TL-S Trade?!?!?! Financial Advice too!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S Trade?!?!?! Financial Advice too!

Hey guys,

Just got a call back from the deal and they offered me more money for my car. I am now looking at this:

TL-S price: $33,859 + TTL
Trade-in Price: $23,000 (06 5AT non-navi, 6400 miles)
Finance Rate: 6.99%

rough monthly payment: $249 for 5 years
current monthly TSX payment: $162 for 3 years and could prob pay it off in like 2 months and have no car payment.

Background, i have a really good paying job and living at home to try and save money with about $22k in student loans locked in at 4.5% and no other real payments except cell phone and train pass. Would i be stupid to do this, or stupid not to do this on such a sweet car?!?!

I have been wanting a little more power for a long time but having been trying to make myself content with what the TSX, which i am like 90% of the time.

Opinions?!?!

Oh yea, and i really like the TL-S and would pretty much ONLY tint the windows but still need to test drive it again....def handles like a bigger car!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
my advice-wait to see what the 09 redesigned tsx will be like and in the meantime pay-off the loan and save.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

When do you plan on moving out? Having a monthly car payment(although pretty low in your circumstance) definitely makes a difference when you are paying a mortgage and fending completely for yourself.

If you are trying to save, why create another monthly car payment for yourself?

I myself find this offer pretty tempting, but if I wanted to save and move out, I would be 100% fine with my TSX.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
VSA Rocks

I thought AMHF is offering 4.9% for TL-S's? They have on their website 2.9% for 24 months and 4.9% for 60 months. If its due to your current credit, my financial advise would be to build your credit and aim for 750 FICO or higher.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now comes the question.... will you decide with your heart or with your head? I think you know the prudent, financially responsible thing to do is to save up for a house. Putting more money into a depreciating asset like a new car will set you back further financially. Keep your eye on the long term prize.

On the other hand, you're only young once...
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
my advice-wait to see what the 09 redesigned tsx will be like and in the meantime pay-off the loan and save.
advise change-keep the tsx, pay-off the loan and save for the move. enjoy the tsx-i love mine- a 06 6spd w/nav, bought new 11/17/06, with 23,650 miles on it.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You just got that car! Keep it and pay off your loans, then you'll feel better!

Think with your head, not your heart.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Rebourne

Go for the TL-s the Student loans will still be there tomorrow. Come to think of it, you'll allways be in debt for the rest of your life anyway. You're young, go for it. I know I would.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pay off the car, then the student loans.

after that you can get something better than the tl-s. or at least the next gen tl-s.

or if you're still in love with it at that point, you can buy a used for cheap
Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the all the feedback guys. For general responses....

That special financing rate is good if you don't take the $1500 cash back. My credit score is a 760 they told me, but since i elected to take the cash back, it doesn't allow you to get the 4.9% for 60 months or 2.9% for 36 months.

The main reasons i would want the TL-S would be for the additional power, i probably wouldn't do much in the way of mods cause its plenty fast for me, i wish i got the navi on my TSX but it wasn't an option when i go it as a leftover, and just because the inside i think is personally a lot cooler with the backup cam and navi and such. Other than that i think i am just going with my heart on this and not my head!

The deal is GREAT and i am young and that is why i am considering it. I am going to take another test drive because the first one was in the rain and not that long so i didn't get to actually "test drive" the car. The TSX is more "tossable" and probably better for my short commute to the train station of 2.8 miles one way but i just don't want to do.

My loans will be there for a long time but even with the car payment, i could pay off them a little too.....

As for moving out, i have no idea. Things with my g/f are getting pretty serious but she is about to start a X-ray program in May that goes for 2 years, so nothing can happen while she is in that due to the amount of time she will need to study and such. So, i have like 2.5 years before i probably will be moving out because its stupid for me to do that when living at home is not that bad at all, i'm a big family guy!

EDIT: Oh yea, and with all the stuff i would sell form my TSX it would probably be like $2k-$2.5k worth of stuff with the wheels and tires and such which i would then turn around and put tint on the TL-S and then just throw the money right into the pot to pay it off. I could probably pay it off by next decemeber if i really tried!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

^^ sounds like you've already made up your mind.

This is what happens when you listen to joerockt.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Well we will be sorry to see you leave the forum. I would check your local banks to see if they have a lower interest rate than 6.99%. I know I got around 5.25% when I bought last sept and they can't have gone up that much since then. I mean 1.5% is 1.5% less they get to charge ya. On s side note, what kind of job do you have? I mean paying off ~$11000 in 4 months must me an you are bringing in some heavy moola. And another side note...student loans are GOOD debt, like a mortgage, since you can claim the interest paid on your income taxes so use them while you can!

Happy driving TL-S dude!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja

+1

jwood, you've just gotten your ass elected to get your centercaps stolen by me.

Just kidding. Do what you want to do. I say go for it.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Now comes the question.... will you decide with your heart or with your head? I think you know the prudent, financially responsible thing to do is to save up for a house. Putting more money into a depreciating asset like a new car will set you back further financially. Keep your eye on the long term prize.

On the other hand, you're only young once...
I agree. Its a tough call.

Having said that I vote for keeping the TSX and hitting that 22K loan with everything you have first. If your smart you can have the TSX and the loan paid in 2 to 3 years which frees you up in many ways.

At that point your options for a new car will also be much better than they are now. New TL and TSX, 135 etc, etc....

And thanks to the fucktard the TSX section of the board will be empty by September.

Any idea what kind of deal you can get on a G35
Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

6.99%?

Save your car and your money.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
6.99%?

Save your car and your money.
I agree on both counts.

6.99% APR while trying to save, is akin to poking "speed holes" in a submarine to go faster.

Jordan -- keep the TSX, pay it off, pay off the student loans, and then think about a new car. Really, 2.8 miles each way -- does it REALLY need that TL-S monster? Heck does it really need a TSX? Nope, probably a 1995 Civic, like most of us, but honestly I think your level head should prevail and you should stay status quo -- keep the TSX, save your money and pay down debt. I know I wish every day that I'd saved up more money for a BIG down payment on a house. It'll make the next 20+ years of your life SO much better. Think -- boat, 2+ cars, all the toys and tools you want, etc...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
And thanks to the fucktard the TSX section of the board will be empty by September.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Just dial 1911

Mmmuuahahahahah!!! Spreading the disease baby...

Do it. You know you want to...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by dom
I agree. Its a tough call.

Having said that I vote for keeping the TSX and hitting that 22K loan with everything you have first. If your smart you can have the TSX and the loan paid in 2 to 3 years which frees you up in many ways.

At that point your options for a new car will also be much better than they are now. New TL and TSX, 135 etc, etc....

Its dying a slow death anyway. The TL guys are having a blast with me
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
WOW. That's a smoking deal EXCEPT for the finance rate of 6.99%. That's pretty high and adding a few thousand dollars to the total cost of the car.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Racer

Depends how much you like your TSX. And if you can pay off a TL-S by end of next year, the not-so-great interest rate isn't a big deal.

If you luv, luv the TL-S just the way it is, and you don't the TSX, go for it.

However, if you like, like, like the TL-S better than the TSX, but don't love it absolutely (not as tossable, etc.), and might fall heads over heels for another car coming out in 1-2 years (e.g. redesigned TL), then hold on to the TSX for now.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

The TL depreciates faster than the TSX and is more expensive. I'm just saying ...
Old 08-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

ALL amazing points on both sides. I have been up all night talk through this with myself, my g/f, my grandfather and parents.....lol. My grandfather is a very level headed guy so i like his advice. Basically, i do LOVE the TL-S BUT, like Eric and Jan pointed out i don't NEED a TL-S to drive to the train station, in fact i looked into getting a civic from a friend for like $3k just for that reason but the TSX is fine for that as well as other things. I just don't seem to be content with the TSX even though i do honestly WANT to be but i don't think the TL-S would make that any better.

Anyway, its looking like i'm going to do the "level headed thing" and turn it down tomorrow. If anyone wants a sweet deal, let me know and they can have my price. BTW, i would have gotten that Carbon Bronze, SOO sweet!!

Oh yea, and Dom, i did price the G35's too.....lol. Got a deal down to $32,750+TTL for a G35 coupe with the premium package, pretty far below invoice

I really do honestly appreciate the feedback guys, it really did help.....except for Joerockt He is my inner demon that wants the car!!

Just to satisfy me if i decide to keep the TSX, i'm getting comptech headers and if get that damn vibration, i am done modding! Seriously, that is also one of the reasons i wanted to get the TL-S, i would leave it alone and NOT mod it.....its too addicting and it needs to stop!!!!

EDIT: I really hope i don't reget not getting this car....at least not for a long time! I think i'll put a dent in my loans, and then look into the newer 2010 TL or TSX after they work the kinks out of the 09's!!!....lol Can't stop....gotta stop.....
Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Just dial 1911

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:29 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could always do a navi swap. and invest in your tsx for life! =P lol!!! keep the car for now.. i think you'll clean up your debts.. waiting for the best!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
TSX

Don't do it or wait and buy a used one next year...
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Special-K

I was just over at the TL community and a TL-S auto went to the track and ran consistant 15.7.. haha thats not more power! Unless this TL-S is a 6speed please dont do it! Trade your auto TSX in for a 6speed TSX.. if more power is what your looking for. It might come out to be the same payments as you have already?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM
B A N N E D

i hope you dont mind me asking... but what do you do for a living
Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Racer

It's very hard to be level headed when you're a car maniac (well, at least I find it hard to be lol!)

Regardless, I think it's best not to "force" yourself to be level headed but rather, do it for a good reason. The good reason being, it's going to leave you financially more flexible to buy what will really satisfy you in the future.

My take is that the TSX is not really the car for you. If you still don't love it that much, that's a sign.

It's the post-test drive/dealer experience that's making your head spin. I think we all experience that. It'll go away later and you won't regret that you didn't jump on this one. I think, if the TL-S was really the one for you, you would have jumped on it. It would have been too hard to resist, given that you are financially able to.

EDIT: I did that with a 5000 km new car (traded it in for the TSX) and I didn't regret it one bit since. I knew it in my gut though.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
I was just over at the TL community and a TL-S auto went to the track and ran consistant 15.7.. haha thats not more power! Unless this TL-S is a 6speed please dont do it! Trade your auto TSX in for a 6speed TSX.. if more power is what your looking for. It might come out to be the same payments as you have already?
That's clearly a driver issue.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Overtaxed
It's very hard to be level headed when you're a car maniac (well, at least I find it hard to be lol!)

Regardless, I think it's best not to "force" yourself to be level headed but rather, do it for a good reason. The good reason being, it's going to leave you financially more flexible to buy what will really satisfy you in the future.

My take is that the TSX is not really the car for you. If you still don't love it that much, that's a sign.

It's the post-test drive/dealer experience that's making your head spin. I think we all experience that. It'll go away later and you won't regret that you didn't jump on this one. I think, if the TL-S was really the one for you, you would have jumped on it. It would have been too hard to resist, given that you are financially able to.

EDIT: I did that with a 5000 km new car (traded it in for the TSX) and I didn't regret it one bit since. I knew it in my gut though.
Yea, it comes down to a matter of being content and i "think" that the TL-S would make me happy but in reality, i don't really know until i would get it. There is nothing wrong with the TSX and for the updgraded features on the TL-S (power, navi, backup camera, and a few other little things) i would even really be able to use them all that much to justify the price. This is of course my thinking and trying to convince myself that i made the right decision because now when i see them on the road, i'm like "darn it, i could have that right now."

There are tons of cars that i would LOVE to have and that would satisfy me, like the upcoming GT-R, but $70k?!?!....lol. I think its best for me to just save and try and put a dent in my loans over the next year and then maybe look to get a 2009 or 2010 and i bet that they will still offer me the first price they did of $19,500 in a year or so.....lol

As for the TL-S doing only 15.7 seconds.....it def wasn't as fast as i was expecting it to be but it should be faster than that!!! Then again, it was an auto too, but i was actually surprised cause i was expecting more! Don't get me wrong, the sucker moves, but i'm just saying...
Old 08-26-2007, 03:16 AM
Burning Brakes

You just got the TSX the residual value isn't even worth the trade man. The TSX is a great car and everyone of us would love to upgrade, but I'd think more long term.

Drive the TSX around. Pay off your loans. With some other spare cash invest in a ROTH IRA (never too early to start). And move the heck out. At your age, even at mine, I'm more concerned with saving for wedding, house, and retirement.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Just to satisfy me if i decide to keep the TSX, i'm getting comptech headers and if get that damn vibration, i am done modding! Seriously, that is also one of the reasons i wanted to get the TL-S, i would leave it alone and NOT mod it.....its too addicting and it needs to stop!!!!
Jordan, what engine mods do you have?

I'm asking because, if performance is what you're missing from the TSX, a reflash+header will make significant difference in how the car accelerates. Granted, that would be another $1K. But, with my icebox/reflash/header it really feels like a different car. And mine is 04 so I can imagine that your 06 would be even quicker.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Jordan, what engine mods do you have?

I'm asking because, if performance is what you're missing from the TSX, a reflash+header will make significant difference in how the car accelerates. Granted, that would be another $1K. But, with my icebox/reflash/header it really feels like a different car. And mine is 04 so I can imagine that your 06 would be even quicker.
Actually, i just ordered the headers and plan on doing the reflash maybe in the spring and i really hope that it give me what i'm looking for. However, if i get that darn comptech header rattle, i will be taking them directly off and selling them and probably going with the Topspeed header like you as i don't want the DC hiss either. So i will be installing probably over the Labor day weekend assuming i recieve them by then. I am really hoping that the header and reflash do what you said it did on your car.

Oh yea, and i already have the icebox!

aznt - My 401k through work is actually already setup as a Roth IRA, just got the ok from Vanguard that we could put it all in now! I plan on setting up a money market with them shortly too but i'm glad your looking to do that as well as such a young age
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Decisions Decisions

This is what life is all about.

Get the car if it'll make you happy, however, using the car as a commuter to the train station that's only 2.8 miles away seems like a waste.

If you do go through with it, try a credit union to see if you can get a lower rate than what's being offered by Acura.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Not sure if you have got the TL-S yet, but you should think about Investing in appreciate properties/funds instead of investing in depreciate items.

I'm a financial advisor, and do financial planning for my client. When you consider to buy/lease the TL-S, I'm sure you can AFFORD the car no matter what the rate it is. However, is it a MUST?

I'm definity sure you will enjoy your new car features + extra power, however, I don't know your financial situation or income.

The rule of thumbs to get rich (or richer). You live on your PREVIOUS income status, not your CURRENT income status. What does that mean? E.g. If your salary was $40,000 in 2005, and your current salary is $60,000 in 2007. You spend/live/all your expends as 2005, put your extra salary to investment or something that will appreicate. So, let say your salary goes up to $80,000 in 2009, then you start to spend/live/+ all your expends as 2007, which is base off your $60,000, and put the extra aside again.

You might NOT be the happiest person now because you can't spend all your hard-earn $$$, but you can retire earlier, OR you can retire @ the same period but w/ more $$$ to spend.

If I were in your situation, I will hold on to your "still-new" 2006 TSX until it has NO real value to it (approx. 3years later).

Just my opinion, don't flame.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuson
Not sure if you have got the TL-S yet, but you should think about Investing in appreciate properties/funds instead of investing in depreciate items.

I'm a financial advisor, and do financial planning for my client. When you consider to buy/lease the TL-S, I'm sure you can AFFORD the car no matter what the rate it is. However, is it a MUST?

I'm definity sure you will enjoy your new car features + extra power, however, I don't know your financial situation or income.

The rule of thumbs to get rich (or richer). You live on your PREVIOUS income status, not your CURRENT income status. What does that mean? E.g. If your salary was $40,000 in 2005, and your current salary is $60,000 in 2007. You spend/live/all your expends as 2005, put your extra salary to investment or something that will appreicate. So, let say your salary goes up to $80,000 in 2009, then you start to spend/live/+ all your expends as 2007, which is base off your $60,000, and put the extra aside again.

You might NOT be the happiest person now because you can't spend all your hard-earn $$$, but you can retire earlier, OR you can retire @ the same period but w/ more $$$ to spend.

If I were in your situation, I will hold on to your "still-new" 2006 TSX until it has NO real value to it (approx. 3years later).

Just my opinion, don't flame.
I don't flame anyone unless they severely deserve it, which is very rare for me because i beleive this place is for everyone's opinion. And in this case, you obviously have more experience in financial matters so would i flame you?

Anyway, i appreciate the response. I have decided against getting the TL-S for majority of what you inquired about. I plan on paying off the car in the next few months and trying to open up a money market. That is good advice about basically "living below your means" asi have heard before. I should be taking REAL advantage of this while living at home and i plan to do so once this car is paid off. So by the end of the year i should start being more "saving minded" if you may!

I am just trying to figure out what else to invest in besides my Roth IRA which is my companies 401k, and a money market since i don't have much money to invest yet anyway. But i guess that is an offtopic thread starter for another time.

But for everyone else, i ended up not going with the TL-S and as unhappy as i am right now, i think i will be happier once i pay the car off in 2 months.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

But for everyone else, i ended up not going with the TL-S and as unhappy as i am right now, i think i will be happier once i pay the car off in 2 months.
I dream of having no car payments...and I have 4.5 years left! You'll feel better about this decision once it's paid off.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I am just trying to figure out what else to invest in besides my Roth IRA which is my companies 401k, and a money market since i don't have much money to invest yet anyway. But i guess that is an offtopic thread starter for another time.

Firstly, I'd talk with a financial advisor in your area who knows the US markets and the PA tax laws. Nothing against chuson, as his advice is SOLID, but for your specific situation, Jordan, I'd talk with someone about how to go about investing based on what your company's 401K is like, etc... and your financial situation and goals. One way to start investing is to make monthly contributions, no matter the size, to funds where you're paying small fees (1-2%) to have a professional manage the exact holdings in the portfolio. Here in Canuckistan they're known as mutual funds... not sure about the U-S-and-A.

And you will be VERY happy having paid off the car in a few months. I long for that feeling.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
I dream of having no car payments...and I have 4.5 years left! You'll feel better about this decision once it's paid off.
I have a feeling that will make me appreciate it that much more! I only have a few slight mods left planned anyway and then i'm done spending money on it! Install the already bought CT headers, MAYBE reflash if i keep the CT headers if they don't rattle, paint calipers, side marker tint, and debage Acura and TSX off the back. Maybe paint the front grille but most likely not. Then i'd say i'm done and its time to start saving money!!!!

Quick Reply: TL-S Trade?!?!?! Financial Advice too!