tinting the moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:22 PM
a girl with an acura...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinting the moonroof

has anyone done this? i love my tint percent (32%), but i slid the shade open today and it brightened more than i would like.
if this is something that can be done, i'll do it this weekend.
if anyone has pics, post please!

a girl with an acura who wants it darker inside!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't see any reason it can't be done it's just glass. It's dark enough for me already though.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Orangeblood

Keep the shade closed?

Looks pretty dark to me.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:02 PM
a girl with an acura...

Originally Posted by MarkPinTx
Keep the shade closed?

Looks pretty dark to me.

durr --
sometimes i like to open the shade and crack the top open just a bit -- i want to enjoy it without burning my scalp

a girl with an acura who knew at least that much
Old 06-23-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm allergic to bull

I just tinted my glasses; 30% looks good on me. Wait, damn, there is something known as sunglasses.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isnt the moonroof glass already tinted quite a bit? I'll have to have a look again tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

the moonroof is tinted glass already. anyhoo, i hear that it's not a good idea to tint your moonroof, something about cracking glass, oh well. can't remember. i got my tint done from my neighbors business and he's been doin it for 25 years.

and well, honestly, it's kind of pointless having your moonroof tinted if you're planning to open the moonroof anyway.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:58 PM
a girl with an acura...

Originally Posted by dzuy
the moonroof is tinted glass already. anyhoo, i hear that it's not a good idea to tint your moonroof, something about cracking glass, oh well. can't remember. i got my tint done from my neighbors business and he's been doin it for 25 years.

and well, honestly, it's kind of pointless having your moonroof tinted if you're planning to open the moonroof anyway.

everyone is missing my point -- i want to be able to open the shade and just open the actual glass just a bit, i want some light, but i don't want it to be too hot -- i drive from birmingham to atlanta every friday at just the right time for the sun to be right above me and overwhelm me if i open the shade to open the glass a bit.
and don't tell me not to do that, b/c i want to do that, i just want to do it with less scalp burn.

a girl with an acura who doesn't like her head on fire (but likes a little light and breeze from above)
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by wickedlysane
everyone is missing my point -- i want to be able to open the shade and just open the actual glass just a bit, i want some light, but i don't want it to be too hot -- i drive from birmingham to atlanta every friday at just the right time for the sun to be right above me and overwhelm me if i open the shade to open the glass a bit.
and don't tell me not to do that, b/c i want to do that, i just want to do it with less scalp burn.

a girl with an acura who doesn't like her head on fire (but likes a little light and breeze from above)
well i guess i can't help you there. maybe you could open the cover as far as you want the light to go through.

the moonroof cover should help from getting your scalp on fire. so would the AC.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:17 AM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
and i thought i was the only person crazy enough to contemplate having darker tints on the moonroof. But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. In the 4 years I had my Passat, I could leave the shade pulled back all the time and drive around without feeling any heat from the sun. With the TSX however, there's already been a couple of times when I've had to close the shade cause my scalp was burning. The tints on the acura/honda moonroofs are definitely a lot lighter than VW's.

Depending on where you are, there's plenty of times where opening the moonroof completely is not an option, and I like the brighter, airy feeling of just having the shades pulled back but the roof closed or tilted (another thing I missed about VW, they tilted more, so you would get more air in, but on the flip side, they are noticeably louder at higher speeds).
Old 06-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sure, I always tinted my moonroof on all of my cars. Two Civics and the TSX. I like to open the cover and let the light in but not the heat. Works great.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Tuxedo Cat

I can't think of any reason you can't add additional tint to your moonroof. The moonroof is made of glass that's colored internally, not covered with a film, so there's no problem adding a film layer to the inside.

Just find a good quality tinter to do the job. It may be a bit of a pain in the ass because he'll have to work from underneath, so he may want to either remove the moonroof himself or have you remove it and bring it to him.

I'd do a 50% tint. That'll cut the light you're getting now by half. Between that and the existing factory tint, you should be somewhere in the 15-20% range total.

VBTSX
Old 06-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Advanced

if you still want light to come in and not the heat you should probably use quantum hp tint, its not dark but it cuts a lot of heat and uv, i cant see any reason why they cant tint the moonroof
Old 06-24-2004, 03:28 PM
heywood j. ablowme

why not open the shade just a tad and tilt the sunroof? the air still gets circulated and the sun would be almost completed blocked out, if you open the shade to where the frame of the sunroof ends.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

tsx noob has a cool sn
Old 06-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dzuy
tsx noob has a cool sn
thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

has anyone done this? i love my tint percent (32%), but i slid the shade open today and it brightened more than i would like.
if this is something that can be done, i'll do it this weekend.
if anyone has pics, post please!

a girl with an acura who wants it darker inside!
I've had this on my current car for about 4 years and I'm quite happy I did it. I like driving with just the shade open or shade open and glass tilted and this makes it so I can do it whenever. The original tint, if there was any, was like nothing. I found it could be like 30 degrees out but if the sun was right over the glass it would be too hot on me to have the shade open. I tinted it as dark as I could get it (I think it's 5%) and am quite happy I did. It lets enough light through but still keeps it cool. I'm assuming the TSX will be similar since my current car is also a Honda, so when it comes in, I'll look into doing the same. Hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:54 PM
a girl with an acura...

thanks, all. i mean, most.

i called the shop that did the rest of the car, and they said they didn't know if they could do the moonroof until i brought it in for them to see. gonna do that saturday.

again, appreciate the help!

a girl with an acura and a plan
Old 06-24-2004, 08:30 PM
such a dirty birdy

What I'd like to see is sunroof glass with some kind of LCD embedded in it that would let you adjust the opacity of the glass as you like. Or better yet, let you set a desired light level and let the glass auto adjust based on the brightness outside. Does anyone make something like that yet?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by majormojo
What I'd like to see is sunroof glass with some kind of LCD embedded in it that would let you adjust the opacity of the glass as you like. Or better yet, let you set a desired light level and let the glass auto adjust based on the brightness outside. Does anyone make something like that yet?
Actually in some clubs they have glass doors like that for the bathroom stalls. The door is clear when unlocked and when you lock the door the glass whites out so no one can see you.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by majormojo
Or better yet, let you set a desired light level and let the glass auto adjust based on the brightness outside. Does anyone make something like that yet?
Ray Ban came up with a changeable lens that adjusts its shade according to how bright it is 25 years ago
Old 06-25-2004, 12:02 AM
such a dirty birdy

TSX noob,

Yeah, that's photochromic glass and I'm pretty sure that it was invented by Corning. Anyway, the problem is that it can stop working after a few years. There is no way to manually control the tint level, the crystals in the glass are activated by UV light. Also the tint effect is temperature dependent. It gets darker at colder temperatures. In fact, one way to "unstick" a pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses with photochromic lenses that don't change any more is to put them in the freezer over night (really!).

The Corning photochromic glass is the basis for their Serengeti line of sunglasses. Truly excellent sunglasses, but their styles are a little dated.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

oh i know what you mean! i like driving around with the shade open but not the actual moonroof open... but it is like soo freaking hot cuz for some reason... im sure you guys have noticed... the moonroof isnt temperlite glass so the heat is burning! on my 6th gen accord coupe i hardly ever closed the shade cuz it had temperlite glass and the tint on it comes darker than the TSX moonroof so i was thinking about the same thing. . .
Old 06-25-2004, 06:31 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

I just noticed that we don't have temperlite glass for the moonroof the other day. I don't understand why, considering that I had that on my 4th generation Accord.

There are just some things I do not understand with Acura and the TSX....no temperlite glass, no one touch for the moonroof and no hood shocks? My GF has all this on her under $20k Mini Cooper along with one touch windows!

By the way, you should definitely be able to tint the moonroof with no problems at all.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

The moonroof glass has a mild tint for heat rejection, but it isn't that productive. I have a 35% film over mine to match the tint on my front 2 windows. The rest of them are 20% on mine.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Viking
Actually in some clubs they have glass doors like that for the bathroom stalls. The door is clear when unlocked and when you lock the door the glass whites out so no one can see you.

I saw that once in downtown Vancouver.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Race Director

thanks, all. i mean, most.

i called the shop that did the rest of the car, and they said they didn't know if they could do the moonroof until i brought it in for them to see. gonna do that saturday.

again, appreciate the help!

a girl with an acura and a plan
wickedlysane needs some loving guys :P

she's a nice lady

she might actually start a new trend like when we talk like junkster

a guy with an acura who thinks the moonroof tint is dark enough (IMO).
Old 06-25-2004, 07:40 PM
a girl with an acura...

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
wickedlysane needs some loving guys :P

she's a nice lady

she might actually start a new trend like when we talk like junkster

a guy with an acura who thinks the moonroof tint is dark enough (IMO).

thanks for the props! ummm, the phrasing of your comment leaves things pretty vague...FYI, i'm not looking for any actual loving.

a girl with an acura who doesn't want any offers for