synthetic motor oil, but computer says oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
synthetic motor oil, but computer says oil change.

i am using synthetic oil, but i think my computer thinks its conventional...what should i do? is there a way to tell the computer im using synthetic or should i just reset it? b/c i dont need oil change just yet at only 4k miles into it.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm...

4k miles and the computer signals you need a change?
it shouldn't even do that with dino oil.
not sure how it figures it though, so I dunno.

did the computer not get reset last time you did a change?
that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
where is my garage?!

it doesn't matter what kind of oil you put in. the ecu can't differentiate between traditional and synthetic oil. i could be wrong, but the oil life is probably based on a bunch of factors like the number of revs, throttle response, etc....they harder you drive your car, the higher revs you push it, the faster your oil life will decline.

if you really want to follow the change cycle of your synthetic oil, you can either just ignore the MID or just reset it altogether and just keep tabs of your mileage yourself. but i think it's just better to follow what the ecu tells you.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
it doesn't matter what kind of oil you put in. the ecu can't differentiate between traditional and synthetic oil. i could be wrong, but the oil life is probably based on a bunch of factors like the number of revs, throttle response, etc....they harder you drive your car, the higher revs you push it, the faster your oil life will decline.

if you really want to follow the change cycle of your synthetic oil, you can either just ignore the MID or just reset it altogether and just keep tabs of your mileage yourself. but i think it's just better to follow what the ecu tells you.
Yup.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The speedo has to be reset at every oil change. On 04-05 TSX's it shows check engine light when ignition key is inserted but engine has not yet started if the speedo hasnt been reset after 3k miles. The light stays on for a few seconds if u hit 5000 miles without resetting it. If it hits 7500 miles without resetting it, check engine light stays on. The instruction for resetting the speedo is in the manual on page 180-something, if I remember correctly. Dealers reset it by defauls at every change.

I suppose 06+ TSX's may have a similar system bc my buddy has recently changed oil on a newly aqcuired 06 TSX and comp. shows 15% of oil life is left.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
yea dude i asked the same question way back then. just whenever your MID pop up telling you to change oil, just reset it. i change my oil after two MID notices, so at about every 8k miles with full synthetic.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm while on synthetic and with my 06.. i've think my oil change light has been accurate.. when i would be driving pretty harsh, racing around to school and such. the light would come on after about 4k miles... while when driving normal.. it come on closer to and sometimes after 6k miles....

this may vary as you get higher in mileage.. im at like 73k now.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex

Yes, the computer keeps track of those factors such as the number of cold starts, how often you have short drives, etc. It also assumes that you're using conventional oil.

I see the OP is back in town. I checked your old posts and was surprised that you haven't asked this question yet. We need to add a link to your post history to the FAQ. lol