Top 10 Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Top 10 Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles

Santa Monica, California - Edmunds.com, a U.S. online automotive information source, announced a list of the most fuel-efficient cars in the United States. They are:

Honda Insight
Toyota Prius
Honda Civic Hybrid
Volkswagen Golf TDI
Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Volkswagen New Beetle TDI
Honda Civic HX (not available in Canada)
Toyota Echo
Toyota Corolla
Scion xA (not available in Canada)
Scion xB (not available in Canada)
Dodge Neon
Pontiac Vibe
Toyota Celica GT
Toyota Matrix

"It is impressive that the most fuel-efficient vehicles enjoy nearly double the per-gallon mileage of the vehicles lower on the list," remarks Karl Brauer, Editor In Chief of Edmunds.com. "During city driving the Insight and Prius are rated at 60 miles to the gallon (3.9 litres/100 km) while the vehicles tied for 10th place get 29 (8.1 litres/100 km)"
Edmunds.com also determined that the average fuel economy for 2004 model year vehicles is 19 miles per gallon (12.4 litres/100 km) in city driving and 26 mpg (9.0 litres/100 km) on highways.

Additionally, Edmunds.com found the average fuel expense is U.S.$1,310 per vehicle, assuming 15,000 miles are driven per year. On average, cars run up $1,178 in fuel expenses per year while trucks, SUVs and minivans average $1,606 annual fuel costs. The most fuel-efficient segment is coupes priced under $15,000, with an average fuel cost of $843 per year while the least fuel-efficient segment is SUVs priced over $45,000, with an average fuel cost of $1,956 per year. The most popular segments are the sedans priced between $15 - $25,000, with an average annual fuel cost of $1,013, and the large trucks, with an average annual fuel cost of $1,874.

Edmunds.com expects the market to change drastically in the next couple of years as more manufacturers introduce hybrid vehicles, including SUV and truck models. Awaited as 2005 models are hybrid versions of the Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, Ford Escape, GMC Sierra, Honda Accord, Lexus RX 400h and Toyota Highlander. Additional hybrid vehicles are in development for the 2006 and 2007 model years. Other fuel-saving technologies are also becoming more common, such as the cylinder deactivation systems recently introduced by GM and Chrysler.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Real world mileage

Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autoscon...g01-143065.htm
In our test, a combination of city and highway driving in Michigan, the Prius and the Civic Hybrid ended up with virtually identical mileage.

The EPA estimate on the window sticker of the Prius told us to expect 60 miles per gallon in city driving and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. We actually averaged 44.1 miles per gallon over more than 100 miles of mixed driving.

In comparison, EPA estimates on the window sticker of the Civic Hybrid told us to expect 48 miles per gallon in city driving and 47 miles per gallon on the highway. We actually averaged 44.6 miles per gallon over more than 100 miles.

Both Toyota and Honda say the variations in fuel economy numbers from the EPA and the experience of real-world drivers is due to variations in driving style and road conditions.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The regular Civic should be in there somewhere. If you were to compare highway milage the ratio between 1st and 10th would be much less than 2. In real life test the Prius is the same as a TDI equiped VW on the highway.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Lets hear what some Hybrid owners have to say. The only owner I know is Devo. He actually gave some of the mileage numbers he's getting with his Civic Hybrid but I can't remember the thread.

BTW phile, I think that second link refers to the first generation Toyota Prius.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Spooooooon !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesnt that list say something about the American auto industry. We need to step it up.

Also, I don't think I would drive any of those cars - thats something else auto companies need to address.

Is it so hard to make a car that will fit a larger person or two that is fuel efficient? And god forbid if it looks attractive in the process.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by domn
BTW phile, I think that second link refers to the first generation Toyota Prius.
Nope, 2004 Prius

BTW - can you edit it to make the link work?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Link works now.

I had seen those MPG figures before and they were reffring to the old Prius, since the link did'nt work I thought it was the same comparison. Interesting that the Civic is better on gas. I'd take the Civic anyday of the week now, It does'nt scream "look I'm a greenie" like the Prius does.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

They'll start selling this thing in Canada this fall. Gets 3.3L per 100km which equals about 55.5 US MPG. Supposed to sell for about $16K CAD. Make a great car to go to and back from work, but thats about it. Oh, and top speed is 120km/hr (75 MPH).
Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this car was all over paris when i was there...at first i was like wtf is this? but i guess if gas is twice as exp there i would consider this as well
Old 05-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to buy it for my wife to replace the Tercel once it has to go. Right now though, we're trying to make the Tercel survive for as long as the installments on the TSX aren't complete.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:06 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Sauce I'm not sure about it. Ya its great on fuel and cute, but I'd give it a 2 out of 10 on practicality. It seats two, you can't haul anything around with you and god forbid your in a rush. I mean if its solely used to go to and back from work then yes, but I still think there are better values out there for your dollar.

The Echo Hatchback (Scion Xb in the US) is cheaper than the Smart, more pratical and great on fuel, although not as good as the Smart. Same can be said of the Upcoming Honda Fit which is at least a four door.

My wife wants a Equinox and so do I, but with gas prices where there at, I don't think that would be a smart move.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:14 AM
The Voice of Reason

US registrations of Hybrids were 43,435 last year: 21,750 Civic Hybrids, 20,387 Prius (Priuses?) and 1,298 Honda Insights.

For comparison, Ford sold over 900,000 F-Series pickups alone.

Also the only way the fuel-efficient and ultra-cute Smart Car will ever pass DOT crash testing requirements in it's current configuration is if it's lashed to the bed of a Ford F-Series pickup truck.

It works pretty well if your city streets were designed by the Romans, but driving across Wyoming on an Interstate in one is probably something else.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by bob shiftright
Also the only way the fuel-efficient and ultra-cute Smart Car will ever pass DOT crash testing requirements in it's current configuration is if it's lashed to the bed of a Ford F-Series pickup truck.
Its already passed Canadian crash standards which I believe are more stringnient than US standards. Although I could be very wrong on that.

Either way it will be sold in Canada this fall and the only thing delaying its US release from what I understand is lack of another larger model to come with it, but it is coming to the US.

Their bringing it to Canada first because they see big sales in our small car loving, cheap car buying market.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Bob from Autoweek, albeit an old article it at least adresses the crash concerns.

Smart car may be headed to U.S.

DaimlerChrysler officials will decide by year-end whether U.S. drivers are interested in buying the company's tiny Smart car. The world's smallest mass-produced car is sold in Europe and Japan, but the eight-foot two-seater could find its way to U.S. showrooms by 2003, said Simone Maier, Smart spokeswoman. The car is priced at about $9,125 and gets 57 mpg on the highway.

Maier said concerns about meeting U.S. crash standards have already been addressed, otherwise the company wouldn't be busy gauging consumer interest in the car among potential buyers on the east and west coast.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Nope your rigght, here's a newer article.

U.S. to get next-generation two-seat Smart car, DCX says

By DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News

NEW YORK -- DaimlerChrysler's Smart franchise in the United States will not only sell a small SUV but the next generation of Europe's tiny Smart two-seater, too.

The Brazilian-built SUV will debut in 2006, followed by the replacement for the 8-foot-long City Coupe and Cabrio in 2008, says Paul Halata, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA LLC.

With a full range of vehicles, Smart sales should jump from about 25,000 a year with the SUV to about 60,000 units, Halata says.

The Smart City Coupe went on sale in Europe five years ago. The car could not be exported to the United States because it did not meet federal safety standards. At 98 inches long, it is 45 inches shorter than BMW's Mini Cooper.

The SUV will be based on Smart's ForFour, a 148-inch-long four-seat, four-door model that debuts in Europe next year.

The ForFour will share a platform with a Mitsubishi model sold in Europe. It will be priced at about 11,000 euros, or $13,510 at current exchange rates.

The SUV is being developed for the U.S. market but will be sold worldwide.

A Mercedes-Benz engine will power the vehicle, Halata says, though he declined to say which one.

The SUV will be shown to U.S. dealers in the spring. It will be built at Mercedes' A-class plant in Juiz de Fora, Brazil.

Only Mercedes-Benz dealers will be offered the U.S. Smart franchise initially, but the brand will be kept separate from Mercedes. Smart franchise holders will have to construct separate showrooms.

The U.S. dealerships will have a unique design, different from Europe's Smart Towers, in which cars are stacked in transparent, high-rise glass structures.

Mercedes-Benz will begin signing up Smart dealers in the spring.

Initially, Halata expects Smart to have about 50 U.S. dealerships. That number should grow to about 70 as the range grows from one to three vehicles, he says.

Mercedes has 322 dealers in the United States.

Halata says Smart vehicles will be targeted at the young and hip.

"The world has changed so radically, and the generation coming wants something different and young," he says. "They want cars different from what we baby boomers do."

Last week, Mercedes-Benz appointed Scott Keogh, 34, to the new position of general manager of Smart USA, effective Jan. 1.

Keogh is general manager of corporate communications at Mercedes-Benz USA. He'll be replaced by Geoff Day, communications director for DaimlerChrysler in the United Kingdom.

Keogh says major markets for Smart likely will be large urban areas, but the brand will be introduced nationwide.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro

if sales of SUV and trucks keep at this pace, i do not expect price of gas to drop any time soon. i don't think many would walk 10 minutes to get grocery and another 10 minutes to get hom? i was suprised how far i can travel by foot in 5 minutes, people exercise like crazy in gym but not willing to spend 5 minutes on sidewalk !! and it's probaly not time efficient but is good on gas

btw, i think smart or hybird is good for these applications such as picking up kids, grocery, post, small stuff near home. I often see a smart (or smart like MB) park near Dundas & University in Toroto, not that attractive but still get the job done..
Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes domn, it is mostly for local travels, groceries, and other small movements. I am too very fond of the Echo Hatchback, but I wouldn't ever be able to convince my wife of driving in one. I bashed the sedans waaay too much before the hatch version came out so.. Plus, I don't have a lot of choice to go with, she'd want either the Mini (which is becoming more and more out of the question to me, given the many reliability issues) the Honda Element (nice but ot economical on gas), or the Smart.

To be honest, ever since I've been in those cars back in 99, I've been completely bought over to them, and the wife and I were absolutely delighted to see them arriving in Canada. Getting it in 800cc CDTI version was just another incentive. The only question mark to me is about the bad MB reliability in the recent years, is it reflected upon Smart models...
Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I've read reports from Motor Trend that make me go WTF are they talking about.

As an owner of the civic hybrid (CVT) I can tell that you get better gas mileage on non-highway roads because you use the electric engine more often. I don't understand where MT claims shows a better avg on the highway. Maybe this is true of the manual.

Anyway, I can assure you that my fiance gets atleast 600 miles per fill up (just under 13 gallon tank). She drives a mix of highway and side roads to work. I pushed the car to 654 miles without trying, meaning I wasn't driving to conserve. I ended up pumping 12.7 gallons... So I was about to run out of gas.

We get average mileage anywhere from 45 (the worst) to 61 mpg. (US gallons). Most of the time it's around 52 mpg. All this in a car that can seats 5 comfortably.

The other issue I have with MT is that they constantly complain about the CVT jerky transmission, and non linear braking. Both of which are completely false. The CVT is a joy to play with, very smooth and very predictable. The braking, I don't know what to say, it brakes great. I've driven enough cars to know what good brakes should feel like.

The other thing, the car can blow most cars off the line for the first 20 meters (assuming they are racing). It's pretty funny to see.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:35 AM
The Voice of Reason

Its already passed Canadian crash standards which I believe are more stringnient than US standards. Although I could be very wrong on that.

Either way it will be sold in Canada this fall and the only thing delaying its US release from what I understand is lack of another larger model to come with it, but it is coming to the US.

Their bringing it to Canada first because they see big sales in our small car loving, cheap car buying market.
Ummmmmm......

CLICK HERE

I'd be VERY interested in seeing DOT/NHTSA and IIHS Crash Test results ..... Nowithstanding the "surprising" Euro NCAP results, microcars do very badly WRT insurance claims in the USA. Back to "Physics 101"....

KE (Kinetic Energy) = (mass x velocity2)/2 or 1/2 mv2 (square)
Old 05-11-2004, 10:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Bob, did you see my post right after that one? I quoted an older article first.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 AM
The Voice of Reason

Bob, did you see my post right after that one? I quoted an older article first.
No. I'd like to think I have the entire internet at my fingertips but it still took a of couple minutes to find those Smart Car crash test results.

That said, it wasn't as bad as I woulda thought. (Unless it hits the tire of a Ford Excursion and not a barrier.)
Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Race Director

I don't know about that 75mph top speed. I see them in the fast lane a few times and they're doing like 85 mph. Maybe they're moded...
Old 05-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Yea, I'm not so sure the smart would do too well against an suv, but would be great for getting into parking spots in the city. The new golfv tdi should be interesting if vw can manage some decent quality.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Race Director

It's much bigger than a Smart but you're right it will have very good milage with the TDI engine.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

That is one nice looking Vdubya.

Any idea where that pic was taken? somewhere in Europe I'd guess, although it looks like the US.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Europe, not sure. Here's his webpage http://users.pandora.be/golfist/start.htm I wasn't sure about the new model when it was first shown, but it has definately grown on me.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:56 PM
bleh...

I wish they bring from Europe the Accord TDi and sell it as a TSX diesel or something. Diesels are making a comeback, Mercedes released the E320 TDi with good gas mileage. I wish my Acura TSX was diesel and wish it is available, but I don't see that happening here anytime soon.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Racer

just want to say that i want a SMART. but it's a over price car. because this car will let you know the meaning of "EXTRA".