Throw up smell in the back seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw up smell in the back seat

To make a long story short......it was my roommate's birthday and she a few drinks too many, and wouldn't you know I was driving that night. Anyway, she threw up in the back seat and although I cleaned it up right away I can still sometimes smell it. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? Also the perforations in the leather have stuff in them and I have already tried toothpicks and they just pushed the stuff behind the hole but you can still see it (Ebony interior). If you have any suggestions for that, I would appreciate it as well.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Dam, I would of reached back like a pimp and Smack the ho.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Advanced

in situations like that, a professional's help in a interior detail shop is definatly in order. You can mask the smell, but that is all you can do. You should take it to a professional shop soon because vomit has stomach acid... that ph level is not very healthy for any kind of material... I suggest you get it done right away to prevent rotting of unclean stuff and what have you.

Hope it works out,
Old 12-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Eat my shorts!!

u could try and vacumm the seats. and spray auto febreeze(sp?). but then professional help is needed to effectively remove any acid left over.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I've used baking soda to get rid of the smell when my friend soaked a mattress with lung butter and recycled beer. Worked pretty quickly as I remember, as it was hight school and my parents who came home a few days later and were never the wiser.

Long term though, I sure a pro would keep your leather from too much long term damage. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:38 PM
A-TSX Driver...

Ugh! Bring in a professional before it's too late.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:10 AM
Racer

don't use fabreeze, it won't work. you need hardcore DEODORIZER. pick some up at your auto store, such as kragens, pep boys, autozone, etc. if you can use carpet cleaner to clean up the mess, use some deoderizer to neutralize the smell and odor. this will save you money. but if you've never cleaned carpet or never done anything like this before, get it done professonaly, although its not that hardto do. goodluck

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know how to treat leather but there's been these such accidents in my cloth-interior lude and i just use regular dish soap/water and scrub it out with an all-purpose sponge. if anyone figures out a remedy for leather plz let me know...might be handy in the future...or tonite...
Old 12-31-2003, 08:54 AM
The Voice of Reason

How long do you plan to keep the car?

If anyone ever wondered why they don't use perforated leather in minivans, wagons and other kiddy transporters...

I think I remember something about the HCl in gastric juice causing much of the smell, and it going away after the acid reacts with the surrounding material or dries out. Might be worth researching. Otherwise, I suppose the only way to get it out from under the perforated leather would be to remove the leather cover from the seat, which might be best left to a professional upholstery shop. Baking soda would neutralize the acid, but I'd be concerned about turning a smelly mess into an ugly mess because of the perforations.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:31 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I had that incident once in my Integra. My wife wasn't feeling good after we went out for dinner. She threw up just about a mile away from our house. When we got home, I stripped the car down to bare metal, then washed the carpets using some kind of soap with fragrance, cleaned the leather seats, the dash and the windows. I let everything air-dried outside before putting them back in. I was driving the stripped Integra for couple days.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Advanced

is it really too much to ask for someone to say "pull over i'm feeling ill" i don't know about any of you but anytime i was gonna lose my stomach contents i knew at least 10 minutes to an hour prior, that's ample time to get to a safe spot (bushes, toilet, what have you) and yes that includes times i've been too fucked up to even stand or remember what happened the next day... fucking lightweights
Old 01-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Instructor

The back seat base should be readily removable. I would take it out and leave it in your garage for a couple of days to air out. You should also find that the seat cover comes off - you can remove that and clean it from the other side of the perforations. Use compressed air to blow the little grains of diced carrot out.

For serious deodorization the professionals use ozone generators.

Incidentally, the room mate should be the one cleaning up, not you.

C.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by hondaloyalist
Dam, I would of reached back like a pimp and Smack the ho.

Old 01-01-2004, 06:22 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shit my turn.

new years eve

Luckily almost all of it went out the window. However I think some got inside the door when the window was down X2

I think I'm going to take off the door panel. Didn't someone have a how-to linked in thier sig for that? Back door :'(

EDIT: nvmnd http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1989
Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 AM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by tony4311
shit my turn.

new years eve

Luckily almost all of it went out the window. However I think some got inside the door when the window was down X2

I think I'm going to take off the door panel. Didn't someone have a how-to linked in thier sig for that? Back door :'(

EDIT: nvmnd http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1989
ouch, even inside the panel?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Ozzman
[B]lung butter /B]
That's SO DAMN FUNNY... I can't stop saying it!!!!

Old 01-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Advanced

i used to be in a band called lungbutter
Old 01-02-2004, 01:00 PM
ABP TSX

My wife at least made it to the toilet New Year's morning. She does not drink that often though. However, I drink straight gin over ice almost every day and go through well over a liter a week.

Also, like a previous poster said, I have always known well in advance if I was going to yack anyway. I think this kind of accident is preventable.

Good luck and let us know if the smell is eradicated.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by iamhomin
ouch, even inside the panel?
yeah When the window was down in went in the crack
Old 01-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by dirk
is it really too much to ask for someone to say "pull over i'm feeling ill" i don't know about any of you but anytime i was gonna lose my stomach contents i knew at least 10 minutes to an hour prior
I am with you on that one. I always know before it is going to happen too. But in my roommate’s case, she was so drunk she had become obnoxious and just needed to be taken home. I guess I kind of had some warning when she pretty much had to be thrown in the car, but the ride home from where we were was about a 3 minute drive (if that) and didn't think it was going to be a problem, unfortunately I was VERY wrong. When she did it we had parked the car and were in the process of opening the door when she lost it all.

Originally posted by chrisalberts

Incidentally, the room mate should be the one cleaning up, not you.

C.
If she was able to clean it up believe me I would have let her. However, like I said, she was really trashed and could not have done it if her life deepened on it. Incidentally, after we got her in her bed she later threw up there too but after cleaning up my car I figured, her bed = her problem. With that being the case I was not about to just let the "lung butter" sit on my seats and do whatever evil things it does to leather.

When I bought my car they threw in 6 free details and I thought this would be the perfect time to use it. I called my dealership today to make an appointment and they didn’t have any appointments until next week but I am leaving to go back to school this Sunday so I guess I will have to wait a bit longer and get it done at the dealership near school.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I had someone puke in my old car, which had cloth seats. He was aware enough to catch most of it on his suit but failed to let me know he was gonna go and I was a few blocks away from home!!! A few dribbles found my backseat and I managed to get rid of the smell after many hours of cleaning. I ended up getting a small trash can the next day, named it after my friend and kept it in the trunk at all times. I now keep that bucket in the trunk of my TSX just in case. So hopefully I'll never have to clean that stuff out of my TSX.