Thinking of getting preowned 07/08, loads of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting preowned 07/08, loads of questions

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting an 07-08 with Navi. I had a bunch of questions I was hoping you guys could help with. Here goes nothing:

1) Do you guys think I should go private or dealer route?
2) Will I be able to get any sort of extended warranty?
3) Is it possible to update the maps in the Navi?
4) Would any Acura dealer sell me a Switchblade key and program it?
5) Does the car have the ability to open the windows from the remote?
6) Does it have traffic/weather?
7) If buying from a private seller, is there anything I should look for?
8) What kind of mileage do you see NOT using premium gas?
9) Does the TPMS tell you ACTUAL pressure or just alert you if it is low?
10) Anything in general you guys don't like about the car? Only thing that bothers me is no push button start.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

1) Private party, but getting a certified used car gets you the extended warranty (if you're going to get that anyway)
2) See above, you should be able to.
3) My car's non-navi so I can't speak for this, but I've heard map updates are released every so often (annually?)
4) Don't know.
5) Yes you can open the windows with the remote, can't close it however.
6) I believe that became standard on 09+ TSX techs.
7) Prior accidents, damage, mods, etc. It's a fairly reliable car otherwise.
8) Don't know. I get anywhere between 24-28 on premium, more if I drive full highway.
9) Actual pressure, though I have my doubts as to how accurate it really is.
10) I wished the car had DRL, and the DBW irks me as I still can't drive the 6spd "perfectly."
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the help. Should I go 07 or 08? Whatcha think of this: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 AM
8th Gear

Lol this one looks like a scam: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...aptcha=success
Old 09-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to highjack the thread, but I too am looking at 07/08's with nav...

Can I add another question to the list? For those of you who live up north, how does the TSX drive in the snow, since it's a pretty light car? And should I "need" snow tires, or just decent all seasons?

Sorry again for the highjack, but your questions are great!!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
8th Gear

No worries... Does the car have auto-wipers?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
Sorry to highjack the thread, but I too am looking at 07/08's with nav...

Can I add another question to the list? For those of you who live up north, how does the TSX drive in the snow, since it's a pretty light car? And should I "need" snow tires, or just decent all seasons?

Sorry again for the highjack, but your questions are great!!
It's decent in the snow with snow tires. I don't like it without them, though.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here are some answers:

A - I would go private to save some money. Look on Craigslist or in your local paper (cars.com and autotrader.com seem to be mostly dealers).

2) Will I be able to get any sort of extended warranty?
A - I know you can get the extended warranty if you go with the CPO.

3) Is it possible to update the maps in the Navi?
A - Yes. You can buy the updated DVD and it comes with the new maps.

4) Would any Acura dealer sell me a Switchblade key and program it?
A - You don't need to do it through the dealer. There is a thread on here that explains all about it: Link

5) Does the car have the ability to open the windows from the remote?
A - Yes, you can open the windows but you cannot close them with the FOB

A - No

A - Just drive it and make sure it's in good shape. If you live up north, make sure the bottom isn't rusted out.

A - I have only tried it once and my engine pinged like crazy so I haven't done it since. Also, I normally pump about 10 gallons (I pump when I get to 1/4 tank) and it costs me about $2.50 more to use premium than regular. It's worth it, IMHO.

9) Does the TPMS tell you ACTUAL pressure or just alert you if it is low?
A- Actual pressure

10) Anything in general you guys don't like about the car? Only thing that bothers me is no push button start.
A - I don't like a few things. For example, if the doors are locked, you can't open them by pulling on the door handle from inside, you actually have to unlock it first (boy that annoys me!). Also, the turning radius is that of a full sized car. My brother's Maxima feels like it makes tighter turns. Other than that, I'm pretty happy.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
I would check peoples cars for sale in here...u might find something with minor mods on it already. Most people here all have a common trait, they love and take good care of their car (I use that loosely meaning that the people who have helped me and I am that way). But some people have a reputation on this site, and they are known. So if they are selling their ride you know you are getting something that does not have a trashed motor or some other shenanigans... Good luck with the search!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I'll hit just a few selected ones - most of the questions already answered.

I'd be open to the best deal, regardless of source.

Not on the NAV, but XM radio has stations that cover those topics

If it's been hit. Dealers by law will have to disclose if the frame was damaged. Private sellers might not be as forthcoming. I think regardless of source, if you think you'll own the car a long time paying $50-75 to have a mechanic go over it is a good investment.

This is just a personal thing with me, but why would you do that? There are LOTS of threads on this topic and it goes back and forth a lot on is it or is it not bad for the car. I believe the bottom line here is that the engine will compensate for the lower octane at the expense of maybe 1-2 MPG. Many will tell you it's not good over the life of the engine, some will tell you it's just fine. I get around 29 MPG with a mix of 65%/35% hightway city on premium. (soapbox) There are lots of other ways to save money than risk your engine on the wrong gas. And if you are driving the kind of miles per month where it matters that much, look at a Prius. (/soapbox).

I've owned my 06 for around 30 months and spend 90-120 minutes a day in it. I love driving it now as much as I did when I got it. I actually look forward to the drive. But, understand what you are getting - a fantastic car that does just about everything extremely well but few things great. But if you want a car that balances fun, economy, luxury, sport, and price all in a single package, the TSX is a perfect fit.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Racer

I'll skip all the questions and give a couple of comments now that i've owned by 08 TSX for about 2 years.

My opinion of the TSX is the best deal in the entry-level luxury segment. It doesn't have the best leather, it doesn't handle like a BMW, but it does every thing very well. What you get with a TSX is an extremely reliable, efficient, and fun to drive car with enough technology to make anyone happy. The car handles very well while getting between 22-32MPG. It is a wide range but the car is heavy for a 4cyl but is extremely aerodynamic so it get excellent MPG on the highway. The 6-speed gives the car a nice amount of power while still returning excellent MPG. I have an auto, but everyone says the manual returns much better power. That being said, the auto is plenty to whip around town, pass on the highways, etc. The i-vtec loves to rev.
I don't have Nav, but sometimes I wish I had it. It completes the interior and gives it a sophisticated feel.
The TSX will haul 4 around comfortably, 5 is tight. Unless you are looking for a Lexus plushy ride, or BMW handling, you will not regret getting a TSX.
After two years, I have changed the oil and filters, rotated the tires, and the car drives better than the day I got it. The black interior does give the car a sportier feel if that is what you are looking for, but it makes the car feel a little smaller inside than the parchment.

As you can tell, I am very satisfied with my purchase. My wife drives it most of the time and it is comforting knowing that she is in a safe, reliable car. She won't and wouldn't let me trade-it in even if I wanted to. She already says she wants our kids to have it. Keep in mind, we don't even have kids. I'm sure it will last that long though.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1) I would goto a acura dealer..just for the security n comfort of bein able to go back in the future for any issues and maintenance.

2) if from the dealer, yes

3) I beleive so

4) I know the dealers can order the switchblade keys but dont know if they will...what i reccomend is that you order from Marcus at Heeltoe like I did myself, their the best at that, pm me for any questions about switchblades

5) yes, hold the unlock button, and if you get a chip from KP technologies, you can close the windows down by holding the lock button

6) im not sure, ask someone wit a navi tsx

7) check for carfax, like thoose commercials =]

8) before I used premium gas I got 17.9 MPG, after switching I gained over 1.2 MPG

9) TPMS - actual of each tire

10) I dont like the fact that there is no push button start either, and I bought a push button start kit...but besides that, I dont like the weakness, if your like me, your gonna have to do a few performance mods
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I'll skip the questions too since they've pretty well been beaten to death at this point. The Acura CPO extended warranty extends your bumper to bumper to 5 years/62k miles and powertrain to 7 years/100k miles. And I believe it extends your Acuracare coverage (roadside assistance) to the 5 year/62k, but I'd ask the dealer for the details there.

I tested a few other cars being getting the TSX. Once I test drove it, I knew it was the one for me though. It didn't have the power of the Impala SS, but according to the trip computer I averaged under 10mpg on a test drive with it. And I only stomped on it once just to see what it would do. It didn't have the handling of the Volvo C30. But you can actually get more than 1 other person into the TSX comfortably and still have room for stuff in the car. And they charge you for EVERYTHING. Seriously, cruise control is an option? I didn't look at the IS, but from what I've heard its got almost no back seat. The TSX is a great balance of comfort, performance, economy and practicality. I don't think anything else out there strikes that balance as well as the TSX does.