Too Good to be True? 2005 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004 | 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Too Good to be True? 2005 TSX

I went to a dealer today and he agreed to sell me a 2005 tsx I want for $500 over invoice (whatever it comes out to be).

I offered a $500 deposit, but he said it wasn't necessary.

He wrote out the details on th back of his business card with his signature and e-mailed me the "deal". He was the general sales manager.

He showed me a listing of cars coming in. He pointed to one which said the start of the build date was 10/15. It had a number next to it but he said it wan't the VIN.

He expects it to be here from Nov 30rd to Dec 14th. Is this guy yanking my chain? Why did he say the depost wasn't necessary?

what evryone's thoughts?

I'm renting a car now and don't want to get screwed come deal time...
Old 11-05-2004 | 08:09 PM
Advanced

Jeffro

I am a sales associate at an Acura dealer, so I think I should be able to give you some answers.

Is he yanking your chain about the deal? Sounds like it. Corporate headquarters or the district headquarters would raise hell for doing a 500 dollar deal on a FRESH 05 TSX, but who knows? Maybe you gave you a fake invoice figure. (Remember invoice and cost are 2 different things. Invoice is the price the dealership pays to ge the car, but they do have to put money into it - put it in the shop, detail it, etc...). However, it could be the real deal. As an employee I will be paying 500 over COST on my 05 (due here in December).

As far as the incoming date, you said he showed you a date of 10/14 (or something close to that). It usually takes a month after that date that is the build date, or assembly date. But depending on where you are located it takes a leaste a month to ship it from Japan. (If your East coast then maybe another couple of weeks to truck/train it).

Usually the sales manager doesn't deal directly with customers, but it does happen on rare occasions. Now there is such a thing as a Floor manager or Crew manager who is just the top sales person with a fancy title. You never really can tell unless you work there.

Bottom line if you can get it for 500 over cost (on a 6spd navi 2005 that's about 28000 - subtract 2000 for a non-Navi) pull the trigger immediately. But it now, and never look back!

Hope that helps!
Old 11-05-2004 | 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by twon_aka_hollaatyaboy
Invoice is the price the dealership pays to ge the car, but they do have to put money into it - put it in the shop, detail it, etc...).
What about holdback?
Old 11-06-2004 | 01:03 AM
Team Owner

Sounds like your chain is being yanked. Without a sales agreement and a deposit there is nothing that says you will get the car. Numbers on a business card won't hold water particularly since its a brand spanking new 05 model. I do hope that I'm wrong about this and that you do get that deal. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2004 | 02:33 AM
Race Director

I guess you'll have to wait to find out - but you can always be screwed when he gives you an inflated invoice price.
Old 11-06-2004 | 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Have you gone to another Acura dealership? Have they given you the same information? It is very unlikey they would sell you a brand new 2005 TSX for that price plus not put a deposit down. Sounds kind of fishy.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 11-06-2004 | 09:07 AM
Just dial 1911

I dealt with the sales manager as well when I bought mine. But he told me to put a deposit on it just so I would have first dibs when it showed up on the lot (only $100, and they dont deposit the check).

So he really isnt obligated to sell you the car when it shows up. I would go back down and more forcefuly ask to put a deposit since your serious about buying it. Then, just hold the manager to his deal, since he wrote it down and signed it.
Old 11-06-2004 | 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by twon_aka_hollaatyaboy
Jeffro

I am a sales associate at an Acura dealer, so I think I should be able to give you some answers.

Is he yanking your chain about the deal? Sounds like it. Corporate headquarters or the district headquarters would raise hell for doing a 500 dollar deal on a FRESH 05 TSX, but who knows? Maybe you gave you a fake invoice figure. (Remember invoice and cost are 2 different things. Invoice is the price the dealership pays to ge the car, but they do have to put money into it - put it in the shop, detail it, etc...). However, it could be the real deal. As an employee I will be paying 500 over COST on my 05 (due here in December).

As far as the incoming date, you said he showed you a date of 10/14 (or something close to that). It usually takes a month after that date that is the build date, or assembly date. But depending on where you are located it takes a leaste a month to ship it from Japan. (If your East coast then maybe another couple of weeks to truck/train it).

Usually the sales manager doesn't deal directly with customers, but it does happen on rare occasions. Now there is such a thing as a Floor manager or Crew manager who is just the top sales person with a fancy title. You never really can tell unless you work there.

Bottom line if you can get it for 500 over cost (on a 6spd navi 2005 that's about 28000 - subtract 2000 for a non-Navi) pull the trigger immediately. But it now, and never look back!

Hope that helps!
I called and asked for the sales manager and setup an appointment. I thought when it came down to doing the deal, they would try to inflate the invoice price, but the published invoice should be out.... Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks fo the advice.

By the wy, it's a Cg/Ebony/5AT/Non-Navi