http://www.buddyclub.us/buddyclub/e_...e_Booster.html

Discuss

Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Found a review:
http://www.rx8club.com/showpost.php?...8&postcount=27
update

I'll give you guys my unbiased opinion as I am not affiliated with anyone.

I tested the product today and it worked as expected, should be on sale for MSRP $420 - perhaps targeting the stoners? Please keep in mind my vehicle has the MS CAI, test pipe, single exit exhaust, light ecu tune - these factors may/not play into responsiveness and thus my experience may differ slightly.

Anyways, I went into it expecting to increase the throttle vs input and be more sensative than oe ~0-10% throttle. My expectations were confirmed, and thensome.

We started out with the device in SP3 mode, the most aggressive. I felt ridiculous! It was like I was learning how to drive, the car would buck if I gave it any gas at all, no matter the input! Really, I tried my hardest to give it the softest hair of input yet it would shoot forward or my clutch would be unhappy. Once moving, response was EXTREMELY better. We changed it up between SP3, SP2, and ECO mode - basically the previous a more aggressive setting than the latter. In ECO mode it was much easier to start off, really SP3 felt almost hopeless, almost like an "on" "off" throttle switch in the 0-5% range. However, once going the car did feel much better down low. Psychologically I guess the rate of pedal push vs car acceleration may have a large effect but regardless, the car was MUCH more responsive down low. I suppose this is less faux than not because really, the car did not seem to bog/hesitate as it would simply by flooring it. I could see using ECO mode in the streets, it was helpful. The other 2 are definitely moving speed modes.

On the highway if you are cruising, then switch to a mode, the car begins to accelerate. This was very interesting, I could not cruise with the device! Like I said, it was nearly an on off effect. I was as gentle as could be too.

I could see this product being very fun when you are simply having fun, it really seems to make the car feel faster than it was before (ALL psychological yet POTENT) and they explicitly state that a dyno would be identical w/ and w/o the product (duh).

Ups :
-Better double clutches/heel toes/shifts - technically since you have to press less the throttle does indeed open faster than without and that slight difference is indeed noticeable with these actions
-Increased sensitivity, on the highway it feels like you are almost always accelerating with the slightest input, the car really and truly does feel faster/more responsive. It felt different than simply mashing the gas pedal. With that I envision bog, with the device bog seemed to not be present.
-Increased bottom end response, really, the low RPMs truly feel like the car has much more pep. I went into this knowing precisely what it did, if I hadn't I would think this is what a 4.77 would feel like at 0-70% throttle.
-Very easy to change setting/power on/off
-Very small, would/could sit on the steering wheel between the wheel and gauges
-Technically does not do anything. I do believe this device has more placebo than 90% other mods out there that truly do little-nothing
-"Blitz"

Downs :
-I am not even sure if it is possible to cruise on the freeway w/o accelerating, it really felt like a throttle on/off switch, especially in SP3 mode - you are either accelerating at a decent pace or slowing down. It was kind of lick bucking and because my car is a tad bit loud it sounded somewhat funny as well
-Technically does not do anything. I do believe this device has more placebo than 90% other mods out there that truly do little-nothing

So, is it worth it you ask?
Really hard to answer this, it depends what you want out of your car. Some will love the lightning throttle speed of the 0-20% range. It did feel very nice to hardly press the pedal and have the car 'go' more. Its almost like the throttle has less "play" with this device installed. Look at the Ups and Downs and decide for yourself the means vs results. I can see many people being VERY happy with this device.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't this just throttle position sensor trickery? Still skeptical.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

^^ Yeah, that's what it basically is. I'm skeptical too, I just wanted to hear other opinions though. From the review above it sounded like there were driveability issues in some of the modes.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Ryan, Kenny. It sounds like it just increases the throttle at a certain spot by a certain % but doesn't actually make the car faster. I guess it just advances the the throttle ever so slightly but still shows the "normal" RPM's so it makes it feel faster? That would just be the engineer in me and common sense though....lol
Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 AM
iVTEC no koe

Looks like a glorified version of the sprint booster from last year:

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/
Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM
iVTEC no koe

Correction: Sprint Booster is actually from 2006.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The last thing we need is another gadget to mess with the already poor DBW that we have.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

True guys. I guess I'm just bored and looking for more mods

I found another review out on a Honda fit forum. Still have to read through it:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/calif...ontroller.html
Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those fit guys seemed pretty sold on this mod.

kinda pricey too. like 300-400 bucks?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

The fits guys have not received the actual product yet. I would at least wait until we hear more feedback. I heard that Blitz is looking for a local tester. They are in SoCal close to LA. If you test fit you are not obligated to buy. And if you decide to buy, you get 40% off.

To be honest, this product sounds too good to be true, or that you could get the same result by just mashing the throttle more. I'd be concerned because it may make the throttle unpredictable. But we have all complained about DBW and what if this thing somehow helps. Not trying to support it, but maybe we should look into it. It's probably crap, but how will we know unless we try.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't come anywhere remotely close to justifying the cost on that thing though. It can't be more than $5 in parts and they want $420 for it!? Pardon my French but fuck you! It doesn't even add any performance, a fact the manufacturer admits to in its marketing material.

I would probably pay up to around $50 for a module that would give me any sort of throttle response below ~10% pedal application. I've never driven a car that's so difficult to shift smoothly at low speed. I really don't understand what the engineers were thinking there.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I couldn't come anywhere remotely close to justifying the cost on that thing though. It can't be more than $5 in parts and they want $420 for it!? Pardon my French but fuck you!

There is no doubt that thing is waaaay overpriced. Like I said above it probably doesn't work. Or if it does, it probably makes the car drive like crap.

For some reason though, the engineering side of me would still give it a try if I lived closer though. It wouldn't cost any money to test it, so why not. You're talking to a guy who has been through a lot of different parts for the TSX though. I just like to test things. My co-workers say that my car is like legos with all of the parts I swap back and forth. I think part of it is also that there haven't been very many new parts coming out for the TSX, so I'm just looking for anything. But in this case maybe I need to look the other way
Old 08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
Isn't this just throttle position sensor trickery? Still skeptical.
Based on my un-baised testing on throttle position sensor, I think this mod, BuddyClub or Blitz, will work and pretty much less labor on the TB.

However, thru out the testing, I found the downside as well, I'm going to share it here.

WHAT I DID ... Read if you don't know what I did...

I'm using the 06 TB bored out to 71mm on my 05 TSX right now, along w/ IM bored + gasket. When it returns to me, the TB position screw was not in the right position. My car would have a tough time @ Idle, it can't drop below 1000rpm and keeps bouncing to 2000rpm and let off. The acceleration was MIGHTY and it feels like a different car. Thru trial and error, I have corrected the screw to the right position (I think), and improve response is there with the mod, but not as impressive when the TB position screw is @ a wrong position.

I tried to play around w/ it and found...

1. When the screw is totally out (only 1 or 2 threads on the body), it gave CRAZY acceleration. Basically as soon as you step on the gas @ 1500rpm, it skipped the lower 3000rpm, and pull so strong that it feels like turbo, it just go and iVtec is not even needed. Idle is very harsh, VSA and ABS light would pop up every now and then, and when that's happen, the car stalled. I don't know if that's a stall, but it can't go pass 3000rpm, and when the car is lower than 1000rpm, the engine shake and can't go anymore. Has to reset battery to clear CEL or else no luck

2. When the screw is half way in (about 5-7 threads on the body), the acceleration is aggressive yet more subtle. When the car cold start, it would start from 1500rpm and slowly back down to 800rpm like stock, same when you stop @ a traffic light. Gas burn like mofo like #1, it still stalls sometimes, but not as much as #1. Sharp acceleration can be found above 3500rpm, but I'm not satisfy.

3. When the screw is almost fully in (only 1-2 thread left outside the body), the idle is stock like, ride is stock like, acceleration is weak compare to #2, but it still pulls stronger due to the mods. At this position, it has no strange behavior, nor any stalls. I'm still playing around with in to find the best combination, as I don't have a OBD-II reader to check the correct TB position.

I'm not sure if those e-throttle controller will cause the car to stall @ aggressive setting, but yeh, if it's half of the MSRP price, it's worth every penny.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Unregistered User

Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Ehhhh I rather spend the money on a reflash
Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by 1slwTSX
Ehhhh I rather spend the money on a reflash

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Drifting

^ Enough with the pointless spam posts already.

Chuson, I know this is a bit late, but what is this screw you're talking about? What does it do?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Advanced

i don't think this is a simple tps trick. I'm not positive but i thought the servo that controls the blade and the tps operated independent of one another. sort of check and balances or rather have individual circuits.

i too think this unit is way overpriced I mean way. the flash should be able to do the same thing so why not go flash.

unless you can't then I understand why one would be interested in this. the first test i think would be skewed since he already had a flash probable ramping the sensitivity up some then this piggy back comes along and makes that more dramatic.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Drifting

^^ FYI the Hondata reflash does not change the throttle mapping at all. I believe the reason is that it's not so much a mapping as much a function that considers a large number of inputs such as engine load, gear, air conditioner compressor status, electrical system load and on and on. Since there are no secondary systems to control the airflow into the engine that would be found on older cable operated TBs, they did not want to mess with it as it would be very difficult to not screw something up in the process.