Tire Pressure/Inflation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Pressure/Inflation

Any comments on which tire pressure rating to use? I've noticed quite a difference in the pressure recommendation on the driver's door vs. the tire itself.

Door Rating: 32F/30R
Tire Rating: 45 all around (so I'm thinking 45F/43R)

It would seem that the TSX's tires are pretty severely under inflated if the door rating is used. In the past I've always used the pressure as stated on the tire figuring they know best. The only time I've heard an explanation for the rating differential was during all the SUV rollovers making the news. Many SUV manufactures where telling people to use lower tire pressure setting to help prevent rollovers. I suspect that while it helped prevent rollovers it contributed to poorer fuel economy and tire ware.

Can anyone give cautions/reasons not to use the tire manufacture's pressure rating?

Thanks,
Thad
Old 06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think maybe 45 is the max pressure on the tires? Everyone here seems to go by the door rating, as do I.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Ratings on the tire are typically maximum pressures for that tire. The recommended pressures on the door are the ones that are set by the manufacturer after their extensive testing. Use those as they are the safest. If you inflate to around 45psi cold, you risk a blowout when the tires heat up and cause the pressure inside to rise.

And FYI, a compromise that seems to be popular amongst the regulars here is to run 35 psi all around.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Like CGTSX2004 said, if you're going to keep it at max PSI, then make sure you don't exceed 42PSI cold.

I keep mine at 40 PSI cold just for that extra safety margin, but I've noticed much better fuel economy compared to 32PSI.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Okay so 45 psi is just the never exceed rating, not the tire manufacture’s recommendation. While Acura recommends 32F/30R psi as the appropriate pressure rating for the TSX, I can use some pressures in between to customize the ride/handling/fuel economy to suite my preferences. I guess I should have done some "Google-ing" before posting. I found the following quote from TireRack and it seems, in general, you guys/gals agree with it:

"The pounds per square inch (psi) pressure number branded on the tire's sidewall identifies the maximum cold inflation pressure that specific tire is rated to hold. However, the tire's maximum pressure is not necessarily the correct pressure for every vehicle upon which the tire can be used (almost all vehicle manufacturers' recommended tire inflation pressures are less than the tires' maximum pressure).

Therefore when checking and adjusting tire inflation pressures, the "right" inflation pressures are those provided by the vehicle manufacturer, not the "maximum" inflation pressure branded on the tire's sidewall. The vehicle manufacturer's pressure recommendation can be found on the vehicle's tire information placard label, as well as in the vehicle owner's manual."

Thanks for your help once again.

Thad
Old 06-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Racer

dang, i just found out today that the tire shop put 40 PSI in my wheels! i just go my car about a month ago and was wondering why my ride was harsh. it felt like riding on solid rubber. i was starting to think they accidentally put a-spec suspension on my car. anyways, i got it down to 35F/33R and the ride is MUCH softer.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by feelgood13
dang, i just found out today that the tire shop put 40 PSI in my wheels! i just go my car about a month ago and was wondering why my ride was harsh. it felt like riding on solid rubber. i was starting to think they accidentally put a-spec suspension on my car. anyways, i got it down to 35F/33R and the ride is MUCH softer.
Maybe you should change your name to feelgood35/33
Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
Maybe you should change your name to feelgood35/33
hohoho! with wit like that, you should try for stand-up.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by feelgood13
A-spec suspension by accident? For free? Where do I sign up?!?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tasx
Any comments on which tire pressure rating to use? I've noticed quite a difference in the pressure recommendation on the driver's door vs. the tire itself . . .

Can anyone give cautions/reasons not to use the tire manufacture's pressure rating?
Yeah. The ride is extremely harsh. Michelin wants you to know how much weight and stress you can put on their tires (but only if pressure is at their stated max) - Acura, on the other hand, wants you to know how comfortable the ride can be (the lower the pressure, the better). For most of us (IMHO), that ride comfort is very important (it's paramount to me). But, if you are purely performance-oriented, fill those tires to Michelin's limit.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Gonna find some of that special air and experiment.

That air keeps the pressure regular for me, at a 90 degree ambient spread.

Is 40 lb for economy or performance?

I know, been debated, just buy two new sets of tires...
Old 06-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Racer

As most have stated, the recommended pressure by the manufacturer of the car (Acura) is what should be used. From that point you can adjust to your preferance (mileage, performance, load, comfort).
What to watch out for is when others put air in your tires (dealer, oil change place, tire place, etc) unfortunately most places believe they should fill to the cold max pressure stated on the tire This is called Cold Max PSI for a reason and is there to tell people that at this maximum pressure the max load that tire can hold is "X". Cold max psi is designed to handle full load stated on the tire AND the heat generated by that load as you drive as pressure will increase by 4-6 psi.

It's much better said @ TireRack Tire Rack Tire Tech

One thing people sometimes forget or don't know, when you change tire brands and/or models, call the tire manufacturer and ask for the recommended pressure for your car, they will often have pressures idea for your car.