Stupid, But what is the "THIS IS NOT AN ASHTRAY" compartment for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i just put my cell phone there.

true, it's red, and it's bright. but, it doesn't bother me...
Old 12-28-2005, 02:13 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cats and Dogs living together. Mass hysteria!"
It's obvious that is was brightly colored with a brightly colored warning sticker to warn the passengers not to use it for ashes. I think the point is, why didn't they just put an ashtray/coinholder/catchall container in their instead of doing what they did.
The answer is because to get the ashtray and cig lighter you have to pay $$$ to get the smokers package. So, instead of actually giving a smoker a functional ashtray even without a built in lighter they give you a ugly looking pouch to stare at. It's "stupid" as the original poster stated. They could have given you something instead of an ashtray and still (in theory) have it flame resistant. HECK they could have put a plate over where the ashtray would be. hehe
Old 12-28-2005, 02:18 PM
6MT or Death

I understand that if you're going to pay $25K+ for a car you should be able to do whatever you'd like to do in it, including smoke. That being said, whenever someone gets into my car and says, "can I smoke in here?" I open the little door so they can see the red felt pocket that implores people not to smoke in this car. I've smoked for quite some time, but I like to think the note is there to say "isn't this car nice enough not to smoke in?". Then again I'm only 24 and I've never had a car this nice so I may be a little more apprehensive to smoke in it.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:27 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
I understand that if you're going to pay $25K+ for a car you should be able to do whatever you'd like to do in it, including smoke. That being said, whenever someone gets into my car and says, "can I smoke in here?" I open the little door so they can see the red felt pocket that implores people not to smoke in this car. I've smoked for quite some time, but I like to think the note is there to say "isn't this car nice enough not to smoke in?". Then again I'm only 24 and I've never had a car this nice so I may be a little more apprehensive to smoke in it.
Yes, true, you have bought a $25k + car with a free NO SMOKING sign. Yah, I don't smoke either, nor would I let people smoke in my car... but that's not the point is it.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lamster
Have you ever thought that perhaps Acura uses that bright red color to catch your attention in order to prevent people from using the compactment as an ash tray? Imagine if it were black as the rest of the car and someone accidentally put their car on fire simply because they didn't notice because it was the same color.

but why? why would someone use this compartment as an ashtray? it's stupid. there is no ashtray in this car. it's not listed in the features. if you want to use the center console as an ashtray....go for it. if you want to use any of the compartments as one, go for it. i don't care. why do i have to suffer with an ugly bright red compartment because smokers all assume that there's an ashtray in cars?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by cusetsx
Yes, true, you have bought a $25k + car with a free NO SMOKING sign. Yah, I don't smoke either, nor would I let people smoke in my car... but that's not the point is it.
Well I'm sure I'm being overly optomistics, but my point was that is why it's there and why it's red. I really don't think it looks that bad against an ebony interior. I have nothing to say to you crazy parchment people.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Still Lovin my 06

hmmm.....this could be a useful use of it. to blatently tell smokers not to smoke in my car! oh wait. i'm a blunt a-hole anyways, and would tell them that outloud!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Well I'm sure I'm being overly optomistics, but my point was that is why it's there and why it's red. I really don't think it looks that bad against an ebony interior. I have nothing to say to you crazy parchment people.

it sticks out like a sore thumb in ANY interior. i know why it's red. to let idiots know it's not an ashtray. thank you. that's wonderful. but i guess the question is....why should they have to let people know that something is NOT an ashtray. do reasonable people assume that that space is an ashtray?

is america this stupid? did the canucks get this obnoxious compartment too?

(i'm being a little playful, i'm not really this angry about it. but i do think it's STUPID, do you see BMWs with an ugly bright colored part of the floot mats announcing that "this is not toilet paper")
Old 12-28-2005, 02:39 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

I think all Airlines should remove their plates over their armrest ashtrays and make mini THIS IS NOT AN ASHTRAY containers.

We know why it's there (currently) and why's it's red (or at least I do). The point is why did they choose to do THAT instead of something less ugly and maybe even more functional. Keep in mind Honda did this in many (if not all) of their cars/trucks. They specifically sat down one day and said, "What will we put in place of a ashtray for those people who do not buy the smokers package?" Then the guy that came up with the idea for the Microsoft Office Assistant stood up and said, "I know! Let's put a bright red container with words on it that will warn people not to put ashes in it so we don't get sued!"
Gee, I wonder why Honda is the only one to have come up with such a BRIGHT idea. I mean, if there was such a risk involved, I would think ALL new cars would have these!.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Then the guy that came up with the idea for the Microsoft Office Assistant stood up and said,

I'm going to take a picture of my "Not An Ashtray" compartment tonight and make it my Avatar just to piss you guys off

And yes Brady Canada got the Not an Ashtray as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Originally Posted by dom

I'm going to take a picture of my "Not An Ashtray" compartment tonight and make it my Avatar just to piss you guys off

And yes Brady Canada got the Not an Ashtray as well.
NoOoOoOoOoOoO!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I think all Airlines should remove their plates over their armrest ashtrays and make mini THIS IS NOT AN ASHTRAY containers.

We know why it's there (currently) and why's it's red (or at least I do). The point is why did they choose to do THAT instead of something less ugly and maybe even more functional. Keep in mind Honda did this in many (if not all) of their cars/trucks. They specifically sat down one day and said, "What will we put in place of a ashtray for those people who do not buy the smokers package?" Then the guy that came up with the idea for the Microsoft Office Assistant stood up and said, "I know! Let's put a bright red container with words on it that will warn people not to put ashes in it so we don't get sued!"
Gee, I wonder why Honda is the only one to have come up with such a BRIGHT idea. I mean, if there was such a risk involved, I would think ALL new cars would have these!.

hahahahahahahahaha. this made my day. gotta love bashes on microsoft's uselessnesses.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

I think I'm going to call my dealer and claim that my THIS IS NOT AN ASHTRAY is broken and find out how much it costs to replace in all it's feltyness.
Ok not really... but it'd be interesting.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

For those that really need that JDM look ashtray.
http://www.intakeone.com/Interior/TypeR_Ashtray.html
"Interior Black or Red Ashtray cool designed by Type R. JDM look inside of your vehicles."
Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am amazed at the passion in this thead regarding a tiny red felt lined cubbyhole.

Ashtrays are for regular "folks". The TSX is a "luxury" car, so it doesn't have an ashtray. It has a jewelry box container for those luxorious goodies that all TSX drivers need to stow away while driving.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
I am amazed at the passion in this thead regarding a tiny red felt lined cubbyhole.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Ashtrays are for regular "folks". The TSX is a "luxury" car, so it doesn't have an ashtray. It has a jewelry box container for those luxorious goodies that all TSX drivers need to stow away while driving.
it's not really passion. it's more of a fun argument. i'm not seriously as angry about this as i come off to be. but it does bother me a bit. it's like the designers just couldnt think of what to do with it. and just quit trying. it's really amazing. but yes, i guess we can call it a jewelry box.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:46 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bradykp
it's not really passion. it's more of a fun argument. i'm not seriously as angry about this as i come off to be. but it does bother me a bit. it's like the designers just couldnt think of what to do with it. and just quit trying. it's really amazing. but yes, i guess we can call it a jewelry box.
jewelry box sounds better than comfy weed holder especially if I have to explain to a cop what it is. I've said too much.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

LOL

Maybe the SS should be labeled "NOT AN MT"
Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Ah ok that explains alot
Luxury car owners don't smoke or if they do they don't in their car or if they want to they can buy the smokers packages so they can and try to act like regular "folks". :wink:
So, going with that logic, if luxury car owners don't smoke, then why have something to warn them not to in the car that they wouldn't be smoking in after all?

And if it's not blatently apparent I'm just having fun with this.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:50 PM
6MT or Death

Ah ok that explains alot
Luxury car owners don't smoke or if they do they don't in their car or if they want to they can buy the smokers packages so they can and try to act like regular "folks". :wink:
So, going with that logic, if luxury car owners don't smoke, then why have something to warn them not to in the car that they wouldn't be smoking in after all?

And if it's not blatently apparent I'm just having fun with this.
It's so when the regular "folks" get in they know. sposin theys can reed n all.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:51 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

LOL

Maybe the SS should be labeled "NOT AN MT"
Yah their should be a felt cover over the AT shifter when you buy it that says that. Just to be sure you know what you are doing
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Dat dem der make senz

I AM WE TODD DID I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Suzuka Master

"You put your weed in there."

Actually, I used to throw my house key and Burt's Bees lip balm in there. I hated having a bunch of keys on my car one. I like 'em separated.

And I almost forgot

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=ashtray

Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Yah their should be a felt cover over the AT shifter when you buy it that says that. Just to be sure you know what you are doing

how about red felt on the accelerator pedal saying "this is not the break"
Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Exactly.

And, for those of you not familiar, red text denotes sarcasm. (Just thought I'd clear that up)
Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Dat dem der make senz

I AM WE TODD DID I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID.
holy! i havent seen this for at least 10 years! that's a classic. is it still around? do kids pass this around in 5th grade?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
6MT or Death

how about red felt on the accelerator pedal saying "this is not the break"
that would get too dirty. How about a red felt sign above the sunroof controls that says "Not One-Touch....unless you hold"
Old 12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Exactly.

And, for those of you not familiar, red text denotes sarcasm. (Just thought I'd clear that up)
damn, so i have to type everything i ever say in red? shit
Old 12-28-2005, 03:57 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

I'm calling it "my happy place" from now on. I wonder if I can replace the sticker with that.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
6MT or Death

I have an overwhelming desire to red felt all interior pockets that are not ashtrays. Then I'll post pictures to make all the anti reds vommit.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I have an overwhelming desire to red felt all interior pockets that are not ashtrays. Then I'll post pictures to make all the anti reds vommit.
i'm thinking of using pink felt do the same
Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
6MT or Death

i'm thinking of using pink felt do the same
Neon green would be pimptastic
Old 12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

holy! i havent seen this for at least 10 years! that's a classic. is it still around? do kids pass this around in 5th grade?
5th Grade? Dude I've used it at work and still got grown people to read it out loud. I wrote it in big letters on my whiteboard.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Neon green would be pimptastic

purple baby. all purple. and leopard skin seat covers.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
05 ABP NONAV BONE STOCK

Screw felt. I'm using shag rug.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
6MT or Death

purple baby. all purple. and leopard skin seat covers.
You wouldn't believe how many manufactures refuse to make a breast on the steering wheel that giggles instead of honking the horn when you squeeze. They said it was dangerous. Squares.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
6MT or Death

Screw felt. I'm using shag rug.
Nice, I'm doing shag across the ceiling with the hangy things on the edges. I don't know how to spell tassles
Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

This was getting way off topic (sorry, I contributed). I left the other "not an ashtray" thread open for discussion on what the "not an ashtray" could be or what you put there. Lets try not to stray.