Thinking of selling my TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
I dont know what the hell this guy is trying to do, and I dont think he does either.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Disway
and how about those sales tax you have paid, you are not getting those back..... and you will pay it again on you next car. Doesn't make a good financial sense at this point.
I agree. If he hadn't already bought the TSX then I'd say go for the Civic. But at this point he's taking the biggest depreciation hit by selling now to step down to a Civic. Another thing to consider is how much less equity he'll have in a Civic (than a TSX) when it comes time replacing it. Yes, he might "gain" $5-7K now, but he'll give at least half of that back when it comes time replace the car.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:43 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by itrhybrid
You must have missed the part where I said that I felt that I was at a point in my life that I should not be spending so much time, money and attention on my car when I have more important things to focus on.
How does selling your TSX and replacing it with a used Civic and a used S2000 devote any more money to your kids? IMO, it sounds like you're just trying to find a way to justify buying a S2000.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
The Designer

Heres what you do.

Keep the car since you own it. The TSX gets decent gas mileage and with 2 kids the civic is going to be too small eventually.

Next have money from your checks automatically deducted into various savings and money market accounts for your kids and for yourself. That way you don't miss the money or get tempted to use it and it automatically gets saved so you don't forget or make up some excuse why you don't save. I would also have all the major bills paid automatically as well. Setting up as much as you can automatic will give you a greater sense of freedom without having to worry about paying bills or saving enough for kids or something else. Then what you have left over you use for yourself and the household.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by STL
How does selling your TSX and replacing it with a used Civic and a used S2000 devote any more money to your kids?

Thats what I was wondering.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBadNeil
Heres what you do.

Keep the car since you own it. The TSX gets decent gas mileage and with 2 kids the civic is going to be too small eventually.

Next have money from your checks automatically deducted into various savings and money market accounts for your kids and for yourself. That way you don't miss the money or get tempted to use it and it automatically gets saved so you don't forget or make up some excuse why you don't save. I would also have all the major bills paid automatically as well. Setting up as much as you can automatic will give you a greater sense of freedom without having to worry about paying bills or saving enough for kids or something else. Then what you have left over you use for yourself and the household.

Nothing better than having our money diverted before you can spend it. I just had a RESP set up for my son so its an absolute certainty the money will be there when its time for University. I do the same with mutual funds. You can't spend what you don't have.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Advanced

To the poster. i understand what you mean.
You want to save, yet are overpowered with the urge to mod your car.
if this addiction is too strong to control, get a saturn. It's really cheap and
I doubt there are much mods if any.

You can parts-out your car. I can take one of the teres with the Konig next as a spare tire for my TSX
Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iamhomin
because sometimes the things you own end up owning you.
One of my favorite movie quotes:

"You don't own your possessions, your possession own you!"

Anyone know where it's from? (without googling/yahoo/searching/etc...)
Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. Guess I will hang on to it for now. Right now I'm mostly riding my bike and taking the bus to work so I'm barely putting any miles on the car. I think I may start changing my own oil too. I used to do all of my own maintenance on my previous cars, but had the dealer do everything for my TSX. I'm sure the wife can help cure me of my modding habbit. I can probably still do little things around christmas and my bday.
We'll also have to cut out a lot of our junk spending on take out dinners and stuff.
It's amazing how much you can spend when you're not really watching it.

Later,
James
Old 08-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23
"You don't own your possessions, your possessions own you!"
I'll answer my own trivia question :-)

-- Tyler Durden, "Fight Club" right after he blows up the apartment....
Old 08-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by itrhybrid
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. Guess I will hang on to it for now. Right now I'm mostly riding my bike and taking the bus to work so I'm barely putting any miles on the car. I think I may start changing my own oil too. I used to do all of my own maintenance on my previous cars, but had the dealer do everything for my TSX. I'm sure the wife can help cure me of my modding habbit. I can probably still do little things around christmas and my bday.
We'll also have to cut out a lot of our junk spending on take out dinners and stuff.
It's amazing how much you can spend when you're not really watching it.

Later,
James
What's amazing is that your wife hasnt ripped your head off yet.

I can see the convo "Hey, how about we take the kids to (insert place) this weekend?"

"Sorry sweetie, we can't, had to buy headers this week"
Old 08-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
What's amazing is that your wife hasnt ripped your head off yet.

I can see the convo "Hey, how about we take the kids to (insert place) this weekend?"

"Sorry sweetie, we can't, had to buy headers this week"
Oh it's come close, everytime I ask about something for the car......
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ lol

You have to get your reasons laid out before you say anything ( i.e. Hondata=better gas mileage)
Old 05-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I Only Park In

yo......... all i've gotta say is, DON'T DO IT.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:58 PM
I Only Park In

Originally Posted by cmf
That's why you buy your old lady her own ride. My old lady drives the Type S daily, so she has all the power she needs. She doesn't bust chops about my car, except how much I have spent on mods and have only tinted windows on the S.
YEAH MAN....... that's how we do it.