Thinking of a new TSX or Mazda3s Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of a new TSX or Mazda3s Grand Touring

I know this may sound like a crazy comparison, but we've come down to two cars and are having problems deciding between the two. The two cars are the Mazda3s Grand Touring and the TSX.

We really like the TSX, but of course the price is a little higher and it recommends premium gas. Those are really the only two negatives we see.

For the 3, it seems more like a kids car(I'm 33), interior materials are cheap compared to the TSX, and the gas mileage from car to car seems to be all over the place. Some people are getting 20mpg with mostly highway driving and others are getting 32mpg. The 3 is such a fiesty fun car to drive though.

I know they are totally different classes of car, but the 3s Grand Touring has just about all the features of the TSX with the exception of cheaper interior materials, bluetooth, and questionable gas mileage.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I know since I'm posting this on a TSX forum that there will be some bias, but I'll take any help I can get at this point. hahahaha
Old 05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I can't find my garage

hmm, how about the mazda6? well, the tsx is also roomier, but also heavier so the mazda 3 will get a better mpg. if you really need/want all those technogies tsx is the car, if u want some but its not a must and busgets a bit low, go with the mazda3
Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mltk53
hmm, how about the mazda6? well, the tsx is also roomier, but also heavier so the mazda 3 will get a better mpg. if you really need/want all those technogies tsx is the car, if u want some but its not a must and busgets a bit low, go with the mazda3
We have test drove the Mazda6 a couple times, and wow, that's just not nice at all. The seats were much harder than the 3's, the sunroof didn't have one touch open(TSX doesn't either), and the dash layout was pitiful.......
Old 05-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I can't find my garage

oh, yes very true about the interior on the mazda6. and driveing experience wise, i wouldnt kno. but ive seen and experienced couple mazda3s. will u be gettin Mt or AT? Navi or no Navi?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Racer

Emm...I strongly recommand you TSX at this point cuz you are 33 years old man! I'm 28 and I don't think something like Mazda3 is the car for me. Too old to have that kinda ride. Just my
Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
B A N N E D

if you're going to get a mazda3 get the speed 3
Old 05-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been in my friend's 3, and while it is a nice economy car, it doesn't even compare to the TSX which is a lot more refined. I couldn't wait to get back in my own car.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I was going to buy the Mazda3 GT over the TSX 1 year ago so I can relate to how you are feeling....

As far as features go, the Mazda3 has almost all the "luxury" features the TSX has in addition to some that the TSX does not have. So that really questions what defines "luxury" now. Also, the Mazda3 s performs about the same as the TSX too, if not faster. So there goes the "sporty" advantage of the TSX (besides handling).

If you were younger, I would have said Mazda3 all the way. It is a really nice car and you wouldn't know it's an economy car if the badge was removed. However, I have no regrets getting the TSX over the Mazda3, because I think it fits my lifestyle better, and I didn't mind paying a little extra for the Acura brand. I am only 24 so at 33, you should really get the TSX.

You should also take a look at the new Nissan Altima and refreshed Honda Accord V6.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I test drove a Mazda 3 (GT, Special Edition something or other with tons of extras) when I was shopping for the TSX. I thought the 3 had a nice sporty ride, and was pretty quick for what it was. But the interior really was kind of cheap. If I just needed to save money, I think the 3 would be a good way to go, but I much preferred the TSX. Still, not a bad car, certainly for the money.

But in that same price range as a 3 with a lot of extras (or maybe a tad more), I could have also gotten a tC, which I preferred. Also fun to drive, but the interior was nice. Although it was a coupe, the backseat was decent compared to most coupes. A real nice car for the price, and I think I could have been pretty happy with it.

But no, it's not crazy to shop such different cars, but at some point you have to decide if you can really afford the more expensive car or can live with some more compromises. It can not be emphasized enough that even though it seems a small amount per month, the thousands of dollars difference between cars can make a big difference in your long-term financial health.... Well, there's always the ramen noodle diet.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mltk53
oh, yes very true about the interior on the mazda6. and driveing experience wise, i wouldnt kno. but ive seen and experienced couple mazda3s. will u be gettin Mt or AT? Navi or no Navi?
We've been looking at the 5AT w/o Navi due to the fact that it would be my wifes primary driver and she can't drive a MT.

Thanks for all the comments. Trust me, we've been back and forth on this for several weeks and was wanting to get input from a few others.

We have looked at the Altima and she does not like the gigantic tail lights. We also drove the Accord, and that thing had so much body roll that I thought I was going to be sea sick!!! It reminded me of my mom's Grand Marquis. I remember the Accord from the mid 90's and it was much sportier than the current one.

I definitely welcome any more comments or advise.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a used 06 tsx.. i got mine for 22k before ttl with 16k last december..
i'm 19. and i figured this car will last me forever.. [even after all my mods] it still is a luxury sedan that i can drive to a REAL job =)
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 PM
10th Gear

Early on when deciding which car to buy, I considered Mazda 3 as well. But what made me decide against it was that the driver's legroom felt too cramped. My right leg was hitting the side of the center console and it was a deal breaker for me. Also, the interior materials felt too cheap compared to the TSX.

Otherwise, it is a great car.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Car Nut

The Mazda3 is a nice car, and substantially cheaper than the TSX. I also looked at it before I decided on getting something slightly upmarket and also bigger.

Problems I found with the Mazda3 GT: cramped back seat (I have 2 kids), not enough space between the brake pedal and the side of the footwell (my size 11E shoe barely fit between the brake and the console, so I had to move my heel against the console in order to press on the gas. Changing the way I drive was a deal breaker for me. I also found the engine to be a bit buzzy (good, but not as smooth as what Honda got me used to over the last 15 years with my 2 Civics). I really liked the power (for a car of the category), transmission was OK, great handling, decent seats, etc.

Not a bad car at all! it just wasn't right for me!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazymagman
I know this may sound like a crazy comparison, but we've come down to two cars and are having problems deciding between the two. The two cars are the Mazda3s Grand Touring and the TSX.

We really like the TSX, but of course the price is a little higher and it recommends premium gas. Those are really the only two negatives we see.

For the 3, it seems more like a kids car(I'm 33), interior materials are cheap compared to the TSX, and the gas mileage from car to car seems to be all over the place. Some people are getting 20mpg with mostly highway driving and others are getting 32mpg. The 3 is such a fiesty fun car to drive though.

I know they are totally different classes of car, but the 3s Grand Touring has just about all the features of the TSX with the exception of cheaper interior materials, bluetooth, and questionable gas mileage.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I know since I'm posting this on a TSX forum that there will be some bias, but I'll take any help I can get at this point. hahahaha

I think that if you're still worried about premium vs regular vs mileage, you shouldn't even be considering an entry-luxury car.
Good luck
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by celticdude69
Early on when deciding which car to buy, I considered Mazda 3 as well. But what made me decide against it was that the driver's legroom felt too cramped. My right leg was hitting the side of the center console and it was a deal breaker for me. Also, the interior materials felt too cheap compared to the TSX.

Otherwise, it is a great car.

Yeah me too my legs kept hitting the console, especially the right.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Race Director

get the TSX
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Ex-King of Pasadena

my previous car's a 05 Mazda 3 in canada....(i crashed it.. ) Rented Mazda 6 for about half a year.... Now a tsx..
Comparing it, yea, i wld agree with some of the people saying that Maz 3's for young people, and tsx's more mature. Maz 3 and Maz 6's not as comfortable as tsx.
oh well, i m not that good in cars. so, anyway, i will suggest u getting the tsx more.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Cruisin'

Well, we did it last night. We got an Arctic blue '07 TSX. I must say that the ride and wind noise(with windows down) was much quieter than our 2000 Maxima was. What a great ride!!! Also, we averaged 36mpg in mixed driving on the way back from the dealership to the house, and then back to her work, and then back to the house...... We had to go back to her work to pick up my truck because we were so into the TSX that we forgot my truck!!!!!

Mike
Old 05-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^^ congrats!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by crazymagman
Well, we did it last night. We got an Arctic blue '07 TSX. I must say that the ride and wind noise(with windows down) was much quieter than our 2000 Maxima was. What a great ride!!! Also, we averaged 36mpg in mixed driving on the way back from the dealership to the house, and then back to her work, and then back to the house...... We had to go back to her work to pick up my truck because we were so into the TSX that we forgot my truck!!!!!

Mike
Old 05-15-2007, 08:14 AM
B A N N E D

welcome to the board! hope you enjoy the tsx as much as everyone else here does
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 AM
10th Gear

Great choice.... I would strongly recommend TSX over Mazda3 if you have another $5000. Since I own both car right now, a least I have some "feeling" for both car. I own a 04 TSX AT and a 05 Mazda 3s AT. The 3 is new one and the tsx is used one. I think mazda3 is a good looking car, too. However, there is a really big problem in their A/C design. When the weather becomes above 85....you will never get really cool in mazda3. I heard the 06 and 07 has some improvement ( dose that mean problem solved? ) but I don't really know since I never set in any 06 or 07 mazda3 in summer. In my opinion, both car have the similar driving personality, TSX is more stable, quieter and much more like a sporty "family" sedan. The price difference between these two car is around $5000~6000 (similar options installed). Both cars are great cars for the money. Congratulation~~
Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Racer

Great choice man
Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The TSX is way far superior to the "budget" sporty car Mazda 3 and besides ever since Mazda has been associated with Ford (parent company) it's a no brainer cost cutting is now a theme they live by. The TSX is a proven car which has been roaming the roads of Japan and Europe as the Accord. Honda (Acura) reliability is 2nd to none so enjoy your car for potentially decades to come!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Car Nut

Congrats on the new car and welcome to AZ