Too soon to ditch the 07 TSX 6MT Navi???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too soon to ditch the 07 TSX 6MT Navi???

So i have a bad habit of jumping from car to car. I'm 25, and since I was 17 I've owned 8 cars, which averages out to be a new car every year. I just got my TSX in April and I really like it so far but just like most things I buy, theres always something bigger, better and newer out there and I always want it. Well today I was just browsing over Carmax.com and found an 07 TL-S Manual with 9k on it for $33,599. I have been feeling like the TSX is underpowered and since Hondata hasn't hooked up a reflash yet, I'm aching for more. I guess I have 2 options at this point.

1. Sell my TSX and buy the more powerful TL-S. My TSX (which was paid for cash) was estimated at $27,500 PP (outstanding condition) with its 7k miles and then I have put on about $3200 in extras on it so I would probably ask for $29,000 all inclusive or part it out and get a few hundered more out of the extras. Then with the $29,000 or so (either in cash or a few grand in cash and $27000 in trade in value), put it down on the TL-S and finance the rest ($7k) including tax.

2. Wait longer for a Hondata reflash or possibly S/C the car for an extra $3500. The problem with this is that I don't have $3500 cash to just throw down on an S/C at any given moment and also what if Hondata just never comes out with the reflash.

My financial situation is that I got the car as a 25th b-day present from my mom so that I'd have a nice car with no car payment while I'm finishing up school (I'm not as spoiled as it sounds, I've paid for everything I've ever owned since I was 14... including the previous 7 cars but my family came into some money recently and decided to help me out on this one). Would I be stupid to go and dive into another car payment (even if it is only like $150 a month) after I just eliminated it 6 months ago? Is the TL-S even worth the extra $5 grand+tax?

Any advice? ? ?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Your mom purchased a car for you so that you could focus on school, and now your asking if you should ignore that fact, take advantage of the situation, and jump into a payment..? ..sounds like kind of an a$$ type move to me, no matter how cheap the payments. I think if you are still considering it, at least give some respect and talk it out with her instead of on the Internet with strangers.

Do as she intended and focus on school. Then when you are rewarded from this with a good career, buy your mom a new car. You have a great opportunity that not many are offered.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by tnrsxs
Your mom purchased a car for you so that you could focus on school, and now your asking if you should ignore that fact, take advantage of the situation, and jump into a payment..? ..sounds like kind of an a$$ type move to me, no matter how cheap the payments. I think if you are still considering it, at least give some respect and talk it out with her instead of on the Internet with strangers.

So as she intended and focus on school. Then when you are rewarded from this with a good job, buy your mom a new car.

Well I have 2 jobs right now while I'm in school so its not like I'm not bringing in my own $. I guess it is kinda stupid to pay for a car when i don't have to although I know SHE personally wouldn't care what car I drive as long as I'm happy with it. And she doesn't need new car, she just dropped $40,000 on a new Jeep Commander this summer so... I think she's set for a while.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Admiral Crunch

I agree completely with tnrsxs... You're only 25, and you have to focus on school and other things. If you finish school, get your money squared away, save up, then you'll be in a position to buy something really nice when you have the money, without going into debt. TRUST ME, going into debt for anything requires lots of thought - a house is one thing, it will only appreciate, but for a car.... for something that depreciates, its not a quite good idea. You should be happy that you have a new car as cool as the TSX, and enjoy it. If you work hard, in the future you'll be able to have an awesome car without the strings of debt attached. Either way, good luck with your decision. Thats just my
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSX Wisc Badger
Well I have 2 jobs right now while I'm in school so its not like I'm not bringing in my own $. I guess it is kinda stupid to pay for a car when i don't have to although I know SHE personally wouldn't care what car I drive as long as I'm happy with it. And she doesn't need new car, she just dropped $40,000 on a new Jeep Commander this summer so... I think she's set for a while.
Yeah - but I would guess the point of her buying you a car is so that you don't need to have two jobs while going to school. She wants you to focus on your education so that one day you can afford to buy your kids a car.

Change the, "I know she personally wouldn't care", to... "I spoke to her about it and she said.... ". If your asking here, you didn't talk to her about it and come to a conclusion to your situation with her.

Buying her a new car was just an example of expressing your gratitude for all she has done for you. The point is, focus on school, become successful, and find ways to show your appreciation towards her. Selling her gift, and adding more bills to your debt to pay off while in school was probably not in her plan.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Obviously a TL is superior to a TSX in just about every way imagineable, I say go for it. However, put yourself into having to drive this car every day. I'm sure you guys get hit hard with the snow and the S isn't fun trying to move around in the snow, especially in a 6 speed so make sure you keep all that in mind.

I say take out the S for a couple days (assuming they will let you), if you like it, talk to Mom, and go from there with it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 PM
B A N N E D

so i guess you guys are saying go with option #3 which would be stop crying and deal with the fact you have a new car for free? I guess my intentions on posting this was to figure out which of the 2 options were better because I wanted a car with more power.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

so i guess you guys are saying go with option #3 which would be stop crying and deal with the fact you have a new car for free? I guess my intentions on posting this was to figure out which of the 2 options were better because I wanted a car with more power.
And I'm not trying to be an ass. Just giving my honest opinion. Sometimes its hard to step away from your own situation and see the big picture. You asked for opinion, I thought I would offer mine.

I hope whatever direction you go, it works out for you.

Oh - and Im new to the TSX and might be missing something, but I cant see you getting 27 for your car. I just purchased a brand new 08 with Nav last week for a few hundred more than that. and you almost never get your money back on mods, so dont count on that for extra $
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah - but I would guess the point of her buying you a car is so that you don't need to have two jobs while going to school. She wants you to focus on your education so that one day you can afford to buy your kids a car.

Change the, "I know she personally wouldn't care", to... "I spoke to her about it and she said.... ". If your asking here, you didn't talk to her about it and come to a conclusion to your situation with her.

Buying her a new car was just an example of expressing your gratitude for all she has done for you. The point is, focus on school, become successful, and find ways to show your appreciation towards her. Selling her gift, and adding more bills to your debt to pay off while in school was probably not in her plan.
well i understand what you are saying but 1. shes the kind of mom who would just say something like "oh you got a new car, thats nice, i like the color" rather than question the motive or think back to the fact that I am now paying for a car again. I think I could have gotten an M5 if i wanted to pay for it... she just said "heres $30,000 for a car go pick one out"

and i know what he ment about buying her a car but i was just pointing out the fact that I do other things that dont involve money to let her know i appreciate her kind gesture... she doesnt need me (or anyone else) buying her a car anymore.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Intermediate

well i understand what you are saying but 1. shes the kind of mom who would just say something like "oh you got a new car, thats nice, i like the color" rather than question the motive or think back to the fact that I am now paying for a car again. I think I could have gotten an M5 if i wanted to pay for it... she just said "heres $30,000 for a car go pick one out"

and i know what he ment about buying her a car but i was just pointing out the fact that I do other things that dont involve money to let her know i appreciate her kind gesture... she doesnt need me (or anyone else) buying her a car anymore.
Just because she seems a little loose with money and memory, doesn't mean you should simply take advantage of the situation. Do this for yourself as well. Enjoy your very nice car, relax a bit on work, and dig into school. I guarantee you will look back and be thankful that is what you did. Give yourself some discipline, before you buy a TL-S and then think it was a bad idea later on, and then step into yet another car. Stop while you are ahead, because you are currently in a winning situation already!!

Oh, and I will quit taking your thread in a direction you probably didn't intend, I'm just killing time during Intermission of the Hockey game I am watching.
GO WINGS!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I went through this same stage when I was your age (a long time ago), so I won't waste time on trying to point out the folly of your potential move. I will bring up a point that hasn't been touched yet, that being your overly optimistic prediction on the worth of your TSX. Unless there's a big regional factor (I'm on the east coast), it's unlikely you'll see anywhere near the $27K+ for your car. You can buy a new 07 for less than that now (and the 6-spd will make it a harder sell). The add-ons would actually be a detriment in most potential private sales (who wants a modded 07 TSX? Less poeple than you think). I'm with the "enjoy what you have and be thankful" camp here. You'll again get to indulge your game of automotive musical chairs soon enough.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I went through this same stage when I was your age (a long time ago), so I won't waste time on trying to point out the folly of your potential move. I will bring up a point that hasn't been touched yet, that being your overly optimistic prediction on the worth of your TSX. Unless there's a big regional factor (I'm on the east coast), it's unlikely you'll see anywhere near the $27K+ for your car. You can buy a new 07 for less than that now (and the 6-spd will make it a harder sell). The add-ons would actually be a detriment in most potential private sales (who wants a modded 07 TSX? Less poeple than you think). I'm with the "enjoy what you have and be thankful" camp here. You'll again get to indulge your game of automotive musical chairs soon enough.
agreed - see the bottom of my post on #8
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 PM
B A N N E D

Just because she seems a little loose with money and memory, doesn't mean you should simply take advantage of the situation. Do this for yourself as well. Enjoy your very nice car, relax a bit on work, and dig into school. I guarantee you will look back and be thankful that is what you did. Give yourself some discipline, before you buy a TL-S and then think it was a bad idea later on, and then step into yet another car. Stop while you are ahead, because you are currently in a winning situation already!!

Oh, and I will quit taking your thread in a direction you probably didn't intend, I'm just killing time during Intermission of the Hockey game I am watching.
GO WINGS!

no no no everything you've said makes sense... hard to hear but i understand. I wouldn't have posted it if i didnt want peoples opinion.

I just know that I've done well in school while having these 2 jobs previously (i only work like 20 hrs a week total and bring home about $500 a week) but pay all my own bills. it looks like I could afford a small car payment of like $150-200 and still be on my same budget while in school. I guess financially it just made more sense in my head to pay $200 a month for 286hp car rather than save $3500 ($200 a month for over a year and a half!) to have enough $ to supercharge the car up to like 240hp if/when it comes out for the 07 TSX.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Simba91102

edmunds.com says $27533 for private party for my 07 6MT navi in chicago. Judging by the what I paid for it new (sticker)... you might not even get an 07 non navi for that right now...stupid over priced yuppie ass area. I guess parting out would probably be easier too. I've sold 6 of my 8 cars myself and had some good success financially doing it that way so that probably why i might seem over confident about that aspect.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I wish I would have had your problems while I was struggling thru EE school
at UofW. Of course this was in the dark ages when we walked thru the snow uphill 10 miles both ways getting to classes. But I digress. Buy the biggest and best you can't afford and then commit bankruptcy; maybe a Z06 Corvette ?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 AM
B A N N E D

i hate corvettes so no worries there. I'm not going into debt, i'm always conscience about my finances and everything so its not like I can't afford it if I say I can... I guess maybe I'm just regreting not getting the TL-S instead of the TSX and just paying the extra $ upfront then and now wondering if i should do something about it.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Special-K

You'll only be financing about 5 to 6 grand if you end up selling your car at $27,500.. thats not alot of money to end up financing. And if you can get them to drop the price of the TL to about 30 grand.. you'll make out fine!.. Wheel and deal! you might end up financing 2 to 3 grand!
Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
B A N N E D

like i said its from carmax... no wheeling and dealing there but i guess I could look around.

most TL-S owners selling an 07 probably wouldn't take that big of a hit though.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Instructor

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Yes, you're 25 and still in school. First, I hope it's a master+ or a second degree or something...let's say, let's hope you're not an undergrad right now and mom's paying for your car. I'm 26 and I am capable of paying my own TSX with my own money. Hey, I've even thought about getting the TL too. But if my mom paid partial/fully on my TSX, I would use it and treasure it till I can fully pay for a brand new car later on and save the money instead of asking for a tad more to get a better car. You have two jobs, I would suppose they are part-time and it may cover your own tuition/entertainment/food/gas?/insurance?, but heck, I wouldn't be talking like money is not an issue if I'm still using my parents. And let's face it, knowing your history now after posting it, even if you get a TL-S, you'd want something else shortly anyhow. Don't tell me you'd ask for even more money then. It just financially doesn't make any sense for your parents or even yourself.

FYI, I have decided to stick with my TSX, so I can save up more and get a M3 or something for myself and paid for myself.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bibby
I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Yes, you're 25 and still in school. First, I hope it's a master+ or a second degree or something...let's say, let's hope you're not an undergrad right now and mom's paying for your car. I'm 26 and I am capable of paying my own TSX with my own money. Hey, I've even thought about getting the TL too. But if my mom paid partial/fully on my TSX, I would use it and treasure it till I can fully pay for a brand new car later on and save the money instead of asking for a tad more to get a better car. You have two jobs, I would suppose they are part-time and it may cover your own tuition/entertainment/food/gas?/insurance?, but heck, I wouldn't be talking like money is not an issue if I'm still using my parents. And let's face it, knowing your history now after posting it, even if you get a TL-S, you'd want something else shortly anyhow. Don't tell me you'd ask for even more money then. It just financially doesn't make any sense for your parents or even yourself.

FYI, I have decided to stick with my TSX, so I can save up more and get a M3 or something for myself and paid for myself.
so are you saying you wouldnt take a free car if it was given to you? I was able to afford my own RSX-S... I understand it was a little bit cheaper but not by that much. also i never said anything about asking for any more money from my mom... i was taking on the rest of what it would cost on my own.

as for school... no its not a masters or post grad degree. its a BA. I know I'm much older than most students, however I took a few years off to tour around with a band, play on and co-produce 2 albums and also a year to be with my dad during his fight with cancer for 9 months. so on top of all that, i changed my major too so i had to start almost from scratch. I'm not embarassed nor do I hide the fact that I'm 25 and in college still... I dont go out to house parties or bars to skeeze on chicks, i rather sit at home and post on this damn website and work on my photography. The personal side of this stuff is kinda irrelevent (at least this part).
Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Special-K

like i said its from carmax... no wheeling and dealing there but i guess I could look around.

most TL-S owners selling an 07 probably wouldn't take that big of a hit though.
You can wheel and deal anywhere!.. Trust me i know!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Advanced

I think it's perfectly fine you asked the question. I dunno why so much people are getting bent out of shape about your mom, etc. Who gives a damn, you know your personal/family, money, school situation better than any of us, so i'm not gonna try give you the lecture. I got my own financial problems and stuff to worry about than to try set you straight on that front haha.

What i do think you should think about is the rate at which you go through cars. A car a year is stupid fast. Honestly, do you think you'll be happy with a TL-S in a year, or will you still want something harder better faster stronger? (Damn song stuck in my head) No money factor involved, i say you just stick it out with the tsx. Give it 3yrs if you can, and even 3yrs owning a car is short. If you are like everybody else, you'll get used to the power, so i'm assuming that even the TL-S will feel average or just adequate.

This is not counting any factors like how fast you change cars, but just car for car, TSX for TL-S, if i was personally in your situation i would try to see if i can get the TL-S if i can stay financially stable. I'm not gonna lie, if my mom didn't care if i got rid of the TSX, i'd at least try if...IF...i could get a decent amount on the TSX and negotiate the price on the TL. I wouldn't do it just because i can. But if it's something i considered a deal, hell yes i'd go for it.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Advanced

Like others have said, I would just keep the TSX cause I bet you'll get tired of the TL-S soon. Once you get a job and off on your own, you'll understand there are a ton of other expenses. Sometimes I wish I had kept my celica cause I wouldn't have any car payments at all now. If I were in your situation I would take the extra money to either pay tuition, max my roth ira, save for a house or a nice rock for your girl.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
i would keep your birthday present, enjoy and start saving that $3,500 to buy those goodies. remember NO PAYMENTS-nice. also acuras will have a redesign for 09. wait and see.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Personally ...

I would keep the 2007 TSX until I knew exactly what the brand new 2009 looked like but if you had to go for a TL, I would buy new. The TL is in its final year & sales have slacked off considerably (no longer #1 in its category) so a great deal is probably doable.

Altho, until you are done w/ school - the TSX's will save money on gas, tax & insurance ... is going 0 to 60 a second or 2 faster that important to you right now?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

nj2pa2nc makes a good point...be patient. when the TL and TSX are redesigned, you could get a new '08 Type S for a lot cheaper than that used Type S. You might even be interested in the redesigned models. Also, that will give you time to see if Hondata releases the reflash for our 07s and you can think about supercharging your car. there really seems to be no reason to rush here.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Regardless of anything else, show a little respect to your family who helped you with the car and at least ask them how they would feel if you sold the car so soon.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, just an fyi...the CT supercharger (including installation) is over $1k more than you think it is.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by weeeerd
Obviously a TL is superior to a TSX in just about every way imagineable, I say go for it.
I would disagree (how unexpected!) - the TL is heavier, not as easy to throw around in the curves, and gets worse gas millage. These may be considered deficiencies of the TL. I was also going to list "only comes in auto" but this is an S-type so at least you can get the 6spd. If you do get the TL-S, please get the 6spd. IMO it would be such a waste otherwise.

They seem to be equivalent (or nearly) in terms of technology, and maybe prestige.

If you want a car faster in the quarter & that has more back seat room, along with the renewed pleasure of a car payment, get the TL; otherwise, stick with the TSX. They are both great cars, so you're not losing either way.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Regardless of anything else, show a little respect to your family who helped you with the car and at least ask them how they would feel if you sold the car so soon.

Hold on to it. No need to rush into another one already and have an added payment.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bufo
Like others have said, I would just keep the TSX cause I bet you'll get tired of the TL-S soon. Once you get a job and off on your own, you'll understand there are a ton of other expenses. Sometimes I wish I had kept my celica cause I wouldn't have any car payments at all now. If I were in your situation I would take the extra money to either pay tuition, max my roth ira, save for a house or a nice rock for your girl.
good call on the rock

however, i don't see what other expenses are out there... I'm already paying for everything, including my tuiton.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Also, just an fyi...the CT supercharger (including installation) is over $1k more than you think it is.
yeah i just realized that too... which unfortunatly makes just getting the more powerful TL-S more appealing.

I dunno... I probably will just stick with the TSX for a while... the GF agrees with all of you and says she's liked this car more than any other car that we looked at. Gotta keep the lady happy i guess.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:32 PM
06-NBP

Wow. I graduated from college at 24, and I’m 26 right now and I bought my TSX when I was 25. I’m working, paying rent, car payments, utilities, and all that other crap. The money you can be saving for either retirement, down payment on the house, Roth IRAs, investing in bank CDs is much more worth it in the long run than a $30K+ car.

Every car gets a redesigned in a few years making the one you got look dated. In all honesty, this TSX is my first and probably last “nice” car I’m going to buy. The fact that I want to keep it clean with wash and wax, vacuum it spotless, applying the lexol leather conditioner, and the wonderful preventative and repair maintenance stuff to follow, just isn’t worth the time and money in the long run. Granted that I’m not married or have kids or have a house payment, but when I do, taking care of the car will probably the last thing I have on my mind.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Just keep the TSX. Be happy with what you have for now. In the meantime, if you have spare cash, save them. Your wallet with thank you, and you will thank yourself in the long-run.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

TSX Wisc Badger, you have impulse problems. I can sympathise with your discomfort in the TSX, I hate the fact that the engine has to get as noisy as it does just to extract power from it, but you should learn about something called delayed gratification. At least promise yourself that you'll hold onto a car for atleast a year and take anything you don't like about the TSX as punishment for having not chosen something that would have made you happy to begin with, and re-enforcing the value of planning more carefully, and you'll have an improved character for it in the end.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Dude, you are so lucky to have what you have.

When I went to college in the mid/late 80s, I was married, had a kid, in Army ROTC, Army National Guard, worked one job on weekdays, another job on weekends, and my major was computer science and I could not afford a computer and did all my work at the University’s labs. My first car was an 81 Buick Regal with +80,000 miles my wife and I paid for ourselves (the wife and I we still together after 23 years).

I wanted the hottest car at that time like an IROC-Z or a Toyota Supra in 1989. The one of the signs of maturity is delaying your gratification of your wants. Get through college and grad school with the least amount of loans and bills as possible!!! If you have a need to pay extra money for something, purchase a condo, townhouse or house.

You will never be as satisfied with a car compared to buying a house or being bill free after college.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

You aren't going to get that price on your tsx.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by aznt1217
You aren't going to get that price on your tsx.
and what makes you think that?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Instructor

I am going to have to agree with most, You are 25 years old. Something new comes out every year that you are going to want. I don't think you are setting up a good pattern for yourself when you subcome to every temptation just because you can.

Stick with the tsx, save your money, and be thankful that your mother just payed for a brand new car, that you don't have to worry about making a payment on. Its time to start growing up a little.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by itsme27
I am going to have to agree with most, You are 25 years old. Something new comes out every year that you are going to want. I don't think you are setting up a good pattern for yourself when you subcome to every temptation just because you can.

Stick with the tsx, save your money, and be thankful that your mother just payed for a brand new car, that you don't have to worry about making a payment on. Its time to start growing up a little.

i love how this has become more about my maturity and financial situation rather than the comparison of 2 cars...

remind me to never to include personal info when I post in the future

Quick Reply: Too soon to ditch the 07 TSX 6MT Navi???