired? Honestly, behind closed doors, all the employees of the the dealership will be on his side, regardless of whatever he or his superiors (general manager, or even the owner of the dealership) say because he can always make up HIS side of the story.

Anyways, I'm not one to really seek THAT amount of retribution (I would not want his dependents suffering because of his own stupidity), I'm just not that kind of guy. I just really want to see the look on his face when he says sorry to me. The more I think about it, the more I want him to NOT mean it, because I know then that he is being forced into saying it.

I know, its not an extremely clever plan of revenge, but I'm not a very vengeful person, so I don't really know what else there is to do - other than previous suggestions of posting my experiences on toyota forums, which I definitely will be doing.
Old 11-10-2003 | 02:38 PM
Advanced

BTW, to all who are interested:

The guy's name is Matt Venge. He is from Dave Nicholl's Toyota at Keele and Lawrence, in Toronto, Canada. www.davenichollstoyota.ca
Old 11-10-2003 | 02:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

BTW, what type of contest was this that your dad entered? I'm interested to know how he won and has he received the car yet?Did you continue dealing with him after all that happened?

My advice, complain, complain, complain
Old 11-10-2003 | 03:03 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by domn
BTW, what type of contest was this that your dad entered? I'm interested to know how he won and has he received the car yet?Did you continue dealing with him after all that happened?

My advice, complain, complain, complain
Hey Domn,

It was a contest from the International Home Show. The contest runner is Georgian Manor Resorts. He entered it when he went to the show. We have not received the car yet, because after that fiasco, my dad decided to wait a bit. I personally did not continue dealing with him afterwards, but my father stayed in his office to ask more questions.

Funny thing was that, after I walked out of his office, he explained to my dad that Georgian Manor did not give him much info on the contest and the person originally toyota sales rep working on this contest had recently left the dealership, leaving him in charge. If he had explained this to me right from the beginning, things could have been very different. (it still does not excuse his attitude problem though)
Old 11-10-2003 | 03:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Not at all, he should be reprimanded to some degree for sure.
Have you gone to the top in the dealership?

Funny, because I was filling out that same contest forum at the show and a friend told me to stop because they use the ballots to put you on a junk mail list, so I did'nt enter. A Camry would have been nice.
Old 11-10-2003 | 03:25 PM
10th Gear

how about all of us complain in emails to the dealership about this sales guy. If we all act as potential customers that have been scared away by negative publicity, I think they will start thinking about it. I would do it and I know that if it were my dealership and I had a bunch of email complaints, I would act quickly for the dealership will only continue to stand if it satisfies its customers.
Old 11-10-2003 | 03:38 PM
Advanced

Not at all, he should be reprimanded to some degree for sure.
Have you gone to the top in the dealership?

Funny, because I was filling out that same contest forum at the show and a friend told me to stop because they use the ballots to put you on a junk mail list, so I did'nt enter. A Camry would have been nice.
Yep, if I were at the show, I would have told my dad the same thing. You got a TSX, why do you want a Camry? Second car?
Old 11-10-2003 | 03:41 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by kadenx
how about all of us complain in emails to the dealership about this sales guy. If we all act as potential customers that have been scared away by negative publicity, I think they will start thinking about it. I would do it and I know that if it were my dealership and I had a bunch of email complaints, I would act quickly for the dealership will only continue to stand if it satisfies its customers.
Hehe, that would be cool. I take it you work at a dealership then? It sucks that the corporate headquarters is totally separate from the individual dealerships. I would have thought that Toyota Corp would care about the negative image these dealership employees are giving to its name. My wife WAS thinking of changing up from the Accord to the new Sienna, but after this... I think there's no chance of me owning a Toyota in the near future.
Old 11-10-2003 | 03:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its always nice to get a car for free, no matter what it is. Besides a Camry would be a great second car or car period.

I still don't think one idiot salesman should turn you away from Toyota completely peel. Theres a bad apple in every bunch. Just try anither dealershp and chances are you will be treated completely different. The new Sienna is nice, but try waiting for the new Odessey, the two are'nt really an apples to apples comparo right now.
Old 11-10-2003 | 11:13 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Too bad you weren't *buying* a car from Toyota...then, you could find a dealership that *does* care, then fax an Photoshoped bill of sale to the original dealership, saying you paid $5000 above MSRP.

Does anyone else not like this "No Haggle" policy that Saturn has (and Toyota just introduced)? Is that not what is referred to as "Price Fixing"?
Old 11-11-2003 | 12:42 AM
Instructor

Don't even waste your time.
Most complaints with companies, businesses, government agencies, etc. are rarely dealt with in the manner you want.
Basically, they don't care.
All he will get is a slap on the wrist.
Old 11-11-2003 | 01:00 AM
More On

Re: Toyota Dealership at its best...

.....this utter disregard for human decency is intolerable. I will definitely be launching a formal complaint to Toyota.....
You bet your bippy. As a lot of our friends on here know, I'm pretty big on human decency too.

I suspect the guy was mostly just having a bad day, but still, I think you should complain big-time. Complain to Toyota, and complain to the manager and/or owner of the dealership -- all in writing -- hard copies via regular mail, not just fax or e-mail IMO, and keep copies for yourself. And if you feel like it, send copies to the salesman. Don't think too much about "retribution," just about saying your piece and having some effect, which I think you will. As you probably know, in instances like this it's actually best to keep your emotions out of the letters, except maybe just to mention (very briefly) that you and the whole family are very upset about the experience and pretty much alienated from Toyota as a result. Mostly just say the facts, as concisely and briefly as possible. A lot of people don't realize it, but that's the most powerful way to do something like this. Mostly just facts, and as brief and concise as possible, and trying very hard to avoid emotional phrasing.

BTW it's priceless that the guy's name is "Venge." You can't make up stuff like that. Well, actually you can -- Dickens did it all the time.
Old 11-11-2003 | 04:16 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Toyota Dealership at its best...

Originally posted by larchmont
You bet your bippy. As a lot of our friends on here know, I'm pretty big on human decency too.

I suspect the guy was mostly just having a bad day, but still, I think you should complain big-time. Complain to Toyota, and complain to the manager and/or owner of the dealership -- all in writing -- hard copies via regular mail, not just fax or e-mail IMO, and keep copies for yourself. And if you feel like it, send copies to the salesman. Don't think too much about "retribution," just about saying your piece and having some effect, which I think you will. As you probably know, in instances like this it's actually best to keep your emotions out of the letters, except maybe just to mention (very briefly) that you and the whole family are very upset about the experience and pretty much alienated from Toyota as a result. Mostly just say the facts, as concisely and briefly as possible. A lot of people don't realize it, but that's the most powerful way to do something like this. Mostly just facts, and as brief and concise as possible, and trying very hard to avoid emotional phrasing.

BTW it's priceless that the guy's name is "Venge." You can't make up stuff like that. Well, actually you can -- Dickens did it all the time.
Well, I tried complaining over the phone to the GM and then to the owner of the dealership (actually the GM is part owner). I was very polite about it too. But from listening to the responses I was getting, it really didn't sound like they care too much. When speaking with the GM, he basically stated that he was sorry on behalf of the dealership but would not agree to getting the perpetrator to do it himself. Even worse, when talking to the owner, he said that he doesn't deal with this himself and redirected me to the GM. So I'm basically reduced to sending notices to other Toyota forums about this incident.

When I was discussing this with the GM, I was being extremely factual. I even had a transcript that I typed up of what was said. <sigh> I don't know what else to do... justice was not served today.
Old 11-11-2003 | 04:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Have you called Toyota Canada? If you hav'nt do so and make it perfectly clear that you are extremly unhappy. Also make it clear that you want something done about it and don't stop calling until this is clear.
Old 11-11-2003 | 04:30 PM
Advanced

Have you called Toyota Canada? If you hav'nt do so and make it perfectly clear that you are extremly unhappy. Also make it clear that you want something done about it and don't stop calling until this is clear.
Thanks, but I have! The guy I talked to explained that Toyota Canada does not deal with these kind of issues; these issues are dealt within the individual dealerships. I tried saying that, "well, these guys represent Toyota! How can you sit back on these problems?" The guy basically said that they couldn't do anything about it because hiring and firing of sales reps are taken care of within the dealerships. I asked to speak to HIS manager and he took down all my information and said that his manager would contact me within 3-5 days, but warned that I'll probably get the same response from him too.
Old 11-11-2003 | 07:04 PM
Banned

[Disclaimer, this angry letter is being written for enterainment purposes only. Note: some of these legal threats may not work on Canadians!]

Dear Dipshits,

My name is Joe Schmoe and I have an unfortunate event that I feel necessitates your attention. A member of my immediate family recently had the good fortune of winning a two-year lease that was paid for by Sweepstakes Company X. However, we had the distinct MISFORTUNE of making the acquaintance of Salesman Schmuckatelli at your dealership.

While trying to redeem the prize at your dealership, Salesman Schmuckatelli was rude, completely discourteous and eventually became verbally abusive. He refused to give me his name and I was only able to obtain it by picking up a business card off his desk against his will.

(DETAILS OF THE FIASCO GO HERE.)

As Salesman Schumckatelli refused to assist me in redeeming the lease and he refused to allow me to speak to a manager, I am afraid that I have been advised that I may not have any other recourse but to pursue legal action against Toyota Motor Company, with your dealership named as a co-defendant. I plan to sue for performance and I plan to subpoena Salesman Schmuckatelli, the manager on duty on the day in question, your General Manager as well as the sweepstakes administrator.

Your dealership or your representative have until 12:00pm on November 32nd to contact me with an equitable resolution to this matter. Please be aware that any statements made in this letter should not be construed as to waive of any of my legal rights. I would like to thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this issue.

Regards,
Larry Litigator
123 Lumberjack St.
Ontario, Canada 13431
(566) 555-9840
Old 11-11-2003 | 07:13 PM
Advanced

Hehe, Crazytree, that was pretty good! I think I may just send a copy of that to the dealership!
Old 11-11-2003 | 08:26 PM
Banned

I would leave out the threats of legal action unless you're willing to follow through on your threats... but the rest of the letter is most appropriate given the circumstances.
Old 11-11-2003 | 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

most dealers are like that ...xxx xx xxxx

i would just go up to his car and plug the exhust gas pipe with banana or something..........maybe cement (something hard so it doesnt come out and stay),,,,most easiest way to overheat the engine and junk the car out,,,\
Old 11-11-2003 | 11:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Be careful about publicly spreading any word, especially names of individuals. They could slap you with a libel/slander lawsuit.

The best advice is to talk with the organizers of the contest to escalate the issue to the dealer's management, and request that someone else help you.

Time to cool off and deal with the matter professionally and, most importantly, CALMLY and not emotionally.
Old 11-12-2003 | 12:41 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Brad
Be careful about publicly spreading any word, especially names of individuals. They could slap you with a libel/slander lawsuit.
The truth is an ABSOLUTE DEFENSE against any action for libel or slander.
Old 11-12-2003 | 02:31 AM
Old fart

When all else fails, nail them where salesmen hurts…their pockets.

Just an idea for revenge (I am not responsible for any actions/repercussions if you take this route):

You'll need to have a friend to work with you on this, preferably a woman with no ring on her finger. An attractive one would probably work best.

Have your friend go to the dealership alone and look for the guy. Say he was recommended by a friend of hers or something. She is looking to purchase a car (one where you can rack up extra costs with options, paying for rust proofing, etc.). She gets pricing and starts to play dumb and not negotiate the price and starts adding on options upon options, within reason of course. Basically all she is doing is racking up all this money on the car and making it sound like she wants the car now and wants to walk out with it that same day. Some flirting won’t hurt either. Once a price is settled and the guy is glowing that he's going to get a great sale, she tells him to hold all the paperwork until she comes in with a friend or family member to co-sign or something. She has to be convincing that she wants/is going to buy the car the whole time. Also have her keep an eye out to make sure that he is in fact really interested in making this deal. If he doesn’t, might as well stop here.

Next time she goes in, she looks up the guy and starts talking about the car and how she's going to love it, etc. And mention her friend/family member is going to show up in a few minutes. Then you walk through the doors, she introduces you and you give this guy a funny look to see if he remembers you. If he does, you start ripping on the guy for ripping your friend off etc. The look on his face should more than make up the pain and suffering. You may do this discretely or make a show of it. Now if he doesn’t remember you, act the way he did when you were there with your family just to jog his memory a little bit. Then rip on him for ripping your friend off. Of course when you’re ripping on him, bring up examples of all the things he did to you and your family. If the GM comes out, say he’s in on it too and rip him a new one too.
-----------------
I don’t recall if you went with the lease or not, but I would not recommend picking up the free lease if you’re seeking something from them because they will probably nickel and dime you at the end of your lease for every little thing wrong with the car.
Old 11-12-2003 | 06:59 AM
More On

Originally posted by TSX 'R' US
.....(I am not responsible for any actions/repercussions if you take this route).....
My favorite part. Of course not.

But I am responsible for what I recommended!

I go along with Brad 100% also. That's a good idea about contacting the organizer of the contest -- I guess I just thought it was Toyota itself, maybe I missed something. I do think that despite your thinking that what you've already done rules out the effectiveness of writing to the parties that I suggested, it's still the best idea. Then again, it's just an opinion.

BTW even though Crazytree's right about the truth being a defense, that can be tricky.
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dude, life is too f'ing short for you to deal with this. Move along with your life. You dad won a car, you should focus on that. Are you such a small person that you have to exact some kind of revenge on this idiot? Do you really think that he will learn anything from this. NO! So why do you care about this guy so much?
Old 11-12-2003 | 09:05 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by DEVO
Dude, life is too f'ing short for you to deal with this. Move along with your life. You dad won a car, you should focus on that. Are you such a small person that you have to exact some kind of revenge on this idiot? Do you really think that he will learn anything from this. NO! So why do you care about this guy so much?
You know... I've been thinking about this since two days ago. You are correct: life IS too short to let these things bug us so bad. Although it has been troubling me since Saturday (it almost completely preoccupied my days and ruined a few hours worth of sleep) I feel that I've done pretty much all that I can. Any further attempts to continue would likely result in more frustration.

It just irks me that people are allowed to get away with this stuff... ofcourse we learn to understand that life does not have to be fair and that there are plenty worse things out there than "the rude car salesman". I guess the thing to keep in mind is that the longer I let it fester in me, the more that I have lost. Oh well, C'est la vie.
Old 11-12-2003 | 09:20 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by Crazytree
[Disclaimer, this angry letter is being written for enterainment purposes only. Note: some of these legal threats may not work on Canadians!]
I sense an interesting digression here. Why might some of the legal threats not work on Canadians?

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealership at its best...